Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ah that sucks man but TBH that price is basically the same as the TKD tournament I went to last year. Did they get some swag at least? I got zero swag. Were the BBs sparring in brackets with lower levels? That's straight trash if so.

In other news I pulled a pec or something (a "titty muscle" as my friend said) last night and could barely finish class, let alone do open mat or stay for the intermediate class. I iced it , cold shower, Tiger Balm, and poo poo still hurts; like I can't even push myself up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Does it look like it has a really deep bruise? If it's just sore, maybe a little swollen and no real bruising, just take it easy and ice if off and on for a couple days. Ibuprofen might help too. But yeah, I've done that too and it's not fun. I actually trained fairly hard for the first time in over a month last night due to an injury I suffered in late March and then on holidays for 3 weeks. Hammy is still not great but I was able to go about 80%. Felt good to get out there but man is my cardio outright trash lol. I was a sweaty mess.

No swag really afaik but I didn't ask.

Fees for a typical tourney in our area is approx ~$25ish/event. So you could do point and patterns for $50. With our hosted tournaments we'll often do a "deal" where if you compete in 2x events, we will throw in a 3rd if you want. For example, say you compete in point and patterns, we might give you entry into continuous if you wish.. or a team event, or whatever.

We're actually sending our national team to the Worlds in Great Britain this summer. I'm curious as to what the fees are for that.

They weren't as bad as sticking BBs into a color belt division but the comment was more that the skill level of their BBs was questionable. Not saying we're TEAM AWESOME but you kind of expect a certain level of ability at BB to do more than a couple of the same single techniques over and over.

Speaking of clubs, remember how I mentioned that we were getting some inquiries from members that go to another club in our city? That's turned into a lot. Sounds like they raised their rates again. Now charging $190/month for 2 classes per week. We're getting refugees every week. We don't pressure them, we just invite them to try classes for a week or two and see how they like it. If they don't want to stay, that's fine. It also helps us gauge their skill level. We do not make them buy a new uniforms so we have several wearing the uniforms of the other club which is kinda interesting to see on the floor. We also honor their rank but we do need to see what they're at so I work with many of them as they come in. Pleasantly surprised with some, but not all. Some of their younger members that have been training since last year are more than a little shaky, but that's OK. They also do a yellow stripe rank which we skip entirely as the typical testing criteria for that is just something along the lines of a 4-direction technique, which our white belts learn to do anyhow so we skip it entirely so our whites first test is to a full yellow. Just leads to a belt on the floor we wouldn't normally see.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wtf? We pay from $0-25 for individuals, similar fee for a team.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think our last one was 20... But 25ish is common.

85 is pretty nuts, for here at least. Maaaaybe if it was all-in including any event in your division that might be almost justifiable?

But that wasn't the case.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EdsTeioh posted:

Ah that sucks man but TBH that price is basically the same as the TKD tournament I went to last year.

At that price, I sure as hell wouldn’t expect them calling for important process volunteers.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BJJ tournaments are often 60-90 dollars. And they're still always running late.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Alright, so a while back when I was looking for a new place to train, I mentioned a local place that did all types of Japanese arts but then got hesitant to go there since I heard they tended to push a pretty alt-right stance DURING classes. I have a friend that ended up going there despite me warning him about all of that. He's occasionally tell me some of the dumb stuff they say (typical boomer facebook bullshit), but he messed me yesterday telling me he's quitting due to: "...And then the instructor reminds me that he is an rear end in a top hat. The last session was Andrew Tate and a technique that initially was a revenge fantasy for him from the 80s, and a heavy use of the word f****t. It was some nonsense about how liberal ideas, soybeans, and microplastics are leading to the femininization of America's men." Yeesh, I really dodged a bullet there.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
lmao what

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

Does it look like it has a really deep bruise? If it's just sore, maybe a little swollen and no real bruising, just take it easy and ice if off and on for a couple days. Ibuprofen might help too. But yeah, I've done that too and it's not fun. I actually trained fairly hard for the first time in over a month last night due to an injury I suffered in late March and then on holidays for 3 weeks. Hammy is still not great but I was able to go about 80%. Felt good to get out there but man is my cardio outright trash lol. I was a sweaty mess.

