Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Griefor posted:

rear end in a top hat billionaires (oxymoron)

Tautology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Pleonasm.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

quote:

Dam flood water uprooting and dispersing mines, Red Cross warns
Mines uprooted and dispersed by flood waters surging downstream from the breached Kakhovka dam across swathes of southern Ukraine could pose a grave danger to civilians for decades to come, the Red Cross said.

“In the past we knew where the hazards were. Now we don’t know. All we know is that they are somewhere downstream,” said Erik Tollefsen, head of the Weapon Contamination Unit at the International Committee of the Red Cross.

“It is with a certain horror that we look at the news coming out,” Reuters reports Tollefsen said in an audio clip, adding that the second world war mines found underwater in Denmark in 2015 were still active.

Besides anti-personnel mines, both sides have used vast amounts of artillery shells and anti-tank mines. The exact number of mines in Ukraine is unclear, said Tollefsen. “We just know the numbers are massive,” said Tollefsen.

Tollefsen said the issue with mines was not necessarily the nominal number of mines but where they were laid – especially in a heavily agricultural country such as Ukraine.

i knew this was a a concern, but i had naively hoped that being submerged for several days would render uxo inert. apparently not

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

quote:

The cooling pond at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant in Ukraine is in danger of collapse as a result of the destruction of the Kakhovka dam and the draining of its reservoir, according to a French nuclear safety organisation.

Without the reservoir on the other side to counteract it, the internal pressure of the water in the cooling pool could breach the dike around it, a report by the Paris-based Institute for Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety (IRSN) said.

Officials at the Ukrainian nuclear energy corporation, Energoatom, said that any collapse in the dike around the cooling pond would be partial even in a worst case scenario and there would still be sufficient water to keep reactor cores and spent fuel cool, but a loss of the cooling pool would dramatically increase safety concerns over the plant.

Since the collapse of the Kakhovka dam on Tuesday, for which Ukraine, the UN, EU and other world leaders are holding Russia responsible, its reservoir has been draining into the Dnipro river and the Black Sea beyond, and will soon drop below the water intakes used to pump water into an array of spray ponds used to cool the reactor cores.

The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Rafael Mariano Grossi said:

It is vital that this cooling pond remains intact. Nothing must be done to potentially undermine its integrity.

Karine Herviou, the IRSN’s deputy director general for nuclear safety, said that because all six reactors at the Zaporizhzhia plant had been shut down some months ago as a result of fighting in the area, the plant’s cooling needs are limited and could be met by other means.

“If the dyke is destroyed as a result of the water pressure, there are other means to replenish the spray ponds, like pump trucks bringing water from the Dnipro or other water basin located nearby,” Herviou told the Guardian.

The president of Energoatom, Petro Kotin, said today that the current water supply at Zaporizhzhia is enough “to keep the nuclear power plant in a safe mode of operation” but he warned of the threat of Russian sabotage.

“The Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant is heavily mined - both the interior and the access roads to it,” he said. “We currently have no information about whether the Russians have mined the plant’s equipment. This will become known after the plant is liberated.”

continuing pressure on safe operation of the nuclear plant. the more introduced points of friction, the greater the chance of something going sideways

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i knew this was a a concern, but i had naively hoped that being submerged for several days would render uxo inert. apparently not

Not inert, no. Explosives that have lied in the bottom of a lake for decades can still be very dangerous. And traditionally mines are designed to survive long times in changing environments anyway. (Nowadays there are mines that stay primed for only a limited time, then kill themselves.)

The triggering parts are going to be unpredictable though, and it's going to be a huge problem. Some might get jammed with water and clay, but not necessarily and in no way predictably. And normally there's an upright position for a mine that you place it in, and it's the position in which the mine will most likely trigger when stepped on. It might sound like good news that the mine doesn't trigger as well, but imagine that you are trying to clear mines by prodding them. You poke a spot, nothing happens. Is it clear?

Mines could also get washed into a ditch, get covered by a metre of mud and years later someone comes digging. Boom. It's a loving mess.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Wait, hold up, Ukraine's nuclear agency has been named Ener Go Atom this entire time?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

continuing pressure on safe operation of the nuclear plant. the more introduced points of friction, the greater the chance of something going sideways

Frig, I did not think about that. I was confident a way to extend lines to keep water pumping in could be found, but keeping the entire structure in place without the support of a lake's worth of water is a much bigger problem to solve

Good job making a double historic environmental and humanitarian catastrophe Putin. How useful will the Black Sea be if the cooling pond of Europe's largest nuclear plant drains into it?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Doing magnet fishing is extremely inadvisable in Germany (if not illegal), same as going around with a metal detector.

Mines are built to sit in the mud, they will happily stay active during floods.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Not inert, no. Explosives that have lied in the bottom of a lake for decades can still be very dangerous.

