Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Android Apocalypse posted:

ALL THE PLASTIC RATS

I'm not sure why it's any different but I'm very glad they don't throw real dead rats on to the ice instead of catfish or octopuses. Octopi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's Octopuses since it's root is Greek & not Latin.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 9, 2023

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

I'm r's Octopuses since it's root is Greek & not Latin.

Octopuses and octopi are both accepted pluralizations. If you wanted to go back to the Greek root, it would technically be octopodes.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Goddamn the panthers rock. Such an amazing game. What a blast. Hockey is so much fun live.

Florida sports 😎

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

lol

lmao

these idiots

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

ozymandius1024 posted:

I've heard that a few times over the years, and I just can't co-sign it. Aliens is almost like a different genre of movie than the original.

Aliens is a great great action movie, but Alien is a sci-fi horror classic. (T2 is unquestionably better than the first Terminator though, so no arguments there)

I think you can make the exact same argument for T1 and T2.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My Mom's favorite restaurant to stop at when we were doing road trips between Chicago and the upper peninsula of Michigan (where her parents lived) was goddamn Cracker Barrel.

Every single goddamn time, they burnt my eggs. Sunny side up? "lol eat this scorched poo poo"

Also, God drat does my body hurt. I was walking to the post office to ship a few boxes to some goons, and then some dickweed who was power-walking knocked my cane out from underneath me and I hit the sidewalk. Scraped face, badly bruised knee, and because my legs are so weak I had to basically army crawl to the nearest bench to pull myself up and grab my phone and call my best friend for a ride home. My glasses got bent from the collision, too, so I need to hustle a ride to ShopKo Optical to get the bent frames fixed.

gently caress, I hurt.

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 9, 2023

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Pops Mgee posted:

I think you can make the exact same argument for T1 and T2.

T1 has a darker feel, but I think it's still very similar at its core to T2 (Sarah/John are the target, a single antagonist pursuing throughout, help from a futuristic badass). They lean more into the comedy and obviously had a much larger budget, but I don't feel like the two movies are *that* much different.

To be clear, I think all four of these movies are excellent (the scene in T2 where Sarah first sees the terminator in the mental hospital is one of my all time favorites), but I've just got a massive hardon for the original Alien.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Alien is such a good design. The right level of wrong looking without looking goofy or anything.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ozymandius1024 posted:

T1 has a darker feel, but I think it's still very similar at its core to T2 (Sarah/John are the target, a single antagonist pursuing throughout, help from a futuristic badass). They lean more into the comedy and obviously had a much larger budget, but I don't feel like the two movies are *that* much different.

To be clear, I think all four of these movies are excellent (the scene in T2 where Sarah first sees the terminator in the mental hospital is one of my all time favorites), but I've just got a massive hardon for the original Alien.

T2 is very much a remake of Terminator with a little inversion of expectations. (Arnold is the Reese substitute; he'll never stop trying to save Sarah and John, while Kyle would never stop trying to protect Sarah. A lot of the action sequences in T2 are intentional takes on stuff from its predecessor.)

Aliens is a great movie, too, but it's an action movie with horror elements, whereas Alien is a horror movie that has a few brief action bits.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Every time I watch The Terminator I marvel at how lean & efficient it is.

Then I look at the rest of James Cameron's filmography and go "what happened?!?"

I'd argue True Lies is the last lean movie Cameron made.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Tokyo Drift is the best Fast Furious, same as Rogue One is the best (Recent) Star War, I will die on this hill

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I stopped watching Fast & Furious movies after the 2nd one.

I will not be taking any questions at this time.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

swickles posted:

Octopuses and octopi are both accepted pluralizations. If you wanted to go back to the Greek root, it would technically be octopodes.

Dammit now I just Berensteined my brain into is it Hercules or Heracles??

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I stopped watching Fast & Furious movies after the 2nd one.

I will not be taking any questions at this time.

Tokyo Drift is just it’s own thing, a good own thing. It’s like Mario 2, some other thing they slapped a license on last second for money but still worked. There wouldn’t be a FF whatever number they’re on if Tokyo Drift wasn’t awesome.

I haven’t seen any FF movies since #3 and I also will not be taking any questions

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
First was best, five was second best, drift was 3rd. I haven’t seen any since the rock showed up so just a big ol DQ for them

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

https://youtu.be/pwSC4Yd7eio
I mean……..c’mon that’s awesome

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have seen all of them multiple times (only seen X once) I am happy to take any questions you might have.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I have seen all of them multiple times (only seen X once) I am happy to take any questions you might have.

How can anyone like any other FF but 3?

Never saw the first one but 2 was pretty over the top fun. I’m sure the rest after the Third (and best one) we’re fine

Hahaha reminded me of my uncle being all serious and jazzed about action movies from the 70/80s. The poor kids trying to understand all the Marvel, Star Wars, Pokémon, Zelda stuff.

Raised on a reboot

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 9, 2023

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

There's a Cracker Barrel in the neighboring Portland suburb Tigard. Not something I would've expected this far north.

Then again we're about to get a Jolibee, which I'm a lot more excited about.

There's a Jolibee and a Seafood City at Southcenter and it always turns in to a one two stop whenever I'm there. It's the best mall in the Seattle area if only because you can still get shanked in the parking lot so it hasn't fully sold out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a sexual elk posted:

How can anyone like any other FF but 3?

