Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One of the biggest things holding back Siberian agriculture is a lack of long-term labor. You can't tell me that in some early planning stages of the Ukrainian invasion, the evil fucks didn't :allears: at the possibility of sending tens/hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians up to work the fields in Siberia. As it stands, I've always thought "Plan B" will come when the Indian Subcontinent becomes inhospitable to those without access to air conditioning.

I'd also imagine the soil under the permafrost is pretty damned fertile having been baked in trapped methane for hundreds/thousands of years. Most of the fertilizer industry is in deep with the CNG industry.

Not just long-term labor, but lack of infrastructure. Industrial scale agriculture requires a decent amount of infrastructure - nothing like you'd see in a city, but you need to plant, harvest, store, and transport all those crops. It requires decent roads/rail, water supplies for irrigation, etc. What infrastructure is there was designed and built with the idea that permafrost would be permanent.

This is not an insurmountable task, but Russia is also likely to undergo severe economic shocks for some period of years after the invasion of Ukraine - as a nation, they are deeply unpopular in most of the world, and nobody knows just how long that will last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
We're going to have destructive degrowth, it's just not going to be human politics that cause it. The effects of climate change are going to hit us whether or not it's politically convenient or realistic to acknowledge.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

The ELF (Earth Liberation Front) is the only thing that comes to mind, and I haven't heard of them in quite awhile. It was also completely decentralized, which is probably what allowed for them to operate for so long, while simultaneously limiting the potential scope of their actions.

ELF and ALF were considered the two biggest terrorist organizations in the US for quite a long time.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Regarding the battery installation I’m seeing

It’s the blue 2023. That’s the stuff I’ve been seeing in transit in warehouses.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like that it is leveling off in 2025. It needs to go hockey-stick.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I did some math for Germany I think and they'd have to double newly installed capacity every year for at least a decade to get anywhere lol.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I don't like that it is leveling off in 2025. It needs to go hockey-stick.

I think that’s the end of the IRA money.

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Misunderstanding of economics, industrialized society and heavily biased politics lead to doomerism. Command economics have done the same if not more environmental damage than markets.

only a planned climate war economy has even the faintest hope of saving even a remnant of civilization from itself, let alone initiating the generation reterraforming project that needs to happen.

planned economies can, you know, actually plan for the future. markets can't.

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin
there has never been a command economy ever that has been oriented towards biosphere restoration. that's our only hope.

otherwise - if it's tyool 2023 and you still don't know we're doomed, you probably still believe neoclassical econ is anything more than a hallucinatory psuedoscience.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Osv18 posted:

only a planned climate war economy has even the faintest hope of saving even a remnant of civilization from itself, let alone initiating the generation reterraforming project that needs to happen.

planned economies can, you know, actually plan for the future. markets can't.

Whats your plan to create a climate-themed theocracy and how have you acted on it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Whats your plan to create a climate-themed theocracy and how have you acted on it.

Why a theocracy?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Probably "theocracy" isn't quite right but what is being proposed is solidly in the authoritarian camp. Except that even authoritarian governments need some sort of popular support from some significant part of the population, and I'm not sure who the constituency is for this destructive degrowth policy.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Probably "theocracy" isn't quite right but what is being proposed is solidly in the authoritarian camp. Except that even authoritarian governments need some sort of popular support from some significant part of the population, and I'm not sure who the constituency is for this destructive degrowth policy.
In all seriousness, something like a revolution along Marxist-Leninist lines will be necessary, because entrenched powers in our capitalist society will never effectively fight climate change because it would mean the end of the current economic system. The problems of biosphere collapse are manifold, and there's simply no answer that both leaves the world livable and our current socioeconomic system intact. We will need changes to our society of similar magnitude to the huge changes we are wreaking on the planet.

