Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

BabyRyoga posted:

This is kinda funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrkjtL33hNQ

Another 'game devs forgot to carry the one' instance

This seems like a pretty big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

MMAgCh posted:

Small PSA concerning an act 5 quest, so as to hopefully spare anyone else getting blindsided by it: when you pick up a certain vial of quicksilver, do not fast-travel to where you need to take it, but go there on foot/by horse. If you do teleport there, the quest item will drop out of your inventory and you'll need to head back to where you found it all over again.

I have no earthly idea why this happens. :shrug:

Oh okay, I thought I fumbled and didn't pick it up. That was weird.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

Oh okay, I thought I fumbled and didn't pick it up. That was weird.

Yep, I made the same mistake. I thought the quest was bugged because I couldn't click on anything.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still bumbling around Act 1 kinda and one of my favorite side quest chains is Sister Octavia. Short and simple but I like the idea of just running around helping out with exorcisms.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Asproigerosis posted:

does it matter if I hit 50 before I beat the story? Do all the side poo poo before beating story/hitting 50?

Tier 1/2 stops scaling beyond level 50, and you can't progress to Tier 3 until you finish the story. Monster XP will seriously taper off once you start killing enemies lower level than you.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Guys. Guys. Guys!

Game good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

Guys. Guys. Guys!

Game good.

I know I was hard on this game before release, like unfairly so, but yes. Overall despite some obviously broken poo poo, D4 is still really good. Its what I wish Diablo 3 had been.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

BabyRyoga posted:

This is kinda funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrkjtL33hNQ

Another 'game devs forgot to carry the one' instance

I was wondering why tossing on a resist flask did effectively nothing to lower the hits I was taking in the T3 capstone dungeon.

I knew it was halved due to the armor% also effecting things, but I didn't think it was that poo poo.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Revitalized posted:

I'm still bumbling around Act 1 kinda and one of my favorite side quest chains is Sister Octavia. Short and simple but I like the idea of just running around helping out with exorcisms.

Yeah she’s great

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

isk posted:

Other than that, all my gear was identical. Paragon Points helped, for sure, but the raw level calculation was the big one.

So what’s the raw level calculation happening then? Are the stat changes that significant?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 9, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

MMAgCh posted:

Small PSA concerning an act 5 quest, so as to hopefully spare anyone else getting blindsided by it: when you pick up a certain vial of quicksilver, do not fast-travel to where you need to take it, but go there on foot/by horse. If you do teleport there, the quest item will drop out of your inventory and you'll need to head back to where you found it all over again.

I have no earthly idea why this happens. :shrug:

I happens because the quicksilver is labeled an 'Area Item' which means teleporting with it drops it instead. That designation is usually reserved for dungeon keys and the like.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

I said come in! posted:

To clarify did it scale up to level 51? That is what I thought it would do is stop scaling at level 50, but i'm wrong about a great many things pretty often.

Magitek posted:

Tier 1/2 stops scaling beyond level 50, and you can't progress to Tier 3 until you finish the story. Monster XP will seriously taper off once you start killing enemies lower level than you.

Aha, apologies then. I hadn't noticed that. Carry on.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Brain Curry posted:

Yeah she’s great

Each act has had at least one really good side quest chain for me and I'm looking forward to discovering more. Act V has one with a supposed heretic girl accidentally summoning demons wherever she goes.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kaddish posted:

I had one too many cannabis gummies and lost like 600k gold because of this.

Ive wasted like 2 million because I didn't realize you can just unspec a single point :psyduck:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but you can do the Acts out of order. I somehow finished II before I because I was way more telegraphed.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Tiny Timbs posted:

So what’s the raw level calculation happening then? Are the stat changes that significant?

To put it simply, your stats are less impactful when you attack a higher level mob. Significant level deltas lead to significant impacts. The stat changes themselves can vary depending on gear and Paragon choices

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thread knows I'm a level scaling hater, but:

I def feel that unless you find some good aspects and put a little thought into your build, its possible to over scale the monsters proportionate to yourself. The game gets harder the higher up you go, but you only really get the best gear once you've cleared the main story and are grinding out the higher world tiers. With this in mind you probably wanna do the story sooner rather than later

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Brain Curry posted:

Yeah she’s great

and also towards the end of that chain I was actually afraid it was not gonna end well because like... it's grimdark Diablo-land. But was pleasantly surprised that we were able to resolve it the way I wanted it to. Also the civilian punching that dude tryna interrupt was great.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Ahem. *clears throat for about five seconds too long* Poob

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

That's just how he rolls now. I've only met him once and I was entirely unprepared

Butcher 4.0 is the best part of the game. He's a pants-making GBS threads masterpiece.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What's the point of bloodmarking if bloodmarked players can attack you whether or not you've done so? Feels like you just miss out for nothing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Act 3 and Act 4 are a bit weird. I feel like some of the end of act 3 should have been in act 4 cause the later is so short. Act 4 boss is really awesome however.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Finished the main story and really the plot has no right to be as good as it is for a Diablo game. I didn't even get pissed at Neyrelle at the end even though she's totally screwed.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I wish there were a way to select and highlight things you are looking for on gear, looking at 200-300 pieces of loot at level 64 to find maybe one piece that could maybe be an upgrade if I replace an affix and get something good is wearing me down.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

katkillad2 posted:

I wish there were a way to select and highlight things you are looking for on gear, looking at 200-300 pieces of loot at level 64 to find maybe one piece that could maybe be an upgrade if I replace an affix and get something good is wearing me down.

yes the game needs a filter or something

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Can someone in the 70+ bracket help me clear the t3 capstone. Its a cakewalk up to the boss... who 1shots me with any ability. Super fun. (I am way underlevel)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

katkillad2 posted:

I have been trying to get a good replacement helm for 20 levels now. Anything that drops is either a huge downgrade and has a poo poo aspect.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Djarum posted:

I have been trying to get a good replacement helm for 20 levels now. Anything that drops is either a huge downgrade and has a poo poo aspect.

