Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
100%! 2021 was my first year playing the show and it got me interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Sy Borg posted:

What have I gotten myself into?

Set a budget. Don't go over it. Opening packs is fun, but if you get to the point where you're seeking specific players/cards, it usually makes more sense to just purchase the cards you want online rather than opening tons of packs.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
buying sealed packs is just like gambling. i compare it to getting a scratcher. 99/100 you are getting 0/$1, but sometimes!!!!!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

you can also get some bros together with some beers and draft a team. everyone gets some packs, opens one at a time and takes 1 card and sends it around the table then you argue over who built the best team (hi, mtg thread)

works best with a box of 90s junk wax you can get for like :10bux:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
2023 Topps Series 2 releases tomorrow

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Almost time to finish up the series one master set then

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
thanks for the title change whoever did that

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I have like zero interest in S2. No good Pirates and all the big rookies already had cards in Bowman (which I bought way too much of). I did do the S1 All Aces set, and I see there are new ones in S2... maybe I'll try trading for them.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Sigh, I don't know how I got down this rabbit hole. My son started little league last year, kinda got into it, this year he started pitching (8U) and I've been taking him to the cages. I bought a helmet and a bat this week for myself so I can go with him, and now caught myself looking at some cards on eBay. There are basically two rookie cards I want, an Ohtani and a Judge. I'm crazy and will probably pony up the bucks for PSA 10 graded.

I didn't realize there'd be so many rookie cards to choose from, but it looks like the standard one for Ohtani is a 2018 Topps #700 of him pitching:

And for Judge is a 2017 Topps #287 of him catching a ball:

The Ohtani I can get behind, but that Judge card looks weird to me (wish they got a batting shot), so I'm a bit on the fence about it.

Is there a better place than eBay to buy these kinds of things?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
yeah ebay is usually your best bet, just look around for good deals

if you really wanna gamble, you could get some 2017/2018 sealed product, but you will pay a large premium. one of my best memories growing up with cards was buying a box of 1987 donruss after mark mcgwire broke the homerrun record.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Set a budget. Don't go over it. Opening packs is fun, but if you get to the point where you're seeking specific players/cards, it usually makes more sense to just purchase the cards you want online rather than opening tons of packs.

Opening those initial ten or so packs yielded me some nice Phillies variants for Bohm, Harper, and Syndergaard. So I’m going to focus on those players to collect and do the same for series 2. Otherwise I can see this quickly becoming overwhelming.

Sy Borg fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 7, 2023

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Bank posted:

I haven’t used it yet, but I have heard great things about COMC.com

It has a lot of filters so you can pin down what you want to buy. Apparently if you buy multiple cards it is cheaper because sellers send them the cards to consign.

If you want a batting rookie you can get a 2017 Topps Finest for $25 (graded a 9 by CSG though).

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 7, 2023

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Bank posted:

Sigh, I don't know how I got down this rabbit hole. My son started little league last year, kinda got into it, this year he started pitching (8U) and I've been taking him to the cages. I bought a helmet and a bat this week for myself so I can go with him, and now caught myself looking at some cards on eBay. There are basically two rookie cards I want, an Ohtani and a Judge. I'm crazy and will probably pony up the bucks for PSA 10 graded.

I didn't realize there'd be so many rookie cards to choose from, but it looks like the standard one for Ohtani is a 2018 Topps #700 of him pitching:

And for Judge is a 2017 Topps #287 of him catching a ball:

The Ohtani I can get behind, but that Judge card looks weird to me (wish they got a batting shot), so I'm a bit on the fence about it.