It's not a good answer, and I think it is far more likely that middling efforts will continue to be made as the problems multiply. Ultimately, this will lead to massively decreased production and CO2 output anyway, as large-scale integrated industrial civilization breaks down.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://twitter.com/Ant_Partnership/status/1659080928075939841

In other news Antarctic sea-ice is not in good shape. As some may remember, Antarctic sea-ice extent was actually increasing for a few years because changes in wind patterns pushed ice towards the continent, increasing the stability of the pack ice. Arctic sea-ice is hemmed in by all the land surrounding the Arctic Ocean, but Antarctic sea-ice is subject to the open Southern Ocean, so there's only a relatively narrow band of fast ice that forms, which is sensitive to wind patterns. Nonetheless, the atmospheric and ocean warming is overriding this big time now.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

cat botherer posted:

In all seriousness, something like a revolution along Marxist-Leninist lines will be necessary, because entrenched powers in our capitalist society will never effectively fight climate change because it would mean the end of the current economic system. The problems of biosphere collapse are manifold, and there's simply no answer that both leaves the world livable and our current socioeconomic system intact. We will need changes to our society of similar magnitude to the huge changes we are wreaking on the planet.

It's not a good answer, and I think it is far more likely that middling efforts will continue to be made as the problems multiply. Ultimately, this will lead to massively decreased production and CO2 output anyway, as large-scale integrated industrial civilization breaks down.

I do have news for you. There are entrenched powers and elites in Marxist-Leninist systems too.

That's pretty bad. Antarctica is going into winter besides. This chart measures the sea ice anomaly, not absolute coverage. Being winter I'm sure that the absolute coverage is still increasing, but sea ice forms a protective barrier around ice shelves. Melting sea ice does nothing to change sea level, but without it waves, currents, and storms are all much more destructive, and that will produce sea level rise

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I do have news for you. There are entrenched powers and elites in Marxist-Leninist systems too.

That's pretty bad. Antarctica is going into winter besides. This chart measures the sea ice anomaly, not absolute coverage. Being winter I'm sure that the absolute coverage is still increasing, but sea ice forms a protective barrier around ice shelves. Melting sea ice does nothing to change sea level, but without it waves, currents, and storms are all much more destructive, and that will produce sea level rise
Sea ice also helps to raise albedo, so reducing sea ice is yet another positive feedback on warming.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Historic Colorado River deal not enough to stave off long-term crisis, experts say
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/23/colorado-river-water-usage-deal-analysis

quote:

A hard-fought agreement between California, Arizona and Nevada to slash the states’ use of the shrinking Colorado River is only a temporary salve to a long-term water crisis that continues to threaten the foundations of life in the American west, experts have warned.

The deal, announced on Monday, between the three states that make up the lower portion of the sprawling Colorado basin will pare back 13% of water consumption from the beleaguered river over the next three years if adopted, averting the prospect of more stringent cuts imposed by the federal government. Backed by $1.2bn in federal funds, the bulk of the reductions are structured to encourage voluntary cuts taken by rights holders, in exchange for grant money.

The deal the Biden admin worked out between Colorado river basin states is better than nothing, but it will fall short. The funny thing is that if it were used less stupidly, there would be enough water even with climate change, but there's an insistence of growing things like alfalfa in the desert.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The thing with agreements like this is that the initial deal is usually the hardest part, and it is relatively much easier to amend it as time goes on because there is a framework in place. So it’s one of those things I’m cautiously optimistic about.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Slow News Day posted:

The thing with agreements like this is that the initial deal is usually the hardest part, and it is relatively much easier to amend it as time goes on because there is a framework in place. So it’s one of those things I’m cautiously optimistic about.
Yeah, it is a start, and it bodes positively for the water situation in the SW. That is by far the most positive I've been about any action the Biden admin has taken with respect to climate change. Compared to other areas, water conservation around there is easy. There's a long tail of high water-usage, low economic-value water users. Just getting rid of the dumbest poo poo solves the problem.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I was invited to a clubhouse (online voice chat app) panel, a group called “Understanding Climate Change.”

I knew it was going off the rails when one of the participants started talking about carbon sequestration from CO2 in ocean water that would create freshwater and generate electricity. The next clue was floating cities. Finally most novel climate, denial thing I’ve ever heard, they used some BS quantum mechanic explanation for why it really wasn’t a CEO to blame, but was the urban heat islands that were causing the problem.

At that point, I lost it because they weren’t letting me really say much, and I finally said I had an F-ing Ivy League physics degree and you guys are all full of crap and then I left.

