Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

cat botherer posted:

Eco-Stalin, not Eco-Hitler. The changes that need to happen are enormous. You seem to think its unnecessary or dumb or fascistic just because they're so huge. There seems to be a subtext of it being better to make middling changes - the prospect of needing such seismic shifts is grim, therefore they must not be necessary. It took a lot to get us to this point, it will take a lot to get out.

Uncontrolled climate change will induce huge migrations and all manner of social problems. That's the kind of situation where you get a regular Hitler.

Eco-Stalin is awfully unappealing but I'd be quite okay and supportive of some kind of Eco-FDR or Eco-Truman. You again keep making some wild assumption but to be absolutely clear I do believe we need fundamental changes to our way of life or humanity is indeed going to hit a hard brick wall and it's going to hurt. A lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Yeah we basically know what the answers are, but at least it's so fun to have to explain them again, and again, and again. We know what to do, we just need the will to do it - avoiding the motivated reasoning of e.g. the Biden Admin or certain people ITT.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Eco-Stalin is awfully unappealing but I'd be quite okay and supportive of some kind of Eco-FDR or Eco-Truman. You again keep making some wild assumption but to be absolutely clear I do believe we need fundamental changes to our way of life or humanity is indeed going to hit a hard brick wall and it's going to hurt. A lot.
What "wild" assumptions am I making, pray tell?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That I think the changes are required are dumb or unnecessary. They absolutely are necessary I just think it's politically impossible.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Vote.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

That I think the changes are required are dumb or unnecessary. They absolutely are necessary I just think it's politically impossible.
Yeah, they may be. However, it's not a contradiction to say something is both necessary to the continued existence of something, and impossible. It just means that the continued existence of that thing is impossible.

It is politically impossible now, and it probably will continue to be politically impossible until far too late. However, there is a chance. This small chance requires the overthrow of the current political-economic system. The capitalist power structures we have are incapable of taking necessary steps without effectively ceding their own power, which will never happen voluntarily. As late capitalism's flailings worsen under its contradictions, this will happen eventually. However, the replacement could just as easily be something like some kind of neo-feudalism and result in no improvement.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 9, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Not with Eco-Stalin in charge though!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I think another critical aspect is that emission have largely peaked or are pretty damned close to doing so over the next decade despite our current economic system of capitalism. Catastrophic nightmare scenarios of RCP 8.5 are no longer feasible. Granted, it's still really bad.

I also don't agree that a shift to a different economic system is a silver bullet. Command economics have had plenty of awful environmental catastrophes.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

So... Eco-Hitler? :godwinning:

Yeah, or just Hitler. He did manage to reduce Germany's carbon emissions to almost zero in only 6 years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, or just Hitler. He did manage to reduce Germany's carbon emissions to almost zero in only 6 years.
He also built the Autobahn though which significantly contributes to the transportation emissions nowadays.

Pretty conflicting fella, is what I'm saying.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I think another critical aspect is that emission have largely peaked or are pretty damned close to doing so over the next decade despite our current economic system of capitalism. Catastrophic nightmare scenarios of RCP 8.5 are no longer feasible. Granted, it's still really bad.

I also don't agree that a shift to a different economic system is a silver bullet. Command economics have had plenty of awful environmental catastrophes.
Such nightmare scenarios are very much still on the table. While we aren't emitting like RCP 8.5, previously unknown feedbacks and tipping points more than make up the difference. The Earth's system is much more sensitive than thought a few years ago. That's also just talking about the warming, specifically. That is one problem among many.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not sure if we could get 2.0°C out of Eco-Stalin, but we would certainly get some cool rear end luxury dachas with golden toilets and private zoos and rivers that are 20% phenol by volume out of it. Maybe even one or two of those famous cannibal islands. After all, if there is one thing politicians are famous for it is to be incredibly uncorrupt once you remove all checks and balances/separation of powers and oversight through an independent press.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

Yeah, they may be. However, it's not a contradiction to say something is both necessary to the continued existence of something, and impossible. It just means that the continued existence of that thing is impossible.

It is politically impossible now, and it probably will continue to be politically impossible until far too late. However, there is a chance. This small chance requires the overthrow of the current political-economic system. The capitalist power structures we have are incapable of taking necessary steps without effectively ceding their own power, which will never happen voluntarily. As late capitalism's flailings worsen under its contradictions, this will happen eventually. However, the replacement could just as easily be something like some kind of neo-feudalism and result in no improvement.

I'm not sure I agree with this part. Capitalism is primarily about greed (IMHO), and it's totally possible to exploit that to achieve the goals and ends we need, even on a mass scale. If stuff like the CHIPS Act and the Inflation Reduction Act are able to cause a manufacturing and green energy boom in a matter of mere months (because corporation wants a piece of the pie) then similar things should be possible for say building a nation-wide high-speed rail network.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I don't think capitalism is really the problem. There's this idea that capitalism is forcing us to behave in this way so if we just get rid of it we'll all be better. Personally I think our species is just kinda lovely. Technology enables our worst impulses and capitalism serves them but ultimately the issue is our values.