The modern card market has been cooling for a year now, those PSA 10s are bountiful and will be cheaper in the future. I'd recommend going after a raw or PSA 8 in an ebay auction now and just upgrading to a 10 when the price is a bit more manageable. If Ohtani cards ever go down that is lol.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

yeah ebay is usually your best bet, just look around for good deals

if you really wanna gamble, you could get some 2017/2018 sealed product, but you will pay a large premium. one of my best memories growing up with cards was buying a box of 1987 donruss after mark mcgwire broke the homerrun record.
Checked out the prices for new boxes..with my luck I'll end up with a worthless box of cardboard I paid $400+ for.

savesthedayrocks posted:

I haven’t used it yet, but I have heard great things about COMC.com
Just tried, but it looks like they don't have this Ohtani RC I'm looking for. All the other ones they have are a pretty penny. Thanks for the tip though!

Gorman Thomas posted:

The modern card market has been cooling for a year now, those PSA 10s are bountiful and will be cheaper in the future. I'd recommend going after a raw or PSA 8 in an ebay auction now and just upgrading to a 10 when the price is a bit more manageable. If Ohtani cards ever go down that is lol.
You had me feeling better about waiting, but then ended up with FOMO.. I don't plan on flipping anything (way too much hassle for me), so I'll probably just wait for a decent price on a PSA 10 on eBay.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I’ve seen it called the “junk slab era”

Out of 9291 base Topps Ohtani rookies submitted to PSA for grading, 5610 came back PSA 10

Not saying a PSA 10 wouldn’t be cool, but a high grade early Mantle, Koufax, Aaron, Mays, etc, it never will be

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I think people are just on top of their stuff now. With the internet everybody's buying boxes to "invest" and being really careful in handling, which is why there are so many out there.

Way back in the day people didn't have access to all this stuff and many people had no idea their cards were even worth anything.

Certainly PSA's grading may be more lenient, but I've seen plenty of people complain online about their stuff being graded 8 or 9 when they thought it was gonna be a 10.

Lucky for me, I'm not buying to speculate or make money, I just want a perfect-to-me card to put up for decoration and look at every so often.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I will be buying a PSA 10 Ohtani rookie as soon as I'm employed again and will not feel a single doubt that it was a bad price. He's the greatest player ever and they aren't making more rookie cards. Prices change, markets change, all you can do is decide if you think a price is fair and drat the torpedoes.

That said don't buy singles from a set that dropped yesterday cause those WILL be half price in 2 weeks lol.

edit: Also just wanna add that there's a kind of toxic undercurrent in the hobby where a lot of people want to think they're the wise investors while everyone else are the foolish suckers, and will pooh-pooh your purchases no matter what. I'm not saying anyone in this thread is doing that, I'm just arguing with people on Reddit right now about Elly De La Cruz prices (AGAIN, never go on Reddit but honestly it's the best place to trade right now) and it's like drat just let people have their fun.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 7, 2023

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Bank posted:

You had me feeling better about waiting, but then ended up with FOMO.. I don't plan on flipping anything (way too much hassle for me), so I'll probably just wait for a decent price on a PSA 10 on eBay.

The fomo with this hobby is unreal and easily the worst part of it. It was so hard to stay disciplined when heritage red inks hit ebay last week. As a general rule I try to stick to .99 cent auctions and ignore buy it now, that usually helps with the rash decision making.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Edit: post removed as my info is covered in the OP

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 7, 2023

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

i can still taste him posted:

If you hear people talk about "comps", it's comparison card pricing.

You can see what a card has been selling for on eBay using https://130point.com/sales/. This way, if you find the card you want on eBay you can see if the BIN or auction price is reasonable compared to other recent sales.

If I see a card I want listed higher than comps, I shoot a 80-90% comp Offer (assuming that's reasonable for me) to the seller with the comps as justification in the comments. Usually ends up getting me the card.

Good luck and have fun!

Edit: just realized that this is all in the OP. Still good info so I'ma leave it here.

:smug:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I like COMC a lot. I'm mainly interested in cards in the $1-5 range, which can quickly get out of hand if you're paying shipping on each card. With COMC you can buy cheap cards until you've got a nice collection and have them shipped in one batch.

