Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Somebody please explain how many treasures I get in a 4 player game. The formatting is real weird. So I cast it for X is 3 and then say my creature dies, player 2 has no creatures or aren't effected by 3 damage, player 3 loses 2 creatures and player 4 loses 1. I get 1 treasure?

Yes.

And it only triggers once per turn so you can't even pick their creatures off one at a time with something like a Goblin Sharpshooter + Basilisk Collar to make many treasures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Card sucks. D-

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Incorrect

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yes.

And it only triggers once per turn so you can't even pick their creatures off one at a time with something like a Goblin Sharpshooter + Basilisk Collar to make many treasures.

Why even bother with that tease wording? Make a better template for these buzzkill brakes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Why even bother with that tease wording? Make a better template for these buzzkill brakes.

The previous templating for this kind of thing was "The first time each turn [X happens],". It's better on first read (because it front ends the disappointment) but worse to play with.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

so I decided to throw together a list for a commander I thought was neat that apparently has very few decks for him and wanted feedback on if there's anything I'm missing - since I broke down my Jan Jansen deck a few weeks ago I realized I don't have any artifact decks left that have black (Rocco, Dynaheir, and Gimbal) so that was part of the motivation, but also with me breaking down a Satoru Umezawa list I just wasn't clicking with anymore that also meant I had sleeves/UB lands/etc already prepped for a new UB commander :v:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

You might have fun throwing a Time Sieve in there. I use it a lot in my Eisenhorn deck.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

TheKingslayer posted:

You might have fun throwing a Time Sieve in there. I use it a lot in my Eisenhorn deck.

:doh: literally had that set aside and just forgot to put it on the list lol. fixing that

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Mix. posted:

:doh: literally had that set aside and just forgot to put it on the list lol. fixing that

Those new 4 mana bats that ping the table whenever you make or sacrifice a token might be good. Make a treasure? Ping the table for 1. Sac the treasure for mana? Ping the table for one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Would a mechanic of turning treasures into creatures be broken?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Not if you're turning them into creatures with power and toughness equal to their converted mana cost.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

Titania's Song does a good job of that. :getin:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Khanstant posted:

You just described Kuldotha Rebirth/Gleeful Demolition

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was thinking more a commander that could turn a hoard of treasure tokens into a swarm of vengeful x/x creatures. Or turn into blockers.

My other rough treasure commander or mechanic is something to sac a treasure to make a golden copy of target creature that can't attack or block.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Khanstant posted:

I was thinking more a commander that could turn a hoard of treasure tokens into a swarm of vengeful x/x creatures. Or turn into blockers.

My other rough treasure commander or mechanic is something to sac a treasure to make a golden copy of target creature that can't attack or block.

Brudiclad though it’s at like upkeep speed.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mix. posted:

I went and dug out my deck just to look and see what we had different,

Artful Dodge ain't too bad since it flashes back for a blue so you get to be unblockable twice out of the deal.

Security Bypass is also nice for another Become Unblockable enchantment and conniving to make Eisenhorn hit harder is always nice.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Framboise posted:

Titania's Song does a good job of that. :getin:

... how viable is Titania's Song as an anti-Treasure card?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Randalor posted:

... how viable is Titania's Song as an anti-Treasure card?

It's also essentially a Stony Silence. That could be a huge bonus if you build an artifact free deck, but you're going to draw some additional fire from the non-Treasure players. The degree to which that matters will depend on how competitive / political the table is. March of the Machines (the Mirrodin card, not the set) is essentially the same card without the Null Rod effect in blue if you want a more focused anti-treasure effect. Artifacts will still be made more vulnerable to creature kill and damage but it will only 'disable' the free artifacts and tokens by making them 0/0s.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow, the hobbit commander deck's land base is actually pretty good?? It's missing dual lands, shocks, fetch, and battlebonds but otherwise it's pretty much the landspread you'd want for a precon.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Almost worth it for the birds and toxic deluge alone tbh

Also a non-terfy essence warden maybe?

Framboise fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 8, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-lord-of-the-rings-tales-of-middle-earth-commander-decklists

All the decklists are out. And, yeah the mana bases.......aren't bad? For precons. Combat Celebrant reprint, Door of Destinies, Vanquisher's Banner, Throne of the High City, Shared Animosity, Talisman of Progress, Herald's Horn, for the Eowyn precon.

Galadriel precon: Elvish Piper reprint, Swan Song reprint, Heroic Intervention reprint, Overwhelming Stampede, Lightning Greaves, Whispersilk Cloak, Asceticism, Flooded Grove, Rejuvenating Springs.

