Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

god please help me posted:

I have no idea what events this is referring to.

A russian tourist got attacked by a shark in Egypt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Russian guy got eaten by a shark in Egypt and Ukrainians find it a great victory for some reason

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

A Russian guy was eaten by a shark off the coast of Egypt in well-known shark infested waters by a shark that had eaten multiple people at that very same spot in previous weeks, yet for some reason the beach was allowed to remain open and the shark got another meal.

People are making memes about it because the guy was russian, more or less.

Also, speaking of Russians, they very nearly killed a special someone in Kherson today:

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

A Russian guy was eaten by a shark off the coast of Egypt in well-known shark infested waters by a shark that had eaten multiple people at that very same spot in previous weeks, yet for some reason the beach was allowed to remain open and the shark got another meal.

People are making memes about it because the guy was russian, more or less.

Well, presumably less now.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Starting to see a few videos filtering out from Ukrainians, not much of note because of course it's all carefully curated propaganda footage but it backs up the messaging we've been seeing as well at least, so the propaganda remains consistent and that's usually a sign of stability in ongoing operations. It's when your propagandists get all confused and arguing with each other that you can infer something has gone wrong.

The videos coming out now are selected to focus on several things in particular: Russian tanks fleeing from Western tanks (have seen numerous videos of different T-72/T-80 variants actively retreating from Leopard-2s, no Challenger videos yet though that I'm aware of), fleeing mobik infantry (drone videos of what looked like a company sized unit routing and abandoning trenches), and captured POWs for the exchange fund. The Ukrainian unit-level telegram channels are reporting similarly and when they do update, the captured villages are proceeding towards Tokmak. The narrative trying to be painted here is one of breakthrough, clearly. How much is substance and how much is smoke remains to be seen of course

E: bonus bruised girkin

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 9, 2023

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
More fish crimes:

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1666913237940736000

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol at the photo at the end, dude was just out fishing on the riverbank nbd

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
A little bit about Lukashenka planning to invade but the army refused

quote:

Lukashenka's regime was preparing a ground invasion of Ukraine, but failed to persuade the army.

In December, all combat-ready units of the Republic of Belarus army were at the border and began to ask many questions to the command, saying why the Ukrainian people suddenly became an enemy.

For almost a week, the KGB authorities blackmailed, intimidated, talked to the military - it did nothing. And then they reported to the top management that the Belarusian army is not ready to conduct combat operations in Ukraine, said the founder of the Belarusian airborne assault group in the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Valery Sakhashchyk

Another look at the massive flooding on the lower Dnipro:

https://imgur.com/ID4oBDP

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 9, 2023

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

mobby_6kl posted:

A russian tourist got attacked by a shark in Egypt

I saw a documentary about this. The whole thing a really lovely result of an unfortunate tourist attraction business, where people scuba dived with tourists and used meat to attract the sharks. The sharks learned that there's easy meat available whenever humans are in water. Those attractions got shut down hard, but sharks can live for a few decades.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

thekeeshman posted:

Mods please change my name to "Skeet Warhead"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Why is it such a big deal that some western tank was damaged?

Did I miss Ukraine challenging Russia to a 1v1 tank duel to decide the fate of the war or something

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Did I miss Ukraine challenging Russia to a 1v1 tank duel to decide the fate of the war or something

mostly the same reason we cheer every time Ukraine blows a hyper sonic missile out of the air; basically "So much for your super weapon eh?"

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Something something battletech trial of posession batchall something dishonourable something

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HKR posted:

mostly the same reason we cheer every time Ukraine blows a hyper sonic missile out of the air; basically "So much for your super weapon eh?"

basically

That said the standards for W's that the pro-war Russian side are grasping for are understandably a lot lower

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Russians tend to view their own weapons like the Armata as "WonderWeapons" that are so powerful they can instantly end the war.
They tend to believe everyone else thinks this way too, so defeating a Leopard means that the western WonderWeapon was defeated, thus all of the west has fallen.

This is one of the reasons they don't put the Armata on the front lines - the loss of one would be catastrophic to morale.

[edit] akin to the Khinzal vs Patriot think, "OUR WONDERWEAPON VS THEIRS".

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Runa posted:

basically

That said the standards for W's that the pro-war Russian side are grasping for are understandably a lot lower

Yeah to put it into context the Russians were making the same amount of noise about blowing up a real Leopard 2 that they made about blowing up a John Deere combine. Kinda sad

Doccers posted:

This is one of the reasons they don't put the Armata on the front lines - the loss of one would be catastrophic to morale.

That and the 10 they managed to build are so poo poo that the tank crews wish to be in anything but an armata

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Because being able to extrapolate "Ukraine is FAILING at its COUNTER OFFENSIVE and LOSING BIGLY" is a completely fine stance to take because you saw a photo, therefore you're justified and definitely not desperate to roundabout jerk yourself off over your imagined OWNING THE LIBS

I saw a photo, thus, all my wildest dreams are coming true.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Remember that any new weapon supplied to Ukraine is a huge escalation and will lead to horrible retaliation against Berlin/London/DC. But (before) system arrives in Ukraine, they claim they already destroyed all of them so it was actually useless and mobik has nothing to fear.