Nah, no bruising; all better now for the most part. I think it was just a weirdo sprain or pull. I was initially afraid it was a tear esp after seeing Cody Rhodes from wrestling with that horrific torn pec he had last year. Back on the mats now, got a fancy new gi, AND learned the omoplata this week.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Classy. Bullet dodged for sure.

We have a club in our area which is probably pretty similar. More of a general MMA school. Was renowned for being very vocal about covid restrictions and total conspiracy peddling. Owner is a total meathead and tried to get Mike Tyson to fight him. For real.
Stayed the hell away and recommend everyone else I see do the same.

I think we talked about this before, but what is the "proper" way to was your gear? Specifically gloves and coated pads? I have tried glove dogs and they kinda work, but everything is wet afterwards and I would like to properly wash, if not sterilize periodically.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Edit: Never mind, not related to the topic enough.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 17, 2023

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

Classy. Bullet dodged for sure.

We have a club in our area which is probably pretty similar. More of a general MMA school. Was renowned for being very vocal about covid restrictions and total conspiracy peddling. Owner is a total meathead and tried to get Mike Tyson to fight him. For real.
Stayed the hell away and recommend everyone else I see do the same.

I think we talked about this before, but what is the "proper" way to was your gear? Specifically gloves and coated pads? I have tried glove dogs and they kinda work, but everything is wet afterwards and I would like to properly wash, if not sterilize periodically.

Like uh...when did he try to get Tyson to fight him...?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

I think we talked about this before, but what is the "proper" way to wash your gear? Specifically gloves and coated pads? I have tried glove dogs and they kinda work, but everything is wet afterwards and I would like to properly wash, if not sterilize periodically.

I wipe down with alcohol pads and put the gloves on a ski boot dryer. Putting them in the sun is supposed to help sterilize, but the weather’s not reliable for that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Alcohol wipes hey? Each time?

EdsTeioh posted:

Like uh...when did he try to get Tyson to fight him...?
Oh the dude is just a total loving moron. Open calling him out on Twitter and youtube or something like that and tagging him to it. I'm sure Mike Tyson doesn't know, or care who the gently caress this walnut is from some podunk down.

I'm sure Mike Tyson has turned down far better than him. He has zero to prove and nothing to gain by even paying attention to him.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

Oh the dude is just a total loving moron. Open calling him out on Twitter and youtube or something like that and tagging him to it. I'm sure Mike Tyson doesn't know, or care who the gently caress this walnut is from some podunk down.

I'm sure Mike Tyson has turned down far better than him. He has zero to prove and nothing to gain by even paying attention to him.

OOH gotcha. Wasn't sure if you meant like he petitioned for a fight back in the day or if this was a newer thing. Insane.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

The sanitary wipes that pull out of a big tube.

My gym has them, so I try to wipe there as soon as I take my gear off, to get the sweat while it’s all on the surface.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Yeah, we have those too. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try and remember that.

So we had an instructor camp this weekend. We do it 1-2x per year and we go over general changes, questions, etc with us and our associated schools. This year we finished up our meeting with a sparring class with our national team.

What I neglected to realize (although I should have) was this was a class for our team going to the worlds in the UK in July. All of us BBs were invited to join, so I did. One of only a couple of us that took them up on the offer.

Holy poo poo.

That was a mistake.

I haven't done a sparring class since I was going for my BB last year... and this was one hell of one to jump into.

We started with a solid 15 minutes of jumping rope. I literally haven't used a jump rope since school, like 30 years ago. I was a clumsy idiot and skipped like a kid in grade school, not light and effortless like a boxer. Double foot take off each time.

I was exhausted.

Then we get into the class. Started balls deep with 2x2min full on sparring rounds. 30 second rest in between.

I was partnered with a great guy from one of our sister schools that I've never sparred with. A 4th dan, in great physical shape but I've got about 10 years on him (and not in the good way).