Five is loving amazeballs, and that chase scene with the safe was done entirely using practical effects for the safe except one very brief bit of CGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaHxGu5YeKM

Edit: Also "Family"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

I have seen X once and none of the others but I worked on X and am also happy to answer questions like is Vin fat in person now and had to have CGI on every shot of him in the film and did it delay other important VFX shots in the film

actually I don't think I need to answer that do I

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tulalip Tulips posted:

There's a Jolibee and a Seafood City at Southcenter and it always turns in to a one two stop whenever I'm there. It's the best mall in the Seattle area if only because you can still get shanked in the parking lot so it hasn't fully sold out.

I've been to that mall. That Jolibee is where I got a lot of my white friends to try Spaghetti Joy, tho the Chicken Joy seemed to be the big favorite.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kiimo posted:

I have seen X once and none of the others but I worked on X and am also happy to answer questions like is Vin fat in person now and had to have CGI on every shot of him in the film and did it delay other important VFX shots in the film

actually I don't think I need to answer that do I

I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and was a little surprised to find out someone else was standing in for Groot on set rather than Diesel, because I remember behind the scenes shots of the first one with Diesel on stilts to play Groot, I guess now I know why.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and was a little surprised to find out someone else was standing in for Groot on set rather than Diesel, because I remember behind the scenes shots of the first one with Diesel on stilts to play Groot, I guess now I know why.

He wanted to be there for the first one because it was after walker died and wanted to do a fun project.

I think I remember hearing that somewhere anyway.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

a sexual elk posted:

Dammit now I just Berensteined my brain into is it Hercules or Heracles??

Greek: Heracles. Because his name has Hera in it and she was pissed about that so she kept trying to kill him.
Roman: Hercules.

And Disney's Hercules gets that wrong and has him interacting with Hades instead of Pluto.

Yes I listen to a greek mythology podcast.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

My Mom's favorite restaurant to stop at when we were doing road trips between Chicago and the upper peninsula of Michigan (where her parents lived) was goddamn Cracker Barrel.

Every single goddamn time, they burnt my eggs. Sunny side up? "lol eat this scorched poo poo"

Also, God drat does my body hurt. I was walking to the post office to ship a few boxes to some goons, and then some dickweed who was power-walking knocked my cane out from underneath me and I hit the sidewalk. Scraped face, badly bruised knee, and because my legs are so weak I had to basically army crawl to the nearest bench to pull myself up and grab my phone and call my best friend for a ride home. My glasses got bent from the collision, too, so I need to hustle a ride to ShopKo Optical to get the bent frames fixed.

gently caress, I hurt.

drat, someone kicked out your cane and didn’t even bother to help you. That’s some high level rear end in a top hat poo poo. Sorry dude.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

First was best,

I struggled with it because it’s basically Point Break: Cars! but I still love it because it is fun as all hell.

I first saw it in a jampacked movie theater and people were going nuts.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tulalip Tulips posted:

The Tacoma Mall is getting a Jollibee soon too. That said, it's still a sad mall and if I'm doing ~serious mall shopping~ I'll just go to Southcenter.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I was today years old when I discovered there's a Jollibee in Houston. Hope it's as good as Nando's (different genres notwithstanding)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’ve been running since middle school and do my best to give space to other people or stop if it helps, but power walkers seem to just barrel through and don’t care who or what is in their way.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

searching for that just shows a Jollibee is "planned" for Tokyo as of 2019 or so, no clue if that'll ever happen.

which reminds me that for the first time since pre-pandemic, the In-n-Out one-day popup happened around these parts. Was there a huge line? Reader, you can decide

https://twitter.com/ninja_padrino/status/1666249668911833088

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Given the hype around them when I was growing up, before they came to AZ would I have stood in line for an hour or more to try one for the first time? Probably.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Quiet Feet posted:

Great start to a horror movie script.

Non-sequitar: Terminator 2 is on Netflix so I started watching that tonight. It still holds up really well. I think the CG in particular still works because while it looks unnatural, it's modeling an unnatural thing and so your brain doesn't go "hey that's not really a sheep/tree/buffalo/whatever."

It is without a doubt the best action movie of all time. A truly great and seminal film. Perfection.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

Given the hype around them when I was growing up, before they came to AZ would I have stood in line for an hour or more to try one for the first time? Probably.

I would never stand in one of those lines for fast food.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I went to Topgolf for the first time on Wednesday. Never hit a golf ball before. I ended up hitting 150 of them on Wednesday. 2 days later and I'm super sore.

I can see why people get addicted to golf. It's very interesting trying to figure out why the hell the ball does what it does based on your technique.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

I went to Topgolf for the first time on Wednesday. Never hit a golf ball before. I ended up hitting 150 of them on Wednesday. 2 days later and I'm super sore.

I can see why people get addicted to golf. It's very interesting trying to figure out why the hell the ball does what it does based on your technique.

They just opened one in Charleston, I need to go check it out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm a former navy officer, former lawyer, have a graduate business degree, and am working on a finance phd. I have never swung a golf club at a golf ball beyond mini golf as a kid.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Every time I watch The Terminator I marvel at how lean & efficient it is.

Then I look at the rest of James Cameron's filmography and go "what happened?!?"

I'd argue True Lies is the last lean movie Cameron made.

Yeah, Cameron just has too much power now. Who in Hollywood can tell him no anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm a former navy officer, former lawyer, have a graduate business degree, and am working on a finance phd. I have never swung a golf club at a golf ball beyond mini golf as a kid.

My father is a scratch golfer and I’m pretty sure his biggest regret is never getting me into golf.

I hate it. I hate it so bad.