Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I think they're declaring that telling transphobes to gently caress off is a core purview of the discord in question, and I have no problem with that.

I mean, fair. If I'm on a trans rights Discord, that makes perfect sense. But if I'm on a trad games Discord and I'm already a believer in trans rights, Pride, and dismantling oppressive police structures, then somebody just pinged me for no reason and wasted my attention.

Use Announcements. Use pins. Use server rules. Don't @ me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

"Please sir, it is customary to pay a bit of attention to the trans and destitute, many thousand are in want of common notice, sir."

"Are there no prisons? And the union workhouses? Are they still in operation?"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
if it's a big enough server it's also good for clearing people out

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The official FASA discord kept pinging me letting me know that they're taking care of drama that I never heard about nor cared about. If it's an official discord they shouldn't be giving everyone (or anyone?) the everyone command unless it's a message that interests everyone who follows the company/product.

If it's a private discord, then whatever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I once got reminded to vote in the UK elections on at least one Goon server.

They were certainly important elections, of course. I took it as fair since I'm sure all our UK siblings have to put up with American bullshit constantly.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Frivolous use of @everyone gets people to suppress @everyone on that server in the future. Which probably isn't ideal.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
getting mad at @everyone is performative. you're fine

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

nah it's a legit peeve some people have

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

if it's a big enough server it's also good for clearing people out

This was it. Overall the Discord does less than one everyone ping a month, maybe one every few months. (I’m erring on the side of caution since we did one in May for moderator elections.)

Also I should note I did the ping in a discussion channel so besides the chuds we also had a lot of funny queer convos with people feeling supported and realizing the server could be a good place for them. Win-win, imo.

But yes, people posting anime gifs angry about the red 1 number are legit too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean if you do one ping a month this is the one to do this month I suppose

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Is there a thread for Greg Stolze's games? I could've sworn there was, but I can't find it. Did I hallucinate it?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Runa posted:

nah it's a legit peeve some people have

it's just a dumb one to have

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

LaSquida posted:

Is there a thread for Greg Stolze's games? I could've sworn there was, but I can't find it. Did I hallucinate it?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3306874

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Thanks! No idea why I couldn't find this on Search.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Ominous Jazz posted:

it's just a dumb one to have

Like all aspects of decorum, some people care more about some than others.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Kind of hosed up that some folks are saying that being annoyed by pings is a reasonable reason to not try to weed out transphobes from a community.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I hate the honeypot i keep smelling honey

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Just put trans stuff in the actual community content itself. It's not hard to get bigots to out themselves without giving everyone a dinging noise on their phone.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Whomst the gently caress joins a Discord and doesn't immediately mute @everyone and @here?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
He who is ideologically pure does not fear the ping at midnight.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Terrible Opinions posted:

Just put trans stuff in the actual community content itself. It's not hard to get bigots to out themselves without giving everyone a dinging noise on their phone.

Yeah, the Discord server I'm most active in usually does pings on the few instances when they ban someone who somehow didn't get the picture coming in by just reading the drat rules.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUTe2ndjRew

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I don't want that to be real :(

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

I don't want that to be real :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCCRTq8yygs

It isn't :wink:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
For now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I could see someone selling powergaming advice, despite it being available easy for free.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
The 4e character builder was basically that except

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That thing was such an easy and amusing way to waste a few hours designing hyper-focused characters I would never use.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
It was a really neat tool especially since wvery dnd after 3rd really wants you to plan your character from 1st level to 30 or whatever and it makes a lot of sense that woc would see a tool beloved by fans that makes their game easier to play and shitcan it forever

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The key to success in the free market is to destroy all other alternatives so the lowest effort option is the only one available.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Ominous Jazz posted:

It was a really neat tool especially since wvery dnd after 3rd really wants you to plan your character from 1st level to 30 or whatever and it makes a lot of sense that woc would see a tool beloved by fans that makes their game easier to play and shitcan it forever

I've never really gotten that, the idea of "planning" my character. Sometimes I have a vague arc in mind for them, but usually that's in terms of story and personality, but even that usually gets derailed by things happening and interactions with other people. Actually making a super elaborate plan like that and sticking with it seems alien. Plus, what do you do when you get to the end? Congratulations, now you can explode everything, also the game is over and done with.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Kind of a weird question but I have two original Slann miniatures from the Citadel Miniatures line. Made in 1986 and old enough that the back of each blister has a lead warning. What could I get for these? I'm trying to offload some random stuff I have. These, Archeon on foot from Games Day 2004, some other stuff.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I note that nowhere do they promise that the wacky adventures that got your character up to 30th level did not occur in the piss wizard's dungeon.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I can sort of imagine someone really sad paying for Pathfinder Society leveling services. But I don’t think it’s ever happened.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
For sale. Pathfinder Character. Gently used.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Arivia posted:

But yes, people posting anime gifs angry about the red 1 number are legit too.