People want to drive cars and live in houses and fly on vacation. I see no reason why we would stop wanting that just because our economic system is different. Across time and cultures humans have always desired material possessions and comfort. If we were a different species maybe we'd prefer to learn, experience or work less when we have accumulated excess wealth but mostly we just consume more.

Perhaps a system of government which is not beholden to the wills of electorates which implies authoritarianism but even then you still rely on some support to stay in power so you would not, in fact, have unlimited power. In any case the people that end up on top could have any conceivable set of values.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Such nightmare scenarios are very much still on the table. While we aren't emitting like RCP 8.5, previously unknown feedbacks and tipping points more than make up the difference. The Earth's system is much more sensitive than thought a few years ago. That's also just talking about the warming, specifically. That is one problem among many.

Eh, I don't know if I necessarily agree with that entirely but the way I look at it is that if you live in a relatively stable wealthly democracy things will probably be fine. And when I say fine, I mean fine in the in way when your significant other responds to you when you ask them how they are doing kind of way. Things actually aren't fine but you are still in a relationship.

And do not live next to a body of water. Just don't. And many of the so called tipping points even if hit would unfold over large timescales over centuries. Hell, we could have even already hit them with our current levels of warming but that is no excuse to not reduce emissions.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this part. Capitalism is primarily about greed (IMHO), and it's totally possible to exploit that to achieve the goals and ends we need, even on a mass scale. If stuff like the CHIPS Act and the Inflation Reduction Act are able to cause a manufacturing and green energy boom in a matter of mere months (because corporation wants a piece of the pie) then similar things should be possible for say building a nation-wide high-speed rail network.

The Brightline in Florida while not true high-speed rail is still freaking impressive. Hell, the recent developments in California with high-speed rail while extremely slow moving will become a reality around 2030.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I don’t think the changes necessary are impossible anymore.

We just tripled US manufacturing construction in a single year. Large rapid changes are possible.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Those changes are still not at all enough to keep climate change under 1.5C.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Correct

But it’s possible to make large changes rapidly. We just aren’t choosing to.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

The Brightline in Florida while not true high-speed rail is still freaking impressive. Hell, the recent developments in California with high-speed rail while extremely slow moving will become a reality around 2030.
So I checked how Brightline is doing and... the train looks completely empty lol. Do people actually use it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz9y84oJv0E

They'll run out of money very quickly at this rate which I'm afraid is a challenge for almost any rail project in the US since the destinations are all sprawling with poo poo public transport.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I've seen people getting on in Fort Lauderdale shoulder-to-shoulder. And why not? Florida traffic, especially after the pandemic with all the East Coaster coming down now that remote work is the norm is freaking awful.

But I do know they had serious issue with revenue during the pandemic since ridership feel but as a service it's pretty damned good.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm not sure if we could get 2.0°C out of Eco-Stalin, but we would certainly get some cool rear end luxury dachas with golden toilets and private zoos and rivers that are 20% phenol by volume out of it. Maybe even one or two of those famous cannibal islands. After all, if there is one thing politicians are famous for it is to be incredibly uncorrupt once you remove all checks and balances/separation of powers and oversight through an independent press.

Doesn’t seem like our “checks and balances” or the so-called independent press we have now is making much of a dent in corruption, anyways. Politicians mostly do what they want so long as it doesn’t threaten other politicians or their wealthy donors. Anyways, what do you think should be done to address the crisis?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Correct

But it’s possible to make large changes rapidly. We just aren’t choosing to.

We can consume more which is what we're doing. The question is if we can build our way out of this or we will have to reduce consumption and how people would respond to that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

UKJeff posted:

Doesn’t seem like our “checks and balances” or the so-called independent press we have now is making much of a dent in corruption, anyways. Politicians mostly do what they want so long as it doesn’t threaten other politicians or their wealthy donors. Anyways, what do you think should be done to address the crisis?

That's a really odd thing to say, especially given today's news.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
We've been riding capitalism straight into a climate Armageddon and we will still pretend it's the best ideology we've tried or can even imagine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Adenoid Dan posted:

We've been riding capitalism straight into a climate Armageddon and we will still pretend it's the best ideology we've tried or can even imagine.
Well state communism or whatever you want to call it wasn't any better for the environment as we've seen.

Fundamentally people will resist anything they'll perceive as getting in the way of more/better stuff for them. You have to either convince them or go all :hitler:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mobby_6kl posted:

Well state communism or whatever you want to call it wasn't any better for the environment as we've seen.