Doccers posted:

Russians tend to view their own weapons like the Armata as "WonderWeapons" that are so powerful they can instantly end the war.
They tend to believe everyone else thinks this way too, so defeating a Leopard means that the western WonderWeapon was defeated, thus all of the west has fallen.

[edit] akin to the Khinzal vs Patriot think, "OUR WONDERWEAPON VS THEIRS".
Of course we don't think surplus Leopards or M1s from the 80s is some sort of wonderweapon. They just don't launch the crews into the stratosphere.

StoryTime posted:

I saw a documentary about this. The whole thing a really lovely result of an unfortunate tourist attraction business, where people scuba dived with tourists and used meat to attract the sharks. The sharks learned that there's easy meat available whenever humans are in water. Those attractions got shut down hard, but sharks can live for a few decades.
Was that about that specific place? I've been diving in Egypt (off the Sinai) and everyone was extremely professional and didn't feed or mess with the wildlife.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Are you sure these confirmed leopard kills aren’t from the zoo they loving flooded?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's not even the first time a Leo 2A4 has been blasted by Russian weapons. Turkey lost a few in northern Syria to Russian supplied ATGMs IIRC.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

One of the wildest things about Russian propaganda efforts is that they are not really sure how to cope with an actual war. They're used to wars on a far smaller scale, and in much smaller scale wars blowing up a few tanks are killing 100 guys basically defines the battlefield. However in a war of maneuvering like the one we are currently in, it takes far more for a counteroffensive to actually be stopped. So Russia brags about killing 1,000 guys and they think that that is somehow enough to convince Ukraine that it's time to end the war. It is not and clearly the propaganda is not capable of comprehending that. I mean Hitler and his boys were claiming to be wiping out entire army groups and losing a company, even though this is extremely weak and clearly bullshit it's far more understandable than what is happening in russia. There bragging about one leopard getting blown up like it's going to change the entire face of the war.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Even funnier is that the Leopard they're crowing about currently isn't even destroyed. It's already been recovered, it's being repaired, and the crew survived because the Leopard 2 doesn't cook off the ammo like Soviet tanks do. They have a blowout design that channels explosions up and out of the rear of the tank so the crew doesn't get vaporized. This basic survivability innovation turns Leopards into wonder weapons apparently.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

Even funnier is that the Leopard they're crowing about currently isn't even destroyed. It's already been recovered, it's being repaired, and the crew survived because the Leopard 2 doesn't cook off the ammo like Soviet tanks do. They have a blowout design that channels explosions up and out of the rear of the tank so the crew doesn't get vaporized. This basic survivability innovation turns Leopards into wonder weapons apparently.

Yeah the smoking destruction they report is literally the blowout chambers which seperate the crew from the ammo cook-off...and also protect a fair bit of the important bits of the tank like optics and engine housing etc.

They look at the damage and go "well a t-34 would be dead if it had that level of damage!!!"

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

One of the wildest things about Russian propaganda efforts is that they are not really sure how to cope with an actual war. They're used to wars on a far smaller scale, and in much smaller scale wars blowing up a few tanks are killing 100 guys basically defines the battlefield. However in a war of maneuvering like the one we are currently in, it takes far more for a counteroffensive to actually be stopped. So Russia brags about killing 1,000 guys and they think that that is somehow enough to convince Ukraine that it's time to end the war. It is not and clearly the propaganda is not capable of comprehending that. I mean Hitler and his boys were claiming to be wiping out entire army groups and losing a company, even though this is extremely weak and clearly bullshit it's far more understandable than what is happening in russia. There bragging about one leopard getting blown up like it's going to change the entire face of the war.

that's what i was confused about when they were going on about how they beat the ukraine counter offensive by blowing up like 10 vehicles over 3 days. like the counter offensive probably involves 100,000+ troops

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

HonorableTB posted:

Do you have any images or vid showing its recovery?

Ive seen images of multiple potentially killed Leo2s, but the one in the Bradley group is imo a goner.

Now why are we only seeing footage of this one scene on a multi-axis attack across multiple days is the real mystery!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 9, 2023

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Dandywalken posted:

Do you have any images or vid showing its recovery?

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1667188759522164737

Not 100% if that's the same one,

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I think I've seen more angles of this tank than anything in this war. New photo angle, +1 Leopard to the destroyed list. Hi, it's a bit obvious it's the same tank. I'm not 11 years old.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tai posted:

I think I've seen more angles of this tank than anything in this war. New photo angle, +1 Leopard to the destroyed list. Hi, it's a bit obvious it's the same tank. I'm not 11 years old.

