Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I want a Tacoma badly. Sadly car prices have skyrocketed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

New car msrp have gone up, but dealership lots are pretty full depending on manufacturer so discounts exist. I looked at used 4runner/tacoma very recently but it's hard to believe those prices can hold up.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

phosdex posted:

New car msrp have gone up, but dealership lots are pretty full depending on manufacturer so discounts exist. I looked at used 4runner/tacoma very recently but it's hard to believe those prices can hold up.

Stellantis and GM lots are super full, Toyota still doesn't have any cars.

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1661027716903186432?s=20

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Palisade and Telluride are a lot more similar than Edge and Explorer :wtc:

They are both midsized classed suvs from ford. Your nuts if you don’t think that if the edge didn’t exist the bulk of those customers would go for the explorer.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

Stellantis and GM lots are super full, Toyota still doesn't have any cars.

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1661027716903186432?s=20

The MSRP on a non-V8 Ghibli is $93k? Why is the discount only $10k and not like $35k lol

I don't understand the Tacoma, it's not like a Z06 or something that's production constrained, it's consistently the best selling midsize pickup on the market and outsells all its competitors, but somehow there are still people paying more for a used one than a new one? Who are these people?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Presumably it's people who want a Tacoma/4Runner RIGHT NOW?

Although I don't know how difficult it is to put an order in for a 4Runner/Tacoma and get one at MSRP.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The MSRP on a non-V8 Ghibli is $93k? Why is the discount only $10k and not like $35k lol

I don't understand the Tacoma, it's not like a Z06 or something that's production constrained, it's consistently the best selling midsize pickup on the market and outsells all its competitors, but somehow there are still people paying more for a used one than a new one? Who are these people?

I like the way it looks

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Residency Evil posted:

Presumably it's people who want a Tacoma/4Runner RIGHT NOW?

Although I don't know how difficult it is to put an order in for a 4Runner/Tacoma and get one at MSRP.
Iirc Toyota doesn't do factory orders. They send vehicles to dealers based on their own formulas and you can buy or not.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ilkhan posted:

Iirc Toyota doesn't do factory orders. They send vehicles to dealers based on their own formulas and you can buy or not.

That's what I've heard as well, but not sure what that means in practice (ie, can you get a Toyota at MSRP by waiting on a list?).

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I think you could buy a new Tacoma at MSRP today if you wanted, the 2023's do not seem that hard to find, there are hundreds in stock in my area. I'm guessing 2024 will be constrained/marked up and a poo poo show for 1-2 years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

That's what I've heard as well, but not sure what that means in practice (ie, can you get a Toyota at MSRP by waiting on a list?).

Dealers are telling people stuff like this:

Some unethical Toyota dealers are taking deposits from people for 6+ years worth of RAV4 Prime allocations, others just say "no orders". Nerds looking for a deal on new cars shop nationally and do either a fly and drive, or ship a new car from Minnesota to wherever the buyer is. Realistically a lot of these can be purchased with a small dealer markup, but if you want to pay literally MSRP and not more you'll be waiting a long time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have to admit the new bronos also look really nice. They nailed the Jeep aesthetic without being a jeep

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I wanted a new sienna too. RIP.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Twerk from Home posted:

Dealers are telling people stuff like this:

Some unethical Toyota dealers are taking deposits from people for 6+ years worth of RAV4 Prime allocations, others just say "no orders". Nerds looking for a deal on new cars shop nationally and do either a fly and drive, or ship a new car from Minnesota to wherever the buyer is. Realistically a lot of these can be purchased with a small dealer markup, but if you want to pay literally MSRP and not more you'll be waiting a long time.

I see these things (and insane markups in California) and wonder how much of a pain it would really be to find something like a 4Runner (or even a RAV4 Prime) if I was willing to travel, but didn't want to pay MSRP.

Like, we're talking about Toyotas, not Porsche Cayman GT4RSes :argh:.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

sanchez posted:

I think you could buy a new Tacoma at MSRP today if you wanted, the 2023's do not seem that hard to find, there are hundreds in stock in my area. I'm guessing 2024 will be constrained/marked up and a poo poo show for 1-2 years.