Jesus. I haven't done intense 2 minute rounds in a while either, especially not after 15 minutes of skipping rope. I was exhausted. He was going hard, I was going hard. I was definitely not pacing myself for the 2 minute rounds, but his superior cardio carried him through. I was an exhausted, soggy mess.

Then immediately into technical drills.

Then more sparring, more technical drills, more sparing, etc.

I lasted about 45-50 minutes of the 90 minute class. I had to throw in the towel. I was not only exhausted, and truth be told I probably could have fought through that, but it was my shoulder. It's undiagnosed, but I've had it for years. Sometimes tingling at the fingers, but never enough to impact what I can do. But this time was too much. It was aching so much and felt so weak I literally couldn't even keep my right arm up just for a standard sparring/fighting stance. I couldn't help but drop it.

If I start the process for my 2nd degree this fall for June 2024 testing, I've gotta get this shoulder figured out and get my cardio back up to snuff. I think I'll have to cut out booze again.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 28, 2023

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to get (kinda back) into Muay Thai; I'm using that as an excuse to get new gloves as well, as my old dirt cheap lovely ones are starting to degrade a bit around the velcro. Specifically I'm looking for ones that have a bit more wrist support / accommodate my skinny wrists better.

I know the wraps and technique matter more but those are relatively down and I just want the extra ease of mind.

I'm looking at Fairtex BGV1s or maybe Hayabusa s4s, but would love to hear any goon tips.

Also need shinguards but I'm less worried about those, will probably go for the Fairtex SP5s, especially after Kimbo's post last month.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I like my Hayabusas because the second wrist strap makes my wrist feel way more secure, it made a big difference for me

I don't like the cloth sweat-wipe thumb pad though on mine (I think i have the T3?). Its not very effective at actually wiping away sweat, yet it absorbs stuff so I got to clean it. I would get the hayabusa model one step dowm that still has the doubel wrist strap but no fiber thumb if I was buying again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I follow a few sanshou athletes/influencers on Instagram, and coming off of the national team trials, one of them posted a highlight reel showing his fights against two other competitors.

In the first fight, he was scoring all day with sidekicks, including a liver shot knockdown.
Then capped it off with a headkick KO....

then he deleted it and reposted without the headkick. It's an interesting dilemma. I doubt the loser signed any sort of image waiver to whomever videoed that fight. At this level, the event organizers sure don't record video in a more public capacity. So it was all on the person who posted to pick which bits were worth sharing.

I've never been in the position to have footage of an incredibly decisive, fight-winning shot, so can't say which way I'd go.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I think it's fine to post videos and pics of fights for friends and family. If you're an "influencer" and you're profiting off of it, you should absolutely get the permission of your opponent before posting a video of them getting their rear end kicked for the sake of self-aggrandizement.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Where does that guy whose wife posted zuck getting slept fall on this continuum

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OctaMurk posted:

I like my Hayabusas because the second wrist strap makes my wrist feel way more secure, it made a big difference for me

I don't like the cloth sweat-wipe thumb pad though on mine (I think i have the T3?). Its not very effective at actually wiping away sweat, yet it absorbs stuff so I got to clean it. I would get the hayabusa model one step dowm that still has the doubel wrist strap but no fiber thumb if I was buying again.

A few of our people wear hayabusas too and really like them. When my adidas die, which probably won't be much longer, I'll likely buy a pair myself.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think it's fine to post videos and pics of fights for friends and family. If you're an "influencer" and you're profiting off of it, you should absolutely get the permission of your opponent before posting a video of them getting their rear end kicked for the sake of self-aggrandizement.
I think that's a fair generalization.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

butros posted:

Where does that guy whose wife posted zuck getting slept fall on this continuum

Say what you want but props to Zuck for fully embracing the sport. Competing, lying about being unconscious and I'm sure he's got some incredible PEDs.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

OctaMurk posted:

The P4 has the thumb thing and only one wrist strap.
The T3 types have regular thumb and double strap but are :10bux::10bux: .

