Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was sleeping working when the news dropped and holy poo poo can't wait for Tuesday :lmao:

Wayback posted:

Seems like there is precedent for the DOJ to push for Cannon's recusal, or removal, by the 11th Circuit since that is basically the route they took last time with her nonsense and they slapped down on her tactics.
IIRC that required her doing something extremely blatant first, like claiming jurisdiction for no loving reason.

Charliegrs posted:

There's a good podcast called "Jack" (as in Jack Smith) on Spotify hosted by Andy McCabe and I can't remember the woman lawyers name but she's a good host too. They don't have new episodes every day but they are pretty frequent and quite good.
I'm still mad about how that played out, it seems like the situation was salvageable and now we're out of a pretty good law-explaining source.

In addition to "Jack", Popehat apparently has a legal podcast but I haven't listed to it yet: https://www.serioustrouble.show/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Only legal podcast I have been enjoying lately has been strict scrutiny (https://open.spotify.com/show/1FPypRiOzESSmOSiLfUY7F?si=657_1PErRHC5pFfv_c5pMQ)

Listen to 5-4 on occasion too. Would like a more general one that isn't so SCOTUS focused though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
She's not a judge, she's a traitor who wears a robe. Here's hoping that Jack Smith knows how to handle compromised judges.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Baronash posted:

More importantly, however, are you arguing that legal maneuvering in opposition to the will of the voters is fine as long as there is the veneer of "respecting the rules"? That's... certainly an argument.

Again, this all goes back to Gore’s initial decision to selectively recount based on expected partisan gains. That’s certainly not serving “the will of the voters” - imagine Trump requesting a PA recount, but not Philly, Pittsburgh, or the surrounding suburbs. Either all votes deserve a second moment of scrutiny, or none of them should qualify.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

mobby_6kl posted:

I was sleeping working when the news dropped and holy poo poo can't wait for Tuesday :lmao:

IIRC that required her doing something extremely blatant first, like claiming jurisdiction for no loving reason.

I'm still mad about how that played out, it seems like the situation was salvageable and now we're out of a pretty good law-explaining source.

In addition to "Jack", Popehat apparently has a legal podcast but I haven't listed to it yet: https://www.serioustrouble.show/

Someone else mentioned it before and I'll second Lawfare. They're one of two groups that literally had someone at almost every day of the recent Proud Boy trial.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1667192406356156421?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
One thing I appreciate about all this is knowing that despite his "wealth" and status, and even having been the god drat POTUS, he will absolutely not have the best legal team money can buy to defend him in these cases.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Again, this all goes back to Gore’s initial decision to selectively recount based on expected partisan gains. That’s certainly not serving “the will of the voters” - imagine Trump requesting a PA recount, but not Philly, Pittsburgh, or the surrounding suburbs. Either all votes deserve a second moment of scrutiny, or none of them should qualify.

No, it doesn't "go back to" that at all. What Gore's team chose to focus on and why is not at issue. The Florida Supreme Court ordered a statewide recount, and the US Supreme Court prevented it from being carried out as a means of putting their finger on the scales for Bush. I would think that if you feel that all votes deserved a second moment of scrutiny, the proper action would have been to complete the statewide hand recount.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Not so Trusty after all

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Second person indicted. His assistant Walt Nauta has been indicted.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1667197772703866884?s=20

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
It really makes me wonder what happened in the last not even 24 hours that caused that change in defense counsel. Were they not rear end kissing hard enough on their TV spots?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It really makes me wonder what happened in the last not even 24 hours that caused that change in defense counsel. Were they not rear end kissing hard enough on their TV spots?

My speculation would be...

They proposed to mount an actual defense which pissed off Trump because it implies he might have done something wrong.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The dude left a legitimate law firm to rep trump lol. I bet *he's* the one that will actually get paid

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Baronash posted:

No, it doesn't "go back to" that at all. What Gore's team chose to focus on and why is not at issue. The Florida Supreme Court ordered a statewide recount, and the US Supreme Court prevented it from being carried out as a means of putting their finger on the scales for Bush. I would think that if you feel that all votes deserved a second moment of scrutiny, the proper action would have been to complete the statewide hand recount.

My understanding of most states' election laws is that there really isn't even a mechanism for a candidate to request a statewide recount. The candidate has to select the county or district they want recounted, and then have to foot the bill for the recount.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ryde posted:

My speculation would be...

They proposed to mount an actual defense which pissed off Trump because it implies he might have done something wrong.