I hate doing that appeal to authority, but this was a complete waste of time. It was when the more novel climate denying things I ever heard. Discussing how electrons are excited by photons and blah blah blah, and leading to some bizarre conclusion about greenhouse gases, not really mattering.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hey cat botherer.

This is the battery and semiconductor manufacturing.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Hey cat botherer.

This is the battery and semiconductor manufacturing.

They’re going to be big users, but it’s still a drop in the bucket compared to agricultural waste (either crops that are comically dumb to grow in a desert or underinvestment in water-saving systems like drip irrigation). They’re absolutely hosed still, don’t get me wrong. Nonetheless, it’s not quite as bad as a year ago, both before this deal and the semiconductor poo poo.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://twitter.com/william_volk/status/1666858024257093632?s=20

I'm going to look back on that game (I produced it) when stuff really goes off the rails and not enjoy it at all.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

VideoGameVet posted:

https://twitter.com/william_volk/status/1666858024257093632?s=20

I'm going to look back on that game (I produced it) when stuff really goes off the rails and not enjoy it at all.
Cool, I'll check out that game. Better keep it updated as everything continues to happen faster than expected. Speaking of which, North Atlantic sea surface temperatures are "lit":

https://twitter.com/WeatherProf/status/1666940759759630338

It's more dramatic in this plot:

That really strikes me as some bifurcation being hit.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Things are spiraling out of control rapidly, and we are still refusing to slam on the brakes in terms of emissions or general consumption. Completely unhinged behavior at a collective level.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What breaks would you hit? I'm serious, if you were in charge what would you do?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What breaks would you hit? I'm serious, if you were in charge what would you do?
Not speaking for TWT, but if I were the world dictator, go into a war-mode economy and focus almost completely on unfucking everyting. I imagine this is the point where you tell me that's dumb and it's not that bad?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Not really, I wouldn't be necessarily be opposed to similar things that happen in the United States when it was shifted to a command economy during World War II but combating climate change instead of Nazis. In theory, it's not a half bad idea.

But even then, like then what? What actual polices would you implement? Would we ban cars? Commercial air travel? Air conditioning? You'd also have to somehow stay in office AND get the rest of the world to get on board. How would that work?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Not really, I wouldn't be necessarily be opposed to similar things that happen in the United States when it was shifted to a command economy during World War II but combating climate change instead of Nazis. In theory, it's not a half bad idea.

But even then, like then what? What actual polices would you implement? Would we ban cars? Commercial air travel? Air conditioning? You'd also have to somehow stay in office AND get the rest of the world to get on board. How would that work?
Heavily discourage/almost ban personal cars. Huge public transit projects. Thousands of nuclear plants. Sorry, that's the kind of thing that's needed. It's not the answer you want to hear, but it's the truth. If that's not ever politically realistic (it's not now, and it may not ever be), we're hosed.

Our current system of production is not sustainable. We can either stop it voluntarily, and move to a better system without mass death and collapse. Or, we can keep doing what we're doing until the current system of production simply stops due to the Earth's physical constraints. Either way, things like personal automobiles, single-use plastics, and McMansions are going away. All of these things require massive resource consumption and social/productive complexity. Many civilizations have collapsed before, where high complexity socio-economic systems give way to smaller, localized, unspecialized production. We're not special now, and in fact we're in a worse situation.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
One of the most frustrating things is that many of the things we need to do would dramatically improve living conditions for many if not most people. Less time commuting, physical activity easier, big reduction in traffic deaths and pollution from cars.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

You'd also have to somehow stay in office AND get the rest of the world to get on board. How would that work?

Man, if only we had some kind of communication device that allowed us to stay home

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Vitamin Me posted:

Man, if only we had some kind of communication device that allowed us to stay home

Think he means politicians (unless that's the joke). I don't think democracy could save us, certainly not the one we've got.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Heavily discourage/almost ban personal cars. Huge public transit projects. Thousands of nuclear plants. Sorry, that's the kind of thing that's needed. It's not the answer you want to hear, but it's the truth. If that's not ever politically realistic (it's not now, and it may not ever be), we're hosed.