I've also done some very penny-ante flipping on the site, where you find a card that is clearly undervalued, buy it, and immediately relist it at a higher price. It's a very low risk way to play the market when players get hot, which would be prohibitively expensive if you were having to pay (and wait for) shipping both ways.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 7, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

I'm kind of annoyed because I opened this card yesterday and wanted to pick yesterday but Topps wouldn't let me so I picked today. He hit a home run last night of course.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

wandler20 posted:

I'm kind of annoyed because I opened this card yesterday and wanted to pick yesterday but Topps wouldn't let me so I picked today. He hit a home run last night of course.

yea i dunno why they dont let you pick same day, pretty annoying

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bank posted:

I think people are just on top of their stuff now. With the internet everybody's buying boxes to "invest" and being really careful in handling, which is why there are so many out there.

Way back in the day people didn't have access to all this stuff and many people had no idea their cards were even worth anything.

Way, way back in the day, of course. Beckett began publishing their magazines in the early 1980s. Their values had taken over card shows and shops completely by the early 1990s. There were a few years in there that everybody had a side hustle of sports cards. In my hometown, there was a little card shop in an insurance agency. A jewelry store in another town had cards too, and I retroactively regret not buying packs of Topps Desert Shield cards there in 1991. Granted, I was a pre-teen lacking in much funds and I recall the packs being $3 each.

Early 1990s collectors were just as nutty about thinking they had actual investments on their hands, though the graded stuff these days seems even loonier. I haven't actively collected in some time. I remember stopping in 1995 :corsair: because the number of sets and companies got way too much. I know it's scaled back since, but I don't see myself ever buying more a few individual cards.

Nearly everything I had was junk wax, which I essentially gave to a surviving card shop a few years ago. I forgot about my binders (whoops) and still have them., probably another 5,000 cards or so there.

Sunk Dunk posted:

The way Donruss cards used to be done, you would have either found 15 McGwire cards in a box or none at all. That went for everybody. That was one of the first non-current packs I bought as a pre-teen. Found Bo Jackson and Will Clark rookies in there and I thought I was so rich. Yeah.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 7, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

To me it was funny going to card shows in the late 90s/early 2000s when eBay was already a thing and have people pricing stuff out of a Beckett as if that was ever based on anything

At least with eBay you could look up previously sold prices which showed a pattern of value

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

To me it was funny going to card shows in the late 90s/early 2000s when eBay was already a thing and have people pricing stuff out of a Beckett as if that was ever based on anything

At least with eBay you could look up previously sold prices which showed a pattern of value

I never really thought about that. I did pull out some of my old becketts from storage the other day:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Do people grade Becketts?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Lester Shy posted:

I like COMC a lot. I'm mainly interested in cards in the $1-5 range, which can quickly get out of hand if you're paying shipping on each card. With COMC you can buy cheap cards until you've got a nice collection and have them shipped in one batch.

I've also done some very penny-ante flipping on the site, where you find a card that is clearly undervalued, buy it, and immediately relist it at a higher price. It's a very low risk way to play the market when players get hot, which would be prohibitively expensive if you were having to pay (and wait for) shipping both ways.

Hmm yeah I had another look at COMC for cards for my son, and they seem to have the best variety and cataloging functionality. Combining shipping seems efficient too. I bought a couple $1 cards from eBay (a Lebron and a Klay Thompson) but it took me a while to find them for so cheap (shipped).

I'll probably just put all the other players we like on a list and pick them up. I haven't found anything better than eBay for slabs yet, but I hope to just buy this one card and be done. I've learned my lesson from trying to collect Marvel cards as a kid.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

:dogbutton:

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Comc is great I've bought from them before.

The reason why you see so many base cards graded these days is the guarantee of high grades for volume submitters. I can't find the post right now, but I read an article where someone was talking about the offer he got from PSA. I think it was like a 100+ cards a month they were guaranteed so many 9.5s and 10.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I just won an auction for that Ohtani card so I'm golden now. Hopefully that scratches the itch and I won't be perusing eBay again for more.

Makes sense why there are so many of these PSA 10s rolling around. From the looks of it they only have their brand name and they're driving it to the ground.

