Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

neat

https://twitter.com/whatboy_games/status/1666910779658862593

Micro 4x from the guys who did Trials of Fire

I like this weird little subgenre, not a lot of games that try to compress the experience, curious if they can nail it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Slipways is a puzzle game. And I've never felt as much stress from a puzzle game either, though I'd definitely classify it as fun.

Yeah, it's not a 4X game at all.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Paradox also announced a Star Trek 4x Star Trek: Infinite. No gameplay, but some of the trailer pics look very much like Stellaris. It's not developed by Paradox proper, but by one of their studios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3cM3Rsh7lQ

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Mokotow posted:

Paradox also announced a Star Trek 4x Star Trek: Infinite. No gameplay, but some of the trailer pics look very much like Stellaris. It's not developed by Paradox proper, but by one of their studios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3cM3Rsh7lQ

I've never wanted to know more about a game in my life

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

That does look awfully Stellaris-like, which is a good thing. Is the studio connected at all with the ST mod guys?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

More to be revealed on Picard Day (June 16th was it?) and they only confirmed it’s not a mobile game

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Orange Devil posted:

Slipways is a puzzle game. And I've never felt as much stress from a puzzle game either, though I'd definitely classify it as fun.

It's a puzzle game designed around you constantly having to make irreversible decisions based on incomplete information, it's good but yeah engineered to stress you out

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's a puzzle game designed around you constantly having to make irreversible decisions based on incomplete information, it's good but yeah engineered to stress you out

Sounds like my day job

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Star Trek Infinite website and trailer are up.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/our-games/star-trek-infinite

It’s literally a Stellaris mod, which doesn’t need to be a bad thing. Without having to develop a game engine, they might have had time to modify Stellaris enough to be a good basis for a Trek game. Then again, I don’t know how far you can stretch that engine. Also, there already us a popular ST mod for Stellaris, right?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Mokotow posted:

It’s literally a Stellaris mod, which doesn’t need to be a bad thing. Without having to develop a game engine, they might have had time to modify Stellaris enough to be a good basis for a Trek game. Then again, I don’t know how far you can stretch that engine. Also, there already us a popular ST mod for Stellaris, right?

Yup. There are two, actually, one more aimed at normal Stellaris gameplay and one more nerdy/with more weird mechanics. Both of them are very good, which makes this a hard uphill climb. Less of an uphill climb if one or both mods get DMCA'd right before it comes out, but we'll see what happens.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Imo theres a lot of people who just want a relatively simple star trek strategy game that feels polished and "nice", and dont wanna gently caress around with mods.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

Imo theres a lot of people who just want a relatively simple star trek strategy game that feels polished and "nice", and dont wanna gently caress around with mods.

And I think I speak on behalf of all of them when I say "also Neelix should be a playable leader"

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Weird way to spell Quark.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mokotow posted:

Well.. until they get shut down because of this game.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

Well.. until they get shut down because of this game.

probably didnt help when the modder through a huge tantrum and leaked early screenshots of the game that they showed him as a courtesy

i really doubt paradox or paramount kills the star trek mods

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 17, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
why does everyone say "i don't want to gently caress around with mods" like they're this incredibly onerous thing to get running when the vast majority of modding experiences ITYOOL 2023 involve checking a box on steam workshop

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Part of the loving about with mods is that for highly edited ones often a lot of their gameplay systems are barely documented so you have to go dig through discussions to figure out how things work and tool tips aren't always updated. If they do actually polish up the commercial release the user experience will be smoother.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Impermanent posted:

why does everyone say "i don't want to gently caress around with mods" like they're this incredibly onerous thing to get running when the vast majority of modding experiences ITYOOL 2023 involve checking a box on steam workshop

most people don't even actually play the games they bought on steam or elsewhere for more than like a couple hours, you think theyre gonna gently caress around with mods ?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Impermanent posted:

stellaris still makes you gently caress around with load orders and the rules for what to load when are really obtuse. that does apply more to trying to create a "vanilla+" experience than to the star trek mod tho - that one is basically check box on steam workshop and go

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Generally speaking if you're just looking to use a single mod it's pretty easy, it's when you want to use more than one that things start to get a bit hairy.

This applies to most moddable games, actually.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Is there an ultra nerd gladius mod that adds all the tabletop units? I could have sworn there was at some point

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Stellaris Nexus's demo is out with the current NextFest event.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1983990/Stellaris_Nexus/

It's a simultaneous turn 4X. The currently available game mode is basically a VP game mode where you can pursue a variety of strategy to get VP, including holding the central VP location, signing as many diplo pact with other factions as you can, build monuments, or pursue the changing council goals of each session. The gimmick of the game is kind of an order system where the command you can give depends on the edict you draw (or you may draw the politic edict, which let you trade resources to pick edict). Factions are unique with different faction leader having different skill tree and I am guessing different distribution of the cards (agenda of the leader), as well as perks and sometimes unique faction mechanic/resources.

