Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Hoping next week's update is just a repeat of Gog-Agog no-selling Jagganoth's deathbeam, but with Allison being the one to vaporize and then reform instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
lol is she going to resist his attacks and then annoy him into submission

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

You don’t know anything from Jadis’ predictions because she doesn’t choose what to say about them either.
Also this is suffering! It’s possibly even failure! That’s all Jadis talked about.

Plus does Allison strike you as the type to remember that someone said she wasn’t going to die immediately, at the moment her spine has been severed?

Yeah that's probably true. I suppose we can't even put stock in everything Jadis saying being correct as it depends on the status quo not changing. Allison's response to Jadis did end up being "gently caress this" so maybe she'll punch the future so hard it won't happen

Regardless, I think the central message of this all is that since violence always begets violence, the only way to actually break the wheel is through healing and creation. The true power was the friends we made along the way! But, like, unironically.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, turns out Allison's been wormed since the beginning of the tournament arc

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kalli posted:

Yeah, turns out Allison's been wormed since the beginning of the tournament arc

Honestly, I'd accept that as a neat (but unlikely) twist at this point - she's been Gog-Agoged this whole time, but was too dumb/powerful to realize it and has been able to stay herself.

But, like, that said, there's no good reason she shouldn't have the same healing/reforming powers Gog has.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I just want my pal Gog-Agog back. The old mean lady is gone, come back, your friends need your help!

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Kalli posted:

I just want my pal Gog-Agog back. The old mean lady is gone, come back, your friends need your help!

*your pals

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Gog-Agog may be gone (from the comic), but she lives on inside every single one of us (our bodies).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

(Also the fact that Allison knows she can't die here due to Jadis' prediction.)

What better way to break infinity than to die before the time that was pre-ordained by the omniscient entity?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jadis is still and will always be correct and truthful in everything she said, what matters now is what Alison does with that truth

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm reminded of the fact that Cio has been the sole person that taught Allison to use her power to create instead of destroy, despite that always being the actual intended use of the power she has.

(Also the fact that Allison knows she can't die here due to Jadis' prediction.)

does that mean Allison is going to solicit Maya for sex after recovering from the Cut

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

RocketMermaid posted:

Allison is going to proposition Maya for sex after recovering from the Cut

:eng101:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Maya’s last line of questioning there reminds me of so many discussions of Yisun and Zoss.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"People die when they're killed" yeah maybe if they're losers

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Allison's being really uncooperative and kind of bitchy right now but to be fair there really isn't any good answer to this question (is it -the- question actually?).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
'But what is dying, actually? I never had trouble with it' - Zoss, maybe.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Watch as with the Key of Kings and Furious Dumbassery combined, Alison just nopes off the Sword of Maybe. Maya's all smug and pointing out that you don't need an infinite sword if you're too drat stubborn to die.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Schrodinger's Death Cut. Let's loving GOOO!!!!!!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i feel like the colors framing allison in the last panels make it pretty clear what’s about to happen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So. Is that The Question?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Trebuchet King posted:

i feel like the colors framing allison in the last panels make it pretty clear what’s about to happen.

She's going to grow into two Allisons?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If it's not something that could conceivably make you have an existential crisis and flee in terror simply by hearing it, it is not The Question.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's a pretty good candidate, especially because it's exactly the sort of thing a sword dork like demiurge maya would try to argue for a bit until it sank in

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Jagganoth, I've come to bargain

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And YISUN smiled in the fifth way and said in reply "お前はもう死んでいる"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

If it's not something that could conceivably make you have an existential crisis and flee in terror simply by hearing it, it is not The Question.

Hmm, it wouldn't work on just anyone. But it would work on Maya. Maya didn't kill the rat, Incubus did. Incubus only cared about winning - Meti told him to kill a rat, so he did, because this would help him become a great swordsman. Maya hesitated, because the rat was innocent and she felt its life should be spared. Meti taught her that the only way to stop a bad guy with a sword is a good guy with a sword.
And, in the long run, Meti taught her what the good guy with a sword becomes.

