Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That is beautiful :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

field balm posted:

yeah its pretty bad. is it just a cheap lens, or because its super zoomed in (about 200mm on a crop sensor)? obviously very overcast, is it because the background was so bright vs the subject? i was stepped down to 8 or 11 or something.

Chromatic aberration is always due to your lens. Basically it happens because the lens focuses different wavelengths of light at very slightly different distances from the imaging plane. It'll be worse on cheaper zooms, and especially at the far ends of the zoom range as it gets harder to correct across the entire frame along the whole zoom range. Correcting it requires a lot more complexity and therefore cost so usually lens designers settle for getting it good enough for most of the range on cheap lenses and expect that you'll live with it at the far end of the zoom. It's much simpler to correct for on prime lenses too which is why you usually only see it on kit lenses and cheap superzooms.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

field balm posted:

yeah its pretty bad. is it just a cheap lens, or because its super zoomed in (about 200mm on a crop sensor)? obviously very overcast, is it because the background was so bright vs the subject? i was stepped down to 8 or 11 or something.

In case you weren't aware, you can click a box to correct for CA in Lightroom. It isn't perfect but it works well enough.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
In LR Classic it'll be the purple slider under lens corrections (I think), but it will clean that up pretty well.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 5, 2023

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

This one made me gasp. I love it.

Here are 3 from Gulf Shores, AL. I'm new to fuji and have been using the film sims. It been kind of a relief and also a challenge. It is a relief that when I get back to the computer most of the shots are ready to go. I might need to crop or straighten some horizons, but for the most part they are done. Being able to see the film sim(jpg settings) applied in the EVF\OVF live has been really sweet. Its also sort of a challenge because it feels like how I imagine choosing your physical film type is. So far, I have basically committed each photo session to 1 or 2 film sim types. I try to work up film sim settings I think will be appropriate before hand if possible. A few times I have fully committed to the .jpeg and turned the RAW off. Mostly I am chicken though and leave RAW+JPG on just to be safe.

DSCF6694-2 by a a, on Flickr
DSCF5936 by a a, on Flickr
DSCF5920 by a a, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

This is 100% my poo poo.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Helen Highwater posted:

Chromatic aberration is always due to your lens. Basically it happens because the lens focuses different wavelengths of light at very slightly different distances from the imaging plane. It'll be worse on cheaper zooms, and especially at the far ends of the zoom range as it gets harder to correct across the entire frame along the whole zoom range. Correcting it requires a lot more complexity and therefore cost so usually lens designers settle for getting it good enough for most of the range on cheap lenses and expect that you'll live with it at the far end of the zoom. It's much simpler to correct for on prime lenses too which is why you usually only see it on kit lenses and cheap superzooms.

Thank you for the explanation! I'd only experienced small amounts of it with my kit lens, I wasn't really expecting so much on the zoom but it makes sense. I paid like one dollar plus shipping for a tamron 28-200 so I can't complain for the price.

VelociBacon posted:

In case you weren't aware, you can click a box to correct for CA in Lightroom. It isn't perfect but it works well enough.

Bottom Liner posted:

In LR Classic it'll be the purple slider under lens corrections (I think), but it will clean that up pretty well.

Unfortunately I'm still using darktable, fancier software is the next thing on my list after a monitor upgrade. The CA tools in darktable are able to reduce it a little but not really fix it. There was another obvious way to reduce it in post:

I like how the original image almost looked black and white except for the yellow plugs on the cables (ignoring the chromatic abberation) but it doesn't lose too much in b&w.

I love these - the ocean is truly the sickest landscape.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That's a really neat shrine.
They have a big gym/dojo in the back, where I've practiced a few times.

It kinda just pops out in the middle of the city.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

murk posted:

DSCF6694-2 by a a, on Flickr
Daaaamn. That is amazing.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

megabound you killin it lately

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks kindly, this is all the black and white I shot while in Japan so it won't slow down for a while. After this I got all my slide coming back too so... Yeah. About 300 photos to go through. Not bad for 10 days.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
reel (1 of 1) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Love this one - I always attempt to stay in tall buildings near trainlines in Tokyo for these views lol.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

field balm posted:

Love this one - I always attempt to stay in tall buildings near trainlines in Tokyo for these views lol.

This one was taken from a Ferris wheel in Osaka, with a bit of patience for the right train to come through

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Went on a trip trying (but failing, due to weather) to summit Denali. Took a digital monochrome body and Zenfolio's compression is a bit of a challenge.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The pictures of Japan are awesome

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

That's some good poo poo right there.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The pictures of Japan are awesome

Thanks!

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

theHUNGERian posted:

Went on a trip trying (but failing, due to weather) to summit Denali. Took a digital monochrome body and Zenfolio's compression is a bit of a challenge.

awesome stuff

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Took a trip to Dry Tortugas National Park, pics taken with a Leica Q

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This one is especially nice!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks, your pics of Denali are amazing, looks like it was an awesome trip. I wanna get my hands on a monochrome as well, waiting for the Q to get a bit cheaper lol.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lots of inspiring shots in this thread! Wish I had some mountains here. I'm out there with a 35mm - I've heard it isn't as desirable for landscapes but I bought my camera to take photos of my kid running around and have been learning as I shoot. Here are some shots from a few months ago when we went to Michigan for Christmas. I had never seen snow before and it was magical for me. Watching Lake Michigan transform overnight was pretty cool, and I even had the fun experience of falling through some shore ice into Lake Michigan while trying to get a shot!

I've moved near more parks in Florida and hope to get out there and start taking some landscapes regularly. If anyone has suggestions for Central Florida / Orlando-ish area please feel free to share!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 12, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the way of things, people with mountains wish they had coastline and people with coasts wish they had mountains.

People in the midwest just wish they had something.

(the great lakes in the winter are amazing and I wish I'd visited them more when I lived that way)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

It's the way of things, people with mountains wish they had coastline and people with coasts wish they had mountains.

People in the midwest just wish they had something.

(the great lakes in the winter are amazing and I wish I'd visited them more when I lived that way)

Here in Vancouver we have both things but wish we had affordable housing instead. Count your photogenic blessings I guess.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

The colors are interesting on this one - didn't see them at first

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

VelociBacon posted:

Here in Vancouver we have both things but wish we had affordable housing instead. Count your photogenic blessings I guess.

same but new zealand

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Went on a stroll with a new (to me) Z7II / 24-70 f/4 S :sun:
(biggest takeaway for now - I am still not a good photographer, but now I can print my bad photos even bigger!)

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

I very much dig this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks! That cold was a hell of an experience for me coming from South Florida. I had super thick gloves so I kept having to take them off to manipulate the camera settings and I was wet from falling through the ice. I actually took a picture as I fell in, hah.