Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

By what massive reach do those posts even imply I was saying nobody likes the male guy? I clearly don't, but that's not really the issue
i mean acting like a remake has no value without femc sorta implies mc has no value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
For maximum comedy P3R should not include the Answer or FemC and instead include the content from P3eM and First Mission.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What I didn't like about The Answer was Aigis being the main character since I never really cared for her, but I can still appreciate what the game does.

I'm not sure I've met anyone who really liked Metis, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like metis

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I like her design.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked Metis as well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

i mean acting like a remake has no value without femc sorta implies mc has no value

You're not getting it. I don't actually want a remake if it's gonna be some half-assed thing. I don't think people should be asking for a remake for its own sake, which is what this clearly is. I think it's pointless because it doesn't address the actual problem, which is that every version of this game is compromised. If you just wanna play the game as the male protagonist on modern consoles, well, too bad, download an emulator. That was the best way to do it two weeks ago and I suspect it'll still be the best way to do it in the future, because I don't even really like the way this thing looks visually.

I don't even like Persona 3 that much. It deserves better than this, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also you know they're either never gonna put her in or, even more inexcusably, they're gonna rerelease this loving thing in two or three years with her in it

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I think from everything we have seen so far the remake looks pretty good, myself. Very excited about it.

Also Metis is sick. Great design.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think people like this "Makoto Yuki" fella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4gS2NmaCHU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

You're not getting it. I don't actually want a remake if it's gonna be some half-assed thing. I don't think people should be asking for a remake for its own sake, which is what this clearly is. I think it's pointless because it doesn't address the actual problem, which is that every version of this game is compromised. If you just wanna play the game as the male protagonist on modern consoles, well, too bad, download an emulator. That was the best way to do it two weeks ago and I suspect it'll still be the best way to do it in the future, because I don't even really like the way this thing looks visually.

I don't even like Persona 3 that much. It deserves better than this, though.
i mean the game could have substantial differences from the original, like rewrites to certain s. links. or maybe the guys will actually have s. links with the male mc, unlike original p3. theres a lot of ways to take this

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember thinking at the time about how the P3 and P4 MCs represented changes in what was considered "cool guy hair." Like during my earlier college years it was the longer bangs, and then soon after college it was the more "sharp/preppy" sort of look of the P4 MC.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, I certainly hope some of the Social Links got rewrites at least. Thinking about Hierophant, which is 10 ranks of you walking into a bookstore, the old couple saying three sentences each to you, and then "You feel closer to Bunkichi and Mitsuko"

Yes I know that one's the same in the female route

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As long as they leave Bebe alone.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Arist posted:

As good as the PS2 was, I don't think we need to remake every PS2 game ever made

I mean I guess, but I don't see the problem. I'll get the game

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm somewhat disappointed by no FeMC but also never really expected it if the game ever got a remake. I hope they rewrite some of the SLs and maybe give Tartarus some more visual flair.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing that I do think they'll at least rework is some of the party member skillsets. Akihiko had too much to do, Aigis' levelling curve was terrible, Ken didn't have enough to stand above Yukari outside of specific elemental affinity fights, etc.

Yukari and Mitsuru probably need the least tweaking but even they wouldn't hate a slight adjustment or two (Yukari could use Wind Boost/Amp, you could give Mitsuru Ailment Boost so Marin Karin/Tentarafoo aren't flipping a coin).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think that P3 is the game most in need of a remake, mechanically as well as in the Social Link writing. Not having FeMC and/or the Answer (if indeed that's true) sucks and means that the remake can't be the Finally Completely Definitive (This Time For Real) Edition of the game, but they could do a bunch of stuff, like adding manual skill inheritance and giving earlier access to the Compendium, or adding a Baton Pass-style mechanic, or adding the ability from P5S to change party member skillsets for old moves from the menu, or maybe having platonic versions of the female Social Links, or trading out some of the dumber Links for other party members that people actually like or whatever. I'm not expecting anything other than the mechanical stuff, but I hope it's more than just a visual upgrade, because while I don't have a problem with the models and aesthetic they presented in the trailer, P3 Exactly The Same Except Slightly Prettier just means I'm going to have the same problems playing it that I do playing the PS2 version, the visuals aren't the problem.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DourCricket posted:

Even if you scrap femc (you shouldn't she's easily the better protagonist) why on god's green earth would you keep the mc's GARBAGE s-links like Magician???

