Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NPR Journalizard posted:

Sounds like a them problem

Sounds like you should figure out how to order a spare o-scope, hot air system and whatever else you want that'll fall off the truck before the wheels come off and they cut and sell the division to stem the losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

tinytort posted:

I've worked at my current place for nearly a year now. When I started working, my manager told me that she'd ordered uniforms a couple months ago and she'd make sure I got one once they came in.

A year later, she's openly given up on that delivery ever showing up and is now looking for somewhere local that can get us uniforms that are as close to the standard corporate requires as possible.

I've just been wearing a rotation of scrubs while waiting for the uniforms to show up, and everyone who does have a uniform has been getting increasingly frayed.

We'll see how many uniforms I get, once they actually show up.

We had uniforms when I worked retail and one year the company decided to rebrand everything, so it was new uniform time.

Policy was no visible tattoos so I told them I needed to have long sleeves, ok no problem, oh no they only sent short sleeved shirts it’ll just have to do until some long sleeves arrive.

For months I remind my manager about getting me the long sleeved shirts because I’m getting tired of having to tell other managers no I asked for long sleeves and dumbass didn’t bother ticking the long sleeves box or whatever.

I then get written up by my manager and told I have a bad attitude because my tattoos are always on show so I clearly have no regard for the dress code.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

McGavin posted:

Before working from home became a thing all my time wasting had to be in Excel, so I am now very good at building video game character build calculators that look like budgetary variance analysis spreadsheets.

There also some print and play board games that people have recreated in Excel on BGG, with a little modification (I like to add some company branding) they look very much like you’re “working”.
Deep Space D6
30 Rails

Work is dumb: Former project manager promoted to a lead due to redundancies and general staff shuffle (so the new big boss feels like he’s doing something), someone who has no business being in my business in general. He asks for some numbers for a deal, I point him to the list of tasks, resources and hours already included. He also wants resource rates to go with them, while this isn’t salary information it is sensitive information so I say no. He goes to his boss, my boss, my bosses boss, product owner and so on to ask for these rates and eventually gets someone to say yes so I send him that in an email marked “sensitive and confidential” - fully expecting to see it spread to places it shouldn’t.

Surprising it hasn’t spread, or at least not far enough to circle back to me, however he uses all this information to recalculate the costs (pretty much resource rate x resource hours) and then emails all and sundry about the error in our product and an $11k delta between the price we sell to the client and the price he added up. He has the gall to start the email with some poo poo about “I know no one wants to hear this but we have a major problem here and it’s costing us sales” and ends his lengthy explanation with a similar tone and the pressing urgency to rectify this problem.

I replied to his email about 11 minutes later correcting an error in his workings and reducing his delta to a rounding error. I hit send on that email with such a smug smile on my face.

The error was confusing markup and margin. It’s something I’ve seen multiple people do in the past, if you don’t work with these numbers it’s an easy mistake to make, and when I explain it to them I usually add “you’re not the first and won’t be the last, happens all the time” but those people usually come to me directly to ask the question. They do not email all those bosses to call out my work.

As far as I know I’ve never interacted with the guy before, there’s no animosity between us, no history at all. He even seemed to understand the rules are “don’t share resource rates” when I first told him no.

I logged off soon after but my boss and I were making bets on whether he’ll reply or not, then on how long he’ll wait to reply. He really seems like the type who needs the last word, so I expect to have something in my inbox tomorrow morning.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have probably mentioned before, but my company is shrinking space by not renewing its lease on some office space. There are three buildings in this office complex. It completely fills two of the buildings and leases 3 floors in a 3rd. It is giving up those 3 floors by the end of the year.

I just got out of a Teams presentation that had 500 attendees with the first official information on what things are going to look like. This was the first of three possible choices, and boy was it a clusterfuck. Nothing like people breaking in to say they can’t see the presentation, then to ask to go back some slides, or to helpfully point out that some of the slides had incorrect information.

They eventually got everyone on mute so that it was just a rolling chat like any other livestream, but at least the non-information could continue. I learned that I won’t be going to a Hotel desking setup, it’s Flex Seating. Apparently the main difference is that each department gets a neighborhood of desks available to be reserved by people up to 2 weeks out. And there was already a department manager asking what to do if someone continues to reserve the same spot continuously. Sadly no one told him “I guess you then have to do your job and talk to the employee”. Or he was just fishing for approval to poach the best spot forever.

