Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
They seem like they should be the backbone to an economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Magus42 posted:

Appearance only. Devs don't want you to you do multiple builds with one character, so there will be nothing that makes that easy. They were pretty clear in interviews that they want you to make a new character for a new build.

The only way that could possibly work for the devs is if respeccing was prohibitively expensive, and I don’t think it is?

I would really like both a pve and a pvp build.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

still mad at blizzard there's no paladin/crusader/monk

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Astryl posted:

You can actually via the wardrobe.

Last time I checked you could not change hair at all in the wardrobe, did they add that recently?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a way to make it so that when I hit Start, type in "Diablo" and hit Enter, it just launches the loving game instead of the bnet Launcher?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
My initial impression of D4 is that I'd be giddy to try every class to 50+ and to do all the side content and campaign at least once so even if I hate the end game to tears it's an easy triple digit hour fun ARPG. Good poo poo Blizzard. Speaking of...

Wow. Did not expect Horses to be such a good addition to the gameplay and overworld. Monsters give you a wider shoulder, you've got some actual interaction with them and the horse and using the horse rewards the hell out of you. Move speed boost, camera zoom out oh my god Blizzard don't dig your heels in on this let us pull the camera further up, and a class specific badass dismount attack. Oh, a pack of monsters??? Does a sweet kickflip into the air and Rain of Arrows the pack to start. :clint:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

SettingSun posted:

The only way that could possibly work for the devs is if respeccing was prohibitively expensive, and I don’t think it is?

I didn't say they fully prevented it, but they're not going to go out of their way to make it trivial like in D3 :)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DarkDobe posted:

What gets me is that overpower and crit both have their own multiplier - which you CAN build around - but you can't build for both. It really feels like in the end, crit and crit damage will be the best choice no matter what you are doing, since you can actually build it up to a reasonable amount.

The first dude to clear a level 100 NM had a warrior with something like 45% crit chance and almost %500 crit damage going.
Crit% and crit dmg % are always good to build around, because it scales very quickly.

It's also the most boring way to build something.

Sab669 posted:

Is there a way to make it so that when I hit Start, type in "Diablo" and hit Enter, it just launches the loving game instead of the bnet Launcher?
I imagine Blizzard is going to attempt to do everything in their power to prevent this, because they absolutely want to put ads for their own stuff in front of peoples eyeballs.

Also, it's the only way to auto-update the game, since you can apparently keep the game open across patches; I found this out when I tried to invite someone to a party for a world-boss, and it said they had a different version.
My game had been running long enough that a new version had come out, and it hadn't forced me to quit.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

SettingSun posted:

Respec'ing isn't prohibitively expensive, even as I'm levelling up and just playing with different rogue builds in the mid-30s as different legendaries drop, but it is getting to the point where fully respec'ing all skills is a noticeable chunk of change and it often seems easier just to wipe the slate clean than to dink around with refunding one point to add it somewhere else, then run into the problem that pulling a point at one tier would upset a later tier so you can't just do it as directly as you want and instead so some Tower of Hanoi like reshuffling of points. It would be better if you could just pull points and put them back in and the game didn't check that tier unlocks made sense until you were done reshuffling.

The money feeling like a hit is probably a sign I should be selling stuff instead of salvaging it all, I guess. Time to sell some loot.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

coelomate posted:

Loot can be a real drag. I could grind dungeons forever but returning to town and having to ~ think ~ about what to do with legendaries I might need in 3 weeks after Blizzard's 4th rebalance wears on me.

I haven't found a real upgrade in a while, and skimming Diablo talk I don't think I'm alone. They front-load a lot of good stuff when you break into WT3, but after getting sacred gear it's been forever. This is not a bad thing, necessarily. If I had to seriously consider what to do with my one re-use of aspects very often I'd hate the aspect system more than I already do. I just TP and sell/salvage my rares (whichever I feel like at the moment), then check if any of my legendary aspects are high-end enough to hold onto and salvage the rest to use on upgrades. Kind of feels like Diablo 2 where you hit endgame and then have to wait for real upgrades, but it's going to happen every WT probably.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Three dungeons in a row with the Butcher and each time he drops a max roll legendary. Am I lucky or does he do that every time? Owns if so.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

I haven't chased any down yet but I'm sad there aren't more golem specific Necro aspects. I think there's ... One.

Yep, and there is a paragon board specific to the golem.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I said come in! posted:

Yep, and there is a paragon board specific to the golem.

