Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

MoaM posted:

Lions are going to embarrass themselves for five games straight right?

Only if it would require them to win any one of those games to capture the division title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/presnapinc/status/1665847065828810753?s=20

They've done it!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MoaM posted:

Lions are going to embarrass themselves for five games straight right?

I don't remember when their bye is but they will be sub-.500 going into it.

Said it in the main N/V thread but Vegas is going to really dial back their odds after they lose to KC in week 1, and anyone patient enough to place money on them after that will make a tidy profit from it. No I don't know how sports betting works but you get what I mean.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

C-Euro posted:

I don't remember when their bye is but they will be sub-.500 going into it.

@Chiefs, Seahawks, Falcons, @Packers, Panthers, @Bucs, @Ravens, Raiders

Yeah 3-5 to 5-3 sounds about right for what we saw as a whole from the 2022 Lions. Their schedule is a lot more friendly after the bye. @Chargers, Bears, Packers, @Saints, @Bears, Broncos, @Vikings, Cowboys, Vikings.

The real question is whether Campbell can keep on pushing the young players on the roster to improve and grow, which is what takes them from a .500 team to a playoff contender.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

@Chiefs, Seahawks, Falcons, @Packers, Panthers, @Bucs, @Ravens, Raiders

Yeah 3-5 to 5-3 sounds about right for what we saw as a whole from the 2022 Lions. Their schedule is a lot more friendly after the bye. @Chargers, Bears, Packers, @Saints, @Bears, Broncos, @Vikings, Cowboys, Vikings.

The real question is whether Campbell can keep on pushing the young players on the roster to improve and grow, which is what takes them from a .500 team to a playoff contender.

They're gonna have a 7 game winning streak then lose to the Vikings and miss the playoffs

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m waiting until they just decide that the Lions and Vikings play each other in a double header for two games in one 24 hour period, one in the US and the other in the UK, to determine which makes and then subsequently loses in the playoffs.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
LIons are going to win the division and capture the hearts of the nation.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

trevorreznik posted:

They're gonna have a 7 game winning streak then lose to the Vikings and miss the playoffs

Oh man, this is it. It'll be for the division and be one of those setups where the Lions are out only if they lose to the Vikings and X also happens, and X will def happen.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Danny LaFever posted:

LIons are going to win the division and capture the hearts kneecaps of the nation.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Detroit Lions will play at least 17 football games. It is even possible that they will play 1-4 additional football games after that. They will also play 4 football games before that. I actually can't verify that last part. Is it still 4?

Anyway many people agree the optimal amount of football games to play, not counting those four or less that happen before the 17 is either 20 or 21. You might think you want 20 but there's actually two versions of 20 and one of them is the one you don't want.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 6, 2023

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

There's only three preseason games and roster trimming doesn't need to happen until after the third.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

trevorreznik posted:

Well you can’t fault them for losing to the 2024 Superbowl champion Minnesota Vikings

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Will the North be the worst division in football next year? They won't have any team that will be totally horrendous, but the only halfway decent team seems to be the Lions and at the end of the day, they're the Lions.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Niwrad posted:

Will the North be the worst division in football next year? They won't have any team that will be totally horrendous, but the only halfway decent team seems to be the Lions and at the end of the day, they're the Lions.

Nah, not even close. The North has 3 known legitimate starters at QB. That puts them ahead of the two Souths and the NFC East at minimum.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Both south divisions look not great.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
NFC east is extremely better than the North.

The Commanders were 8-8-1 and were in last place in the division lol.

the AFC South is probably a push with the North.

The NFC South is complete hot dog water.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alim McNeill?

More like….A Lean McNeill.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My honest take on the Lions right now is that I expect them to do well, but there are still some major concerns going into the season.

On offense, things are mostly intact from last year. The biggest change is to the RBs, where DeAndre Swift and Jamaal Williams have been replaced by Jahmyr Gibbs and David Montgomery. The potential impact of this move is huge — though the Lions were more successful on the ground last year than they had been in years, Swift was constantly injured and both he and Williams were unable to take full advantage of the massive holes that were being opened up by the offensive line and downfield recievers. With faster players (Especially Gibbs), the Lions are looking towards making many more huge chunk plays on the ground.

In the passing game, I have some questions and concerns. Though DJ Chark didn't have a huge year, his presence still opened up the field and allowed the offense to move the ball effectively, and his absence was sorely felt in the first half of the season. Now that he's gone, his downfield threat role was supposed to be taken over by Jameson Williams — but Jamo went and got himself suspended for six games, The Lions still have a very talented WR room with "Absolute Dude" Amon Ra St. Brown, returning vet Marvin Jones, and the reliable talents of Kalif Raymond and Josh Reynolds, but lacking a true downfield threat for the first third of the season may cause some significant issues for the offense. Not that Goff was going to throw deep that much anyway, and speaking of...

Man, Goff. It's been two seasons and I'm still not sold on him, but he's what we have. And, to be fair, he's not terrible, or even bad — he's improved a lot since that first horrendous half of 2021, and cleaned up his game significantly. At this point, he's... competent, lacks the arm to really chuck the ball downfield, but has eliminated most of his screwups and does a good job of moving the ball around. It helps that he's got an absurdly talented offensive cast around him, but he's certainly been making the most of it. I still don't love him, but I also don't hate him like I did a year and a half back.

Offensive Line is gonna be one of the best in the league, no question. Hopefully they can actually play a snap with their starting 5 this year, which is something they haven't managed since something like halfway through 2020.

