Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's very interesting, thank you for posting! I had seen this first hand when I worked adjacent to the manufacturing industry and watched everything go overseas and all the plant managers get new jobs in different industries and now America has great difficulty making things, but I did not know there was an actual term for that. Should have suspected their was. Anyway, thanks again for the info!

Laura Tingle wrote a whole essay on how it happened to the Australian public service (a conservative government scrapped huge chunks of it and replaced those chunks with consultants) which was my exposure to the term. You've undoubtedly seen it happen in particular places of work (I briefly worked in a bar that had such a high turnover that no one actually knew how to properly operate or clean the coffee machine anymore) and it can happen to entire industries as you've observed.

RBA Starblade posted:

Expendables 3 more or less peaks with the train intro and the whole joke about Snipes' character being in megajail for tax evasion

Then the movie keeps going with mma fighters and who cares about them

I like Expendables 1 and 2 more than I probably should but as a series it's always been less than what it really ought to be

The first one really only works thanks to Mickey Rourke. It's a by the numbers plot with a weak script and then Mickey Rourke delivers a really good growly, drunken monologue that somehow pulls the whole thing together and gives it weight that it has, in no way, earned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I heard a story that the monologue was all Rourke's doing, and he came to Stallone with all these ideas for his character and developing pathos and Sly was like "you get 90 seconds."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The only thing I remember from the Expendables is Terry Crews and his awesome shotgun.

I wondered why he wasn't back for this one and yikes:

quote:

Terry Crews, who had starred in all previous films, refused to appear in any new entries after claiming he was sexually assaulted by Stallone's agent, Adam Venit, alleging he was pressured by producer Avi Lerner to drop the case if he wanted to stay in the series.

This one should be a skip.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Halloween Jack posted:

1. How do they "track" expected opening weekend revenue?
It's based on ticket presales

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I heard a story that the monologue was all Rourke's doing, and he came to Stallone with all these ideas for his character and developing pathos and Sly was like "you get 90 seconds."

He was only available for 48 hours. We were in the middle of the Rourkessance and so he was filming Iron Man 2 at the same time, took some time off to show up and save the Expendables.

Codependent Poster posted:

The only thing I remember from the Expendables is Terry Crews and his awesome shotgun.

I wondered why he wasn't back for this one and yikes:

This one should be a skip.

Even by the time of Expendables 3, it was no longer a priority for him. He's only in the first 30 minutes and was busy with Brooklyn 99 the rest of the time.

But yeah, the harassment and assault was a loving horrible story. Crews ended up testifying in front of either congress or a committee about the incident and attempts to silence him. 50 Cent made fun of him for it because 50 Cent is an rear end in a top hat. He got his reward, though, a role in Expend4bles, which is a great price for your soul.

Even if the last one hadn't been poo poo and this one didn't look like poo poo there's already plenty of reasons to miss it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Just from sheer "star power" alone, the Expendable movies are a terrible disappointment. Nobody really gets to shine, it's all just flashes of badass bro dudes shooting boring bad guys. They were advertised as The Avengers of action movies but I doubt Iko Uwais will get much more to do here than he did in, like, Stuber.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I only watched the first and it was 80% Statham, because everyone else in the cast was ancient. This is not a criticism per se.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
gently caress I forgot he was in Stuber lol. Forgot most of that movie though

I didnt realize it was Stallone’s agent. I think I melded that incident and Brendan frasier’s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceOfFlames posted:

How the gently caress is this even possible? The CGI in that movie looks like utter GARBAGE. Is Hollywood just a massive embezzlement scam now? How can more and more money be spent on movies that keep looking worse and worse?

IIRC the Disney and MCU production pipelines are a nightmare of constantly demanding cuts and changes so late in the process there's no time to do any real polish. And even that doesn't help when the studio insists and doubles down on terrible design decisions.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

well why not posted:

I only watched the first and it was 80% Statham, because everyone else in the cast was ancient. This is not a criticism per se.

Oh, for me it absolutely is. Statham has just about the same kind of chemistry with Stallone he as with every other co-star in the half-dozen Statham vehicles that seem to come out every year. I get that the movie needs characters to focus on, to me it feels like watching a Statham movie featuring Stallone and also Jet Li and some other guys.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey what happened with the latest Guy Ritchie movie with Stratham? Jason is doing his thing but I found that it had a really weird feeling and didn’t finish it, it’s like it was done by a film student trying to imitate Guy Ritchie

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the Disney and MCU production pipelines are a nightmare of constantly demanding cuts and changes so late in the process there's no time to do any real polish. And even that doesn't help when the studio insists and doubles down on terrible design decisions.

