Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tonedef131 posted:

4k really highlights the sins of modern SFX. I thought Annihilation and Alien Covenant looked fine in HD on my 42” TV when I first saw them. Watching them in UHD HDR makes the CGI insufferable, and it retroactively dismantled my fond memories of Blade.

If the CGI in Blade looked ok to you on DVD, there might be something else going on here. The blood monster stuff looked like poo poo by the standards of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Gripweed posted:

If the CGI in Blade looked ok to you on DVD, there might be something else going on here. The blood monster stuff looked like poo poo by the standards of the time.

Hadn’t seen it since the theatre and didn’t know any better then.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I'd seen Blade a bunch of times over the years and had come to terms with the dumb looking CG a long time ago so the UHD didn't really make that situation better or worse. The UHD looks great overall though.

The overall point is right though, there are times where CG is convincing in lower resolutions but distracting in 4k. Fury Road is one example, a lot of the flames and explosions are CG and on the UHD they look blown out and distractingly fake.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 9, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'd seen Blade a bunch of times over the years and had come to terms with the dumb looking CG a long time ago so the UHD didn't really make that situation better or worse. The UHD looks great overall though.

The overall point is right though, there are times where CG is convincing in lower resolutions but distracting in 4k. Fury Road is one example, a lot of the flames and explosions are CG and on the UHD they look blown out and distractingly fake.

The creators of Lexx have said that they'll never do Lexx on bluray because the effects would look too bad :(

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Gotta be honest: I kind of love bad CG from the 90s / early 00s. It has a specific charm about it that I can't describe. Maybe it reminds me of better times. Speaking of impossibly bad CGI, where's the Blu or 4k for A Sound of Thunder? That PS2-looking dinosaur from the beginning is the chef's kiss of unfinished CG.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
At least in the 90s and early 2000s they were still mixing CG with other techniques like models/miniatures. Like I watched Deep Impact the other night, the crew goes up and flies the ship to the asteroid and the environment is all CG but the ship itself is a physical model.

My bigger issue is with overuse of greenscreen. Like, unless you have an outlandish and/or dangerous setting then just go to a real location and shoot, that should always be preferable. Instead there's a lot of scenes these days in relatively mundane settings where they just shot it on a soundstage and filled in the greenscreen later and it's always flat and lovely looking when they do that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

At least in the 90s and early 2000s they were still mixing CG with other techniques like models/miniatures. Like I watched Deep Impact the other night, the crew goes up and flies the ship to the asteroid and the environment is all CG but the ship itself is a physical model.

My bigger issue is with overuse of greenscreen. Like, unless you have an outlandish and/or dangerous setting then just go to a real location and shoot, that should always be preferable. Instead there's a lot of scenes these days in relatively mundane settings where they just shot it on a soundstage and filled in the greenscreen later and it's always flat and lovely looking when they do that.

Greenscreen deserts/plains are so annoying.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I watched The Mist the other day and you wanna talk about CGI… the movie is good, the entire end sequence is great but the effects really took me out of it this time. It’s basically an elevated 50s/60s sci film, maybe it plays better in black and white? I love seeing the seams on practical effects so it’s really just an aesthetic preference I guess. Im sure younger people who’ve grown up with CGI as the norm wouldn’t even blink.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Rewatched Lord of the Rings in 4K recently and was pleasantly surprised by just how extensive the model work was. I knew they heavily utilized it for scenes like Helm's Deep, but I never before took in how many elements of every giant battle scene are actually composited live action or miniatures. Nothing I've seen in recent memory has had that level of meticulous detail. It's obviously an extreme example, but god did it look good compared with anything from the past decade.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone ever have audio issues with their X700 player? For the first time ever, today I started getting weird crackly audio pretty frequently when watching movies. I've tried a couple different movies, all uhd. I turned off my sound bar and it still persisted, and it's not happening while streaming video so I'm thinking it's something to do with the 4k player. Never had it come up before.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PinkoBastard posted:

I watched The Mist the other day and you wanna talk about CGI… the movie is good, the entire end sequence is great but the effects really took me out of it this time. It’s basically an elevated 50s/60s sci film, maybe it plays better in black and white? I love seeing the seams on practical effects so it’s really just an aesthetic preference I guess. Im sure younger people who’ve grown up with CGI as the norm wouldn’t even blink.