Ah well might have to go for something cheaper like the Fairtex and then see where I'm at from there.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Aren’t you in brisbane? I’ve got some top king gloves and shinpads in good condition that I haven’t used for 5+ years. Free if you want ‘em.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 9, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

During the summer we revert to a different schedule until the beginning of September. It's a shortened schedule which means we only offer training 3x days per week, although there are separate adult and kids classes each of those days. Reason we do this is many of the members take the summer off to go on holidays, or just want a break (including the instructors) so our typical schedule of multiple classes 6 days a week becomes underutilized. We close the branch/remote schools and just continue in our main club.

Those of us that continue to train over the summer are typically the more "committed" students and we really enjoy it because we go to a schedule of rotating instructors. All the senior instructing black belts from the various schools rotate instructing days over the summer and get paired up with another BB that acts as an assistant instructor that has expressed a desire to be further involved/learn to teach. Gives a real flavor as students will very often have BBs teaching them that they may have never been with before, or in some circumstances never even met before. So in that way it's kind of fun and you really get a flavor of their different styles. Sometimes, it might be more technical drills, sometimes sparring drills, sometimes go totally into the weeds on forms and arranged sparring, others become a straight up your gonna work your rear end off and sweat day. You don't know and totally gives a different vibe from the "normal" classes you get used to. We also mix up the assistants with the senior instructors so by the end of Aug most instructors have all ended end up working with each other (including our 2x Masters) at least twice.

Reason I gave this is background is we start the summer schedule next week, and I start officially instructing on Monday. Both kids and adults. I'm paired with my master and he wants me to run at least half the class. Warm ups (no prob, that I'm pretty good), into some drills which will likely end in forms/patterns. And I know he'll be evaluating me and my thought process with structuring a class and instruction. Totally constructive I'm sure, but nevertheless evaluating.

I know what I want to accomplish. I want to get a little in the weeds and fairly technical on our 2 most common and basic stances and transitioning between them. Reason being, I *always* notice during testing we see some terrible examples and transitions with these basic stances. Even with students specifically instructed about it. So bad I know what the stance should be but it looks nothing like what they're doing. Sometimes not even just sloppy, outright wrong which actually points the body/torso incorrectly. This will obviously be reflected in their marks. I chalk a lot of it up to nerves as it is super stressful when testing but I want to force it down their throats enough so it *hopefully* becomes intuitive and they should know right away if they screwed up because it doesn't feel right. Another benefit of this is this is applicable for all levels, so I don't really need to modify the plan even for senior belts as I see the issue happening at all ranks from time to time.

My main concern is boring the students or risk losing their engagement that are good at this already or even if they're not. I'll try to make it transition into a incorporating it into a few combination moves which normally don't flow together to make them think and not be on autopilot and make them physically look at their foot placement all the time. I hope I'll only need to do this for a max of 10ish minutes and my plan is to eventually turn the drills into the white belt pattern (which everyone knows). But it gives me a chance to try and work out some bad habits which always seem to sneak into practice so I hope it does some good.

Gonna bring a notebook with a game plan to try and keep on track... and be prepared to have my master tell me "don't ever do a class like that again" :lol:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 10, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Did the classes last night, I ended up running most of it. I'm happy with how it turned out.

I had the kids controlled which was a little surprising as I got a little technical, but not over any of their heads. As planned, I focused on stances and transitioning them. I tried to keep it interactive by asking questions and they seemed engaged. When my master took after for the last bit of class he made it a bit more fun and let them blow off some steam.

Adults, I gave a warm up that was probably a little too much. I made them sweat. Hard. lol. But I always do it too so they know I'm not just making them do hard stuff to be a jerk.

But I dialed it back by going over a lot of the same stuff as I did with the kids class. Redundant for black belts for sure but I wanted to make sure the color belts were developing good habits.

At the end of the day, was chatting with master who was supervising and asked for his feedback. He and my other master have each been teaching since the early 90s.