REPLACE THEM WITH YOUR PARTY MEMBERS ATLUS JESUS

This is almost as bad a decision to keep Tartarus intact (which hopefully they are not doing)

:same:

Although I am disappointed with the lack of FeMC...I'd like at least to have the male party members as SL instead of the bad ones :v:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

I think that P3 is the game most in need of a remake, mechanically as well as in the Social Link writing. Not having FeMC and/or the Answer (if indeed that's true) sucks and means that the remake can't be the Finally Completely Definitive (This Time For Real) Edition of the game, but they could do a bunch of stuff, like adding manual skill inheritance and giving earlier access to the Compendium, or adding a Baton Pass-style mechanic, or adding the ability from P5S to change party member skillsets for old moves from the menu, or maybe having platonic versions of the female Social Links, or trading out some of the dumber Links for other party members that people actually like or whatever. I'm not expecting anything other than the mechanical stuff, but I hope it's more than just a visual upgrade, because while I don't have a problem with the models and aesthetic they presented in the trailer, P3 Exactly The Same Except Slightly Prettier just means I'm going to have the same problems playing it that I do playing the PS2 version, the visuals aren't the problem.

I wonder how much rewriting they'll do, hopefully they'll at least get rid of the super weird stuff like no friends routes and some of the more dire social links. If they take it in a full P5R direction for mechanics I think that could be pretty fun, I really liked the introduction of confidant skills and I can't imagine they wouldn't add those unless they're going for a purely graphical remake.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I love to bitch about Persona games but it’s a mainline game and it’s pretty inject it in my veins please.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wonder if they'll replace any of the VAs. The last time they appeared in the game was 2018, which wasn't that long ago but I think you could tell that some of them have probably adjusted to different vocal ranges, like Yukari's.

Also replacing Junpei's and Aigis' would be good for personal reasons.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's zero world where Vic gets to be Junpei again, but unless something happened I don't think Karen Straussman has been booted from the VA industry sadly.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wonder if they'll replace any of the VAs. The last time they appeared in the game was 2018, which wasn't that long ago but I think you could tell that some of them have probably adjusted to different vocal ranges, like Yukari's.

Also replacing Junpei's and Aigis' would be good for personal reasons.
Mignogna at least doesn't seem to have done any work since 2019, so he'll probably be recast. Strassman is still getting work, but her case is arguably less dire than "is an actual sexual abuser" so I'm not sure Aigis would be recast.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I see it's 'overreact wildly to barebones teasers' season again.

Kinda surprised they didn't go fighting game with the P5 spinoff but I love tactical RPGs and I'll be very interested in seeing more gameplay trailers of Tactica.

I'll withhold judgement on the P3 remake until further details come out regarding the storyline. If every storyline beat is carried over from P3 including the social links, this might be a 'get only if on sale for more than 50% off' for me if at all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's zero world where Vic gets to be Junpei again, but unless something happened I don't think Karen Straussman has been booted from the VA industry sadly.

Nah. She just came back as Anna for the gacha Fire Emblem game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
No one is talking about how the tactic games looks like rear end. Like a 3DS game port

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

handheld game vibes is a plus

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

No one is talking about how the tactic games looks like rear end. Like a 3DS game port

tbqh i think more games should look like 3ds game ports

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tired Moritz posted:

Well then at least the Switch version (and yes I know there's no official confirmed Switch version but come on) shouldn't have performance issues...

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

It’s me, I’m who this dumb remake is for and other people who got in with persona 5. I’ve always wanted to see persona 3 but have no desire to play it since even though I loved 4, the drop in quality of life stuff from 5 was already pushing the limits of what I am willing to put up with, more so now after Royal. So if this works like 5 or Royal I will play the hell out of it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It makes sense they're doing this for P3 since it's the odd one out for having a completely half-assed dogshit rerelease on PC and other platforms.
If it gives me a chance to play the game with even a single chance of liking Junpei thanks to an English dub recast, then maybe it's worth that alone? But man I'd really love a rewrite or the chance to just... not participate in the Hashino Women Thing stuff like babe hunt. A "Haha no, I'm gay" option if you will.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd tell Junpei I'm gay if it meant not having to participate in Operation Babe Hunt.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
wtf why are there like a 100+ new posts in the persona threa-

:staredog:

Right uh, well I'm glad that P3 is getting modernized and I do think there's value in it even if it's just the male MC alone, but it's kinda out of touch to not also include the FeMC route which is overwhelmingly more popular.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also the P5T game looks like poo poo but w/e.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
I could see it getting some gameplay/QoL upgrades, but thinking any of the grody script stuff would be changed out is even more wildly optimistic than expecting FeMC was lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They did another pass on P5's dialogue to make it less homophobic for Royal. Changing whole scenes might be a bigger ask though

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Sydin posted:

Also the P5T game looks like poo poo but w/e.

My only thread comrade!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sydin posted:

wtf why are there like a 100+ new posts in the persona threa-

:staredog:

Right uh, well I'm glad that P3 is getting modernized and I do think there's value in it even if it's just the male MC alone, but it's kinda out of touch to not also include the FeMC route which is overwhelmingly more popular.

I don't think she's overwhelmingly more popular unless your sample size is like, this thread only lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FeMC is less popular than MC, but she's still popular. In terms of the female cast though, Mitsuru and Aigis are still top.