I get that explains why it looks bad but the fact that it costs more and more is what baffles me. I guess it's like someone up thread said and the VFX sweatshop owners are just overcharging Disney, underpaying their employees and pocketing the difference.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceOfFlames posted:

I get that explains why it looks bad but the fact that it costs more and more is what baffles me. I guess it's like someone up thread said and the VFX sweatshop owners are just overcharging Disney, underpaying their employees and pocketing the difference.

I feel like this is also one of those situations where, like the US military procurement and intelligence services, there's no incentive for even basic competence when you're working for people who obviously don't care or even comprehend the quality of the result.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
We tried watching Expendables 1 for the first time a couple of years ago and Mickey Rourke's bit owns but we ended up not even finishing it. Just didn't click at all to me, are the others any good?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah it's very much a diminished returns movie

even the first it's like the awesome is disproportionate to how many cool guys™ they put in

they had Van Damme as a bad guy in the second and it was like

eh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is as good as it ever got
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XJUEW8ykPk

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Zero_Grade posted:

Looks like it's made $197m domestic / $140m international in two weeks vs a budget of $250m (lol), so I'm gonna go with "no".
You can't just look at production budget, unfortunately. All the numbers that I've seen indicate that the marketing wing for this movie went a little nuts and put the break even point somewhere near $800 million. It is not doing what Disney would have liked it to do yet but family and kids movies generally have longer legs than action adventure or other genres so we'll have to wait and see.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah it's very much a diminished returns movie

even the first it's like the awesome is disproportionate to how many cool guys™ they put in

they had Van Damme as a bad guy in the second and it was like

eh

I really like JCVD in the second one, his villain is named Villaine and it's a completely baffling performance. One of the Hemsworths is there and he dies in seconds flat and then JCVD says an insane thing about goats being the pet of the devil.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

all i remember is "vat zis iz about, iz ray-spect"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Hey what happened with the latest Guy Ritchie movie with Stratham? Jason is doing his thing but I found that it had a really weird feeling and didn’t finish it, it’s like it was done by a film student trying to imitate Guy Ritchie

It is a very strange movie. It was knocked about six ways from Sunday because of COVID and then actually delayed again because it was supposed to come out right as the war in Ukraine was starting up and the bad guys in it are Ukrainian, so Ritchie probably actually filmed this thing like four years ago.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Zero_Grade posted:

Looks like it's made $197m domestic / $140m international in two weeks vs a budget of $250m (lol), so I'm gonna go with "no".

Isn't international pretty negligible overall since every country has their own rules about the Box Office take and who gets how much of it?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

The first one really only works thanks to Mickey Rourke. It's a by the numbers plot with a weak script and then Mickey Rourke delivers a really good growly, drunken monologue that somehow pulls the whole thing together and gives it weight that it has, in no way, earned.

i watched the first Expendables for the first time recently and sometime during Mickey Rourke and Sylvester Stallone's mumble-off i realized "i have no idea what either of these guys are saying"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The thing with The Expendables movies is they look like poo poo. They are drab, boring looking films, which for me is a deal-breaker in the age of John Wick.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The thing with The Expendables movies is they look like poo poo. They are drab, boring looking films, which for me is a deal-breaker in the age of John Wick.

the other thing i noticed about The Expendables is all the action couldn't feel more like Stallone just handed it all off to his second unit and went "yeah just do whatever". it stands out because he did Rambo IV two years before and the action in that is really good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhlaBO-SwVE
This seems like it is kind of moving away from the original premise of the series where the draw was older action stars.

I'd be disappointed if someone didn't say "Yo Fiddy, check out that sweet-rear end ramp" at some point in the movie.

Codependent Poster posted:

Pretty sure that was the scene that made the AA-12 shotgun cool, because after that point it started to show up in games and on guntube a lot more frequently from what I can remember.

Pretty sure I only saw the first and second one. Or was it third that had Chuck Norris in it? Complete with referencing the memes.
And now I must apologize for making people remember those.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 9, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel like the AA12 got big from COD MW2, but maybe I'm wrong. After that it was Predators, and then Expendables.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like the AA12 got big from COD MW2, but maybe I'm wrong. After that it was Predators, and then Expendables.
It was also used in the second GTA4 DLC campaign in one memorable level

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Expendables 2 I remember only because I was at a mall using the wifi at one of the break areas with my laptop and another guy was there watching Expendables 2 on his laptop with no headphones so I absorbed a good chunk of the movie that way

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cooked Auto posted:

I'd be disappointed if someone didn't say "Yo Fiddy, check out that sweet-rear end ramp" at some point in the movie.

Pretty sure that was the scene that made the AA-12 shotgun cool, because after that point it started to show up in games and on guntube a lot more frequently from what I can remember.

Pretty sure I only saw the first and second one. Or was it third that had Chuck Norris in it? Complete with referencing the memes.
And now I must apologize for making people remember those.