He said that it was really good. He was genuinely surprised how under control the kids were and totally thought I would have lost them with the fairly dry subject matter. He figures because they don't know me either my presence scares/intimidates them a bit, or, they're just sizing me up and will probably eat me alive after a few more classes :lol:

Now to do a lesson plan for tomorrow. I picked up a little binder and the dollar store and I'm stealing ideas writing my ideas down so I can go back to it and come up with plans.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

students will very often have BBs teaching them that they may have never been with before, or in some circumstances never even met before. So in that way it's kind of fun and you really get a flavor of their different styles. Sometimes, it might be more technical drills, sometimes sparring drills, sometimes go totally into the weeds on forms and arranged sparring, others become a straight up your gonna work your rear end off and sweat day. You don't know and totally gives a different vibe from the "normal" classes you get used to.
This is something I really appreciate about my gym, which is that each instructor is trusted to do the class their own way. I submitted a curriculum at the launch of the gym, with example lessons and advancement standards, but the owner never looked at it.

It’s not just Muay Thai or Sanshou, but Phil drilling a couple of Muay Thai combos to mastery, or Kimbo’s sanshou catch technique to limited rules sparring progressions. Every class has a different vibe based on the instructor as much as the art.

quote:

Reason being, I *always* notice during testing we see some terrible examples and transitions with these basic stances. Even with students specifically instructed about it. So bad I know what the stance should be but it looks nothing like what they're doing. Sometimes not even just sloppy, outright wrong which actually points the body/torso incorrectly.

I'll try to make it transition into a incorporating it into a few combination moves which normally don't flow together to make them think and not be on autopilot and make them physically look at their foot placement all the time.

slidebite posted:

As planned, I focused on stances and transitioning them. I tried to keep it interactive by asking questions and they seemed engaged.

totally thought I would have lost them with the fairly dry subject matter

Fundamentals get overlooked in this industry, imo. I’ve been thinking about rebranding them as grindamentals to get the point across that they’re not fun; they’re supposed to make you better. It’s too easy to let someone hit the pads hard with bad form and let them think they’re being a badass and walk away from the class satisfied.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Hope this is the right place to ask? I watched the Ip Man movies recently and one thing that always sticks out to me with this genre of movies (the Chinese martial arts genre?) is that the filmography always seems to focus or play some kind of weird importance on fancy foot/arm/finger movements. Like, someone will deflect a kick and the camera focuses on the guy's precise footwork and how it glides across the floor before focusing on how the guy moves his fingers and hands in a weird robotic way to follow up. You know what I'm talking about?

As someone who has never done a martial arts before in my life I can't help but wonder why are these so important. It seems like you're just wasting a lot of time and energy and while you're out there gliding your feet precisely across the floor the other guy could just straight up kick you in the nuts and punch you in the throat or something. I mean, compare these scenes in Ip Man to something like in John Wick where John really does just go for the nuts and throat and end the fight right then and there.

So I guess I was just curious whether or not these types of movements were something you'd actually do, or if it's just played up for the show. Is it just what Chinese audiences consider to be "bad rear end" and such?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Hollandia posted:

The P4 has the thumb thing and only one wrist strap.
The T3 types have regular thumb and double strap but are :10bux::10bux: .

Ah well might have to go for something cheaper like the Fairtex and then see where I'm at from there.

The t3 definitely has the microfber thumb unless youre looking at the leather one

The h5 has the double wrist strap also for less $$ than the t3

Either way the t3 is too mucch, go for the h5 at the most

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hope this is the right place to ask? I watched the Ip Man movies recently and one thing that always sticks out to me with this genre of movies (the Chinese martial arts genre?) is that the filmography always seems to focus or play some kind of weird importance on fancy foot/arm/finger movements. Like, someone will deflect a kick and the camera focuses on the guy's precise footwork and how it glides across the floor before focusing on how the guy moves his fingers and hands in a weird robotic way to follow up. You know what I'm talking about?

