Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
In other other news, remember Jacob Wohl? Yeah he and his lackey got hit with a $5,134,500 fine for his extremely gross robocalls during the 2020 election

quote:

Hi, this is Tamika Taylor from Project 1599, the civil rights organization founded by Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl. Mail-in voting sounds great, but did you know that if you vote by mail, your personal information will be part of a public database that will be used by police departments to track down old warrants and be used by credit card companies to collect outstanding debts? The CDC is even pushing to use records for mail-in voting to track people for mandatory vaccines. Don't be finessed into giving your private information to the man, stay safe and beware of vote by mail.

He's also lost a lawsuit on the matter, with damages to be determined by jury in August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The Bible posted:

Alright, what would you consider appropriate?

really sounded like you weren't expecting him to go to trial :v:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

susan b buffering posted:

weak toxx condition compared to your original claims

I don't think "meaningful consequences" is ever a strong statement since no team of engineers could design a phrase with more intentional wiggle room.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Killer robot posted:

I don't think "meaningful consequences" is ever a strong statement since no team of engineers could design a phrase with more intentional wiggle room.

"He may have been given the death penalty, but he was quite old. How meaningful could those last few years possibly have been?"

The Bible
May 8, 2010

susan b buffering posted:

really sounded like you weren't expecting him to go to trial :v:

He's been to a few trials, they just kind of fizzle out. He just stalls poo poo indefinitely and the courts just let him.

My idea of "mattering" is that he is sentenced, and actually serves that sentence, appropriate to the crime committed.

He is rich and (was) powerful, so that just is not going to happen.

Killer robot posted:

Feel free to define "meaningful consequences", then. Given what we know and what is currently happening with Trump, what would a reasonable consequence be for him, in your opinion, when these endless hearings are over. What would a reasonable sentence be?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 8, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Bringing charges is the most that the government can do for “mattering”, we’ve seen before that even with some blatant illegal poo poo done juries can be incredibly dumb or biased and let people off the hook (looking at you Maeluer)

Rich powerful people getting off the hook because of good lawyers and dumb jurors is certainly bullshit and possible but seems different than complaining the courts and such aren’t doing what they should

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Levitate posted:

Bringing charges is the most that the government can do for “mattering”, we’ve seen before that even with some blatant illegal poo poo done juries can be incredibly dumb or biased and let people off the hook (looking at you Maeluer)

Rich powerful people getting off the hook because of good lawyers and dumb jurors is certainly bullshit and possible but seems different than complaining the courts and such aren’t doing what they should

I'm just trying to see what will make you guys happy for a Toxx condition. You didn't like how I worded it so I'm asking for more specific scenarios.

I'm leaning toward "jail time" personally, but that feels so incredibly unlikely as to not really be a Toxx at all.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The Bible posted:

Feel free to define "meaningful consequences", then. Given what we know and what is currently happening with Trump, what would a reasonable consequence be for him, in your opinion, when these endless hearings are over. What would a reasonable sentence be?

It's your claim, not mine. "Will never see a day behind prison walls" is perfectly specific, so that's a fine strong assertion: I was saying to susan b buffering that it was a stronger toxx than the initial claim. I just mean that "meaningful consequences" is a term that's really popular for people who want to look like they're making bold predictions but want to 100% reserve the right to say "well I don't think that was meaningful when it didn't include....." to whatever consequences actually happen.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Killer robot posted:

It's your claim, not mine. "Will never see a day behind prison walls" is perfectly specific, so that's a fine strong assertion: I was saying to susan b buffering that it was a stronger toxx than the initial claim. I just mean that "meaningful consequences" is a term that's really popular for people who want to look like they're making bold predictions but want to 100% reserve the right to say "well I don't think that was meaningful when it didn't include....." to whatever consequences actually happen.

Fair enough. Prison time it is, I'll even allow for house arrest to count. He's certainly done enough to deserve it. Hell, maybe they'll actually charge him under the Espionage Act and he really will face prison time. I'd be happy to eat a Toxx under those conditions.

I don't think I will, though.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
thank god thats settled

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The Bible posted:

Fair enough. Prison time it is, I'll even allow for house arrest to count. He's certainly done enough to deserve it. Hell, maybe they'll actually charge him under the Espionage Act and he really will face prison time. I'd be happy to eat a Toxx under those conditions.

I don't think I will, though.

Hell count me in on that too.