Separate suspected Leopard 2A6 being destroyed. 7 road wheels and longer gun suggest its an A6 at least, hard to tell. Image is SFW.

The goons saying "Near-peer warfare isnt one sided" weren't kidding. This could be a photoshop since we know thats 100% a thing that happened (and still leaves me baffled), but I don't see anything immediately objectionable in the pic. The losses of tanks was almost guaranteed, but its not indicative of overall operational failure.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

mobby_6kl posted:

Was that about that specific place? I've been diving in Egypt (off the Sinai) and everyone was extremely professional and didn't feed or mess with the wildlife.

I don't remember the specifics, but it was definitely done somewhere off the coast of Egypt. That documentary I saw stated that the practice was brought down heavily by the authorities when the problems started, so I suppose it was just a few bad actors. I wish I could find the specific documentary, but the internet is so full of shockumentary SHARK BITES MAN type of stuff, that I can't find it.

For what I know about sharks, they don't give a poo poo about humans. Something extraordinary has to happen for them to attack one.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It's also kind of a bad thing that Russia is bragging about killing leopards a few days into the counteroffensive, because ask yourself what is behind these leopard killing lines. Once they break through these lines that apparently blowing one leopard up a day what is after that?

I mean we're not talking about the redoubts of Moscow here or the layered defenses of the Hindenburg line. These are single or two line defenses. As in main line reserve line and thats it. Usually defenses are supposed to become more impregnable of the further you get into them, that is not what is happening in the Russian lines. There is one line of tank traps and that is all. So WOAH they lost a leopard...but uh the rest of the leopards are walking through.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1667196682205908992?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah this is the BIG BREAKTHROUGH stage and by far the toughest part of the current offensive for Ukraine. It's not like The West gave Ukraine the keys to some Leopards and said "now don't break them we need them back!"

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Dandywalken posted:

Separate suspected Leopard 2A6 being destroyed. 7 road wheels and longer gun suggest its an A6 at least, hard to tell. Image is SFW.

the 2A4 also has 7 road wheels ...? not to say it can't be a 2A6 from the image, but I sure can't make out enough details of the turret to tell one way or the other.

Regardless, agreed that both some losses are expected and dribs and drabs of photos coming out really don't tell us much apart from the fact of an abandoned or destroyed vehicle, we're still deep in the fog of war. :shrug: certainly the vehicle pictured had a bad time

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine lost a leopard folks. This will bring Biden (the ukrianian commander) to the negotiating table.

Close thread gas op and get your Z flags out Germany will be falling soon as it only has a broom-2 to defend the state.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The US lost 80 M1 Abrams tanks to the Iraqis in combat and people are calling Ukraine a lost cause for losing 2 Leopards lol

E: and the US also lost Abrams in the first Persian Gulf War, fighting against T-54s, T-62s, and T-72s. Several Abrams were hit by enemy fire, but none destroyed (one was disabled and abandoned). A total of 9 Abrams were destroyed, 7 of which were friendly fire and the other two were intentionally destroyed to prevent them falling into enemy hands. Another 14 were damaged in the fighting.

Western kit isn't indestructible, it's just on a whole other level of operation than Russian gear is on average, but you're still going to lose some of it.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Ukraine is now the endpoint of the entire western military industrial complex. There's more coming. There's always more coming.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

I try not to low effort post like this but :laffo:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I also don't think people understand how loving difficult mechanized / armored warfare and combined arms is. It is not loving easy at all it's not easy to get artillery men not to kill their own infantry man and it's not easy to get tanks to keep Pace with their infantry and vice versa. It is the Pinnacle of warfare to conduct combined arms.

You know what happened to the British in the somme? They were never really good at artillerying until later in the war, and half the time the infantrymen were going to slow and the other half the time the artillery was firing too fast. Read about that loving battle if you really want to know what happens to countries that are going to the learning process of warfare. And funny enough most people would have thought the British losses in the song did decisively end their contribution to the war. Clearly it did not.

Sure I feel pretty sad when I see a leopard is dead but that's because there's a guy fighting for his country inside of it that got possibly injured even if he's just contused. But I know for a fact that every leopard that goes down means the ukrainians are putting the fight to the enemy. This part of the fight will be one partially by mechanized and armored warfare but it will also be won by infantryman locking rifles with the Nazis at close loving range.

And I don't think it's been explained but a lot of us are using mechanized and motorized interchangeably when we really shouldn't be. Motorized is truck based infantry, mechanized is armored the vehicle based infantry. Two very different things. Mechanized is going to be able to follow up armored columns far superior than motorized but for the most part the tdf and holding forces are going to be running trucks. So this is layers of a counteroffensive, you have the armor units and mechanized clearing out enemies and causing retreats while motorized units come and secure the area and do mop up operations.

Honestly we could go into it forever but there is a difference in people should know it.