Oh, apparently all management below directors are losing their offices. I guess we will see how often they are around in the future. Admittedly they were away at training and meetings a lot already.

Lots of people were already asking how they are going to work without whatever is “Their Precious” since there will be no personal storage. Weither it was ergonomic mice, printouts of whatever, or a library that they just started assembling. This move is going to be such a huge mess it is going to be glorious.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
My past company asked us to submit company reviews about complaints about how things were run improperly and promised they would be anonymous.

Guess what wasn't anonymous. Guess how childish managers reacted.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Orvin posted:

I learned that I won’t be going to a Hotel desking setup, it’s Flex Seating. Apparently the main difference is that each department gets a neighborhood of desks available to be reserved by people up to 2 weeks out. And there was already a department manager asking what to do if someone continues to reserve the same spot continuously. Sadly no one told him “I guess you then have to do your job and talk to the employee”. Or he was just fishing for approval to poach the best spot forever.

Excuse my being a dumbass about this because I've been lucky enough to avoid this whole part of office culture: What is wrong with just reserving the same spot continuously? Is there supposed to be some benefit to doing a little pilgrimage from one desk to another that same-spot-guy is missing out on?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
A few years ago I worked for a state government organisation that was moving to hotdesking and lockers and neighbourhoods and all that same bollocks (without the reservations). I left before it was implemented but 100% people were just going to plonk their coffee cup at the desk by the window and sail in at 9.15 every day, neighbourhoods be damned

God help someone who tried to move that coffee cup however

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Excuse my being a dumbass about this because I've been lucky enough to avoid this whole part of office culture: What is wrong with just reserving the same spot continuously? Is there supposed to be some benefit to doing a little pilgrimage from one desk to another that same-spot-guy is missing out on?

As Chewbacca posted, it’s probably trying to get ahead of the people that are effectively claiming a desk for themselves for all time, if they are there or not. I don’t know what the ratio of desks to people is, but if enough people try to claim a desk that way, there will be issues.

I am sure that people will figure out the best desks by the window, or most hidden from management, and they will be snapped up quickly, but I bet if you reserve a desk on a day you are not there, there will be hell to pay in the first couple of months while everything is getting sorted out and everyone is super pissed off.

The presentation alluded to the fact that the app they are using (Condeco) allows for desks to be assigned for specific people for longer term. So probably they can make sure they are ADA compliant or something along those lines. So at least there is an awareness that some people are really going to need to be assigned a permanent desk. If it gets used properly remains to be seen.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The "Get analysts involved in everything because we hired too many last year" experiment at my job is just so annoying.

a routine 30 minute task for me turned into 5 billable hours because our analyst was given the "give X access to Y" ticket and decided to forge ahead and set up a meeting about the ticket and I didn't get asked about it until I was handed the ticket with a pile of entirely useless notes.

I offered to cross train some of the ones I like working with because I know they don't have poo poo to do and they can do simple stuff like text changes, but I got a hard no on that from upper management, because that would mean they could argue that they're junior developers (and get a whole quarter raise?)

I feel like the guy in the meme digging a hole while 10 people sit and watch some days. It's not a great feeling.

Chewbecca posted:

A few years ago I worked for a state government organisation that was moving to hotdesking and lockers and neighbourhoods and all that same bollocks (without the reservations). I left before it was implemented but 100% people were just going to plonk their coffee cup at the desk by the window and sail in at 9.15 every day, neighbourhoods be damned

God help someone who tried to move that coffee cup however

Even though I'm rarely in the office more than once or twice a week, I'm glad I have a bunch of equipment at my desk that can't go home with me so I don't have to deal with this poo poo.

My cube is my cube. Its not a window one but I don't have to deal with moving around.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Orvin posted:

As Chewbacca posted, it’s probably trying to get ahead of the people that are effectively claiming a desk for themselves for all time, if they are there or not. I don’t know what the ratio of desks to people is, but if enough people try to claim a desk that way, there will be issues.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but this is the most self-inflicted bullshit problem for an office to have. There'd be no need for a policy to handle someone claiming a desk for themselves in perpetuity if they weren't hot desking to begin with. The last in-office job I had I had a cubicle with a desk in it, it was my cube and my desk and the topic of "who keeps sitting at this desk" never came up because the answer is me, I'm the one at this desk. Goddamn.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but this is the most self-inflicted bullshit problem for an office to have. There'd be no need for a policy to handle someone claiming a desk for themselves in perpetuity if they weren't hot desking to begin with. The last in-office job I had I had a cubicle with a desk in it, it was my cube and my desk and the topic of "who keeps sitting at this desk" never came up because the answer is me, I'm the one at this desk. Goddamn.