As someone who has never done a martial arts before in my life I can't help but wonder why are these so important. It seems like you're just wasting a lot of time and energy and while you're out there gliding your feet precisely across the floor the other guy could just straight up kick you in the nuts and punch you in the throat or something. I mean, compare these scenes in Ip Man to something like in John Wick where John really does just go for the nuts and throat and end the fight right then and there.

So I guess I was just curious whether or not these types of movements were something you'd actually do, or if it's just played up for the show. Is it just what Chinese audiences consider to be "bad rear end" and such?

Like this?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzU55vg9buU&t=51s

It's basically the movie style that the kung fu movie industry settled on for a long time.
Static or tracking closeups of the legs/feet or the hands/arms are easier for the camera people to execute.

The actors are asked to do long takes to get more filmed minutes per hour of production, so snappy precise choreography from both partners in a shot helps maximize the action while making it easy for the actors to time and coordinate their moves.
In the realm of Chinese Martial Arts, there are definitely arts that emphasize explosive staccato stepping footwork, so there's certainly a basis for why those movements in kung fu movies are aesthetically appealing. In theory, these will get you in or out of range quickly while also adding power to your strikes coming in. Xingyi is probably the archetypical style for that:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CtUvkNnBIEk/

Prolonged just-upper body fighting or lower body fighting isn't the norm or expected encounter -- those are just used to show that the two fighters are closely matched and countering each others' moves.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 15, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kimbo305 posted:

This is something I really appreciate about my gym, which is that each instructor is trusted to do the class their own way. I submitted a curriculum at the launch of the gym, with example lessons and advancement standards, but the owner never looked at it.
I do have preferences for instructors, but I also personally enjoy changing up when I am training. I think all the students do.

Some instructors that have been teaching for 20+ years have a fairly set style. Not meaning to disrespect as they do try to change it up a bit from time to time, but there is still the typical style that shows through. Like "OK, this instructor is quite technical on technique, this instructor specializes in sparring techniques, this one really focuses on reaction times," etc. Sometimes they'll surprise and change it up 180 degrees, but that's a rarity.

The younger/less experienced instructors like myself rely on our experience as students ourselves and have a lot of autonomy in the lesson plans for when we teach. So we're a bit of wild card and still finding our footing with instructing style.

The biggest issue that I think I am running into is, especially for drills, having to create different lessons based on level.

Once you hit green belt, it's pretty much a green light to do anything but white and yellow/green stripe have a set number of techniques. So if I have a great drill planned for senior belts and there is 1 yellow belt in class (or whatever) I can't give them spinning reverse hook kicks to do, but I need to give them techniques which are similar and can go with the same cadence for timing and hopefully don't bore them.

That's just an experience thing I guess. I'm having to think about it a lot. Not knowing who is attending class ahead of time makes it a little more difficult as you have to almost plan for 3 different exercises/drills as a just in case, but I think that's all experience and will come with time. I am pretty sure the more experienced instructors can come up with it on the spot.

quote:

Fundamentals get overlooked in this industry, imo. I’ve been thinking about rebranding them as grindamentals to get the point across that they’re not fun; they’re supposed to make you better. It’s too easy to let someone hit the pads hard with bad form and let them think they’re being a badass and walk away from the class satisfied.
I agree. Speaking with one of my masters that started with Karate back in the early 80s, he told me that was a fundamental part of their warm ups each day. A set of techniques that dealt a lot of stances and they did it every day.

We do absolutely teach stances as fundamentals. The practicality of pivoting mid-lesson and focusing on it when you have a class of 20+ students and 1 primary instructor (and an assistant who may/may not be available), it makes focusing on it for 1-2 students that are struggling tough and with younger members, gives a high potential of them getting bored. My goal for this week has been trying to keep an eye on the few students that I know struggle the most and during the drills saying periodically "remember to look at your feet. If your back foot is to the side/lifted, it's likely X" and continuing on, correcting directly when appropriate or especially egregious. Other than Monday when I told them out right that this was going to be our focus and we're *really* working on it. But I know if I did that again anytime soon I'd lose some of the youngest ones.