:toxx: If Trump is convicted and spends even a single day in any sort of jail, I too will eat a ban.

Edit: and that's on any charges, state or federal.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 8, 2023

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
They're going to send him to a isolated resort out on Aruba, but then a year later he'll come back with a band of loyal chuds, waltz right into congress while in session and shoot an officer unprovoked and everyone will be like "whoa what the gently caress!?" Just before he's sent to actual federal prison he'll die of a heart attack from eating a big mac just a bit too quickly.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

They're going to send him to a isolated resort out on Aruba, but then a year later he'll come back with a band of loyal chuds, waltz right into congress while in session and shoot an officer unprovoked and everyone will be like "whoa what the gently caress!?" Just before he's sent to actual federal prison re-elected by a narrow Electoral College vote he'll die of a heart attack from eating a big mac just a bit too quickly.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Ah the tyranny of the moving goalposts of mattering. Fortunately there's an entire thread of historical context, but a year ago most were complaining that the January 6 hearings wouldn't matter, but there were elections and, quite probably, a ton of 1/6 cmte material used by the DOJ. The next never-mattering seemed to be charges, which are hours and months away, it seems.

I personally would claim that:
* A past president criminally indicted, for actions while in office, matters.
* A past president indicted for espionage (broad category, sigh, ianal) matters.
* Obstruction of justice, kinda shrug on this (charge it, of course, but this definitely requires a jury to sift through the details).
* A past president charged for actions leading to an attempted overthrow of the government, that absolutely matters.
* Bribery, racketeering, elections fund misuse, etc.... Meh, but it was enough for Capone.

Here's the kicker, these things matter independent of verdict because the country has, despite some silliness, a somewhat reasonable court system. These aren't just daily motions to impeach, nor online whining, this is the culmination of publicly available information coupled with lots of investigations. The media is not the law, some people lie under oath, but preponderance of evidence was crossed some time ago.

It matters when many well qualified individuals move this to "the legal system will now establish this is beyond reasonable doubt". Of course if some individual believes the whole government is a scam, there is no point where they will accept what matters. Quite frankly, they should just leave the country since they hate it.

Prison would matter to some, but if a judge sentences "you're old and need constant medical attention and thank you for your public service", that doesn't negate a (hypothetical) guilty verdict.

I worry that he'll die before we get the guilty verdict, natural or accidental. An indictment tomorrow probably means 12mo to trial, 6mo more to verdict (it'll be a long case). If he's on a campaign warpath, he might have a heart attack. Serious question, wtf do we have then, because they'll proclaim his angelic messianic innocence for 50yr if he keels first. ("Ketchup's Revenge, saw a forthcoming prison sentence and died")

The Bible
May 8, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Prison would matter to some, but if a judge sentences "you're old and need constant medical attention and thank you for your public service", that doesn't negate a (hypothetical) guilty verdict.

The guilty verdict would be meaningless here. Allowing someone like Trump to go free even after a guilty verdict absolutely sends a message that if you are in a position of power, you are free to break laws as you please.

Doubly so when someone not in that position of power would be allowed to die of an infection in prison and then literally rot in their cell for a couple of days, medical care be damned.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Levitate posted:

I honestly don’t get the left-wing shade for Mueller. His job was to report to Congress, which he did. That there wasn’t the clear collusion everyone “just knew” was happening wasn’t his fault, and he clearly laid out several impeachable actions which weren’t actually actioned. Sounds like the real beef here is with the Legislative.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I honestly don’t get the left-wing shade for Mueller. His job was to report to Congress, which he did. That there wasn’t the clear collusion everyone “just knew” was happening wasn’t his fault, and he clearly laid out several impeachable actions which weren’t actually actioned. Sounds like the real beef here is with the Legislative.

Because the man cared more about decorum and his career/legacy than about honesty.

Trump obstructed justice, they found obstruction but couldn't charge it due to the bullshit Nixon memo. But rather than say that they wrote an absurd report of 'well we' re not, *not* saying that he committed obstruction.