Are they actually in stock, or is the website showing ones in the build/transit stage?

One of my local Toyota dealers has 21 cars on the lot total across all models (according to their website). They do fucky things like add a 2800 dollar protection package to their cars. There's some other dealers in the suburbs or outside of town that are less of a problem.

I could probably get a lower trim Tacoma at MSRP around here if I hunted one down. Like an SR or SR5. I wouldn't be confident on getting a TRD trimmed model at MSRP easily.

They can get away with it though due to demand. My preferred Ford dealer has over 500 cars on the lot right now. The closest Toyota dealer has the aforementioned 21 cars. Supply and demand I guess.

Residency Evil posted:

I see these things (and insane markups in California) and wonder how much of a pain it would really be to find something like a 4Runner (or even a RAV4 Prime) if I was willing to travel, but didn't want to pay MSRP.

4Runners are easy to find in my area for MSRP. There's like 90 of them within 50 miles of me.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 9, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Here's the spreadsheets with VIN and dealer info about every RAV4 Prime that's planned to be produced and shipped to the US:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ORPV0DjsdmcbqA8GM9U9r2tKrO-8pTa7b67OsGPH7mc/edit#gid=0
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LFsmcb3EQSANT50VeO_wX0pPRXI-pxTt0PGjZ6Ke4i8/edit#gid=0

There's a Toyota / Chevy dealer on the southern Arkansas border with Louisiana that has one coming in that you could probably get.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Going back to this, I’ve just saw it live. If the base car wasn’t as cool looking as it is, it would have made a far more lasting impression. Cadillac had also a Lyriq in their stand, I don’t know what the gently caress possess people to consider it standard size, it’s bigger than a loving van.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's still only one new BRZ for sale within 50 miles of me right now and I'm kinda doubting it exists since there's just a stock art photo of it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Are they actually in stock, or is the website showing ones in the build/transit stage?

They are in stock, based on my general theory that if they have bothered to take real/unique photos, the car exists and is on their lot and not spoken for. You're right about the trims though, no real photos of TRD off road spec, mostly SR5 and TRD Sport.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh hey, this thread exists

Residency Evil posted:

Hello, my wife’s car 5 years from now or so.

This thing looks awesome.

I don't know much about the GX line but I can definitely see this as my wife's new car. Apparently the base model is 60k? How bad does a 2023 base model GX look

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Hadlock posted:

I don't know much about the GX line but I can definitely see this as my wife's new car. Apparently the base model is 60k? How bad does a 2023 base model GX look

The last gen's base model is 60k, the new one will start at a higher price.

Hopefully the previous gen's price will also go down because my dad is interested in a GX but he took a look at this new one and immediately said "I don't like it".

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

4Runners are easy to find in my area for MSRP. There's like 90 of them within 50 miles of me.

Thanks. That's helpful to know versus a spreadsheet that says "12-18 months."

Twerk from Home posted:

Here's the spreadsheets with VIN and dealer info about every RAV4 Prime that's planned to be produced and shipped to the US:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ORPV0DjsdmcbqA8GM9U9r2tKrO-8pTa7b67OsGPH7mc/edit#gid=0
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LFsmcb3EQSANT50VeO_wX0pPRXI-pxTt0PGjZ6Ke4i8/edit#gid=0

There's a Toyota / Chevy dealer on the southern Arkansas border with Louisiana that has one coming in that you could probably get.

:stare:

Hadlock posted:

Honestly it looks pretty good. My wife's car isn't due for replacement for another 3-4 years though so we're not in a rush.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The current Lexus GX is both a Land Cruiser and the last ~dumb~ old V8 Toyota you can buy in the USA. For those two reasons I don't see them coming down in price at all because the fact that it's ancient is exactly what makes it so appealing to a certain group of people, on top of it being "Land Cruiser", perhaps the most Toyota tax of all Toyotas.

There are a lot out there though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KakerMix posted:

The current Lexus GX is both a Land Cruiser and the last ~dumb~ old V8 Toyota you can buy in the USA. For those two reasons I don't see them coming down in price at all because the fact that it's ancient is exactly what makes it so appealing to a certain group of people, on top of it being "Land Cruiser", perhaps the most Toyota tax of all Toyotas.