Yeah well some executive needs to be seen as a doer so hot desking it is

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
My cube was initially in a pretty nice part of the office, with a huge window overlooking a park. I'm mostly remote now, but still have a designated cube, so I said they should switch me with someone who's in the office every day. So they moved me to a nicer cube with an even better view of the park. I'm not complaining, but it's just sitting empty most days. There's plenty of people working 5 days a week with no window who would appreciate it more than I do, but hey, I'm not an office manager what do I know.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They tossed all the personal effects that were left on desks with absolutely zero notice during Covid when the building was empty so I will never get attached to my office space again tbh

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

left_unattended posted:

ETA dumb poo poo my work does: we're moving to a new building that isn't big enough for us so my boss is relying on attrition to bring our numbers down so that we fit. Even though demand for our products is constantly going up. But it's OK! We have offices elsewhere in the country and they're recruiting! To cover their own loving attrition.

It's getting closer to the Big Move. The new system will be hot-desking, and everyone will have a locker with a caddy. At the end of your day you pack up your mouse, keyboard and anything else then cram it in your locker. At the start of your day you grab your caddy from your locker, find a desk and set up. Since we're paid for 15m either side of our day that isn't technically work time, there's no extra time allotted for this process. So if you want to make sure you get a desk, you better arrive even earlier! And if your last call runs extra late tough poo poo.

It's fine though. Because there's going to be a system for people to share the same desk with opposing wfh days. And even though the very generous wfh allowance is UP TO two whole days a week this is totally going to work out great. And even though lots of us have specific chair and/or desk set ups, there's going to be some kind of arrangement for this. Presumably involving chair storage and/or more time spent configuring your desk before your shift.

The attrition right now is unbelievable, and the extra work being thrown at us is not slowing down. Which totally results in shorter calls.

If I can get through today I have two more weeks at this hell-hole before I'm free. God help me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive never worked at a company where it hasnt been hotdesking by the time I left. Having a permanent seat is, at this point in my career, exclusively reserved for the CEO and everyone else can get hosed.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I got forced out of my (open, communal) office so that they could put up excel printouts on the walls) a couple months ago, now they're converting my desk into a hotel desk.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ravus Ursus posted:

We have a beer fridge at work. I'll bolster you beer char with descriptions of what they stock it with. It's mostly white claw and bud light lime.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We got kicked out of our old spaces. Some of us were in a shared room in Research, someone had an office across the hall, and three of us had offices in another building. Research needs the space badly enough to kick out their in-house, minutes-away IT support, and the other building will be remodeled in Q3. So we got one big, shared room for the folks coming up from Research (they're happy, they get more space and better AC) and two locking rooms for storage/hotelling space. The three of us from the other building are officially assigned to neighborhoods, but gently caress that, I picked up a key for the room I use the last time I was on-campus. I'm just not going to put up my nameplate or adorn the shelves with models I've built.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Every year in the US, thousands of people pass on and leave behind mobility scooters. Unused, unwanted, and sad (so sad :(), these machines may soon find a valuable place in your organization!

We, at OfficeCorp, feel that there is a more efficient, more environmentally friendly scalable solution to the problems caused by mobility device e-waste. With the long-awaited paradigm shift back to WFO (work from office) through hybrid work schedules, new challenges arise in the areas of hotelling, hotdesking, and fluid office usage.

Enter: Mobo-Desk! Your three-wheeled entry into providing vertically aligned workspaces for the most valuable resource your company possesses, the perfect partner to your most treasured project partners!

Features include: plenty of power for electronic devices, an in-built desk/basket, safety lighting, fully adjustable seating, zero-turn capability, a 15mph top speed, and convenient options to accomodate catheter and colostomy bags.

Mobo-Desk can be used alone, or en masse with our patented Liminal Office Syncretic System! This offering enables easy ADA compliance, opens up new and exciting options in waste water reduction, prevents time theft, and allows for extremely flexible space leasing arrangements!

