Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

ThinkTank posted:

I guess Columbus are suddenly all in? This is not the summer I expected from them.

Oh no I don't have a world class RD to go with my world class players at literally every other imaginable position *tears begin to fill up several Stanley Cups*

Haha trap sprung, nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This is gonna end with them getting stuck with one of the flyers righties

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Severson is a very good player that gets a bad rap because he’s especially prone to the Big Mistake. The Devils had so much righty depth that they could crush soft minutes with him. When he makes a mistake, it’s often extremely obvious and extremely funny. Great get for your second pairing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

Haha trap sprung, nerd.

The Canucks have spent the entirety of my lifetime hunting for an RD and the best they've ever come up with are Sami Salo, Chris Tanev and Kevin Bieksa. Also you know, no cups.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Devils get a third (#80).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Not a bad price to pay for probably the top UFA on the market.

Feels like a bad summer to be swinging for the fences with how weak the UFA market is. All trades are gonna have that premium on them. I guess that's why Jarmo is starting super early. When was the last time we had two significant trades before the SCF was done?

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 9, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hand Knit posted:

Is this something people were expecting to happen? I don't remember T-bone talking about it:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1667161155251367937?s=20

There was talk of this the other day, but I didn't post it itt because I couldn't tell if it was dead after the Provorov deal.

E- Jarmo is officially playing EA NHL Franchise Mode knowing he may only play one more season before moving on to another game.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 9, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

E- Jarmo is officially playing EA NHL Franchise Mode knowing he may only play one more season before moving on to another game.

Ah yes the Jim Benning summer 2021 approach that went so so well.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Devils get a third (#80).

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1667164267378884609

This is the third acquired as part of the Oliver Bjorkstrand trade to Seattle. So at the cost of losing him, Columbus gained Johnny Gaudreau and Damon Severson.

e-
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1667162707299115012

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

How is that a class defence? They added two middle of the road second pairing guys which allows them to shelter Gudbranson. It's changed and improved, but to at best just below league average if Jiricek hits his potential. The Jackets had the 2nd wost expected goals against in the league last year. They averaged 4.01 goals against per game. Why do people so often conflate "changed things" with "dramatically improved things?"

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
$10 million in cap 'to round out the group', all right handed, smells like another trade's coming.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Because it's their job and spreadsheets are for idiot nerds now get into the locker we're finishing 6th in the Metro baby *fires cannon*

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

How is that a class defence? They added two middle of the road second pairing guys which allows them to shelter Gudbranson. It's changed and improved, but to at best just below league average if Jiricek hits his potential. The Jackets had the 2nd wost expected goals against in the league last year. They averaged 4.01 goals against per game. Why do people so often conflate "changed things" with "dramatically improved things?"

It's Frank Seravalli, he sensationalizes everything for the click through, except he's not actually linking anything. Mostly I think they just try to make it exciting for everyone, when it's only going to be interesting to Columbus fans.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jhet posted:

It's Frank Seravalli, he sensationalizes everything for the click through, except he's not actually linking anything. Mostly I think they just try to make it exciting for everyone, when it's only going to be interesting to Columbus fans.

It reminds me of HFBoards posts from like 2007

"just imagine three years from now:

Mason Raymond - Ryan Kesler - Michael Grabner
Sergei Shirokov - Patrick White - Juraj Simek

Daaaamn future lookin bright!"

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Gudbranson having one “good” season under Sutter when he was heavily sheltered and then getting that contract from Columbus is so funny

$4.5mil bottom pairing d

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Gudbranson having one “good” season under Sutter when he was heavily sheltered and then getting that contract from Columbus is so funny

$4.5mil bottom pairing d

He is not an NHL quality player and hasn't been at any point in his career. If he was 3" shorter and 3 points uglier he'd have been an AHL lifer.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bro what is Columbus doing

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Heh yeah Gudbransons contract is really funny.

*waits patiently for 3x3 for Luke Schenn to be announced*

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Bro what is Columbus doing

A desperate man is trying to save his job

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Those feel like two solid second pairs, although I wouldn't trust either of those pairings against top lines. Good for Severson for cashing in, he had a fantastic (if sheltered) year.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Jarmo thinks this roster is fundamentally better than what the league thinks and/or knows he is getting fired in the next year or two if they aren't a playoff team, so gently caress it I guess. But I do like the signing and am happy to watch a competitive-ish team instead of another rebuild. Maybe Babcock will waterboard forwards after every game until they start backchecking.

