Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
remember the average american is functionally illiterate so unless somebody explains the news to them, they're not getting past the headlines

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Gotta crosspost for the sake of comedy

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1666814246414618632

"it seemed like the media figures that we've become accustomed to seeing on television during these crises... almost enjoying the moment of wearing masks again"

"particulate matter was not a concern until the EPA invented it in the 1990s"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trixie Hardcore posted:

:smugdon:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

we are hosed

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

tossing live animals into a volcano is in fact not cool at all
although i would make an exception for tossing billionaires

tossing in animals results in good farming weather, sorry but that's how it works.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cnnphilippines/status/1666831537105694721?t=CQGQsNs1OMKvh9hZazuy1Q&s=19

Uh oh

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Two minutes of incidental exposure to fox news is more mentally distressing than all the words I've ever read in this thread combined

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Two minutes of incidental exposure to fox news is more mentally distressing than all the words I've ever read in this thread combined

particulate matter is made up bullshit. also its natural.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

RadiRoot posted:

thus by a shifting of rhetorical focus the particulate matter is both strong and weak

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

this is healthy!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Volcanoes erupt all the drat time doomer

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Ever hear of the ocean floor? Volcano city

How about the land? Volcano town

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

RadiRoot posted:

and it doesn't hurt anyone. and if it hurts you, you deserved it

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Guess ill be buying more flour at my next costco trip to stock up. Not like I wont use it. I bake bread weekly and usually some sort of scone sort of situation at least once every couple weeks as well.

also obligatory - things aren't that bad, yet??? wait. gently caress.

yo pass scone situation instructions around, I need to start trying something besides bread

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Irony.or.Death posted:

yo pass scone situation instructions around, I need to start trying something besides bread

scones are really easy. something like King Arthurs recipe is fine:
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/scones-recipe

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

actionjackson posted:

can't figure out how to import blade runner font into preview, nor how to do a text box with transparent background in word, but it's close i suppose

You can use GIMP to just add a layer on top of the picture and import your text.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rip Testes posted:

Kiddo comes out and says they never want to outside ever again in response to the conditions.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

ah, a goon in the making

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/happyroadkill/status/1666856000018690072?s=20

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stereotype posted:

hmm but what about when there’s no more trees to burn

when there's nothing left to burn you've got to set yourself on fire

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I thought I was crazy but someone posted on reddit about store bought jalapenos not being hot anymore and I'll bet it's due to the whole biosphere collapse thing. I bit into one this year and it tasted like a bell pepper with negligible heat.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Oh wow, I did not expect to be this mad today

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I like the part where she cracks a little and says you wouldn't want to be breathing in soot all day

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

skooma512 posted:

I thought I was crazy but someone posted on reddit about store bought jalapenos not being hot anymore and I'll bet it's due to the whole biosphere collapse thing. I bit into one this year and it tasted like a bell pepper with negligible heat.

They probably had covid and couldn't taste poo poo.
Then again all food is losing nutritional value as well lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

France 24 is reporting that today is World Oceans Day so double lol that El Niño has also started today

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

skooma512 posted:

This is just industrial agriculture, op. Most fruit and veg is GMO’d via selective breeding for perfect appearance, shippability, and maximum yield. So your watermelons are seedless and taste like water, tomatoes taste like water, and peppers have no bite to them.

But hey, they have no blemishes and that’s what the American consumer cares about : the illusion of perfection around a cheap bland core.

Dendrite
Jun 17, 2005
Surprisingly uninteresting.

skooma512 posted:

Blame the Aggies. A&M bred milder peppers that usually look a little plumper and are what you find in most supermarkets now

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah that's most store bought vegetables

my parents grew bell pepper in their backyard like ten years ago and gave me one. i was cutting it up to put in something and took a bite. i just loving ate the thing, i couldn't believe it was so good.

the farmer's market jalepenos near me are NOT to be hosed with

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Xaris posted:

scones are really easy. something like King Arthurs recipe is fine:
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/scones-recipe

Yeah this recipe is fine. The biggest scone advice I can give is to use stick butter and freeze it - then use a cheese grater with big holes to get it evenly encorporated into the flour to make scones that aren't dry. Frozen fruit is a great mixin.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bob Ross Nuke Test posted:

This is just industrial agriculture, op. Most fruit and veg is GMO’d via selective breeding for perfect appearance, shippability, and maximum yield. So your watermelons are seedless and taste like water, tomatoes taste like water, and peppers have no bite to them.

But hey, they have no blemishes and that’s what the American consumer cares about : the illusion of perfection around a cheap bland core.

it's gotten better imo. it was bad when I visited in the mid 2000s but now the apples are out of this world and campari tomatoes are nice.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

with all this fire stuff and me living in nyc now and growing up in Pittsburgh I was curious if someone in the thread might be able to help me with something

I sent pictures of the smoke in nyc to my mom who first was in Pittsburgh in 1968 and she said it was even worse every day there. I tried finding some estimated AQI for Pittsburgh back in the 50s and 60s when my dad grew up there but since Google is straight trash now I can't find any historical estimates, just the last decade. anyone know where I might find that data or just know offhand what the average AQI probably was?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Maed posted:

with all this fire stuff and me living in nyc now and growing up in Pittsburgh I was curious if someone in the thread might be able to help me with something

I sent pictures of the smoke in nyc to my mom who first was in Pittsburgh in 1968 and she said it was even worse every day there. I tried finding some estimated AQI for Pittsburgh back in the 50s and 60s when my dad grew up there but since Google is straight trash now I can't find any historical estimates, just the last decade. anyone know where I might find that data or just know offhand what the average AQI probably was?

just google it for a city somewhere that still makes steal with coal power and then add a bunch more for dirty car exhaust

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skooma512 posted:

You can use GIMP to just add a layer on top of the picture and import your text.

ah OK thanks

I installed the font but it didn't show up in preview for some reason, but it did show up in word

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol facebook recommends me:

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/georgia-peach-shortage-farmers-cold-weather

quote:

ATLANTA - You may be out of luck this season if you're looking for fresh Georgia peaches.

The fruit that gave Georgia its nickname has been hit hard by the warmer weather last winter.

Georgia normally produces more than 130 million pounds of peaches a year, making it the third-largest producer of the peaches in the country behind South Carolina and California.

But the fruit requires a certain number of "chill hours" when the temperature ranges between 32 and 45 degrees.

But since the state didn't have enough cold hours this year, the crop suffered.By the time colder temperatures came in during the March cold snap, many of the crops has already started to bloom and were damaged.

An associate professor of horticulture at the University of Georgia told CNN that Georgia lost over 90% of its peach crop.

Experts say climate change is to blame.

Brad Rippey, a U.S. Department of Agriculture meteorologist, told CNN that the warm weather before a spring blast of cold has become more common recently - citing a 2017 freeze in March that hurt Georgia and South Carolina's crops.

Still, despite the limited supply, many Georgia orchards are still selling what remains of their peach crop - though you may have to spend a little bit more to bite into that first peach of the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Maed posted:

not what you asked for but "Pittsburg in the late 1960s"