Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

flashman posted:

Every legendary I pick up seems to have 4 affixes + aspect and the rares simply 3 affixes though.. Sample size is only a couple hrs this morning though.

Rares are able to roll 4 affix as well in wt3 and I've just been unlucky?

Legendaries always have 4 but google is telling me rares can roll up to 6 :thunk: sure haven't seen that yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

What are your guys initial impressions on the game so far?

It rules, op.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

Extremely good, very deep mechanics, and really awesome game world. The CGI cutscenes, and big cinematic cutscenes are so loving cool, and the end game is really fun. Defensive stats are broken (see resist magic stats) right now though, and so Blizzard still has a long ways to go in balancing certain things, players are having to work around clearly broken stats. I like how much there is to do in end game, D4 lets you choose from multiple activities instead of trying to pigeon hole you into one thing like a lot of RPGs do.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Sometimes I come across a single mob in a pack with a pink-ish badge floating over their head, looks kinda like a banner/flag with an eye(?) on it.

What is that? Next time I hope I remember to screenshot it.

I am not talking about the purple misty aura arond a mob, I assume that is one with better resistances (T3).

The game could do a lot better explaining its UI choices sometime.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Its the rogue inner sight icon, but I don't know what it means when it shows up on random mobs without being an inner sight rogue, I've seen it as well

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Hulk Krogan posted:

Sort of. You'll still revert to human form when you use a non-werewolf skill. That chest piece just makes it so you don't automatically turn back into a human after a few seconds.

It's great for the pulverize build because there are a couple different passives that give you guaranteed overpower if you stay a bear long enough or string together 12 kills without changing back. You're also much tankier as a bear. Not entirely sure what the benefit is for werewolf.

So you can’t make a full were build and just stay as bear or wolf? Or are they just not optimal?

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Legendaries always have 4 but google is telling me rares can roll up to 6 :thunk: sure haven't seen that yet

This is the difference between normal, sacred, and ancestral.

A normal legendary will have 4

An ancestral will have 6.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

Game is good, as someone who came in practically wanting to poo poo on it

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Substandard posted:

Important note for druid is that your fur color is tied to your hair color. So If you don't want a green bear don't pick the green hair because you can't change your hair later.

You can actually via the wardrobe.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The resist situation is funny to me because I think it might be the opposite of launch D3, where resists were super loving important but no one knew it for a little while.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Astryl posted:

So you can’t make a full were build and just stay as bear or wolf? Or are they just not optimal?

There are Aspects you can find that make either Werenoun your "true form"

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

To the other sorcs wondering what's up at high end - I don't know what is different about mine but I have zero issue killing big chonky dudes like bosses and stragglers with arc lash/static bolts?

Yes, you do go OOM faster versus smaller numbers of enemies - and ideally you R-click and delete 100 men at a time thanks to the vacuum-teleport Unique - but your dps vs bosses should still be crazy, especially if you are using Unstable Currents.

I put up a video of me fighting Elias in the capstone earlier - I eat over half his health bar using 1 stun window + currents. It's insane the amount of DPS you can put out with it - and it also has the benefit of erasing everything within 2 screens because of the sheer volume of nonsense you vomit out. Remember too, the more reliably you can churn out stuns (see below with teleport) the faster you stagger them - and while staggered, it counts as the boss being under ALL cc effects at once.

A lot of my stats ended up with bonuses to CLOSE ENEMIES and bonuses while barrier is active - which is almost 100% uptime. Yes there's a ton of damage to stunned enemies in the paragon board, that lets you wipe out non-bosses. You should also definitely try running the 'You deal more damage to Unstoppable enemies' - the uptime on that gets very high vs elites later on. My charged bolts unique staff rolled absolutely ludicrous stats, and I am going to struggle to replace it (707 base ilevel). I am currenty using 'skills have 5% to freecast Unstable Currents' but I might drop it, as the occasional lightning spear/orb isn't that amazing.

I am NOT using arc lash as an enchantment, though - I use Teleport instead, since Raiment of the Infinite turns teleport into a stun, and having 2 of them is crazy strong. I recently swapped from boots that give 2 extra evades to boots that reduce cooldown by .8 per attack - and that makes it, on average, so that I can teleport once every 5-6 seconds - and give you barrier each time you do it, including with the dash. The paragon that refills you for stunning works perfectly with this, too.

The Firebolt enchantment is purely to dive into all of the passive damage bonuses like extra crit vs on-fire. I'm pretty sure that the fire applies BEFORE your initial damage, so you are always benefiting from it.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 9, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

It's very good, and even better when you have a few bros on the party chat drinking beers and just absolutely splattering endless hordes of demons from hell.

I'm only level 30 unlike most of the sickos here (kids, etc), but I'm having a blast.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Game is good, as someone who came in practically wanting to poo poo on it

Yeah this, I think there was every reason to believe Blizzard would gently caress this up.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

mcbexx posted:

Sometimes I come across a single mob in a pack with a pink-ish badge floating over their head, looks kinda like a banner/flag with an eye(?) on it.

What is that? Next time I hope I remember to screenshot it.

I am not talking about the purple misty aura arond a mob, I assume that is one with better resistances (T3).