This is why Maya was Meti's real student, and not Incubus. Incubus was an ideal heir to carry on Meti's legacy of swordsmanship. Maya was the heir to Meti's paradox, and this is now what she's imparting to Allison.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Hmm, it wouldn't work on just anyone. But it would work on Maya. Maya didn't kill the rat, Incubus did. Incubus only cared about winning - Meti told him to kill a rat, so he did, because this would help him become a great swordsman. Maya hesitated, because the rat was innocent and she felt its life should be spared. Meti taught her that the only way to stop a bad guy with a sword is a good guy with a sword.
And, in the long run, Meti taught her what the good guy with a sword becomes.

This is why Maya was Meti's real student, and not Incubus. Incubus was an ideal heir to carry on Meti's legacy of swordsmanship. Maya was the heir to Meti's paradox, and this is now what she's imparting to Allison.

Or maybe it doesn't matter, because maybe someone cuts you and you die, or they don't; it's not like you have that choice

Except on whether you really think you should die or not

Victis fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 9, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

There Bias Two posted:

She's going to grow into two Allisons?

Maya: "Huh. That's a new one."

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

“well drat nice cut though I don’t think you are that much of a hot poo poo if you can’t kill that stinkboi”

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YaketySass posted:

Allison's being really uncooperative and kind of bitchy right now but to be fair there really isn't any good answer to this question (is it -the- question actually?).

I think the text at the bottom is a hint: Maya's observation that "the tools of liberation are the same as those of oppression," while correct, misattributes blame. There's no escaping responsibility by abstaining from power or remaining ignorant.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

YaketySass posted:

Sure there is. The question is a pretty juvenile false dichotomy that fails to recognize that swords can and historically have beaten into plowshares.

No peace won this way is permanent because no peace is permanent ever, but you absolutely can go and win peace again with incredible violence and subsequently beat those swords to plowshares. There's nothing fundamentally preventing any willing person from working in this way.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Potato Salad posted:

Sure there is. The question is a pretty juvenile false dichotomy that fails to recognize that swords can and historically have beaten into plowshares.

No peace won this way is permanent because no peace is permanent ever, but you absolutely can go and win peace again with incredible violence and subsequently beat those swords to plowshares. There's nothing fundamentally preventing any willing person from working in this way.

none of those supposed peaces left a society free of violence. the same people who started the war remain on top after still enacting violence to maintain control!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Meti appears to be obsessed with the impermanence of peace, which prevents her from accepting the legitimacy of peace won via violence (as opposed to other means, when available).

Each of these powerful characters has some weird obsession in their worldview and I guess that Meti and Maya share a mental glitch where they can't get over the fact that bad things do randomly happen to good people and that peace isn't permanent, but requires work (and, often, violence or the credible threat of violence).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

jsoh posted:

none of those supposed peaces left a society free of violence. the same people who started the war remain on top after still enacting violence to maintain control!

-NYT Pitchbot

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the comic's foremost practitioner of "peace through violence" is jagganoth, who is taking the philosophy to its logical conclusion by slaughtering everything up to and including abstract concepts

this story is not your twitter feed

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nah.

If you can't see the difference between swords to plowshares and hyperbolic universal omnicide, I can't help you.

Or, like, if you think one is a slippery slope to the other, again I can't help you.

Feel like I need to emphasize the element here where this is how much of history has actually panned out, including a bevy stable and prosperous societies.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 9, 2023

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

the comic's foremost practitioner of "peace through violence" is jagganoth, who is taking the philosophy to its logical conclusion by slaughtering everything up to and including abstract concepts

this story is not your twitter feed

I mean he's right in that in THIS existence, there will always be violence, but that's not an excuse to scrap it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Swords sure can be beaten into plowshares, but historically the people who are best at using swords tend not to do that once they are at the top (works of fiction notwithstanding). In that sense Meti's conclusion that swords are stupid tools for idiots is pretty understandable.

If this actually is The Question that Meti asked to Dark Cloud, it would be pretty funny for Allison to both no-sell the cut and the question itself by calling Maya out after she recombobulates herself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Nah.

If you can't see the difference between swords to plowshares and hyperbolic universal omnicide, I can't help you.

Or, like, if you think one is a slippery slope to the other, again I can't help you.

Feel like I need to emphasize the element here where this is how much of history has actually panned out, including a bevy stable and prosperous societies.

Most of those stable and prosperous societies are propped up by violence against an oppressed underclass.

Sure, there have been plenty of societies which aren't. Historically, they tend to become the oppressed underclass of those that are, if they're not outright exterminated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This page goes hard as gently caress.