Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

BonHair posted:

That's a nice positive spin on that whole process. They will be poor, in debt, homeless and unlikely to get a job, so way more incentive than before probably.

Only solution is to make them pay back the state for their time in jail, then they'll finally be incentivized.

Poor Liz Holmes should be spared that unnecessary expense by not putting her in jail though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Okay, okay yes, inflation is being driven by corporations squeezing people dry and not because workers had too much money. So sure, we curb stomped your savings using the fed and crushed your wages. But have you thought about how our greed is actually good for Number?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Okay, okay yes, inflation is being driven by corporations squeezing people dry and not because workers had too much money. So sure, we curb stomped your savings using the fed and crushed your wages. But have you thought about how our greed is actually good for Number?

But have you considered that A Rising Tide Lifts All of My Many Boats?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Shame Boy posted:

A rising tide lifts all boats...but those without boats drown.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh so we just gonna let people post Arian propaganda here I guess

st augustine was a son of a bitch

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

this cannot be stressed enough

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Finally somebody is thinking of the economy. I'd hate for the market to not be represented.

Its the stupid economy!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

was st. augustine the one who supposedly made a golem to help him out with household chores but then destroyed the golem because it was really social and always wanted to talk?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

bedpan posted:

was st. augustine the one who supposedly made a golem to help him out with household chores but then destroyed the golem because it was really social and always wanted to talk?

No.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

bedpan posted:

If this wasn't Augustine who was this? Sounds like a cool story

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pretty sure that's that one guy who wrote about tulpas in like the 1800's

e: It was a lady in the first half of the 1900's:

quote:

Spiritualist Alexandra David-Néel stated that she had observed Buddhist tulpa creation practices in 20th-century Tibet.[6][1] She described tulpas as "magic formations generated by a powerful concentration of thought."[17]: 331  David-Néel believed that a tulpa could develop a mind of its own: "Once the tulpa is endowed with enough vitality to be capable of playing the part of a real being, it tends to free itself from its maker's control. According to David-Néel, this happens nearly mechanically, just as the child, when her body is completed and able to live apart, leaves its mother's womb."[17]: 283  She said she had created such a tulpa in the image of a jolly Friar Tuck-like monk, which she claimed had later developed independent thought and had to be destroyed.[18][3] David-Néel raised the possibility that her experience was illusory: "I may have created my own hallucination", though she said others could see the thoughtforms that she created.[17]: 176 

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

prison sentences should be exponentially tied to wealth

if elon jaywalks i want him to have seven thousand consecutive life sentences

He's too fat to walk.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rodney The Yam II posted:

If this wasn't Augustine who was this? Sounds like a cool story

In doing some cursory looking around it was St. Thomas Aquinas. Albertus Magnus made a robot to help with household chores but the robot always wanted to talk and this annoyed St. Thomas Aquinas to the point that he destroyed the robot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it was totally a little guy in there that massive dude, Tom "the ox" brutally murdered

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kleeposting/status/1630969121935327239

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

my roomba keeps wanting to make smalltalk! what do I do?

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

bedpan posted:

In doing some cursory looking around it was St. Thomas Aquinas. Albertus Magnus made a robot to help with household chores but the robot always wanted to talk and this annoyed St. Thomas Aquinas to the point that he destroyed the robot.

Incredible stuff

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
Caught a few minutes of ESPN Radio on the way home from lunch, the three announcers were full-on boners out for Saudi Arabia on the PGA/LIV deal lol. Maybe they will be able to slot in a Disney theme park on the Line

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

bedpan posted:

hosed up if true.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M36CwlLlPs

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Aquinas must've shown his creation mercy, because the "prime mover" is the name of a skid-steer at work and it lives still.

It's literally called that. I think I'm the only one who gets the joke. Also gently caress Aquinas's arguments "God must exist cuz, yknow, how else this happen?" If we're just gonna officially make God mean "poo poo I don't or can't explain or perceive" than of course we're all theists. poo poo I don't or can't know absolutely exists!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BRJurgis posted:

Aquinas must've shown his creation mercy, because the "prime mover" is the name of a skid-steer at work and it lives still.

It's literally called that. I think I'm the only one who gets the joke. Also gently caress Aquinas's arguments "God must exist cuz, yknow, how else this happen?" If we're just gonna officially make God mean "poo poo I don't or can't explain or perceive" than of course we're all theists. poo poo I don't or can't know absolutely exists!

pretty sure his more famous proof of god was the opposite, because he can concieve of a perfect divine, the perfect divine must exist, because a perfect divine that exists > a perfect divine that is only a concept

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

pretty sure his more famous proof of god was the opposite, because he can concieve of a perfect divine, the perfect divine must exist, because a perfect divine that exists > a perfect divine that is only a concept

Hey why don't it sound like that when I say it?

(I've never really read Aquinas, but everything I've read about his ontological arguments made me want to ridicule it). It's a funny skid steer though. To help the joke I'll see that it never moves again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Maimonides got it right with the whole you cant say anything positive or negative about a prime mover due to such statements relying on the concepts within the universe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bedpan posted:

my roomba keeps wanting to make smalltalk! what do I do?

encourage it to look into Ruby — a lot of similarities but more professionally viable these days

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

encourage it to look into Ruby — a lot of similarities but more professionally viable these days

Boo. BOOOO.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Australian hair salon offering weekly subscription for haircuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lLydTftGrc&t=46s

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Australian hair salon offering weekly subscription for haircuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lLydTftGrc&t=46s

This has been a thing in the US for years. Like, years before the pandemic.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ranter posted:

Payphone support was awful, but sometimes rewarding helping someone out of a jam.

How did that, uh, go?

"Excuse me, this payphone doesn't work."

"................... Then how are you talking to me?"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Animal-Mother posted:

How did that, uh, go?

"I'm trying to call my mum for help and the payphone ate my money please help me"

We were able to connect people calling from the payphone to another number.

Most were probably lying but I had people crying quite a few times that sounded really legit.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Animal-Mother posted:

How did that, uh, go?

From my dim memories of watching my mom use one in the early 90s while I read the instructions you could call out to 911 and the support line without paying. I think. 911 almost certainly on the grounds that not allowing that would be result in swift and brutal comedy and the support line I think because there also an 800 number printed on it. I think.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ham Equity posted:

This has been a thing in the US for years. Like, years before the pandemic.

Condolences I guess.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

MarketWatch letting everyone know kids starting to work in meatpacking plants at age 8 until the day they die is a really good thing, actually

Dr. VooDoo has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Jun 8, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
For the longest time I thpught marketwatch and npr's marketplace were the same thing. So I just assumed npr had gotten that much shittier since I stopped listening

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I type up my article stating that drinking raw sewage might be a good thing. But you'll never see the follow up article where I say no, it is indeed a very bad thing with zero redeemable features. The check from the NYT clears just fine so who cares.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

For the longest time I thpught marketwatch and npr's marketplace were the same thing. So I just assumed npr had gotten that much shittier since I stopped listening

It did.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

MarketWatch letting everyone know kids starting to work in meatpacking plants at age 8 until the day they die is a really good thing, actually

Back in the early 1900s, Lewis Hines took a bunch of pictures of child laborers that inspired lawmakers to implement protections that helped prevent exploitation.

Recently, a bunch of photographs have been published of child laborers, and our main response has been to pass laws making it easier to exploit children.

Modern Americans are loving inhuman monsters.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Ham Equity posted:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ham Equity posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
1800s americans ftw