The game could do a lot better explaining its UI choices sometime.

The game explains this

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Astryl posted:

How? As far as I can tell you can only change your tattoos but not your hairstyle or color.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I changed to high texture quality from ultra (1440p, 3070) and the game no longer hitches/stutters and honestly I can't tell the difference visually. Big recommend.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Astryl posted:

You can, you just need to stick to werebear/wolf skills. If you have aspects that converts other types of skills to werebear/werewolf skills, that counts.

I'm running a pulverize build, and other than when I cast Earthen Bulwark, I'm permanently in bear form. Even then, there's a hat that makes earth skills count as bear skills, which I think would take care of that.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Astryl posted:

Hair is not in the wardrobe

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DarkDobe posted:

To the other sorcs wondering what's up at high end - I don't know what is different about mine but I have zero issue killing big chonky dudes like bosses and stragglers with arc lash/static bolts?

Yes, you do go OOM faster versus smaller numbers of enemies - and ideally you R-click and delete 100 men at a time thanks to the vacuum-teleport Unique - but your dps vs bosses should still be crazy, especially if you are using Unstable Currents.

I put up a video of me fighting Elias in the capstone earlier - I eat over half his health bar using 1 stun window + currents. It's insane the amount of DPS you can put out with it - and it also has the benefit of erasing everything within 2 screens because of the sheer volume of nonsense you vomit out. Remember too, the more reliably you can churn out stuns (see below with teleport) the faster you stagger them - and while staggered, it counts as the boss being under ALL cc effects at once.

A lot of my stats ended up with bonuses to CLOSE ENEMIES and bonuses while barrier is active - which is almost 100% uptime. Yes there's a ton of damage to stunned enemies in the paragon board, that lets you wipe out non-bosses. You should also definitely try running the 'You deal more damage to Unstoppable enemies' - the uptime on that gets very high vs elites later on. My charged bolts unique staff rolled absolutely ludicrous stats, and I am going to struggle to replace it (707 base ilevel). I am currenty using 'skills have 5% to freecast Unstable Currents' but I might drop it, as the occasional lightning spear/orb isn't that amazing.

I am NOT using arc lash as an enchantment, though - I use Teleport instead, since Raiment of the Infinite turns teleport into a stun, and having 2 of them is crazy strong. I recently swapped from boots that give 2 extra evades to boots that reduce cooldown by .8 per attack - and that makes it, on average, so that I can teleport once every 5-6 seconds - and give you barrier each time you do it, including with the dash. The paragon that refills you for stunning works perfectly with this, too.

The Firebolt enchantment is purely to dive into all of the passive damage bonuses like extra crit vs on-fire. I'm pretty sure that the fire applies BEFORE your initial damage, so you are always benefiting from it.

The legendary affix that gives your Flame Shield immobilize is surprisingly strong because you get burning/immobilize/barrier DPS buffs all at once, with a relatively high chance to proc Meteor enchantments.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

exquisite tea posted:

The legendary affix that gives your Flame Shield immobilize is surprisingly strong because you get burning/immobilize/barrier DPS buffs all at once, with a relatively high chance to proc Meteor enchantments.

I was never able to make the Fire 'lucky hit' stuff work - maybe when I get another good unique/legendary towards it, but it was awful when I last tried. I think having more innate lucky hit and sources of it would help that one a lot - getting free meteors/firewalls out of things sounds awesome. For now I am lightning shotgun Conduit Sorc. I use ice barrier since it has a longer uptime, regens my mana, and i have a passive that gives me unstoppable for using it -so it's always an out.

Have any other sorcs gotten the fireball unique - and been really underwhelmed by it? Maybe it's better with the OTHER unique that turns fireballs into bouncy beachballs of death, but fireball feels AWFUL (but then, most of my gear is lightning/stun oriented so swapping isn't ideal)

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 9, 2023

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

inferis posted:

Apparently horse goes faster the farther your mouse cursor is away from it

Which becomes a problem riding down-screen because hovering over the toolbar stops the horse. There's an option to move the toolbar to the left corner though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I forgot who mentioned it earlier, but there was talk of +skill vs other suffixes - it seems like +skill is better up until a certain ilevel, because it adds a fixed value as opposed to almost every other value which adds a percentage (which may be higher than the fixed value at the highest ilevels).

There also seems to be a difference in the percentage ranges; for example, as a druid it seems to be better to go for "N% damage in werewolf form" if you're doing a shred build, rather than "N% damage".
I imagine there are similar class-specific modifiers for other classes, but I haven't played any yet.

Similarly, "N% damage to Healthy enemies", which is the affix on two-handed axes, seems very powerful for anyone who can wield two-handed axes, and I imagine it's probably required for a best-in-slot for druid.

flashman posted:

Every legendary I pick up seems to have 4 affixes + aspect and the rares simply 3 affixes though.. Sample size is only a couple hrs this morning though.

