Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

George H.W. oval office posted:

What are the best sites to pick up gear during the summer sales? As a Texas skier that's looking to put more time on the slopes every year it's finally time I got something proper instead of the stuff I've scavenged from Goodwill.

The links in the OP are all pretty good, in addition I'd shoutout Corbett's, https://www.corbetts.com/ which can be pretty sweet for Americans because of the exchange rate arbitrage from Canadian (just got bindings from them.) I can also second Evo as a drat fine shop. Be sure to look up and obsess over hard goods at https://blisterreview.com/.

I've never done the wax-cake thing either, I'm always sure to just have some wax on my skis before summer comes. Sofar there's never been a problem. Spring snow on unwaxed skis is a painful experience anyway so the two usually go hand in hand. I do feel like an rear end in a top hat, though; I'm good enough and obsessed enough at this sport that you'd think I'd get with the program and be obsessed with wax, too. Somehow it never stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.kxan.com/weather/noaa-declares-el-nino-advisory-issued/

Release the Nino

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0-pHnykC9s

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
there was a few inches of fresh pow this Sunday at Mammoth. pretty unreal.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

bobz0r posted:

there was a few inches of fresh pow this Sunday at Mammoth. pretty unreal.
It kind of made skiing of chair 23 a slog the next day since it happened just at freezing level and then the next day was 50s in the base area.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Midjourney is doesn't the gently caress know what a snowboard is, but I want the outfit it generated.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

are his feet backwards

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Those are my powder pontoons

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Combat Pretzel posted:

Midjourney is doesn't the gently caress know what a snowboard is, but I want the outfit it generated.

did it write the text for you too

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/colorados-ski-area-without-any-chairlifts-bluebird-backcountry-announces-permanent-closure/

Not overly surprised they didn't make it. This place was kind of in the middle of nowhere and had no place to stay close by.

I think Backcountry use is up overall but slowing way down. From what I have seen most of the people I know who got backcountry equipment have barely used it.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

spwrozek posted:

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/colorados-ski-area-without-any-chairlifts-bluebird-backcountry-announces-permanent-closure/

Not overly surprised they didn't make it. This place was kind of in the middle of nowhere and had no place to stay close by.

I think Backcountry use is up overall but slowing way down. From what I have seen most of the people I know who got backcountry equipment have barely used it.

Never went, but I feel like the pricing and the terrain they had wasn't helping either. Pretty spendy for tickets and most of the time they only had ~400-500' runs open. Probably not very many people who are going to make that drive again and again for that experience.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

I am very hopeful for a coming glut of lightly used gear that drives down prices.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have some 2008 Gotamas with original Dukes on them if you want some old gear on the cheap

Can't say they'd qualify as "lightly used" though

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You’re kind to offer but I have my own well-used gear. I want good deals on stuff I’m too cheap to buy new from people who weren’t.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I only bought BC stuff because I was moving out west. Could never imagine dealing with the backcountry in New England, even if Tucks is a legendary spot. There's simply not enough good snow days in New England anymore for the weekend warriors from Boston to commit to a backcountry day over a mediocre day at the resort, if your goal is to actually go ski. Meanwhile if I drive the 4hrs from LA to the Eastern Sierra, even if the snow is crap, I get a hike with some amazing views.

Also I've noticed that resort skiers and backcountry skiers tend to have different attitudes toward experiencing the outdoors, and sadly a lot of people who I imagine would be very into BC skiing are hesitant about investing their time and money into learning how to ski at a resort first (especially if there aren't small mountains nearby). MIT's outing club has a nice program open to the community with volunteer trip leaders and cheap A/T equipment rentals, but that's not exactly something you see elsewhere.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 10, 2023

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
pretty sure most people who got into BC because it was trendy gave up after their first 1000 ft ascent

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Suicide Watch posted:

a lot of people who I imagine would be very into BC skiing are hesitant about investing their time and money into learning how to ski at a resort first

That was me for years

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Turns out climbing up hill for a few turns is miserable to the vast majority of the population.

A million times so with COVID pocked lungs, who'da thunk it?

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 11, 2023

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I view the bc as an opportunity to go for a nice hike with a much more pleasant decent than downhiking.

If you have to drive a few hours I think it's less appealing than my 30-45 minute drive to a trailhead. Or to a resort to uphill inbounds for that matter.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
lol there are sooooo many more people going uphill here (inbounds) that they had to make an uphill pass. Also sucks going down a narrow cat track and there’s a conga line of em.

https://summitatsnoqualmie.com/uphill-travel-policy

Rotten fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 11, 2023

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I suspect Telluride isn’t far behind on creating an uphill pass. They restrict uphill to two beginner runs, but at the top of those runs there’s a lift that doesn’t have pass scanners so if you’re willing to put in the work you can totally sneak onto the upper resort.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

A lot of New England resorts have uphill passes or policies, most of which arrived during the pandemic. But even some of the friendliest resorts here seem to be starting to rethink the degree to which they welcome uphillers. And I don’t doubt that some bad behavior by tourers is part of that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I generally wouldn't bother skinning in a resort when it's open but last season some of my best skiing was when our local place (snowbowl in mt) was closed or broken down. early season before they even opened was amazing, then the powder day where the power went out and I had to go home and get my other skis I think i had one of my best runs of all time.

