Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

But I keep burning through and couldn't get good fusion, so I poured on giant globs of metal every time it cooled to make sure that it's a strong weld

The more filler, the better, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

The more filler, the better, right?

Take a play from my dads NASA soldering training: The bigger the glob the better the job :v:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
*in Xzibit voice

"you dawg we heard you like welds so we put welds on your welds so you can weld more welds on your welds"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tuesday Weld.

Also the other six days of the week, that must have taken forever.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

Check your screen it's a 400, the 900 is over a decade newer.

You are correct. This is what I get for trusting my memory.

Cacafuego posted:

Same when I worked at toys r us and someone bought one of the big play sets that couldn’t fit in anything, so they took it out of the boxes and had to attach it anywhere they could. “Here’s some string, good luck!”

What's up, TRU buddy?
I helped a lady put a swingset (in box) in her Fox Mustang. This was actually possible, because it was a convertible. Fit in the back seat with the passenger seat forward, resting on the folded top!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It works by the same principle as 10-yo me fixing something with tape

1. single strip of tape across tear
2. cross-pieces of tape across each end of the first strip to keep it from lifting off
3. cross-pieces of tape across each end of the previous two strips to keep them from lifting off
4. etc

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Data Graham posted:

2. cross-pieces of tape across each end of the first strip to keep it from lifting off
3. cross-pieces of tape across each end of the previous two strips to keep them from lifting off
4. etc

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Data Graham posted:

4. etc

I have never, ever done anything like that. How dare you.
...maybe one more strip.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The following is posted purely as terrible car stuff, no political statement is implied:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1666935969562628096

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its still got some tread left.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sidebiters are still good :banjo:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Plus, less tread means less friction means less rolling resistance means less fuel consumption means more range. Bing bong so simple :)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Just put in some more negative camber, problem solved.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
lmao I've never noticed this as I don't have a VW but apparently they now have ugly plastic caps for wheel bolts

https://www.theautopian.com/these-plastic-caps-vw-put-on-wheel-bolts-are-stupid-and-confusing/

This might be the dumbest and most pointless thing I've seen in a while

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

mobby_6kl posted:

lmao I've never noticed this as I don't have a VW but apparently they now have ugly plastic caps for wheel bolts

https://www.theautopian.com/these-plastic-caps-vw-put-on-wheel-bolts-are-stupid-and-confusing/

This might be the dumbest and most pointless thing I've seen in a while

They've had those for bloody ages. Lots of manufacturers do something similar too

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, my 03 Cavelier wheel nuts had male threads sticking out like they show at the end of that article. The hub caps had captured plastic nuts that tightened onto them. About 50% of the nuts were stripped or broken after 3 years, just hanging onto the hub cap flopping around.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Why use bolts instead of lugs and nuts? It’s such a pain in the rear end to maneuver a tire into place, slip a bolt in with a free hand, and pray you grab some threads vs hang the tire on the lugs and bolt it up. Is there some engineering advantage I’m not aware of that made VW do this on my Atlas?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

Why use bolts instead of lugs and nuts? It’s such a pain in the rear end to maneuver a tire into place, slip a bolt in with a free hand, and pray you grab some threads vs hang the tire on the lugs and bolt it up. Is there some engineering advantage I’m not aware of that made VW do this on my Atlas?
The more obstacles or in your way when working on your own car, the more likely you're to bring it to the dealer or mechanic. You haven't noticed this trend?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

They've had those for bloody ages. Lots of manufacturers do something similar too
If everyone is jumping off a bridge...

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's a German thing I think, my Opel uses bolts as well as do BMWs, IIRC.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mobby_6kl posted:

It's a German thing I think, my Opel uses bolts as well as do BMWs, IIRC.

Very German, on the old 928 the wheel bolts were some super light alloy. Every German car I've owned has had wheel bolts from the factory.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The following is posted purely as terrible car stuff, no political statement is implied:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1666935969562628096

How do they have so little imagination? Take a soldering iron and draw new grooves if you need them

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Very German, on the old 928 the wheel bolts were some super light alloy. Every German car I've owned has had wheel bolts from the factory.