Yeah, it does look better in the black & white version. Not amazing but passable.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Troma team haul showed up. I had no idea there was such an extensive library of these lol

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I thought troma's poo poo was in green cases? Or am I thinking of something else.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The pictures on the site had green cases but I got my copy of Return To Nuke Em High Vol 1 from Oldies and it was in blue. Other Blu rays on the site seemed to be standard blue so I guess there are variants.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Blade's vfx definitely feel like they're on the "charming" side of bad. Also the fight scenes have no VFX whatsoever and are just an actor good at martial arts pretending to kick the poo poo out of stuntmen who are good at martial arts while making cool poses, which is timeless fun.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just watch Neil Breen movies if you're nostalgic for 90s SFX.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Late-90s CGI was still struggling with anything fluid like the weird blood effects in Blade.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I much prefer the grain on an older film that was finished on film, rather than artificial smoothing being applied over everything - doesn't even need to be 4K if it's a well-encoded transfer, the Arrow Video Blu-ray release of Long Good Friday has some nice grain while still being high quality.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Blu Ray of The Thing looked pretty great on the new TV just because it’s a solid transfer.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pwn posted:

I thought troma's poo poo was in green cases? Or am I thinking of something else.

I heard people talking about that and was kinda hoping but nope - none here.

I mean, most of troma's stuff that I at least know of came in VHS slips so i'm surprised any of this is getting blu releases. As I'm goign thru them, it's awful low bandwidth stuff even though most of this is a lot newer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Carpet posted:

I much prefer the grain on an older film that was finished on film, rather than artificial smoothing being applied over everything - doesn't even need to be 4K if it's a well-encoded transfer, the Arrow Video Blu-ray release of Long Good Friday has some nice grain while still being high quality.

a lot of the criterion brs I’ve seen have looked better than 4ks from other distributors

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Apparently shouts people under the stairs is region locked on uhd, and so is brotherhood of the wolf (region a)
Worth a heads up, must be a rights thing.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Sniep posted:

Troma team haul showed up. I had no idea there was such an extensive library of these lol

That's a good haul. I'm pretty fond of both Gutboy and Waitress! so I'm glad to see someone else snag copies. Waitress! isn't a great movie but I can't help but enjoy Kaufman's stupid lowest of the low cartoon jokes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Picked up the signature version of The French Connection since I've always meant to see it and apparently the streaming copy has been futzed with. It looks really great. Beautiful grain. Popeye Doyle, though, not nice!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

October miscellaneous:

Unearthed releasing August Underground's Mordum and an anniversary edition of Deadgirl
Synapse doing a standard edition of Tombs of the Blind Dead
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1667225353717162002
Beast from Haunted Cave (regular and TV cut) and Ski Troop Attack both got restored
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1667223739463770113

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh. That's one I've only been able to watch in potato quality. I wonder how much the blu elevates it.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

October miscellaneous:

Unearthed releasing August Underground's Mordum and an anniversary edition of Deadgirl
Synapse doing a standard edition of Tombs of the Blind Dead
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1667225353717162002
Beast from Haunted Cave (regular and TV cut) and Ski Troop Attack both got restored
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1667223739463770113

Both great looking releases, man does Ski Troop Attack suck though lol

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I finally saw WB's new version of the 1940's Superman shorts they put out recently. It got poo poo on in reviews, but honestly having seen DVD versions a long rear end time ago, I was kinda blown away by the new BD. I kept having to remind myself these things are 80 years old.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I mean it's DNRed to hell and back, but still looks so much better than any version I've seen. The bummer is that they put a documentary on one of the discs that contains pre-DNRed footage and it looks totally gorgeous. Such a shame.

