Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Hey now, British universities are the best in the world, and we're only going to get better. By which I mean more stuff like this:
https://www.thejc.com/news/news/iran's-'suicide-drones'-are-being-developed-at-british-universities-3lUpJ4vPCpCIqRaYwvkRR0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
First heat alert system email came through.

Amber: Significant impacts are probable across the health and social care sector due to the high temperatures, including: observed increase in mortality across the population likely, particularly in the 65+ age group or those with health conditions, but impacts may also be seen in younger age groups; increased demand for remote health care services likely; internal temperatures in care settings (hospitals and care homes) may exceed recommended threshold for clinical risk assessment; impact on ability of services to be delivered due to heat effects on workforce possible and many indoor environments likely to be overheating, risk to vulnerable people living independently in community as well as in care settings; medicines management issues; staffing issues due to external factors (e.g. transport); cross system demand for temporary AC capacity exceeded possible and other sectors starting to be observe impacts (e.g. travel delays).

Yellow: Minor impacts are probable across the health and social care sector, including: increased use of healthcare services by the vulnerable population; increase in risk of mortality amongst vulnerable individuals and increased potential for indoor environments to become very warm.

White: Scotland and Wales won't let us look at their thermometers :( Assume the whole area is SMALL BOTES :mad:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SHOCK as Labour say they might not actually spend £28B per year on the Climate Investment Pledge

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1667070767828291584

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Having a planet to live on is just too expensive, sorry.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

First heat alert system email came through.

Why is London less affected? Isn't that the opposite of the urban heat island effect? Might be missing something v obvious

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
do neither linger nor tarry in the face of ongoing nuclear reactions imo

also remember the second part to the hydration puzzle that people neglect which is you gotta piss more often too, extra water won't do you any good if all it's doing is making your back teeth float

Failed Imagineer posted:

Why is London less affected? Isn't that the opposite of the urban heat island effect? Might be missing something v obvious

It's a heat trap but it hasn't been heated up much yet- need some consistent heat to manage that, and this year has been fairly tame so far

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

That is clearly orange.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sadiq Khan sold off London’s share of the warm weather

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you look closely, London occupies a smaller area in the map than the other regions so it's getting less total sunlight, reducing its thermal potential

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I assumed that it's going to be just as hot in London but because of better infrastructure there's less overall risk.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Umbra Dubium posted:

I assumed that it's going to be just as hot in London but because of better infrastructure there's less overall risk.

What infrastructure? :confused:

I mean sure there's like, roads, and the tube is pretty nice, and there's like... electricity and heating and internet? But how do those help against heat

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

God, hating trans people so much you go celibate, that's grim

Being fair so did glinner, just not voluntarily.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Umbra Dubium posted:

I wondered if age of the population might have something to do with it - London trends younger than the surrounding areas I think.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

To be honest that's much more interesting than another remainer vs leaver debate.

Leavers fascinate me and actually makes me intrigued to watch this. It's like a very pink nature program

i was going to agree but then i realised that the whole country has been “brexit leaver special”
and they’ve still not put forward any concrete ideas, so it’s safe to assume there will never be a conclusion on the brexiteer brexit

at this point remainers are more interesting because what are they thinking now labour are now pro hard brexit and what middle road is even possible at this point? undo brexit is obviously what they want but how?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

jaete posted:

I mean sure there's like, roads, and the tube is pretty nice, and there's like... electricity and heating and internet? But how do those help against heat

London has some of the best ambulance response times in the country. You are far more in danger collapsing of heat exhaustion in the middle of the countryside than you are in London.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jaete posted:

Big umbrellas

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
London has Boris' water cannons to cool people off.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bambos Charalambous suspended, presumably for sex-pestery

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Bambos Charalambous suspended, presumably for sex-pestery

Not been the same without Bercow announcing the name

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

Boris' water cannon

Horny for Tory is prohibited

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You're thinking of his custard cannon.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Microplastics posted:

Sounds like he needs to see a doctor then.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

I usually am, yeah

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1667153421382590464

Any idea what this is about?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Haven't there been sexwrong allegations floating around about some prominent labour figure for a while?

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Committing horrendous acts and staying in post as it might all blow over is very inspiring.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Doing my best pervert face for the papers so that everyone knows that I'm cooperating fully.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Haven't there been sexwrong allegations floating around about some prominent labour figure for a while?

Just a few days ago a Labour MP basically said as much without naming names.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/labo...ssault-12895013

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Charlotte Nichols has been talking about someone this week. Labour Friends of Sexual Harassment were livid because of her comments.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Is there any streaming service that has Bottom on it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Amazon has it for :10bux: a series, but other than that it's :filez: I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking at the background I think that might be his official parliamentary portrait.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why the stiff upper lip was invented. So you can look more like "I have just been informed what a 'massive nonce' is by my advisors, and I can speak plainly and say that I do not approve" rather than looking like you've been caught peering into a school window.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

That's his sexy pout.
Out of my way, ladies, I saw him first - ahem.

It's ok though, he never watched Kes or Oh Daniel Blake so he'll be back, probably with promotion, after the recess.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Clarence posted:

Is there any streaming service that has Bottom on it?

I have a few TV series that are permanently on my hard drive so I can watch them at any time.
All the Star Trek series from the 90s.
All Star Gate series.
All MST3K movies.
Some Reeves and Mortimer series.
And Bottom.

Bottom gets watched probably the most, great show.
RIP Rik died 9 years ago today.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/BBCBweaking/status/1667183110679666689?t=dh6ZlmYjntdItEo1TeSoSw&s=09

gently caress off oval office

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Immediate effect has raised my eyebrows. Is there a story about to break?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Hilarious move. She's only standing down because she was removed from the peerages list and wants to damage Sunak on her way out.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

I'm seeing suggestions that she's having a strop over being dumped off of Johnson's 'honours' list (along with Alok Sharma and his own dad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would have to assume that's the reason.