But also for me skiing uphill goes pretty well with my normal rest of the year activities involving riding bikes up mountains.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Rotten posted:

lol there are sooooo many more people going uphill here (inbounds) that they had to make an uphill pass. Also sucks going down a narrow cat track and there’s a conga line of em.

People skinning are the least of your worries at snoqualmie, they’re slow and predictable. Much easier to avoid than the people with kids on 20ft leashes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Rotten posted:

Not only that but after people bought the uphill pass for the season, they limited the hours and days of uphill travel to weekdays only.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
I guess it’s only really an issue for me at Hyak

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Uphill resort passes are about money, nothing else. Which makes it even crazier that Vail doesn't have them (at least at the Colorado resorts).

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Both Aspen and Sunlight have them, but you get a free uphill pass with your season pass. I uphill inbounds at least once a week, usually twice, for the convenience of a workout before work. Also the Colorado snowpack and general backcountry hazards make solo backcountry risky in most areas, so it's nice not to worry. There are like three spots in the valley I'll go solo, but the ability to crank out a bigger amount of vert on the resort and the fact that I'm like 10 mns from work after I'm done doing a Tiehack lap is nice.

I wouldn't pay for an uphill pass, though. Like if we're on a ski road trip, we're always either paying for a lift ticket or going into the bc. I am firmly on it being a dumb cash grab.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Most New England resorts do uphill day tickets for a nominal amount, like $10 or $20, that I don’t mind paying the few times I want to skin at a resort. But at least some do only uphill season passes and
gently caress that. Waterville Valley is one.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The one at snoqualmie is like $50 for the season so its pretty minimal.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

spwrozek posted:

Uphill resort passes are about money, nothing else. Which makes it even crazier that Vail doesn't have them (at least at the Colorado resorts).

I believe the Vail resorts are on public land and thus are limited in how they can sell or deny uphill travel.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Mammoth still has plenty of snow, y’all. This was Thursday.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Also awesome: ample dispersed camping with 3-4 miles of lifts

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I forgot to post my pictures from 4th of July weekend but suffice to say it was a LOT busier than what you got mid week. Gratz on spoiling your kids with summer skiing!

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 13, 2023

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

asur posted:

I believe the Vail resorts are on public land and thus are limited in how they can sell or deny uphill travel.

Most the non Vail owned resorts in Colorado require an uphill pass and are located on public land.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah Aspen is on public land and has a $60 season/$10 day uphill pass. They "justify" it as maintaining the facilities, snowcats, etc.

Several resorts have safe sidecountry routes you can use to access an inbound descent. I work up the side of Sunlight via some OB work roads and Babbish Gulch and descend inbounds when I'm over there.

I think Vail resorts just don't get enough uphill traffic to warrant a pass, but it's been a while since I've been at one so things may have changed.

Honestly I think resorts could lean into it way harder with more uphill lessons and rentals with backcountry skiing being more present in the zeitgeist. At the very least, sell it to yoga moms who want to get an hour of exercise before their afternoon bump and bottle of champagne.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A small fee is fine because you’re patrol’s problem if something goes sideways. We also live in a litigious society so someone else has got to deal with the paperwork around your being on-site. All of this has associated costs.

That said, at least here in CO if someone can’t figure out a safe place to skin without having to drop money for the privilege I feel like that’s probably the bigger issue.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Eejit posted:

Honestly I think resorts could lean into it way harder with more uphill lessons and rentals with backcountry skiing being more present in the zeitgeist. At the very least, sell it to yoga moms who want to get an hour of exercise before their afternoon bump and bottle of champagne.

Hard to imagine the juice would be worth the squeeze for that potential clientele. Skinning basically sucks while you’re still learning how, doubly so if the equipment is beat or if you’re, like, wearing insulated pants. But after you have the hang of it it’s too low intensity to replace Pilates or peloton or whatever they’d be doing instead.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

waffle enthusiast posted:

That said, at least here in CO if someone can’t figure out a safe place to skin without having to drop money for the privilege I feel like that’s probably the bigger issue.

I would disagree. Backcountry hazards increase exponentially in the winter. And access to avy education is gatekept by expensive courses with limited availability. Finding a spot that YOU know is safe vs that people have told you is safe is a giant barrier to entry. I did not feel comfortable putting a toe outside the boundary until I met knowledgeable folks and only really feel comfortable determining low risk terrain is safe to ride after several years of experience as well as education.

Out here in the Elks it's doubly punishing because so much terrain is adjacent to very steep terrain. Like, aside from resort terrain, there are so so few safe places to uphill near Aspen. And if we get a sudden spike in danger, even previously safe areas can become dangerous.

I just feel it's disingenuous to say people can easily find safe places to skin in the Colorado Rockies.

ought ten posted:

Hard to imagine the juice would be worth the squeeze for that potential clientele. Skinning basically sucks while you’re still learning how, doubly so if the equipment is beat or if you’re, like, wearing insulated pants. But after you have the hang of it it’s too low intensity to replace Pilates or peloton or whatever they’d be doing instead.

Maybe haha. And maybe this is my sales pitch to SkiCo next season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Not in any way to counter your point, but because you reminded me of it and it is relevant, this book might be of value to CO folks earlier in their touring experience than you, to help navigate that difficulty. I have no familiarity with the terrain to know how good the recommendations are, but maybe you do:

https://beaconguidebooks.com/product/light-tours-of-colorado-atlas/