Combat wise there's sort of a rock-paper-scissor system of raider (fast ship that can double move) counters range (carriers that can strike the neighboring system without exposing itself) counters capital (brick of firepower and armor). Within each archetypes there's additional variation you can unlock with technology (for example the basic raiders are destroyers, but with research you can get cloaked specter ships). Your ship can further be augmented with fleet role, which gives them additional ability (for example, survey fleet allows you to explore with your fleet for free when they are on top of an anomaly.

Research is kind of different in that instead of getting research point that you accumulate to unlock things, you get research by simply getting the research edict, but the amount of tech you can have depends on your research building.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 19, 2023

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Impermanent posted:

Have you, uh, looked at the mods that come up if you just browse the steam workshop without doing some real turbonerd poo poo like signing up for a game forum to get good recommendations

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Have you, uh, looked at the mods that come up if you just browse the steam workshop without doing some real turbonerd poo poo like signing up for a game forum to get good recommendations

As someone who uses a poo poo load of mods across a variety of games.

Most subscribed, highest rated, will get you like 95% of the best mods for most games in the first couple of pages, and for like 3% of the remainder, you can search for what you want. The remaining 2% are hidden gems that yeah you hear from word of mouth.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Impermanent posted:

“This simple mod does two things:

1. Updates the inventory system to work faster
2. Color codes all status effects

bonus: all quests are modified to include new original voice acting (credit: DaGameRoach and Player1RaceWar), and a new free mandatory quest is added - Journey to the Lair of Underpants Sniffing

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Best Friends posted:

“This simple mod does two things:

1. Updates the inventory system to work faster
2. Color codes all status effects

bonus: all quests are modified to include new original voice acting (credit: DaGameRoach and Player1RaceWar), and a new free mandatory quest is added - Journey to the Lair of Underpants Sniffing

'Diplomacy Tweaks' for Total War Shogun 2 gives Yari Samurai the yari wall ability, I will die mad about it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

To be fair I were offering free labor to the world I would also shove some curious design decisions down my users’ throats. Nothing is truly free :clint:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Which is why I don't want to gently caress around with mods.

But seriously it seems they left the stellaris tech system in so no thanks anyway.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

pedro0930 posted:

Stellaris Nexus's demo is out with the current NextFest event.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1983990/Stellaris_Nexus/

It's a simultaneous turn 4X. The currently available game mode is basically a VP game mode where you can pursue a variety of strategy to get VP, including holding the central VP location, signing as many diplo pact with other factions as you can, build monuments, or pursue the changing council goals of each session. The gimmick of the game is kind of an order system where the command you can give depends on the edict you draw (or you may draw the politic edict, which let you trade resources to pick edict). Factions are unique with different faction leader having different skill tree and I am guessing different distribution of the cards (agenda of the leader), as well as perks and sometimes unique faction mechanic/resources.

Combat wise there's sort of a rock-paper-scissor system of raider (fast ship that can double move) counters range (carriers that can strike the neighboring system without exposing itself) counters capital (brick of firepower and armor). Within each archetypes there's additional variation you can unlock with technology (for example the basic raiders are destroyers, but with research you can get cloaked specter ships). Your ship can further be augmented with fleet role, which gives them additional ability (for example, survey fleet allows you to explore with your fleet for free when they are on top of an anomaly.

Research is kind of different in that instead of getting research point that you accumulate to unlock things, you get research by simply getting the research edict, but the amount of tech you can have depends on your research building.

Ooh this sounds pretty promising. Stellaris sans boring bits with notes of Twilight Imperium? And with an actual role for carriers?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It has nothing to do with Stellaris in mechanics; the name is pure marketing. It feels like a cross between Eclipse and Twilight Imperium, with perhaps a dash of Solium Infernum on the side. Not a bad place for a game to be, really, but don't go in expecting Stellaris.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
A good cross between Eclipe and Twilight Imperium would just be Eclipse.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When I think "Twilight Imperium" I think completely opposite of "convenient byte-sized 1 hour matches".

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I have unironically played TI3 as a filler game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

When I think "Twilight Imperium" I think completely opposite of "convenient byte-sized 1 hour matches".
Yes but imagine one that was.

I'm probably going to skip this but Against the Storm has really made me appreciate the genre of "an established genre but just the fun bit at the start"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It does feel Twilight Imperium-y.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I does not feel anything like Stellaris. Like, at all. Is the only Stellaris references the UNE and maybe some ship types? Nothing else jumped out to me after a playthrough.

And yeah, it's very much a sanded down, digital Twilight Imperium.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If there's one thing that screams "stellaris" to me it's rich, consistent lore.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm kinda good with that- bite-sized 4x games are appealing to me at the moment.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really don't see any issues with a spin-off game using the name. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
It's more that the only thing the spin-off and Stellaris itself have in common is that they're 4x games set in space. Well, that and they advertise it as being set "in the rich universe of Stellaris".

I was curious if I'd overlooked anything else that might tie it to Stellaris, but it seems not.

Honestly, it's more hilarious to me that this game is a spin-off of Stellaris, while the Stellaris Star Trek mod isn't.