It's very French and Italian too

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Anecdote here, but I work exclusively on German cars and it is extremely rare to run into a stripped or broken wheel bolt/hub, but I have seen/heard about tons of studs snapping or stripping.

Installing wheels with bolts is easy. Drop a bolt in one of the holes, set your impact gun on it, lift all together and line it up, bam. If you don’t have a hoist to work at the correct level, there is a threaded pin you can get (or is already in your car’s tool kit) which you pop in the hub to make installation easier.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I used to hate wheel bolts too but since working exclusively on Italian cars you do get used to it. Having a proper ramp helps of course but if I do find myself fitting a wheel on the deck I usually just sit on my rear end and prop the wheel up to the hub with my feet lol

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
For my VW, I found some fine thread bolts, cut off the heads, and would screw them into the hub to give me a rod on which to hang/align my wheel while I put on the other bolts.

My BMW uses an ultra fine thread and I haven't found a pair of bolts to use. (though looking now there are actually some cheap ones that I can buy that I hadn't seen before)

VVV Yeah, that!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 9, 2023

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
for my Alfa I use a wheel hangar (I think that's the name) which is just a long piece of metal that you screw into one (or more) of the holes, hang the tire on that and just thread in the rest of them.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

You know you can just line the holes up, right?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

No. 6 posted:

You know you can just line the holes up, right?

if the car's up on a jack it's a pain in the rear end without the hangar or a second person to lift the wheel up into place

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Fair, but I always rest the tire on the top of my feet and use them to help position. It's odd, but works great.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

No. 6 posted:

Fair, but I always rest the tire on the top of my feet and use them to help position. It's odd, but works great.

you sound a lot more flexible than I am

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No. 6 posted:

I didn’t know people did it any other way?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'd swear its been like 2-3 months since the last time we had this discussion/argument.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sit on the ground, wheel in your lap then put in position and hold there with your legs. Quick, easy and even fairly weak person can hold it in place for as long as required. Sure you get a little dirty but this way you don't have to risk your toes when wearing your garage safety sandals.

wesleywillis posted:

I'd swear its been like 2-3 months since the last time we had this discussion/argument.
Probably right but it's better than fighting about solder vs crimp or which oil to use.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sit on the ground, wheel in your lap then put in position and hold there with your legs. Quick, easy and even fairly weak person can hold it in place for as long as required. Sure you get a little dirty but this way you don't have to risk your toes when wearing your garage safety sandals.

Probably right but it's better than fighting about solder vs crimp or which oil to use.
It's possible of course but I do find that the studs make it much easier to align and get the wheel on without getting dirty. Not a big deal in a garage I suppose but makes it easier to do a quick change on the side of the road or a track day or something.

wesleywillis posted:

Not my fault, I started with bitching about the bolt caps which I think is a new topic!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
People's hubs don't have those little posts to hang the wheel on and line up the holes for them?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah on normal cars they're called lugs

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

Yeah on normal cars they're called lugs

Nuts to you I say

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fridge corn posted:

And occasionally Japanese.

My '78 Fiat had bolts, as did my '79 RX-7 originally. Bothe '79 and '80 had that, as well as other Mazdas of the era. Mazda switched to studs in '81. I even still have a full stud kit for it that I never installed (upgraded to the later hubs and rear axle.)

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Nuts to you I say

Yes, that's what you use with studs.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I can confirm it's very Swedish too. In fact I would go so far as to say it just might be very European, overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that Maybachs were supposed to be tasteful luxury. These wheels are incredibly tacky and look like plastic trims which is not a vibe I'd want if I was paying out the arse for a posh Mercedes.

https://twitter.com/CARandDRIVER/status/1667683107896451072?t=NJ8--sAJDecj751cpsojNg&s=19