Then he stood by while Bill Barr straight lied about their findings. If he had any loving balls he'd have treated that as the direct, corrupt interference that it was and said flatly that 'Yes I believe the president could have been charged with obstruction'.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I meant the occupation of the Malhuer wildlife refuge by the Bundys and company years back
Despite taking over a government building and setting up and armed camp they got away with no consequences because iirc the prosecution bungled things and a jurist knowledgeable about jury nullification slipped by

I may not be quite remembering the details right but there should have been no reason they escaped justice for that stunt

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

I watched part of the collusion happen on a televised press conference.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Lol my bad, sorry!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Levitate posted:

I meant the occupation of the Malhuer wildlife refuge by the Bundys and company years back
Despite taking over a government building and setting up and armed camp they got away with no consequences because iirc the prosecution bungled things and a jurist knowledgeable about jury nullification slipped by

I may not be quite remembering the details right but there should have been no reason they escaped justice for that stunt

Have any of the fucks that stormed the Capitol tried to use that as a defense like well see there's a clear precedent how in the US it's okay to perform an armed take over of a government building/etc.?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Neo Rasa posted:

Have any of the fucks that stormed the Capitol tried to use that as a defense like well see there's a clear precedent how in the US it's okay to perform an armed take over of a government building/etc.?

From my limited reading, the 1/6 assholes seem to be split between throwing themselves at the mercy of the court and having zero regrets whatsoever. I haven't heard a single one put together a defense even as nuanced as bringing up Malheur as precedent. It would be funny to see one try, though!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Can’t believe modern Cicero Norm “Woke Insurance” Pattis didn’t think of that argument.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cr0y posted:

For the chud demographic he can do no wrong and evidence be damned. It's all fabricated by the deep state.

If it's true that Meadows flipped and got immunity and STILL is getting hit with some amount of charges then they have trump dead to rights.

Have we gotten to where Meadows was just a loser coffee boy that Trump barely even knew and is now very disloyal?

Or where Jack Smith is a biased deep state Soros agent who was appointed by (insert any democrat) and is in Epstein's flight logs?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Well Meadows does have massive loser energy , and I'm willing to believe that Teumo could bully him into fetching a coffee Diet Coke and fries

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Wait - there’s a GJ in MI too? Is for the same thing as Georgia?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Xand_Man posted:

En taro Assadar

TheDisreputableDog posted:

“Harlan Protass” - truly we are blessed.

They ... have no mouth and they must scream

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Pillowpants posted:

Wait - there’s a GJ in MI too? Is for the same thing as Georgia?

Guessing it might specifically relate to his meeting about plans to access voting software in both states, both of which indeed went through and breached the voting data there:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/21/us/trump-voting-software-2020-election.html

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gonna go out on a limb and suggest that The Telegraph's article was just speculation/bullshit. They were hoping for a lucky guess and getting credit for a scoop. No one else has confirmed it and it's getting late in the day if it's going to happen.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case

quote:

Donald Trump is asking a federal court to order a new trial in the civil case brought by the writer E. Jean Carroll or to reduce the damages awarded to her by a jury that found Trump liable for sexual abuse and defamation.

The former president's attorneys argued in a filing on Thursday that the $5 million verdict was "grossly excessive."

Carroll accused Trump of attacking her in a department store changing room during a chance encounter in the mid-1990s, and then of defaming her after she went public with the story in 2019.

Trump's attorneys argued in the new filing that a $2 million portion of the award was excessive because the jury did not find him liable for rape.

I suspect this not going to go anywhere.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What’s a good podcast to keep up with all this news nowadays? I used to listen to opening arguments but stopped because of the host being a sexpest

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Didn't he double-down and kept defaming her the same day/day after he was found guilty of defaming her? And now he wants a retrial?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s a good podcast to keep up with all this news nowadays? I used to listen to opening arguments but stopped because of the host being a sexpest

You can go back to OA, he got replaced.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Randalor posted:

Didn't he double-down and kept defaming her the same day/day after he was found guilty of defaming her? And now he wants a retrial?

And the judge, I believe.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

bird food bathtub posted:

He did? The latest episode still shows "Liz and Andrew break down", and Andrew was the weird sex pest one, not Thomas.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The sex pest found a new co-host and is still on OA. Andrew is the sex pest, not Thomas.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/robgeorge/status/1666605011286085634?s=42&t=vYGMjgtg31X780Jer9MHvA

the comedians who imitate trump are so good that I sometimes forget that's exactly how he writes and talks

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh, welp. Guess I got that one wrong.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

No, the sexpest is still hosting OA to this very day. The other guy was the one who got ousted because the sexpest decided to execute a hostile takeover of his partnership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
They did replace Andrew on the "Cleanup on Aisle 45" podcast though, which may be more relevant to this thread anyways:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/cleanup-on-aisle-45-with-ag-pete-strzok/id1549502623