Oh okay. I'm not even level 30 yet (I'm like a 1.5 hour a night kinda player) so maybe that will be cool later

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

McCoy Pauley posted:

Respec'ing isn't prohibitively expensive, even as I'm levelling up and just playing with different rogue builds in the mid-30s as different legendaries drop, but it is getting to the point where fully respec'ing all skills is a noticeable chunk of change and it often seems easier just to wipe the slate clean than to dink around with refunding one point to add it somewhere else, then run into the problem that pulling a point at one tier would upset a later tier so you can't just do it as directly as you want and instead so some Tower of Hanoi like reshuffling of points. It would be better if you could just pull points and put them back in and the game didn't check that tier unlocks made sense until you were done reshuffling.

The money feeling like a hit is probably a sign I should be selling stuff instead of salvaging it all, I guess. Time to sell some loot.

The skill tree badly needs a toggle/pause with the window open where you're like "I want to swap my builder or spender and I want you to assume I'll invest three points into the new one so that I have minimum points in this node." Click the new option, it highlights the relevant part, you click on the 2 nods behind it, confirm the changes and the highlight fades and the new tree is committed. If you don't confirm or if you close it early it doesn't swap your skills.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Doomykins posted:

The skill tree badly needs a toggle/pause with the window open where you're like "I want to swap my builder or spender and I want you to assume I'll invest three points into the new one so that I have minimum points in this node." Click the new option, it highlights the relevant part, you click on the 2 nods behind it, confirm the changes and the highlight fades and the new tree is committed. If you don't confirm or close it it doesn't swap your skills.

Yeah that'd be nice instead of having to remove points at the end to give you room to shuffle around and replace the end points

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Doomykins posted:

The skill tree badly needs a toggle/pause with the window open where you're like "I want to swap my builder or spender and I want you to assume I'll invest three points into the new one so that I have minimum points in this node." Click the new option, it highlights the relevant part, you click on the 2 nods behind it, confirm the changes and the highlight fades and the new tree is committed. If you don't confirm or if you close it early it doesn't swap your skills.

Yes, exactly this. As it is now, particularly with 35+ points all across from top to bottom, I get half way through what I want to do with one respec at a time, hit that wall, adn then just wipe the whole thing for 30K or whatever it costs me now. Which isn't a big deal in the scheme of things, but what the hell is point of the limitation? To make me hunt loot to sell for 2 minutes? What fun is it to charge for respecs?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

Oh okay. I'm not even level 30 yet (I'm like a 1.5 hour a night kinda player) so maybe that will be cool later

My minion build hasnt placed that one yet, but I am using the other one that is specific to minion health/damage. And if Blizzard ever unfucks defensive stats, minions should be in a good balanced place finally. I really miss their 1st open beta state though lol.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

My minion build hasnt placed that one yet, but I am using the other one that is specific to minion health/damage. And if Blizzard ever unfucks defensive stats, minions should be in a good balanced place finally. I really miss their 1st open beta state though lol.

I sacrificed my skeletons for cool buffs, just me and the Big Fella going around bopping people on the head (with blood)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

I sacrificed my skeletons for cool buffs, just me and the Big Fella going around bopping people on the head (with blood)

Hell yeah that is a good one too. Golem is our friend and we love them.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

McCoy Pauley posted:

At some point they had some exec give an interview where he said they wanted respeccing to be prohibitively expensive over time, so you would just roll a new character instead of respeccing. It seems to just cost a set amount based on your level and I haven't noticed it increasing the more I use it, so hopefully this was a terrible idea that is in the dustbin of history.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It costs like 50k to fully respec your skill points which is what I get from vendoring 2 yellow items at lvl 68

I have like 15 million gold without really trying to farm it

It is, as they say, "not a big deal"

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 9, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It costs like 50k to fully respec your skill points which is what you get from vendoring 2 yellow items at lvl 68

Yeah, they should just make it free and let you hotswap specs with your outfits like in D3. Having it cost money currently serves no purpose.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

What other sources of lucky hit are there? I think I've seen it show up on gear - but usually with a conditional like 'lucky hit vs CCd enemies' kind of stuff.

Straight Lucky hit bonus can show up on gloves and rings. Gloves has the largest modifier for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It costs like 50k to fully respec your skill points which is what you get from vendoring 2 yellow items at lvl 68

The problem really isn't with respeccing skill points, those are cheap and easy. The issue is with having a full complement of aspects ready to go with the appropriately rolled gear, which are all expensive to extract and enchant. And you can spend a long time waiting for the right aspects to drop before your alt build is really "ready."

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Ok beat the story, level 48 barbarian in tier 1. Already feel incredibly weak and I thought I'd shake out tier 2 in one of the aspect unlock dungeons and folks it was bad. Is this normal??