Either this, or they told him they'd handled the indictment and it would go away. Then it made the news and Trump threw a tantrum.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1667138563241041925?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Trump Legal Troubles: "Secret. This is secret information. Look, look at this,"

mods, please do the needful

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

cr0y posted:

The dude left a legitimate law firm to rep trump lol. I bet *he's* the one that will actually get paid

Sure everyone who has associated with Trump has had their lives destroyed, but it just might work out for me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

cr0y posted:

This guy may be an rear end in a top hat but if he's a lawyer then he at least has some modicum of intelligence.

Why do they keep doing this? Trump never pays! It's like saying "Sire, it hurt when the other guys got kicked in the balls, but it won't hurt when *I* get kicked in the balls."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

cr0y posted:

He defended Fruman and Manafort? Didn't they end up doing time? I can see Trump is only hiring the best and brightest of asskissers asskissers.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Randalor posted:

So what happens in the event of s GJ trial with an obviously compromised judge? Are there avenues to have a new judge assigned to oversee the case/sentencing or is the DoJ just poo poo outta luck, Trump gets to run for Dictator for Life 2024?

This Twitter account claiming some authoritative knowledge on the topic seems to think that the DoJ could get her out, but I'm not qualified to evaluate its analysis.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

This guy may be an rear end in a top hat but if he's a lawyer then he at least has some modicum of intelligence.

Why do they keep doing this? Trump never pays! It's like saying "Sire, it hurt when the other guys got kicked in the balls, but it won't hurt when *I* get kicked in the balls."

As an attorney myself, I can assure you that a law degree or even bar passage is no guarantee of competence.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

More shoes indictments falling:

Trump aide Walt Nauta indicted in classified documents case

quote:

An aide to former President Donald Trump has been indicted in special counsel Jack Smith’s investigation into the mishandling of classified documents from the Trump White House, two sources familiar with the indictment tell CNN.

Walt Nauta’s indictment is the second in the special counsel’s investigation after Trump was indicted on seven counts on Thursday.

An attorney for Nauta declined to comment. Nauta was with Trump at his Bedminster, New Jersey, golf club this week.

The specific charges against Nauta have not been revealed.

Trump responded to Nauta’s indictment on his social media Friday, writing, “They are trying to destroy his life, like the lives of so many others, hoping that he will say bad things about ‘Trump.’ He is strong, brave, and a Great Patriot. The FBI and DOJ are CORRUPT!”

Nauta’s involvement in the movement of boxes of classified material at Trump’s Florida resort had been a subject of scrutiny of investigators. Nauta, with the help of a maintenance worker at Mar-a-Lago, moved the boxes before the FBI executed a search warrant on the Palm Beach property last August.

According to court filings last year, the FBI found more than 100 documents marked as classified during the search, which took place weeks after a Trump lawyer signed a statement attesting that the Trump team had complied with a May subpoena seeking production of all documents with classified markings.

Investigators obtained surveillance footage showing Nauta and the worker moving boxes of the classified documents around the resort, CNN previously reported. Nauta had spoken to investigators repeatedly in the probe, at first telling them he hadn’t handled boxes or sensitive documents at Mar-a-Lago.

Once the surveillance footage was turned over, however, Nauta changed his story, CNN previously reported, and, after changing attorneys, the aide stopped talking to investigators all together last fall.

The Wall Street Journal first reported the indictment.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is also the guy who's job it was to bring Trump a diet coke when he pushed the button in the Oval Office.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Guys is it good or bad if your lawyers all quit the day you're indicted

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Based off of a sentence in wapo reporting that suggested that the lawyers left after trump announced he would be bringing in more attorneys, I wonder if they left for a few reasons or something else. Possibilities:
*the evidence is that bad
*hiring true believer outside counsel that’ll only step on rakes
*trump being constantly out of pocket and ignoring advice like “don’t tweet about your case/indictment it only makes things worse”
*failure to pay

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Yiggy posted:

Based off of a sentence in wapo reporting that suggested that the lawyers left after trump announced he would be bringing in more attorneys, I wonder if they left for a few reasons or something else. Possibilities:
*trump being constantly out of pocket and ignoring advice like “don’t tweet about your case/indictment it only makes things worse”
*failure to pay

Rumor is that they cloned Rudy and both the original and clone will be tag teaming Don's defense.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 9, 2023

gregday
May 23, 2003

Yiggy posted:

*failure to pay

There was reporting that they’ve been telling him for months he wouldn’t be indicted.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Yiggy posted:

"Look, look at my crime stuff. You gotta see this, the illegal crime things, that I have, me, trump."