Naval ordnance and sea mines still wash up on the North Carolina outer banks from WWII on occasion, and the Navy EOD people get to come out and deal with it. There’s no telling if the charges are still good or not (well, there’s one way :v: ) so they typically just detonate the things in place.

80+ years of saltwater exposure isn’t enough for anybody to think any washed up UXO is safe, freshwater doesn’t stand a chance.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

Doing magnet fishing is extremely inadvisable in Germany (if not illegal), same as going around with a metal detector.

Mines are built to sit in the mud, they will happily stay active during floods.

Yeah there's plenty of yt shorts/tiktoks of idiots magnet fishing out old grenades, mines, bombs, mortar shells, and other UXO, and almost universally are extremely irresponsible in the way they handle it too. They usually do call their local emergency services and a bomb squad comes out, but you can tell they're sick and tired of these clowns calling them out every few weeks with a new surprise

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Here's an article I read recently about the UXO from WW2 wrecks and post war marine munition dumping that is kind of relevant here. It's more focused on the environmental impacts but as part of that it goes into how dangerous this stuff still is, 75+ years on, and how difficult it is to clear and more properly dispose of, especially when you don't know what you've got, where it is, and what condition it's in. With a nice aside about how bad actors could recover and re-use some of it too!

On the environmental side, it's got a lot about how UXO leeches into the ecosystem, harming everything around it and, potentially, the humans at the other end of the foodchain. It's directly about fisheries but I have to imagine there are significant paralels between that and the amount of shells, mines, and ammunition being spread all over one of Europe's major agricultural regions.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Groke posted:

Pleonasm.

Oh yeah, my bad, fixed it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Just outside London in the Thames Estuary

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

To be honest, between the seesaw battles waste and post-WW2 industrial waste, the fresh mines and other uxo in the area are chump change.

It's the heavy metals from the former categories, now flushed from sediments, that will cause more immediate harm to fisheries. In the long run they will settle down again, but it will take a while. In the meantime the current shells will rust into a toxic slush, which is nice.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Counteroffensive has three fronts atm:

https://twitter.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1666877259364302878

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Humans are loving idiots.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/gbrumfiel/status/1666884691234807817?s=20

Looks like that particular speculation can be put to rest.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

When I was in the Peace Corps in Cambodia, depending on where in the country you got placed you were either going to be dealing with land mines or unexploded American bombs. I was in the part of the country that got plastered by the US Air Force and I think they dug up a half dozen bombs around my village just in the two years I was there.

What I'm trying to say is that Ukraine is going to be dealing with UXO for generations and it sucks.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hannibal Rex posted:

i did note this caveat, but still seems pretty strong evidence that this was an intentional act

quote:

There is still uncertainty. The seismic arrays can't locate the blast to closer than within 20-30 kilometers (12-19 miles) of the dam. But Oye says explosions in this particular part of Ukraine are rarely seen, and so a blast due to something else would be an unusual coincidence.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

When I hear about the state of the nuclear plants it's pretty amazing to me that basically even with a huge amount of malfeasance on behalf of an invading army the plant hasn't yet had something start leaking or gone critical. Really a statement to how over engineered these things are, and that basically it takes an act of god or intentional destruction of critical system to have something awful happen.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Interesting information about the construction of the dam. Apparently it was built specifically to withstand bombing

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1666803376015970304

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

I don't think there was ever any doubt there was an explosion (or, according to that chat that was posted earlier, a series of explosions starting at 2:20 local time).

The question is whether the explosion/s were the result or the cause of the dam failure. If the turbine hall was still in operation and/or the dam had been rigged up with explosives by the Russians, that makes it quite a powder keg (almost literally). We've already seen satellite photos showing (quite huge) concrete structures being swept away the day before. These were adjacent to the hydro plant buildings.

If the dam foundations had been eroded in that area (through water overtopping the sluice gates) the hydro plant buildings would have been one of the first things to go once there was a breach. As others have noted, the water level was significantly higher than it should have been.

It's a pretty academic point however; the devastation this has caused is entirely the Russian's fault, and doesn't seem to give them any advantage whatsoever. There's no scenario which doesn't make them look terrible.

Aertuun fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 8, 2023

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1666910606585200640

I find this thread pretty interesting. Zaluzhnyi hasn't spent much time in public recently while Syrskyi has had a few more appearances than usual.

That dude really hates Syrskyi.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
There's definitely footage of a Leopard 2 (non-tractor variants) in a staging area near Zaporizhzhia that have been hit by artillery, not sure about the progress of the other fronts, apparently 3 being developed atm, but the Western armour is being deployed

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Surprisingly, not a Trent Telenko thread about tires, but apparently Russia got Chinese tires for various military vehicles, to predictable results...
https://twitter.com/CovertGoat/status/1666939225252536325?s=20

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Surprisingly, not a Trent Telenko thread about tires, but apparently Russia got Chinese tires for various military vehicles, to predictable results...
https://twitter.com/CovertGoat/status/1666939225252536325?s=20

I remember seeing this in news at the beginning of the war. Seems like they haven’t found better suppliers (if the tweet is to be believed).