Sauron Precon: Treasure Nabber, Anger, Scourge of the Throne, Reanimate, Living Death, Basalt Monolith, a bunch of the pain lands reprinted.

Hobbit Precon: BIRDS OF PARADISE???, Essence Warden, Toxic Deluge, Chromatic Lantern, pain lands, strixhaven snarls, Sanguine Bond.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 8, 2023

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Swan Song and Reanimate reprints are good too. I dunno how good these decks are, but the reprints are solid and respectable this time around.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm shocked to see painlands and checklands in the mana bases, and even a bondland in the Galadriel deck

Now, is wotc setting a new precedent for commander precons with the inclusion of an actually good mana base in each deck, or is it just because it's a licensed/UB thing and they want newcomers to seem like they'll get a bunch of perceived value in every MTG product they buy?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Silhouette posted:

I'm shocked to see painlands and checklands in the mana bases, and even a bondland in the Galadriel deck

Now, is wotc setting a new precedent for commander precons with the inclusion of an actually good mana base in each deck, or is it just because it's a licensed/UB thing and they want newcomers to seem like they'll get a bunch of perceived value in every MTG product they buy?

What does your heart tell you Frodo? Also I am surprised considering that this is right next to that new Masters set that's supposed to come out later on in the Summer or whenever.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I'm looking at the Food and Fellowship deck. Do the timing rules allow you to eat Sam's food token in time to get Frodo's lifegain bonus?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Silhouette posted:

Not to be too cynical, but I’m guessing it’s the second thing. They wanted to juice these precons a bit with reprint value and some better lands. That serves both newcomers AND current veterans who may want to grab a random precon but stay away if the value is bad.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

TotalHell posted:

Not to be too cynical, but I’m guessing it’s the second thing. They wanted to juice these precons a bit with reprint value and some better lands. That serves both newcomers AND current veterans who may want to grab a random precon but stay away if the value is bad.

They also presumably want to increase the sales of their Brand Management Junk so they can justify creating more Brand Management Junk. So you add reprints equity that people would have happily paid for to get them into that funnel.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gynovore posted:

I'm looking at the Food and Fellowship deck. Do the timing rules allow you to eat Sam's food token in time to get Frodo's lifegain bonus?
Beginning of combat phase happens
Sam's trigger would go on the stack, priority would pass around the table.
Sam's ability resolves, as active player you now have priority to eat the food, then it passes around the table again. If no one does anything else you move to
Declare attackers phase, frodo sees you gained 3 life and is now ready to tempt you.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I pre-ordered the fellowship deck a while back just because those are all my fav colours and I figured if I hated the deck I could cannibalize it into other decks. Looks kinda fun though so I'll at least try it out as is with some upgrades.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Beginning of combat phase happens
Sam's trigger would go on the stack, priority would pass around the table.
Sam's ability resolves, as active player you now have priority to eat the food, then it passes around the table again. If no one does anything else you move to
Declare attackers phase, frodo sees you gained 3 life and is now ready to tempt you.

Without context this seems like some elaborate kink play.
I mean I'm here for it, but I'm just saying.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ravus Ursus posted:

Without context this seems like some elaborate kink play.
I mean I'm here for it, but I'm just saying.

Frodo slides an envelope across the table toward you. You open it to find hobbit feet pics.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Batterypowered7 posted:

Frodo slides an envelope across the table toward you. You open it to find hobbit feet pics.

You can't bamboozle me. These are just regular hairy people's feet!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Oh wow. Swan Song has been reprinted, as well as Heroic Intervention and Reanimate.

All of those needed a reprint.

The Pain Lands are perfect for these, it's good they're getting included.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there any kind of white-based stax deck that won't make me roundly despised

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
No well built one, for sure.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Maybe I just try to find a CEDH group I guess. Without even really meaning to, I've acquired a lot of the contents of Oswald Fiddlebender Stax.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Khanstant posted:

It's not a commander, but Cyberdrive Awakaner turns all your treasure tokens into 4/4 fliers until end of turn.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Maybe I just try to find a CEDH group I guess. Without even really meaning to, I've acquired a lot of the contents of Oswald Fiddlebender Stax.

I like this one https://www.moxfield.com/decks/d4zAlVQFMEKR66oHU6Q2xg, but it's really just worse Winota.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Griffin Stax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0keaVZn4H40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Just pillow-fort instead of stax. Other players won't despise you if they can play things, even if it costs them 4 mana per creature to attack you and you have hexproof.