None of this matters at all if they don't unfuck Elvis or find a goalie.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It sure feels like they're guaranteed to take Carlsson in the draft. I feel like you don't make those moves and take a college player or a guy who may not come over for 4-5 years.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

ThinkTank posted:

He is not an NHL quality player and hasn't been at any point in his career. If he was 3" shorter and 3 points uglier he'd have been an AHL lifer.

This league loves the shine of a former 3rd overall pick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

It sure feels like they're guaranteed to take Carlsson in the draft. I feel like you don't make those moves and take a college player or a guy who may not come over for 4-5 years.

Carlsson is probably going to play at least one more year in Sweden but from what I understand his game is well rounded enough that he could come over straight away. He's the obvious pick for Columbus who desperately need a future 1C. Michkov is going to slip considerably and shouldn't be a consideration for them at all.

We need a draft thread.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

So does this mean NJ has more cap right now to negotiate with Bratt and Meier? Or does it make no difference?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

So does this mean NJ has more cap right now to negotiate with Bratt and Meier? Or does it make no difference?

From a cap perspective today it means nothing, you can exceed the cap in the summer by up to 10%. Any extension is being negotiated under next seasons cap as Meier and Bratt are under contract until June 30th when the calendar cycles for the league. I don't think it makes a significant difference for next year wither because it never seemed like Severson was in their long term plans. This was just New Jersey getting something in return for a guy who was going to leave anyways.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

From a cap perspective today it means nothing, you can exceed the cap in the summer by up to 10%. Any extension is being negotiated under next seasons cap as Meier and Bratt are under contract until June 30th when the calendar cycles for the league. I don't think it makes a significant difference for next year wither because it never seemed like Severson was in their long term plans. This was just New Jersey getting something in return for a guy who was going to leave anyways.

That makes sense, thanks. Severson was as good as gone with Hughes playing so well anyway, so it's just getting a nice draft pick instead of nothing. Solid move by Fitz.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

Carlsson is probably going to play at least one more year in Sweden but from what I understand his game is well rounded enough that he could come over straight away. He's the obvious pick for Columbus who desperately need a future 1C. Michkov is going to slip considerably and shouldn't be a consideration for them at all.

We need a draft thread.

Michkov should be a consideration for everyone after #2, and probably should be the guy to take, but yeah I agree that they won't take him. Smith is probably 2-3 years away as well, although talent wise he's right there with Carlsson.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

severson was underrated by devils fans but I guess they were never gonna sign him with luke and nemec coming up. hope he does well in columbus

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Columbus sure seems like they should trade 3rd overall for a guy like Elias Lindholm right now

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

that said he is definitely gonna piss you off once every few games by doing something like this

https://twitter.com/DevRickus/status/1667167165961609222?t=vFnClSSDVbMe2ZObzqagew&s=19

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Please leave money available to take Kevin Hayes tia

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Severson reminds me of Jake Gardiner a little bit, talented guy who drives play and always comes out ahead in aggregate but commits the kind of errors that make fans absolutely hate a player far beyond what's reasonable (and, honestly, probably does actually devalue the possession and soft stats a bit).

Babcock played the crap out of Gardiner on the Leafs, so he may be able to overlook the foibles if Severson doesn't magically overhaul his decision-making in the offseason.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Severson will be very good on the second-pairing. Don’t ask him to punch above that.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Marklar posted:

Please leave money available to take Kevin Hayes tia
:hmmyes:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
One day, maybe, an owner will finally figure out that you should fire your underachieving GM before he wrecks your franchise for the next five years in a desperate and doomed effort to save his job.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I mean, maybe, Columbus is being weirdly ambitious but they haven't really sacrificed anything of worth and the players they have gotten are pretty good. Severson got a few too many years but the value is about right.

The real danger is probably instead of being really bad and getting a shot at Celebrini/Eiserman they might move to like Vancouver territory and be a perennial 9th-12th place team for the next few years. They need to be like the Devils and add offseason players and still be historically bad/lucky enough to get a franchise player(s).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 9, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Feels weird to see all these trades while the Finals are still being played

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I like what Columbus is doing. They have been near the bottom of the league for years and have a great pool of prospects. They are now going to probably add Carlsson to that pool (or Will Smith). I don't think they are a playoff team this year, but I like that they are trying to build a better team around their prospects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

grack posted:

Feels weird to see all these trades while the Finals are still being played
Weird but awesome.