Games have always liked automatic shotguns. In a recent games thread the Pancor Jackhammer got mentioned, a gun that never went beyond the prototype stage but we all knew from a number of games.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 9, 2023

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Re: the discussion about the quality of VFX

I’ve been a VFX artist for many years and there was a massive change in the industry that started roughly 10 years ago, mostly fuelled by Marvel and Disney’s demand for 2000+ VFX shots in each film but delivered cheaply.

Probably 75% of VFX in big budget films these days is done in sweatshops in India. Studios like MPC, Framestore, Double Negative (and now my old studio ILM) have enormous studios dotted around India that churn out an eye watering number of 3D assets, roto, matchmove, animation and comp.

The studios will take any graduate and have them open Nuke/Maya/Mari/Houdini and start VFXing away on the next Marvel or Disney shovelware. There’s little training and no time for easing them into a stressful production. There genuinely aren’t enough Indian graduates to satisfy demand for cheap VFX.

This is not to disrespect Indian VFX artists - juniors from Europe or the US would produce similar quality work. It’s more that a large chunk of work on every big budget film is created by rookies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah what we saw of 1 was noticeably like, joyless? Maybe that sums it up best, not that it should be lightheartede in tone but just the whole look and feel of the flick felt like it was almost looking bad on purpose, as a joke.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

It is a very strange movie. It was knocked about six ways from Sunday because of COVID and then actually delayed again because it was supposed to come out right as the war in Ukraine was starting up and the bad guys in it are Ukrainian, so Ritchie probably actually filmed this thing like four years ago.

just release it in Russia only. then adr the rest of it so the bad guys are speaking Russian and the referred to by English speakers as Russian, and release it worldwide six months later. bing bang boom

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like this is also one of those situations where, like the US military procurement and intelligence services, there's no incentive for even basic competence when you're working for people who obviously don't care or even comprehend the quality of the result.

even if they wanted to be competent and get it right, having to redo it and change it constantly is going to prevent that. The main tool to get CGI right seems to be time, like a lot of other art forms. You polish, you communicate with the other members of the team and polish some more. It's the root of every 'it'll look better in the finished film' discussion about trailers. When it's been true (one of the Transformers movies, for instance) it wasn't a massive difference. It was a better integrated smoke effect, an improved patina of dirt on the robot. It's the little things, fine tuning. A bunch of stuff that you don't really notice when it's there but you sure as poo poo miss when it isn't.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah what we saw of 1 was noticeably like, joyless? Maybe that sums it up best, not that it should be lightheartede in tone but just the whole look and feel of the flick felt like it was almost looking bad on purpose, as a joke.

Nah, that's reasonable. Mickey Rourke's monologue (which is genuinely good and a great summation of what Mickey Rourke can do that no one else can) is memorable at least partially because it's one of the only scenes with a clear tone that it actually nails. Every other scene is just kind of flat. You recognise that they're trying to make the villains menacing, or trying to have a bit of funny banter between the team, but it's just bad. So much of the dialogue feels like placeholder dialogue, or what a censor might come up with for the film's TV edit.

Rollie Fingers posted:

Re: the discussion about the quality of VFX.

This was interesting, thanks very much. I feel like there's quite a few CGI artist goons. Maybe even enough for a CGI industry thread because there definitely is a noticeable trend of CGI getting worse.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Games have always liked automatic shotguns. In a recent games thread the Pancor Jackhammer got mentioned, a gun that never went beyond the prototype stage but we all knew from a number of games.

Ah yeah, I'm well aware about that one.

But I guess I must've gotten the timeline scrambled in that case. v:v:v

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Leprechaun is back for yet another reboot, no Warwick Davis so no point

quote:

Leprechaun, the longest-running franchise in Lionsgate history, will get a fresh start as the studio reimagines the horror title for a new generation of moviegoers.

Felipe Vargas, helmer of the award-wining short film Milk Teeth, will direct the new feature project that has a script by Mike Van Waes, who worked on the live-action Lilo & Stitch movie that is now in production.

Roy Lee, one of the Hollywood’s horror lynchpins whose credits include Barbarian and the It movies, will produce via his banner Vertigo Entertainment. The company’s Miri Yoon will also produce.

Davis played the wily leprechaun in six films but skipped the last two, 2014’s Leprechaun: Origins and 2018’s Leprechaun Returns. Davis is not expected to reprise the role for the new iteration.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/leprechaun-new-movie-in-the-works-1235510562/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wrong Leprechaun Returns is incredible.

Warwick won’t come back because he thinks having kids puts him above horror movies

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Wrong Leprechaun Returns is incredible.

I would watch a movie called Wrong Leprechaun Returns about him having an evil more evil twin.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’d watch one where the leprechaun found a group of teens and taught them the importance of friendship and community service

Then they get killed in the next one by the teal leprechaun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Wasn't there a Leprechaun in da' Hood too, or did I just imagine that? I kind of hope I imagined that.