Fundamentally people will resist anything they'll perceive as getting in the way of more/better stuff for them. You have to either convince them or go all :hitler:

I think hypothetically it's much more likely that state communism would be better at combating climate change. The only way capitalism can do this is by providing enough government incentives to private industry and funding its own expansive programs, and imo it's kind of a wash because you'd essentially have to transform American capitalism into something that greatly resembles a big ol command economy to do that. The differences at that point would be semantic.

What the Soviet Union did 70 years ago wrt industrialization does not seem like a particularly good comparison for what a state economy could hypothetically do to combat climate change in 2023.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

He also built the Autobahn though which significantly contributes to the transportation emissions nowadays.

Pretty conflicting fella, is what I'm saying.

Although they were controversial for the time, he did have some good ideas

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/driving-herr-hitler/article1036977/ posted:

He "insisted . . . that the speed at which they drive should allow them to pull up in time under any circumstances." He put the onus on his drivers to drive defensively, for he did not want his driver to kill a child running onto the street. And a slow-moving car did not splash waving Germans or choke bicyclists with dust.

After the funeral of Viktor Lutze, the leader of the Sturm Abteilung brownshirts who died in a car accident in early May of 1943, Hitler reprimanded the top Nazi leaders for speeding. Propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels entered a special note in his diary on May 7: "The Fuhrer was extremely outspoken and was not sparing in reproaches." Hitler instructed that "all cars of party members must cut down the speed to 50 [kilometres an hour]" The overbearing paternalism was probably difficult for the mostly First World War veterans to swallow. But they did. In short, Hitler ordered them to drive just as his driver did.

We know that 50 km/h was his cruising speed, because Nazi architect Albert Speer recorded that Hitler -- who he called "my catalyst" -- had told him just that in 1933. "Schreck was the best driver . . . and our supercharger [Mercedes Benz]is good for over 100 [km/h] But in recent years, I've told Schreck not to drive over 50." The dictator's reasoning was: "How terrible if something had happened to me."

Similarly, Hitler opposed the high performance demanded of newer vehicles and argued that all military vehicles, from the field-kitchen truck to the ambulance and reconnaissance car, have a speed of between 10 and 20 km/h. Army vehicles, thought Hitler, needed power but not speed. After reading Henry Ford's book about the U.S. car industry, Hitler believed he had developed a unique insight into the motor engine and its effective usage. His court secretaries and top officials of 1937-45 knew better than to challenge him.

That's all I can think of that wasn't terrible though

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 10, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

GABA ghoul posted:

I think it's pretty easy and self-evident

1. You enact a massive carbon tax and the rationing of fossil fuels that would put the country on a 1.5°C path
2. When the population announces a general strike, you try to put it down with the loyal parts of the military and send the instigators to the camps
3. Civil war!
4. Country is completely devastated by the civil war and half the population is dead and you are now on a 1.4 °C path

Cows.

Less of them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

VideoGameVet posted:

Cows.

Less of them.

I will do my part and eat as many of them as possible.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I will do my part and eat as many of them as possible.

... and one of the largest sources of greenhouse gases never gets mentioned by most of the environmental groups. It's on a par with transport.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I think economics and how it's looked at is a problem in itself. It's not a proper science. And it has faar to much influence on the world despite having many severe limitations. In fact someone wrote a book about the harm done to society by economists and here he is being interviewed by Mark Blyth, highly recommended. Economics needs to revamped as a science, right now it's more like a religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6_pKlNJGw

I think the youtube channel unlearning economics is also a good watch, it's by a british economist.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

... and one of the largest sources of greenhouse gases never gets mentioned by most of the environmental groups. It's on a par with transport.

The FAO have found animal agriculture is responsible for between 14.5% (a 2013 study), 18% (a 2006 study), and 21% (a 2021 study) of total human emissions.

If you aren't vegan you aren't even doing the basics to stop catastrophic climate change... eating dead animals is like on par with voting for Republicans.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
At least beef and pork, the water usage and emissions from those 2 are catastrophic and also they're way too smart to be food

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
please continue to take individual actions to attempt to mitigate the emissions of 7 8 billion people

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

redleader posted:

please continue to take individual actions to attempt to mitigate the emissions of 7 8 billion people

What if I told you those 8 billion people were all capable of taking individual actions

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

redleader posted:

Do you vote?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Failed Imagineer posted:

At least beef and pork, the water usage and emissions from those 2 are catastrophic and also they're way too smart to be food

Jesus China is in trouble then. Out here those are in every meal.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Beefeater1980 posted:

Jesus China is in trouble then. Out here those are in every meal.

Yes, this is well understood to be a huge problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

What if I told you those 8 billion people were all capable of taking individual actions

like converting from rice or bread and excessive variety of fruit and vege to cassava? If you are worried about land use, water and really want to save GHG's. then cassava, nuts (for protein) and supplements are king!

The residue of casava is commercially used for biofuel production as well so each person you convince to stop eating rice and making every meal casava and supplement is another liter of fuel for a ship or plane!