On the defensive side, the worst unit on the team last year was the secondary and it's now been completely overhauled. Along with the addition of C.J. Gardner-Johnson, Tracey Walker will be coming back from his achillies tear, and Kerby Joseph will have a chance to build on his strong rookie season. The team's still a bit weak at corner, though, and it's an open question just how much one of the worst units in football last year can really improve in a single offseason. But even if they can go from "absolutely horrendous" to just "bad", that's a huge benefit for the Lions, especially since it'll allow the defensive line to shine that much more.

And that D-Line! This is where the Lions have put most of their resources on defense, and it shows. Aiden Hutchinson, Josh Pascal, Charles Harris, Alim McNeil, Romeo Okwara, Justin Houston, John Cominsky, Isiah Buggs... there's a lot of talent on this line, especially on the edges. (A bit thin at tackle, though if Levi Onwuzurike can actually play this season... though I'm doubtful on that). Assuming the secondary can keep players covered tightly enough that opposing receivers aren't instantly getting open, this line has the potential to make QBs real uncomfortable.

This is all to say: This is a talented team. I really like the squad that Brad Holmes has put together, and I like how Campbell and the other coaches have managed to develop key players like Amon-Ra and Kerby Joseph. But there's still some key questions and holes here, and there's not a lot of depth at some key positions. If everything holds together, I think this team has the potential to be one of the best in the league next year, and I am completely serious — but throw in some key injuries at bad moments, or certain players not taking an anticipated next step, or any veteran regression, and this team could easily struggle in the first half of the season. But fortunately, the schedule does seem pretty soft imo, so barring some unexpected developments I think the Lions should easily be able to pick up a Wild Card berth, and possibly more.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The phrase I always think of when looking at the Lions roster is "solid, not spectacular". Which I suppose is the outcome you're gonna get when you focus on building in the trenches and getting young players.

Best case scenario is the Lions turning into something like the Eagles, just maintaining a deep roster of good players and refreshing as old players leave. Of course the Eagles have Hurts and the Lions, uh, don't

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Marvin Jones is such a good vet to have. You also have to consider Gibbs, Laporta and Montgomery in the passing game. They're going to get the ball. Gibbs could have 60+ catches in the offense. He's a day one ready starter. TE is a tough position so I don't anticipate a big stats year for Laporta but he will get the ball.

Defense on the secondary is completely rebuilt. Cam Sutton looks like he's taken charge. CJGJ is going to be really good and I agree with Baumgartner on the Athletic. Kerby Joseph has everything (including mentors) to take a big leap this year. The guy can become an all-pro safety. Brian Branch is going to be in a real good spot to get acclimated to the league if the secondary is healthy.

Jack Campbell will be really important to the run game. The defensive line looks like it has the tools to be good in the run game, they need a linebacker to clean that stuff up and I hope he does that right out of the gate. It helps Anzalone a bit too as he's better in pass pro and he can focus on more of that.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I won’t begrudge the Lions doing well but it’s too early to tell how many players they’ll start the season with if the betting keeps up.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm gonna text most of the team at the facility and bet them $1000 they won't play the first game. Easy money.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

ghosthorse posted:

I won’t begrudge the Lions doing well but it’s too early to tell how many players they’ll start the season with if the betting keeps up.

You wanna put a wager on that

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

A lot of the question marks about the Lions right now seem to be the assumption that Goff absolutely will not match last year and the rest of the offense will regress in some way.

Maybe that shakes out, who knows, but even if it does I think the Lions have wiggle room on offense. If the offense regresses a little bit but the defense improves a little bit, I think this is a play-off team. The offense not needing to put up 35+ points to win a game would be nice for all concerned.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Um

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1666806828804739073?s=20

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My last memory of Cook is that the Vikings were trying to do some play with him at the goal line where he just stopped and then like three Lions hit him at once and he fumbled.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

was inevitable at this point, if there was a post june 1st trade market for him he would have been traded already

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Mattison szn

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bumhead posted:

A lot of the question marks about the Lions right now seem to be the assumption that Goff absolutely will not match last year and the rest of the offense will regress in some way.

Maybe that shakes out, who knows, but even if it does I think the Lions have wiggle room on offense. If the offense regresses a little bit but the defense improves a little bit, I think this is a play-off team. The offense not needing to put up 35+ points to win a game would be nice for all concerned.

The flip side to this as well is that if Goff improves then holy poo poo this offense is going to be unstoppable

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the lions will win the Super Bowl

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/NFLNotify/status/1666871419680989185

Conversion to Runningback going well.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Just like the Bears to trade up to pick 10 and draft a Running Back. :laffo:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
You're all just jealous of a ten tool prospect

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Somehow nobody notices in training camp and on week 1 fields is just RB1 with Peterman behind center.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Danny LaFever posted:

Somehow nobody notices in training camp and on week 1 fields is just RB1 with Peterman behind center.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Never pay your running backs. I honestly feel bad for running backs in the league now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/startkyIeorton/status/1666895688733450260

Some of the names are bringing back just the worst memories lol.

I had almost managed to erase Chris Conte from my memory completely.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/startkyIeorton/status/1666895688733450260

Some of the names are bringing back just the worst memories lol.

I am not familiar with this. Are we voting for the best or the worst?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sataere posted:

I am not familiar with this. Are we voting for the best or the worst?

the worst.

it's called the McNown-Enis Tourny. Worst bears of the past 20 years.

Something SKO did last when he was running his blog a decade or so ago, only he cut it off at 20 years this time. and named it after Cade McNown.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Dexo posted:

Same, but Archuleta.