Also something is wrong with the truck’s suspension geometry because the tire hasn’t worn evenly.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

a primate posted:

I remember seeing this in news at the beginning of the war. Seems like they haven’t found better suppliers (if the tweet is to be believed).

Also something is wrong with the truck’s suspension geometry because the tire hasn’t worn evenly.

There’s a whole international supply chain for retreading heavy equipment tires. Probably cut off from that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
52km? That's not missing some zeroes?

Edit: oh, 52k km. What.is this, Aurora?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

OddObserver posted:

52km? That's not missing some zeroes?

Heavy vehicles on rough or unpaved roads. 52k km does seem low, but I'm sure even the best tires in the world get hosed up fast during wartime.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

a primate posted:

Evidently they were getting tires from China with predictable results. I assume the Chinese military has similar issues as well.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Djarum posted:

Evidently they were getting tires from China with predictable results. I assume the Chinese military has similar issues as well.

I don’t know anything about military equipment. But in consumer products it often is the case that Chinese companies export shittier stuff than the things they make for the local market.

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

Djarum posted:

I don’t think Russian army uses Chinese tires, there’s a plenty of local tire production in Russia. I’d guess dry-rotted ten plus years old tires is a more likely reason of heavy wear

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

HDC posted:

I don’t think Russian army uses Chinese tires, there’s a plenty of local tire production in Russia. I’d guess dry-rotted ten plus years old tires is a more likely reason of heavy wear

I vaguely remember Twitter star for a day Trent Telenko saying a lot of those busted tires at the start of the war were cheap Chinese tyres. Seemed a lot of the corruption stories were Russia ordering X and getting cheap Chinese products at the end.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

HDC posted:

Yeah, e.g. Nokia Tyres had a big factory there and they had to leave it to Russians.

Chalks posted:

Interesting information about the construction of the dam. Apparently it was built specifically to withstand bombing

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1666803376015970304

Look, the WTC was built to withstand jet fuel

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

HDC posted:

I seem to recall that was pointed out in some videos early in the war with people pointing out signs that tires were not just shoddily made but had clear signs of aging under poor conditions.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1667088506932297731

Interesting for the SBU to release transcripts implying the dam destruction was a mistake. Makes the recording more believable, which is perhaps the point, but also reduces the culpability of Russia somewhat (although obviously not entirely since planting explosives in a dam and then blowing it up accidentally is still some incredible negligence)

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Chalks posted:

Interesting for the SBU to release transcripts implying the dam destruction was a mistake. Makes the recording more believable, which is perhaps the point, but also reduces the culpability of Russia somewhat (although obviously not entirely since planting explosives in a dam and then blowing it up accidentally is still some incredible negligence)

Is there really less culpability if they just accidentally the whole thing while war criming and didn't intentionally the whole thing? That feels like a distinction without a difference.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Bel Shazar posted:

Is there really less culpability if they just accidentally the whole thing while war criming and dodn't intentionally the whole thing? That feels like a distinction without a difference.

I don't think in any meaningful way in terms of what the international response would be - the downing of the passenger airline was also probably accidental (in that they didn't realise it was civilian) but its still completely condemned. It does make some difference when it comes to anticipating future Russian tactics though I think. The action made no sense, so if Putin commanded the dam be blown up it could have implications about what other seemingly senseless and brutal acts he'd order. Perhaps any international action aimed at stopping him from doing this sort of thing again would be pointless if he didn't actually have anything to do with it.

I guess this also extends the theoretical scope of Russian incompetence in the opposite way, so we'd better cross our fingers about that nuclear plant.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

^^^^ dang!

Bel Shazar posted:

Is there really less culpability if they just accidentally the whole thing while war criming and didn't intentionally the whole thing? That feels like a distinction without a difference.

There is the same sort of difference as between "Vladimir Putin authorized the transfer of a Buk M1 system to Ukraine, which then shot down MH-17" and "Vladimir Putin authorized shooting down MH-17".

Anyway I wouldn't put give much value to a conversation between two Russian soldiers unless they were present. Soldiers love gossip and speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chalks posted:

While I lean towards Russia being behind it, that recording hardly proves that. It's just two Russians discussing the incident. The one who insists Russia did it, couldn't even recognise the Russia-appointed Kherson governor Saldo in the video where he tells everything is fine, and calls him a soldier. He also mentions seeing it on telegram, so chances are, this is just something he read on a random channel, like everyone else.