There are a lot out there though.

The new GX is the new Prado though (albeit without the dumb V8).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Residency Evil posted:

The new GX is the new Prado though (albeit without the dumb V8).

Yeah I know, but the dumb old non-turbo V8 is an asset to the old model preventing it's price from dropping is what I mean. Right now there are a bunch of people that absolutely do not trust the new all turbo all the time V6s Toyota has and instead want the old never breaks stuff from yesterday.
Maybe Toyota makes a turbo V6 that lasts forever but as of right now it's an unknown and with how goddamned expensive things are people hedge their bets on what they know.

The current GXs won't go down in price is my argument. They will stay expensive because they aren't the new ones. Especially since 17 mpg isn't a compelling reasons to give up that reliable V8 for a lot of those same people, me included.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks. That's helpful to know versus a spreadsheet that says "12-18 months."

That spreadsheet is at least 12 months old iirc. I wouldn’t take it seriously anymore.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022
I tried to get on a waitlist for a rav4 prime and they said “the waitlist is longer than this generation of rav4”

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BuckyDoneGun posted:

but on the other end, do buyers spec up a Ranger only to think, gently caress it, spend a bit more and just get an F150 and the extra capability that comes with it?

Pretty much that. An F-150 comparatively costs pennies more than a Ranger, and its just so much more truck in every way - features, comfort, power, towing, bed size, etc. IMO people who are into small/midsize trucks are buying Tacomas or Frontiers

:lol: I bet dealerships try to sell a 4th gen TRD PRO for 100k

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Scrungus posted:

I tried to get on a waitlist for a rav4 prime and they said “the waitlist is longer than this generation of rav4”

You know how it is, they're only intending to sell those to someone with a garage full of Toyotas at home already. If you want to get a top end Toyota you gotta buy and lease some entry or mid level ones, be active in your local Toyota club, etc.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sanchez posted:

17mpg lol. Going to need a lot of jerry cans for OvErLaNdInG activities in this thing. Diesel has been dead in the US for a while but it might have been helpful here. I like it a lot otherwise.

Kinda surprised there's not a hybrid version at this point. You can get a Taco hybrid now, and I'm assuming the 4Runner will be next and it's all the same platform so why the hell not? Maybe they're waiting until after the first model year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Twerk from Home posted:

You know how it is, they're only intending to sell those to someone with a garage full of Toyotas at home already. If you want to get a top end Toyota you gotta buy and lease some entry or mid level ones, be active in your local Toyota club, etc.

Maybe buying something for your wife will help get your name higher up on our list for RAV4 Primes?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Kinda surprised there's not a hybrid version at this point. You can get a Taco hybrid now, and I'm assuming the 4Runner will be next and it's all the same platform so why the hell not? Maybe they're waiting until after the first model year.

The Car and Driver article mentioned that the hybrid version is coming later.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Who the gently caress plays ferrrari/porsche games with toyota? Lmbo, gently caress that noise

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

The Car and Driver article mentioned that the hybrid version is coming later.

Ooooh nice, this might be in the cards then for the next commuter. My wife misses owning a Lexus after we got a Avalon hybrid lol.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

no lube so what posted:

Who the gently caress plays ferrrari/porsche games with toyota? Lmbo, gently caress that noise

:thejoke:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
I’m hella smart

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I went to a couple Honda dealers to see if I could buy a new HRV. They said I could buy one now, it’ll come in 8 months, and by then the price will go up by an unspecified amount and I’ll have to pay the difference too. I said nah.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

a primate posted:

I went to a couple Honda dealers to see if I could buy a new HRV. They said I could buy one now, it’ll come in 8 months, and by then the price will go up by an unspecified amount and I’ll have to pay the difference too. I said nah.

consider that those dealers did you a favor by preventing you from buying a HR-V

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah the HRV is probably the worst car in their entire lineup

Get a Civic Sport instead. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

The funny thing is, it seemed fine except for this dumb plastic spot that stuck out from the centre console and was right where I would usually put my knee. It was a strange dealbreaker.

I ended up buying a Qashqai, sorry to disappoint.

E: why is it their worst vehicle?

a primate fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 12, 2023