Consider juggling aspects so your helm doesn't have one of the more important ones, something on a codex, maybe. Then just upgrade a yellow with the codex or a ripped aspect.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
you can also replace the aspect on a legendary item with another aspect if you like the stats

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am confused about refunding skill points: I tried refunding a point from a leaf skill but it says that "You can not refund a node that is required to keep a cluster unlocked, even though that if I did refund it, everything would still be unlocked, or at least it is not something that would suddenly make another skill invalid to take:

Is the idea that if I want to refund something from a certain node branch, I need to refund everything so that I only have enough points in the tree so that the latest node that is unlocked is the one where I actually want to refund skills from?

Because this seems...counterintuitive at best. Please tell me I am missing something.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I am confused about refunding skill points: I tried refunding a point from a leaf skill but it says that "You can not refund a node that is required to keep a cluster unlocked, even though that if I did refund it, everything would still be unlocked, or at least it is not something that would suddenly make another skill invalid to take:

Is the idea that if I want to refund something from a certain node branch, I need to refund everything so that I only have enough points in the tree so that the latest node that is unlocked is the one where I actually want to refund skills from?

Because this seems...counterintuitive at best. Please tell me I am missing something.

you probably dont have enough points in the basic and core clusters to keep your connection to the next one?

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Whats up with the nightmare sigil drops.

I had my first 2 drops from a whispering cache. Cool. I run them and get...no more sigils. Eventually another sigil drops in a random dungeon. Run it, and again no other sigils drop.

I thought they were kinda meant to chain into higher and higher ranks. Am I just unlucky or did i miss something here.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Hey Duriel you old bastard, how you been?!?! I haven't seen you in ages!

That fight fuckin ruled

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mikojan posted:

you probably dont have enough points in the basic and core clusters to keep your connection to the next one?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something fundamental: I was assuming that when you put a point into something, anything, it would count towards unlocking the next cluster. Is it actually the case where in order to unlock the next cluster, you need to put points into nodes in the currently unlocked cluster, meaning that if I went back and put a skill in a previous cluster it would not apply?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something fundamental: I was assuming that when you put a point into something, anything, it would count towards unlocking the next cluster. Is it actually the case where in order to unlock the next cluster, you need to put points into nodes in the currently unlocked cluster, meaning that if I went back and put a skill in a previous cluster it would not apply?

All clusters have to stay unlocked simultaneously. If you try to refund everything from the first cluster you will get an error, you have to keep 3 points there or whatever was required to unlock core. The same applies the whole way up the tree

E: you can put more points into early stuff to count for later stuff, but not the other way around

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Little Demon posted:

quote:

Black Griffon posted:

Dude with all respect can you disconnect your internet, go outside and don't come back? You're the most aggro oval office I've seen in weeks and it's off-putting.

Errrr.. could you please get rid of the gendered insult you loving chud? I have literally never interacted with you and you go right to using gendered insults?

Black Griffon posted:

Dude with all respect can you disconnect your internet, go outside and don't come back? You're the most aggro nerdlord I've seen in weeks and it's off-putting.
Edit: I hang out with Australians too much. It's a useful word, your loss.

lmao at this excuse

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 9, 2023

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Smellem Sexbad posted:

Whats up with the nightmare sigil drops.

I had my first 2 drops from a whispering cache. Cool. I run them and get...no more sigils. Eventually another sigil drops in a random dungeon. Run it, and again no other sigils drop.

I thought they were kinda meant to chain into higher and higher ranks. Am I just unlucky or did i miss something here.

yeah i think the chance is lower for the lower tier nightmare dungeons. doing the 50+ ones i usually pick up like 4~ per run

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Another question re: leveling.

Whats the best way to level after 50 solo? The amount of stuff to do is kinda overwhelming.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gadzuko posted:

All clusters have to stay unlocked simultaneously. If you try to refund everything from the first cluster you will get an error, you have to keep 3 points there or whatever was required to unlock core. The same applies the whole way up the tree

E: you can put more points into early stuff to count for later stuff, but not the other way around

Okay, I think I understand now even though it took me a bit: If I refunded the one Upheaval leaf skill, the later skill points won't make up for that one in terms of keeping the connection.

Still kind of annoying but at this point by no means prohibitive. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Smellem Sexbad posted:

Another question re: leveling.

Whats the best way to level after 50 solo? The amount of stuff to do is kinda overwhelming.

Grinding the Dungeon Anica's Claim because it has multiple events and elite packs that are guaranteed. Right now its kinda hard to find something because Blizzard is silently nerfing any really good exp farming methods, but this one remains untouched for now.