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

I have probably mentioned before, but my company is shrinking space by not renewing its lease on some office space. There are three buildings in this office complex. It completely fills two of the buildings and leases 3 floors in a 3rd. It is giving up those 3 floors by the end of the year.

I just got out of a Teams presentation that had 500 attendees with the first official information on what things are going to look like. This was the first of three possible choices, and boy was it a clusterfuck. Nothing like people breaking in to say they can’t see the presentation, then to ask to go back some slides, or to helpfully point out that some of the slides had incorrect information.

They eventually got everyone on mute so that it was just a rolling chat like any other livestream, but at least the non-information could continue. I learned that I won’t be going to a Hotel desking setup, it’s Flex Seating. Apparently the main difference is that each department gets a neighborhood of desks available to be reserved by people up to 2 weeks out. And there was already a department manager asking what to do if someone continues to reserve the same spot continuously. Sadly no one told him “I guess you then have to do your job and talk to the employee”. Or he was just fishing for approval to poach the best spot forever.

Oh, apparently all management below directors are losing their offices. I guess we will see how often they are around in the future. Admittedly they were away at training and meetings a lot already.

Lots of people were already asking how they are going to work without whatever is “Their Precious” since there will be no personal storage. Weither it was ergonomic mice, printouts of whatever, or a library that they just started assembling. This move is going to be such a huge mess it is going to be glorious.

if people don't need set spaces at the offices then why can't they just do their job from home?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

teemolover42069 posted:

if people don't need set spaces at the offices then why can't they just do their job from home?

Office leases are expensive I mean some managers assume you aren’t working if they don’t see you I mean you could potentially work two jobs at once for more income wait it’s “ to maintain our company culture we need in person collaboration”

At my previous job when they started return to office, I asked my manager every week leading up to it “ok but what’s the penalty for not going in? How are they tracking?” And of course there was no policy on that yet

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
"Because your primary place of work is the office."

That's it.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I have to write a gender equality and families inclusion plan at work. It's just occurred to me that I can probably try to get some clause in there that gives people better opportunities to work from home, because at the moment the policy is "at manager's discretion" and for most people whether you get to work at home depends on whether your boss is a control freak/micromanager/arsehole or not.

Thanks for the inspiration thread!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Chewbecca posted:

Question for everyone: What is the best job you ever had, and what made it the best? Was it a good job objectively or just tolerable in ways you could stand?

This is from like ten pages back but here goes anyway.

Current job, IT help desk for a huge global law firm.

Management is reasonable and easy to work with. It’s a 100% office-based role, no remote work but it’s a REALLY nice office and easy to get to via public transport. They expect you to get onto things right away but the actual workload is fairly light. There’s even a staff cafe with full time baristas.

Also they almost always promote internally where possible. It’s the kind of place where people can comfortably spend their entire careers.

The only real drawback is that there’s mandatory on-call and overtime to support our global operations but you get paid $$$ BIG CASH MONEY $$$ for it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

teemolover42069 posted:

The financial institutions that hold a bunch of commercial real estate also manage large 401k and investment platforms for corporate America. If everyone worked from home this would make number go down. There's a rumor going around that corporate America was told 'if Corp real estate tanks a lot of you are hosed.. sooo get your peasants back in the office'

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

madeintaipei posted:

Every year in the US, thousands of people pass on and leave behind mobility scooters. Unused, unwanted, and sad (so sad :(), these machines may soon find a valuable place in your organization!

We, at OfficeCorp, feel that there is a more efficient, more environmentally friendly scalable solution to the problems caused by mobility device e-waste. With the long-awaited paradigm shift back to WFO (work from office) through hybrid work schedules, new challenges arise in the areas of hotelling, hotdesking, and fluid office usage.

Enter: Mobo-Desk! Your three-wheeled entry into providing vertically aligned workspaces for the most valuable resource your company possesses, the perfect partner to your most treasured project partners!

Features include: plenty of power for electronic devices, an in-built desk/basket, safety lighting, fully adjustable seating, zero-turn capability, a 15mph top speed, and convenient options to accomodate catheter and colostomy bags.

Mobo-Desk can be used alone, or en masse with our patented Liminal Office Syncretic System! This offering enables easy ADA compliance, opens up new and exciting options in waste water reduction, prevents time theft, and allows for extremely flexible space leasing arrangements!