Interestingly enough, Sword World 2.5 specifically has a very similar concept, called "Fellows". Essentially, you take an existing character, distill it down to four options for it to do whenever, depending upon a 2d6 roll, and fluff it out. The character sheet normally looks something like this:

where a fellow sheet is much more simplified, and looks like this:

An important thing to notice is the lack of HP on the fellow sheet, and this is intentional. Basically, a fellow can't take damage, let alone anything that would damage them though to kill them. Kinda rude to kill off someone's character when they're not even using it, right? They just kinda dodge out of the way, or bring their shield up just in time, or whatever. Even negative effects, like poisons, curses, etc. don't affect fellows.

There's also little check boxes in the lower right corner, for experience and rewards, so the character's owner can choose whether or not the character gets any rewards for going out and adventuring as a fellow. Some might just want to get some extra experience, some might just want the items, some might want both. Obviously, this is much more effective in Japan, where the playerbase is larger and fellows can be shared much more often, but there's a decent amount of fellows on the unofficial discord server.

Once a fellow is taken out on an adventure and returns, the players taking the fellow ought to let the fellow's owner know what happened, so that way they can work it into the character's story, and maybe even remake an updated fellow later on down the road.

Not to say there aren't limitations, though.
First, fellows can't go out and adventure alone, there's gotta be at least one actual full PC (though you could totally do solo play with 1 PC and a few fellows).

Second, they don't use their own consumable items (potions and the like), but must be given them from the PC's own inventory.

Third, a fellow can't go out scouting alone, they're considered to be in the same area as a PC (so no using them for cheap, unkillable scouting).

Fourth, they can only really take actions on the sheet, for the most part. The GM can have them take very simple actions, such as hiding along with a PC, or following them through a maze, etc, but for the most part if they are to have any actual, mechanical effect on the game, they are limited by the actions to be on the sheet. (As an aside, if the action desired the PCs and the action rolled on the fellow sheet don't match, it's assumed that either the fellow can't perform the action, or has tried and failed, whichever would make sense given the context.)

Fifth, as the fellows are immune to damage, there's a chance that all of the PCs could die in combat. If that happens, the fellows basically just leave the PCs where they were, and bounce back to safety. If the scenario requires a report to be made to a client, for example, the fellow will do that, but they'll make their escape from the TPK as best they can, leaving the PCs behind.

Now, rules as written a fellow is essentially equivalent to a single PC, but there's definitely a few campaigns that have been translated that would likely need to have two fellows be the equivalent of a PC due to their difficulty. That same house rule is also recommended if you're going for solo play,

All in all, it's a very interesting system, and makes it easier for groups with fewer players be able to get together and play without having to worry about toning down encounters.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Honestly I just think the @everyone and @all features in Discord were a mistake. They have a very clear purpose: Tagging important announcements that pertain to everyone on the server. The problem is that way too many people abuse that because they're too lazy to set proper roles in their server or individually tag the people these announcements actually pertain to. It becomes a problem for people like me because I have multiple servers that I'm active in and try to use my notifications as a signal that a discussion needs my attention. While the time it takes to check a notification isn't particularly great in the grand scheme of things, when you're active on multiple servers with people who keep spamming the tagging system it quickly starts to become a chore.

That said, keep in mind this is a discussion entirely adjacent to the use-case that started this discussion as occasionally roach-bombing the transphobes and CHUDs out of a server is an important act of community maintenance.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

was there actual reason to believe there were secret homophobes in need of rooting out or was it more like a "everything's going well here but what if there are secret homophobes" kinda thing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

was there actual reason to believe there were secret homophobes in need of rooting out or was it more like a "everything's going well here but what if there are secret homophobes" kinda thing

It’s a big public server with north of 1000 people on at any time. There were definitely chuds around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I wholeheartedly support subjecting big public groups to the occasional rinse and spray to get chuds out of the cracks.