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

The problem really isn't with respeccing skill points, those are cheap and easy. The issue is with having a full complement of aspects ready to go with the appropriately rolled gear, which are all expensive to extract and enchant. And you can spend a long time waiting for the right aspects to drop before your alt build is really "ready."

Yeah but that's literally the game. Farming for the stuff you want.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Substandard posted:

Yeah, they should just make it free and let you hotswap specs with your outfits like in D3. Having it cost money currently serves no purpose.

If they want me to make another character to try a different build, I would sure like more than 10 character slots.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

Ok beat the story, level 48 barbarian in tier 1. Already feel incredibly weak and I thought I'd shake out tier 2 in one of the aspect unlock dungeons and folks it was bad. Is this normal??

Any of the classes should be absolutely destroying T1 after lvl 25 or so, and T2 isn't that much harder. Probably need to figure out your skill/legendary synergies. Even 1 high-roll Rapid Aspect on a 2-hander should carry you at that difficulty

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 9, 2023

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Switched out of barrage to penetrating shot and I'm surprised how much better it is once you have some gear. Makes me think stuff like flurry and barrage are more attuned to leveling.

Lvl 65 in WT4 now and popping shadow imbue and launching a big gently caress you into an elite pack and watching everything explode in one hit is def fun

Found that unique bow that guarantees crit on first hit so that helps as well

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah but that's literally the game. Farming for the stuff you want.

Yeah but it's clumsy and inelegant. Aspects being consumables that you can't even access from the stash and that you don't have full access to from the codex make the entire process much more unsatisfying and constricting than it should be, imho. Finding a godly drop should immediately put you on a path toward respeccing to fit that build, not thinking "oh well do I have a few spare Aspects of Overpower Attacks cause your Mana Spenders to increase Lucky Hit chance by [10-15]% every Second Tuesday."

Aspects should be saved to the codex when extracted for the first time, and retain your highest rolled level. I'd be astonished if this wasn't exactly how they work one year from now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Asproigerosis posted:

Are you following a build? If not, at least examine a couple of them to get ideas about what makes them tick. If you are, review your gear and see if it's synergizing with your build. I had a pretty tough time with my barb until I swapped to a prefab build and learned how it works, then tailored my gear to suit it and I slayed all the way to endgame.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

The whole aspect system is like if you gave someone the cube powers from D3 and asked them to make the game that came before it. Taking a legendary effect and putting it on almost any slot? That's good! Literally everything else about it? That's bad!

very well put.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

wrong thread

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Magus42 posted:

Hair is not in the wardrobe

Oh huh I could have sworn, though maybe I’m just losing my mind. My b!

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

CLAM DOWN posted:

still mad at blizzard there's no paladin/crusader/monk

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I mean, they gotta save something for the two expansions they're already working on.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My favourite unique so far was:

Boots that give you Crit % based on 25% of your movespeed bonus.
Oh.. except these boots didn't actually roll any movespeed on them.
11/10 no notes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Paladins were all corrupted by Mephisto in D2.
Monks were brainwashed by Inarius' cult.
Crusaders have fallen on hard times in Hawezar.

Only the Witch Doctor remains pure.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah but it's clumsy and inelegant. Aspects being consumables that you can't even access from the stash and that you don't have full access to from the codex make the entire process much more unsatisfying and constricting than it should be, imho. Finding a godly drop should immediately put you on a path toward respeccing to fit that build, not thinking "oh well do I have a few spare Aspects of Overpower Attacks cause your Mana Spenders to increase Lucky Hit chance by [10-15]% every Second Tuesday."

Aspects should be saved to the codex when extracted for the first time, and retain your highest rolled level. I'd be astonished if this wasn't exactly how they work one year from now.
Bad post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, my take on the game overall is that it's pretty fun going through the campaign. But there are quite a few questionable QoL (or lack thereof) choices that sort of start to drag on the longer you play. I also think the endgame is unbalanced, and not in a fun way. Like, they need to increase the density/exp reward of nightmare dungeons because in wt3 and wt4 you absolutely should not be incentivized to run regular dungeons over the endgame form of nightmare dungeons.

The aspect juggling also gets annoying, even down to the UX when you're imprinting not showing if you already have an aspect in your gear or not (at which point I need to figure out whether I already have lucky hit with barrier, more damage to vulnerable with barrier, more damage TO vulnerable (without barrier) and so on and so forth). The limited space is annoying too, it's sort of okay to throw all that stuff in the stash but then you're hampered by the lack of search anyway.

I think extracting/imprinting would be better if they all just went into the codex, with a special tab for extracted aspects. I don't really think the limited inventory adds to anything.