We're in a bit of a tight spot right now especially with the kids class as there are only 2 instructors (being a kids class, no adult BB is obviously training that can step in on a moments notice to assist). Since we just did testing the assistant is working with the new promotions with their new mandatory stuff like forms/patterns, pre-arranged sparring techniques. So our time for mid-drill corrections is tight as usually it's the assistant that floats and assists with that stuff mid-drill but that should be coming to an end shortly.

OctaMurk posted:

The t3 definitely has the microfber thumb unless youre looking at the leather one

The h5 has the double wrist strap also for less $$ than the t3

Either way the t3 is too mucch, go for the h5 at the most
I'm taking a good look at the H5 myself now, thanks.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

BJJ Folks: For some reason, all of Inverted Gear's gis are marked at $99 (except the newest one). Mine is by far the best gi I've worn so far and that's a steal; I'm just trying to decide between a 350 and 400 gsm right now.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Anyone got good recommendations for boxing shoes, preferably low cut? I been wearing some merrell vapor gloves and looking at the bearfoot ursus since I like quite low cut shoes, but thinking about actual boxing shoes too.

Even then the low cut boxing shoes still look kind of high to me and Im worried Ill get blisters or chafing with my regular athletic socks (ankle socks)

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Just posting to say that about three months ago, after reading through this thread in its entirety, I finally kicked myself in the rear end and got back on the mats doing judo again after a 15+ year hiatus. I had done CQC stuff in the meantime but haven't regularly trained for years. Been loving it and I really think I've rediscovered a passion. I appreciate all the posters and advice in this thread.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jcam posted:

Just posting to say that about three months ago, after reading through this thread in its entirety, I finally kicked myself in the rear end and got back on the mats doing judo again after a 15+ year hiatus. I had done CQC stuff in the meantime but haven't regularly trained for years. Been loving it and I really think I've rediscovered a passion. I appreciate all the posters and advice in this thread.

Nice, I want to know more!

How much Judo had you done before?
How big is your school?
Do they do a lot of tournaments?
It's been three months now, how is it now that you're past the brand new shock?
Do you feel like anything is different about your Judo game now that you're back?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Jack B Nimble posted:

Nice, I want to know more!

How much Judo had you done before?
How big is your school?
Do they do a lot of tournaments?
It's been three months now, how is it now that you're past the brand new shock?
Do you feel like anything is different about your Judo game now that you're back?

I trained for about four or five years in the mid-2000's, I was really enjoying it and can't really remember why I decided to call it quits. The adult class I'm attending varies pretty wildly with attendance - some nights it'll be six of us plus the instructor, other nights almost 20 people rolling around. As for tournaments I know they regularly participate in provincial and national stuff (I'm in Ontario, Canada), but I think participation has been a bit low lately for them to organize something locally with the other schools from what I've seen.

After three months of shaking off cobwebs I'm coming to terms with the fact that my joints and muscles just don't recover the way they used to, so I've had to really adjust my recovery routine and be way more patient with myself. I'm really happy that a significant amount of muscle-memory is still there! Every night I find myself saying I don't remember anything, and then little positional tips and tricks come back and I get a little knowing smile from the instructor. Feels good.

Jeeze, my own judo game. Everything feels a lot more intentional now. I feel like having the context of having been knocked around a few times in life and having defended myself from attackers on several occasions has made me want to really break down and understand things more than just slamming a partner and practicing for a competition. I feel way, way, way more excited to give time and attention to a training partner now, and very appreciative of a good roll with someone. I don't feel any ego-related crap now, whereas years ago I know I felt pressure to "prove" myself to different people in different ways. I fought in a few competitions before, and I'm really interested in doing it again, but now I want to do it as a personal achievement rather than to dunk on someone, if that makes sense.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's awesome, sounds like they're lucky to have you. 6 adults on a low night is the stuff of dreams to me, very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's awesome, sounds like they're lucky to have you. 6 adults on a low night is the stuff of dreams to me, very nice.

No way, I'm the lucky one! Lucky that they've been super-welcoming, and that my old injuries aren't preventing me from pursuing it again.