It doesn't matter to me anyway since I'm not "investing" in it, but do like the decorative aspect of having a "PSA 10" slab on the desk.

My real investment money is all going into retirement so hopefully that works out at least.

Should be fun to check out COMC for some cheap foils the next few days. Planning to surprise the kiddo with a couple sheets of popular players he's been following.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I hear COMC shipping can take like... a WHILE. So be prepared for that

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Bank posted:

I just won an auction for that Ohtani card so I'm golden now. Hopefully that scratches the itch and I won't be perusing eBay again for more..

Congrats! Which one did you get? I'm planning on picking up a few raw Ohtanis for a friend's birthday in November. It's nuts how many of his cards from 2018 have the RC badge.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

Congrats! Which one did you get? I'm planning on picking up a few raw Ohtanis for a friend's birthday in November. It's nuts how many of his cards from 2018 have the RC badge.

This one:

https://www.sportscardinvestor.com/cards/shohei-ohtani-baseball/2018-topps-base/

Only because most people considered it his quintessential RC, which I'm sure they're right because there are thousands of these in graded PSA 10 shape (like almost 6k last I checked..).

If I were in the market again and didn't care about what was standard, I'd probably get this one instead:

https://www.sportscardinvestor.com/cards/shohei-ohtani-baseball/2018-topps-update-base/

Thought about picking this up raw, but man, it's not that cheap ($18-20 on COMC). At that price my stupid brain would rather buy a slab. I might wait for prices to go down (they will, right????). I watched a highlight reel of him last night and it's pretty incredible how he's been playing.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Bank posted:

I might wait for prices to go down (they will, right????). I watched a highlight reel of him last night and it's pretty incredible how he's been playing.

I don’t know the release schedules, but it’d be smart to look for auctions during the off-season and/or right after basketball and football products with new rookies start dropping in the fall.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
“Pulled” a couple fun cards sorting today:

That Witt kid everybody is talking about

I hope this guy fucks better than he plays baseball.

Nice rookie card!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are there specific boxes that have a chance to pull the big money cards these days or if you buy a random box/pack is there still a chance to get something great?

I’m getting back into collecting after not really caring about it since I was a kid, but I don’t want to be buying packs that are pretty much guaranteed to be worthless if I should be getting something else.

I’m interested in NBA and MLB mostly.

Obviously I’m not expecting to make money buying packs but it’s fun and I don’t want to be wasting money on junk packs if there’s specific ones I should be looking at.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
The big money cards for NBA come from the high end Panini products.
National Treasuress , immaculate, Flawless and Emmenice.

Emmenice is ~17K a box
https://www.steelcitycollectibles.com/i/2021-22-panini-eminence-basketball-hobby-box

Immaculate is ~ 1800
https://www.steelcitycollectibles.com/i/2021-22-panini-immaculate-basketball-hobby-box

Flawless is between 10K+ depending on the year

https://www.steelcitycollectibles.com/i/2021-22-panini-flawless-basketball-hobby-box

National Treasures ~ 4K a box

https://www.steelcitycollectibles.com/i/2020-21-panini-national-treasures-basketball-hobby-box

Here's an article showing the highest sales

https://hoopshype.com/lists/most-expensive-nba-trading-card-sales-ever/

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Most of the boxes will have garbage and once in a while you might hit a jackpot. If you buy a $2 scratcher vs a $25 scratcher the prizes are gonna be way different. Same thing with those boxes.

The only reason I thought about buying a box was the thought of dopamine if I catch a winner. I've been trying to just watch people on YouTube open boxes and boxes of cards instead, and it's probably saved me a bunch of money already. Most of those guys only show their wins for views, but if you find someone that gets a bunch of loser boxes you feel better about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Opening packs is fun, but I would not be buying boxes if you're at all concerned with value. You will lose money 99.9% of the time. Even if you get a hit, it'll probably be a $3 relic or auto from somebody you've never heard of.

Think of it like going to the casino; the money is already gone and you're paying for the experience. Any money you "make" is a bonus.