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Just saw the news. What a fun day this just became.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Someone explain to me how this isn't an insta-acquittal now. She'll refuse to recuse, throw out all the evidence, and appoint twenty special masters with a report due in 2300.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Someone explain to me how this isn't an insta-acquittal now. She'll refuse to recuse, throw out all the evidence, and appoint twenty special masters with a report due in 2300.

Read further up in this thread

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
:munch:

While the lawyers announced their own departure, and T has not yet openly lambasted them, it seems likely that he spent at least 12 hours yelling at them because he truly thought he wouldn't be indicted. The lawyers probably looked at each other, nodded their heads, and realized that they could no longer represent their client. Even if T hadn't yet realized he was going to fire them, they likely realized that the situation was untenable. Perhaps they knew other lawyers were being lined up; perhaps not. In any case they likely realized "nothing remains here for us to do".

Regarding Cannon, sigh, it seems like the precedent is to return the case to the previous judge. That means she gets to open the indictment and read the charges, record the pleas, and set a date. The smart choice might be recusal, but she seems to dumb from last time to have learned that lesson. Strict adherence would permit her to save face, but I doubt she can manage more than a few weeks of that.

Haven't really reached a conclusion thinking about this. There's lots of room to go to appellate, just like last time, and there are sentencing guidelines and lots of prior court expectations about trial scheduling and such. There's obviously a lot of "worst case" scenarios. I hope the prosecutors have already planned for some of that, but on this part we're stuck waiting for a while.

gregday
May 23, 2003

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

:munch:

While the lawyers announced their own departure, and T has not yet openly lambasted them, it seems likely that he spent at least 12 hours yelling at them because he truly thought he wouldn't be indicted. The lawyers probably looked at each other, nodded their heads, and realized that they could no longer represent their client. Even if T hadn't yet realized he was going to fire them, they likely realized that the situation was untenable. Perhaps they knew other lawyers were being lined up; perhaps not. In any case they likely realized "nothing remains here for us to do".

Regarding Cannon, sigh, it seems like the precedent is to return the case to the previous judge. That means she gets to open the indictment and read the charges, record the pleas, and set a date. The smart choice might be recusal, but she seems to dumb from last time to have learned that lesson. Strict adherence would permit her to save face, but I doubt she can manage more than a few weeks of that.

Haven't really reached a conclusion thinking about this. There's lots of room to go to appellate, just like last time, and there are sentencing guidelines and lots of prior court expectations about trial scheduling and such. There's obviously a lot of "worst case" scenarios. I hope the prosecutors have already planned for some of that, but on this part we're stuck waiting for a while.

But she wasn’t the previous judge, Reinhardt was.

What she was, was the judge in the matter where Trump filed civil suit against the DOJ to try to stop the search warrant. She was found to not even have jurisdiction and it was shut down.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/zoetillman/status/1667227542095273994

Some fun reading material for the weekend just dropped

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

gregday posted:

But she wasn’t the previous judge, Reinhardt was.

What she was, was the judge in the matter where Trump filed civil suit against the DOJ to try to stop the search warrant. She was found to not even have jurisdiction and it was shut down.

I mean this does seem like a much different circumstance then and that precedent doesn't seem likely to apply.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

FizFashizzle posted:

This is also the guy who's job it was to bring Trump a diet coke when he pushed the button in the Oval Office.

The puff piece about this aide that circulated two or so months back painted a picture of a staffer that showed up to work and stayed out of the game of thrones-esque jockeying that the trump family and senior staffers always seemed to be embroiled in. The loyal, quiet body man that no one paid attention to or minded around.

Since his charges remain to be unsealed I’m curious if he held the line and gets hammered for shuttling the boxes and lying to the FBI on their first pass (presumably before they sat him in a room and played the surveillance tape) or if he’s getting a lesser charge in exchange for cooperation. The tweet trump made about poor innocent Walter makes it feel like they don’t quite know where he’s landed yet and are still publicly spinning him but I’m not sure that he’s not a supporting witness.

Edit: looks like full indictment just dropped I expect this to be clarified soon enough

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

chaoslord posted:

https://twitter.com/zoetillman/status/1667227542095273994

Some fun reading material for the weekend just dropped

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1667227605185994755

gregday
May 23, 2003

31 counts for Espionage. gently caress.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Walt Nauta going to be part of a highway soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

gregday posted:

31 counts for Espionage. gently caress.

That's a lot of espionage!