Our current system of production is not sustainable. We can either stop it voluntarily, and move to a better system without mass death and collapse. Or, we can keep doing what we're doing until the current system of production simply stops due to the Earth's physical constraints. Either way, things like personal automobiles, single-use plastics, and McMansions are going away. All of these things require massive resource consumption and social/productive complexity. Many civilizations have collapsed before, where high complexity socio-economic systems give way to smaller, localized, unspecialized production. We're not special now, and in fact we're in a worse situation.

I think you are making some enormous assumptions about me but to be absolutely clear you are entirely correct that the reduction of and to be absolutely specific near elimination of personal automobiles would be a extremely effective way to combat climate change. Even better than EVs. Hell, I would love if the whole world would had something like the Deutsche Bahn from Germany or Metropolitan Rapid Transit in Thailand.

Vitamin Me posted:

Remote work applies to maybe a third of the population. Globally, not everyone even has a computer or reliable internet. Even during lockdown, global emissions fell by only a few percent.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I think it's pretty easy and self-evident

1. You enact a massive carbon tax and the rationing of fossil fuels that would put the country on a 1.5°C path
2. When the population announces a general strike, you try to put it down with the loyal parts of the military and send the instigators to the camps
3. Civil war!
4. Country is completely devastated by the civil war and half the population is dead and you are now on a 1.4 °C path

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Yeah kinda read that wrong.

One policy I would enact as leader of the world is banning all fake poo poo from china and meaningless alibaba gadgets being shipped around everywhere. Also no more cruises

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

I think it's pretty easy and self-evident

1. You enact a massive carbon tax and the rationing of fossil fuels that would put the country on a 1.5°C path
2. When the population announces a general strike, you try to put it down with the loyal parts of the military and send the instigators to the camps
3. Civil war!
4. Country is completely devastated by the civil war and half the population is dead and you are now on a 1.4 °C path

So... Eco-Hitler? :godwinning:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At this point I'd take it over humanity slowly burning to death along with all the other species we've doomed

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

So... Eco-Hitler? :godwinning:
Eco-Stalin, not Eco-Hitler. The changes that need to happen are enormous. You seem to think its unnecessary or dumb or fascistic just because they're so huge. There seems to be a subtext of it being better to make middling changes - the prospect of needing such seismic shifts is grim, therefore they must not be necessary. It took a lot to get us to this point, it will take a lot to get out.

Uncontrolled climate change will induce huge migrations and all manner of social problems. That's the kind of situation where you get a regular Hitler.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Professor Beetus posted:

At this point I'd take it over humanity slowly burning to death along with all the other species we've doomed
With very severe climate change and general biosphere collapse that we're heading to, human extinction is not out of the range of possibilities in the very long term. Industrial civilization collapse would reduce our ability to adapt to changes. Things that we take for granted, like the Haber-Bosch process, become unworkable. Agriculture becomes unproductive and limited to far less land area - not just due to temperatures, but a confluence of that, drought, soil exhaustion and salinification, etc. Fisheries go into total collapse. A vicious cycle ensues.

In the past, societies have confronted less severe climate change, and issues like soil loss. There has always been the fallback of decreased social and material complexity to reach a new stable regime. In severe cases, sometimes this has meant reversion to hunter-gatherer situations. There would be no such option under severe climate change. You need things to hunt or gather to be a hunter-gatherer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
My initial list would be:

1. Ban private aircraft. No more rich people flying all over the place willy nilly. Everyone takes commercial airlines if they want to fly somewhere.
2. Implement new pricing scheme for commercial flights whereby the price doubles with every trip that year. First trip is regular price, then it starts to double, and the tax money that's generated from that is put into a federal fund that sends checks to every citizen regularly on a sliding scale based on income level. This allows people to take flights once a year to see family and whatnot, but severely discourages additional flights, and also ensures that lower income people who are most affected by climate change receive some sort of direct compensation.
3. Build HSR along (or maybe even over) every interstate highway. Once these are built, you would see a ton of voluntary reduction in private car usage.
4. Allocate federal funds to create a massive subsidy program that aggressively rewards cities for reducing the number of cars on their roads. That way every city can decide how they want to accomplish that.
5. Immediately cease all oil and gas drilling projects. Order existing wells to be decommissioned within five years.
6. Order all coal power plants shut down within three years. Allocate federal funds to replace that power generation with solar and wind.

etcetera