Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Those are a good option instead of my wish of a centralized control where you could shut off areas remotely.

Smart switches are *also* remote control. When you look at the smart switch UI you see every smart switch in the game* and can turn any of them on or off.

*whether connected to the same power grid or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

priznat posted:

Those are a good option instead of my wish of a centralized control where you could shut off areas remotely.

You are getting that too, along with the new switches they are adding a screen that lets you turn any of your power switches on or off from anywhere in the world.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
ohhhh poo poo that's cool I thought it was just adjusted at the box. Is it you gotta click on any box or any power carrying item at all?

My thought was a nice map diagram would be cool but that would be a bit much

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It's just a UI page like the map that you can access any time, you don't even need to be at your base to access it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
This vid (timestamp) has the full rundown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4mbNy3gt7c&t=218s

edit:

Gadzuko posted:

It's just a UI page like the map that you can access any time, you don't even need to be at your base to access it.

You need to be at a smart switch to access it, but that smart switch can be anywhere and doesn't need to be connected to anything. So you can just throw one down if you have the mats.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 8, 2023

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
it seems extremely helpful to keep your main base parts going while you expand other stuff, and give priorities

more things to fiddle with

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Klyith posted:

This vid (timestamp) has the full rundown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4mbNy3gt7c&t=218s

edit:

You need to be at a smart switch to access it, but that smart switch can be anywhere and doesn't need to be connected to anything. So you can just throw one down if you have the mats.

Oh, whoops I was remembering that wrong. It's a bit silly to require that intermediate step but that's not really a huge deal.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The main thing I am currently hoping for in a satisfactory 2 would be modular machines. One of the mods I tried for a bit had modular miners which kind of looked to do something similar.

Specifically, I'm imagining something like precision parts that are slow to manufacture but provide a way to increase machine throughput outside of power slugs or slamming down more machines.

Feldegast42 posted:

Actually I hope not, the game having an actual crafted world sets it apart from factorio or dyson sphere program.

I think the option for procgen would be neat. It won't ever beat hand placed, but I also have everything but the southeast quadrant of the map pretty well mentally mapped out by now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deki posted:

I think the option for procgen would be neat. It won't ever beat hand placed, but I also have everything but the southeast quadrant of the map pretty well mentally mapped out by now.

A feature request they're considering for later (v1 or after) is randomization / shuffling of resource nodes.

I dunno if it'll happen, because doing it right would be a fair amount of work. Clearly you'd want to do something smarter than just randomizing everything. But it would be real cool if it happened. Get a lot of that exploration & discovery feel back, and make planning your factories and logistics really interesting again once the general "this place is good for that factory" knowledge is demolished.

A fully procgen map (terrain, plants, water, etc) would suck, they're just never as good. Particularly when you're right down in it with 1st person.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don’t know, the UE 5.2 stuff looked pretty dope. It seems to be something heavily rule based, so it seems pretty tweakable. And you can mix it with hand designed assets, which you’d probably want to use for POIs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to explore massive factories in the fancy new lighting

I sure hope they aren't diverting resources to a satisfactory 2 while there's all that poo poo you can't do anything with in the current game. When will the Mercer sphere do something.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ninjewtsu posted:

I sure hope they aren't diverting resources to a satisfactory 2 while there's all that poo poo you can't do anything with in the current game. When will the Mercer sphere do something.

They've said in Q&A streams that they're not even thinking about DLC for Satisfactory yet let alone a full sequel. The game is taking a long time to develop but I don't think that's on account of the devs splitting focus.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They've said in Q&A streams that they're not even thinking about DLC for Satisfactory yet let alone a full sequel. The game is taking a long time to develop but I don't think that's on account of the devs splitting focus.

Have they given any indication of when 1.0 could be or maybe how many updates they envision before 1.0?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ninjewtsu posted:

I figure that they’ll want to do something entirely different for the next game, after all these years working on the same thing.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

kanonvandekempen posted:

Have they given any indication of when 1.0 could be or maybe how many updates they envision before 1.0?

no, they don't have a clear line on what 1.0 entails. there's a lot up in the air and they are working on it as they go

not the best plan but they're still putting out solid updates, and it'll be done when it's done

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kanonvandekempen posted:

Nothing "clear", but back around update 6 they said that they were concentrating on the stuff needed for 1.0 (plot, artifacts, etc) and that future updates would be less regular and have less content.

(And then they turned around and added blueprints, then an engine change.)

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The game is taking a long time to develop but I don't think that's on account of the devs splitting focus.