If you make this an app you can probably get a couple million from Softbank tomorrow.

I'm thankful that my company owns their office space and so pays no rent and has no real incentives to drag us back to the office. In fact, one of the people I took over for moved recently and went fully remote rather than being office based while everyone seems to be pushing people to come back in. That said, the company is posting almost nothing but in-office jobs lately. Last time I was on site, back in February, it was still incredibly empty and that was the main/nice office building on campus, we have a smaller and crappier one that is apparently not used at all, which isn't surprising because last time I was in there it was a complete clusterfuck with regards to connections and availability. You could walk up to a desk designated as "Hotel" and find no ethernet connection, incompatible output connections and no M/KB at all. This is the WORKPLACE OF THE FUTURE I was expecting from the company when they begrudgingly stopped the back-to-the-office push after nearly 75% of the company said they wanted to keep working remote. They were supposed to build little breakout rooms by removing cubes, which obviously didn't happen, along with their universalization of connections/protocols.

I'm set to go back on site the week after next for our biannual "show up for a few days" requirement that resulted from everyone disliking the idea of coming back into the office. I'm trying to arrange an event to map out the process I'm tasked with fixing and even the Compliance person, who was assigned to this because it's so badly out of their policies they needed someone to be involved in my project, just didn't respond to any of my requests for input or the meeting notices I put out. I told a couple people they had a way out of attending two days of process mapping if they just gave me a write up of how they handle their aspect of the process and I got nothing. Now an executive is mandating everyone I listed attend and they are pissed. Suddenly I'm getting a bunch of "here's what I do" emails and responses about how they really don't have a stake in the process hoping to get out of the event, but apparently my boss' boss' boss has decided he's had enough with people ignoring requests from Supply Chain while demanding we do things out of our scope that he's just going to flex some power on this one. Petty? Yes, but people are blaming me for their required attendance rather than the executive who was technically responsible.

In the two and a half hours it took me to type this out I got 22 requests for purchase orders and, impossibly, a process owner asking me if I could send an operation drawing to a vendor. I can pull drawings and ops sheets and do so often, but that's not something a buyer does. That isn't to say I wouldn't help out, I just can't find the things needed and let the Owner know. There's no way the Owner knows my background is not totally in purchasing, so I asked why he thought I would have access to what he needed. It turns out that the process owner thought he could get me to do the legwork on that for him because "You seem like you would know this sort of thing." This is coming from a guy who tried to get me in trouble with his manager last week, only to find out that 1) his manager and I are at the same level in the company and 2) he had hosed up and missed that I did the thing he asked for within an hour. I'm both extremely stupid and the most competent person in the company, it just depends on the particular hour you reach me.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Every week, I have to walk someone who makes five times my salary through the process of checking a box or using a drop-down menu in one of our internal websites. There are something like 6-7 clicks involved in the process that bedevils them.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

left_unattended posted:

"Because your primary place of work is the office."

That's it.

It really is amazing how management internalized 'we're paying too much for space for people to work' from COVID and made the absolute worst management decision on what will make people feel comfortable and thus productive.

We want you in the office, so that you can be an absolutely lovely worker because you have absolutely no personal space to think or exist in, in fact you can't even leave a drat mug or sweater at your desk. But at least we can watch you struggle under this system and tut you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We spent most of a decade desperately trying to shrink our total office space to save money, but now it is vitally important that you come in to fill all these seats we've proven we don't need because the building looks empty and it upsets the visiting VIPs.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I was going to say this is like school but even schools give you lockers. If there's no set desks, people need storage. The solution of 'just make people seem like babies for having to carry their poo poo to work every day' is such management bullshit, especially since those fuckers all have decorated offices with doors.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I was going to say this is like school but even schools give you lockers. If there's no set desks, people need storage. The solution of 'just make people seem like babies for having to carry their poo poo to work every day' is such management bullshit, especially since those fuckers all have decorated offices with doors.

They installed lockers at my previous place before Covid when they were thinking of doing the weird no assigned seating hotdesk setup.

They tried it in a few buildings and I think the engineers hated it but surprisingly a few other roles liked it.

It seemed insane to me because game dev includes a lot of hardware, my desk at one point had two desktops, two laptops, two game console development kits, an android tablet, and an iOS device. When we asked how hotel or hot swapping desks would actually work we never got an answer.