There is, however, a fan restoration out there that looks better than this release.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I mean it's DNRed to hell and back, but still looks so much better than any version I've seen. The bummer is that they put a documentary on one of the discs that contains pre-DNRed footage and it looks totally gorgeous. Such a shame.

There is, however, a fan restoration out there that looks better than this release.

Even knowing that going in and hating DNR on live-action stuff, this being animation I wasn't even that bothered. I was just happy to see these in higher quality because holy poo poo are they incredible for the time period. I kinda hope the 4k scans they did for this end up being available in some sort of UHD format down the line..but who knows. I'll haveta check out that doc to see what it looks like with grain/detail intact

can you link to the fan versions (since this stuff is public domain now and it's not piracy)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't have a direct link to them anymore, but this should point you in the right direction. The films may be public domain, but the transfers used for the fan editions likely wouldn't be.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

I finally saw WB's new version of the 1940's Superman shorts they put out recently. It got poo poo on in reviews, but honestly having seen DVD versions a long rear end time ago, I was kinda blown away by the new BD. I kept having to remind myself these things are 80 years old.

They thankfully used noise reduction that doesn't eat away at lines, but the combination of filtering out all the grain and over-stabilization makes it look too much like modern digital animation. Just looks odd, but you're not really missing detail. Even original Technicolor prints would be pretty soft. The main problems with the Blu-ray are the baffling decision to cram it all within 20 GB despite using a BD-50 and not remastering the audio.

Kind of a shame it wasn't a Warner Archive release as they're way more meticulous about animation and wouldn't just re-use decades-old audio masters.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

feedmyleg posted:

I don't have a direct link to them anymore, but this should point you in the right direction. The films may be public domain, but the transfers used for the fan editions likely wouldn't be.

Egbert Souse posted:

They thankfully used noise reduction that doesn't eat away at lines, but the combination of filtering out all the grain and over-stabilization makes it look too much like modern digital animation. Just looks odd, but you're not really missing detail. Even original Technicolor prints would be pretty soft. The main problems with the Blu-ray are the baffling decision to cram it all within 20 GB despite using a BD-50 and not remastering the audio.

Kind of a shame it wasn't a Warner Archive release as they're way more meticulous about animation and wouldn't just re-use decades-old audio masters.

Yeah seeing the unrestored stills from that link, is a huge bummer. I'll never understand doing more work in post-production and making it look worse, than just leaving it alone. People seeking this stuff out aren't afraid of scratches, dust and grain so who is that work for exactly?

Gotta just hold a sliver of hope those raw scans end up somewhere in a higher resolution without all the "restoration" someday.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Those fan edits are uninspiring. I've no interest in fake grain added in. Organic or bust

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Indiana Jones 4K quadrilogy is down to $45 with coupon at Amazon

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

morestuff posted:

Indiana Jones 4K quadrilogy is down to $45 with coupon at Amazon

I think I'm just going to wait for the standard editions of 1-3 to hit 10 bucks on a prime day or something and not have to own 4.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
How much are those steelbooks going for individually?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://www.amazon.com/promotion/psp/A1UW5VABR8VIYG

amazon is doing a buy 2 get 3 thing that target is doing as well, just put UHD in the search to see what is included in the promo

targets (might have some hidden affiliate ref ID thing, just grabbed this link from google) https://goto.target.com/XYdvx3

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Indy steelbooks don't apply unfortunately, but they ARE going for $20 a piece on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Indy steelbooks don't apply unfortunately, but they ARE going for $20 a piece on Amazon.

Hell yes, I'm finally getting Crystal Skull. Best Buy has refused to lower the price and I was not going to pay $29 or $33 for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Crystal-Limited-Steelbook/dp/B0B4KT2NYX

Thanks for the heads-up!