It's on account of releasing the game 8 times.

Like, I really enjoy this type of EA model and I think coffee stain's knocked it out of the park, but it is a really stupid way to develop a game. Every time they release an update they have to do little details and bug-fix work so the game is playable and high-quality. Then you go back to work making new things and adding bugs and loving the game up again.

Old saw about software development: the first 90% of the code takes 90% of the time, the last 10% also takes 90% of the time. Early access in the KSP & Satisfactory model means you live in that awful 10% zone repeatedly.

There's plenty of upside to balance that out (biz, natural hype-building, game design from how people play). But there's no way to avoid it being an insanely slow way to produce a game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
sustainable is more important than fast, and there's every indication the game will eventually make it to 1.0, which is more than i can say for many early access titles

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Perhaps the one thing I truly dislike about Satisfactory is they still have the WIP alien items and SAM ore littered everywhere serving no purpose. I always wondered why they didn't just pull those out of the game until they developed a use for them.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Didn’t they say it’s the last update until 1.0? I feel like the game is mostly where it needs to be outside of the engine upgrade.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was of the opinion the community manager leaving to work on their own game was also signalling the end of early access.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What kind of DLC could the game get?

An alternate map?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

What kind of DLC could the game get?

An alternate map?

Building a factory up in the space elevator

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

More stuff coming in upd 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2lOiHtygVM

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sweet, they're implementing what is effectively a creative mode. Also, a new default option to keep all your poo poo when you die. This is really good because especially in MP dying is a coinflip on whether or not the death box ends up under the world where we can't reach it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

As someone who’s “beaten” the game and was using a bunch of jank mods to achieve a lot of these settings, this is a godsend

I really don’t care for how unlocking alternate recipes is implemented, great stuff here

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I really like how alts work in the early and mid game, when I feel like they add some real variation and replayability. "Oops I don't have a screw alt, I need to make a different setup than the last 2 games."

By late game, or after you've played a few saves and just want to go straight to the megabuilds, they're less fun. "Oops I don't have the alt that's the difference between this build needing an extra 100 machines and 2 trains of resources, time to go collect some HDs."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah this is great, I've done it before where I grind out all the unlocks but now when I start fresh I just want to have all the stuff ready to go.

I don't think I'd use flight mode (build jetpack/hoverpack instead) or the god mode, but it's cool the options are there.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
can't wait to start a new save at tier 5

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:hellyeah: building a coal power plant before anything else

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Clark Nova posted:

:hellyeah: building a coal power plant before anything else

:same:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

On one hand - im tired of the pre-coal stage
on the other - the process of getting to coal usually sets me up with the supplies to actually build a coal power station

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Bet it will be the most used change in the Advanced Game Settings.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

On one hand - im tired of the pre-coal stage
on the other - the process of getting to coal usually sets me up with the supplies to actually build a coal power station

In the vid Jace said that starting a game at a later tier will also give some extra items for each tech level. Probably not a ton, but enough to set up a "bootstrap base" to build more of everything.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They can spawn me with nothing. I will caveman craft my way to a coal plant before I build a single structure.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Klyith posted:

In the vid Jace said that starting a game at a later tier will also give some extra items for each tech level. Probably not a ton, but enough to set up a "bootstrap base" to build more of everything.

And there’s an item spawner if you wanted to bootstrap a bit more!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

If I use the item spawner, even a little bit, I will quickly just turn that save into a creative mode save.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vasudus posted:

They can spawn me with nothing. I will caveman craft my way to a coal plant before I build a single structure.

Go straight to nukes with only using your chisel

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

priznat posted:

Go straight to nukes with only using your chisel

I'm sure there is a let's game it out video that does this

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Stab posted:

If I use the item spawner, even a little bit, I will quickly just turn that save into a creative mode save.

The map editor is still there if you want to start with X Y and Z but still have AGS locked off to remove temptations. A thing I did when I restarted after U6 was put down like 6 storage boxes in the area that I planned to build a new home base, and use the editor to fill them with the most basic materials.

I think if I did another new start in the future, instead of using AGS to start at tier 4 for instant coal power I'd use the editor to unlock geothermal at the start, and inventory edit the materials to place several of them. That's some non-tedious early power without jumping to a later tier and just doing the same thing I'd done in previous saves.

The editor can do that, you can unlock techs without unlocking their prerequisites. Way more flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Leal posted:

I'm sure there is a let's game it out video that does this

Josh does the lord’s work

His recent one about that space game where you harvest asteroids had some “lovely satisfactory” vibes lol