That also made ultra high density seating really frustrating. Not only was there very little physical space left for people, it also meant it got very warm when you had so many people with similar setups. A lot of desktops running high end GPUs in one space can make it noticeably warmer in that corner of the office.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
We have the "hotdesk but also we have a couple assigned to our team" setup but we're all required to come in on Wednesdays and there are 4 of us (plus manager, though managers hotdesk offices) so we're using other teams' desks anyway. We do at least have a drawer to store our KB&M and personal stuff in. Really don't know why they don't have peripherals on all the desks and then people who have their own ergo keyboards/mice can plug theirs in. The first and last 5 minutes of my day are setting up and breaking down the cubicle because I'm not coming in early or leaving late to do that.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
The drawers I was given at work are full of other people's poo poo so I left it on there

I am not storing poo poo there, I am ready to bounce at a moment's notice lol

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My workplace is wasting a huge amount of money to try to make hot desks seem appealing because they know if they just say 'you have to come in to work now' most of us will just leave for better jobs lmao

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Lazyfire posted:

I'm both extremely stupid and the most competent person in the company

Omg youre me

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
My megacorp spent ~50 Million US dollars to gut and refit half a floor of one building as “agile space” of rolly standy desks in bullpens with floor standing whiteboards to create team spaces, and small phonecall/crying booths around the place, in like 2017/2018.

Out of what used to be perfectly good double occ offices, with doors you could close and everything.

And then my team was invited to “try it out” in comparison to our aisle of basically single occ offices we had to ourselves.

We did, and noticed some cool stuff.

The spaces that were set up for a team of 8 would have 2 people in there, both with headphones on, and sometimes big brim hats, and one dude had binder clips on his hat to homd index cards to the side of the brim to make blinders. Like a horse wears.

There were also a lot more people spread around other buildings in corners and nooks camping out at a randomly placed lunch table and chair, also wearing headphones.

My team, while we were in there for the week, was the only entire team that sat in there that week as far as i could tell.

And we didnt magically get more work done for some reason. Not sure why. Was kinda surreal.

After the week in the fishbowl was over, my response to “ so do you all want to move into the agile space now??!!?!?? “ was basically “ if you move us in there we will all quit within 3 months, i suggest not moving us”

For some odd reason we still have our offices. I was sure we were gonna get moved, but apparently my manager is not a total dumbass.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When my work announced return to office they did it right when the street my office is on had construction for a few weeks and was down to one lane both ways with someone stopping one side to let the other side go. A few people quit for that alone

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Dumb things my work is doing: I marked myself as unavailable to work this Sunday, months ago. Despite this, I'm on the schedule for a 10:30 to 5:30 shift on Sunday. This is a problem, since I marked myself unavailable because I got tickets for Comicon, and Sunday - the last day - is 10 to 4.

I'm trying to get it fixed, but one coworker is off for a funeral and another is working the overnight shift that day. And I'm also scheduled for the 10:30 to 5:30 shift on Monday, so I can't really swap for the night shift on Sunday without having to get that next day reworked too.

When I first texted my manager about it, I got told to text my third coworker about it. He told me to ask the guy who's working overnight, because he's not sure he can do the shift that day. So I text my manager back, and get "requesting time off isn't a guarantee, if it's for something important ask or text me as well, I'll text the guy I told you to talk to".

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

tinytort posted:

Dumb things my work is doing: I marked myself as unavailable to work this Sunday, months ago. Despite this, I'm on the schedule for a 10:30 to 5:30 shift on Sunday. This is a problem, since I marked myself unavailable because I got tickets for Comicon, and Sunday - the last day - is 10 to 4.

I'm trying to get it fixed, but one coworker is off for a funeral and another is working the overnight shift that day. And I'm also scheduled for the 10:30 to 5:30 shift on Monday, so I can't really swap for the night shift on Sunday without having to get that next day reworked too.

When I first texted my manager about it, I got told to text my third coworker about it. He told me to ask the guy who's working overnight, because he's not sure he can do the shift that day. So I text my manager back, and get "requesting time off isn't a guarantee, if it's for something important ask or text me as well, I'll text the guy I told you to talk to".

i'm of the opinion that submitting notice that you're taking some time off is actually a statement that you're taking that time off, not a request

though this mindset could get u shitcanned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"This text is my two weeks' notice. Good luck."