Rares are able to roll 4 affix as well in wt3 and I've just been unlucky?
As I understand it, depending on ilevel, common has 0-1 suffix, magic has 2-3 suffixes, rares have 3-4 suffixes, sacred adds +1 and ancestral adds +2 on the base number of suffixes.
Legendaries are are just rares with an extra suffix that's normally filled out.

inferis posted:

Apparently horse goes faster the farther your mouse cursor is away from it
Yep, and if you bind force move to a mouse button, you can even move it over the UI elements that otherwise get activated when you hold down and move on top of them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

DarkDobe posted:

I was never able to make the Fire 'lucky hit' stuff work - maybe when I get another good unique/legendary towards it, but it was awful when I last tried. I think having more innate lucky hit and sources of it would help that one a lot - getting free meteors/firewalls out of things sounds awesome. For now I am lightning shotgun Conduit Sorc.

You kind of need to fully invest in Lucky Hit for it to start noticeably paying off, 3/3 in the passive and then the affix that gives ~20% lucky hit when a Barrier is up.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

exquisite tea posted:

You kind of need to fully invest in Lucky Hit for it to start noticeably paying off, 3/3 in the passive and then the affix that gives ~20% lucky hit when a Barrier is up.

I figured as much.
I watched someone showing off their build that runs Meteor, with a fully leveled Firewall not even on their hotbar - they just rely on the passive that makes burning damage spawn firewalls - and it was pretty nuts.
He'd cast 1 fireball on like 5 dudes, end up with 4 free fireballs and walls filling the screen. Ah, the pyromaniac's dream...

What other sources of lucky hit are there? I think I've seen it show up on gear - but usually with a conditional like 'lucky hit vs CCd enemies' kind of stuff.
I do currently run the 15% boost since I had points to throw around and it's nice for incidental benefits.

I do really wish tooltips would show your actual 'lucky hit chance' on skills with all of the multipliers accounted for.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Finally ran into the Butcher. Was wondering where he was.

Heard him way before saw him, had no idea what was going on.

Dude hits like a truck.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

It's just a proc coefficient, it's not nearly as useful since it's a percentage of a percentage value.

Overpower is even worse, since it's fixed at 3% unless it gets modified by class dynamics (which all seem to be very temporary and usually on cooldowns) - meaning it's much more difficult to build around it, since you'll need to average out your DPS against other builds to find what's better consistently.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ChocNitty posted:

I love D4 and if the seasons and expansions are good then I'll play this for years and years.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's just a proc coefficient, it's not nearly as useful since it's a percentage of a percentage value.

Overpower is even worse, since it's fixed at 3% unless it gets modified by class dynamics (which all seem to be very temporary and usually on cooldowns) - meaning it's much more difficult to build around it, since you'll need to average out your DPS against other builds to find what's better consistently.

Sorcs uniquely benefit from Lucky Hit in a way that other classes don't because they have enchantments that contribute a large percentage of their overall damage (and also their spenders mostly suck).

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

What gets me is that overpower and crit both have their own multiplier - which you CAN build around - but you can't build for both. It really feels like in the end, crit and crit damage will be the best choice no matter what you are doing, since you can actually build it up to a reasonable amount.

The first dude to clear a level 100 NM had a warrior with something like 45% crit chance and almost %500 crit damage going.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

game good

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
The wardrobe lets you change only your appearance and doesn't let you save different skill loadouts, right? I'm not missing some way to make it behave like the wardrobe in D3 and save alternate builds, am I?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

McCoy Pauley posted:

The wardrobe lets you change only your appearance and doesn't let you save different skill loadouts, right? I'm not missing some way to make it behave like the wardrobe in D3 and save alternate builds, am I?

If only.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

McCoy Pauley posted:

Appearance only. Devs don't want you to you do multiple builds with one character, so there will be nothing that makes that easy. They were pretty clear in interviews that they want you to make a new character for a new build.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I haven't chased any down yet but I'm sad there aren't more golem specific Necro aspects. I think there's ... One.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Loot can be a real drag. I could grind dungeons forever but returning to town and having to ~ think ~ about what to do with legendaries I might need in 3 weeks after Blizzard's 4th rebalance wears on me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

coelomate posted:

Loot can be a real drag. I could grind dungeons forever but returning to town and having to ~ think ~ about what to do with legendaries I might need in 3 weeks after Blizzard's 4th rebalance wears on me.

Aspects being Consumable sucks. I just want to fill out my Pokedex that I can pull from infinitely forever.
I hate the, "Do I have one of these floating around already? .... Do I actually care if I do?" game.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

acumen posted:

You eventually get the ability to salvage/craft more, but I'm not sure what the trigger is for that quest. I think if you do the first one a higher tier sigil will drop, do that one and it may unlock?

it was completing a t3

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Aspects being Consumable sucks. I just want to fill out my Pokedex that I can pull from infinitely forever.
I hate the, "Do I have one of these floating around already? .... Do I actually care if I do?" game.

The whole aspect system is like if you gave someone the cube powers from D3 and asked them to make the game that came before it. Taking a legendary effect and putting it on almost any slot? That's good! Literally everything else about it? That's bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

exquisite tea posted:

The whole aspect system is like if you gave someone the cube powers from D3 and asked them to make the game that came before it. Taking a legendary effect and putting it on almost any slot? That's good! Literally everything else about it? That's bad!

this 100%