Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Riatsala posted:

At every new restaurant I've been to in the past year you either have to choose something in the 30 seconds it takes your waiter to fill your water glass or wait half an hour for them to check back in.

And like I'd be spiteful too if I had to wait on people all day but c'mon, can we compromise to 5 minutes? Like I'll know what I want when I see it but the qr code menu hasn't even loaded yet.

Who hasn't already looked at the menu and reviews, and picked out your whole meal before you even leave the house to go out to eat? We live in the future and you rubes want physical menus and human servers? Gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My peeve for like, forever has been US restaurants expecting the server to check in every thirty seconds to ask if you need a new drink and is the food good and who needs a complementary bj etc etc before you are done chewing the first bite. I welcome this bold future.

I know there are weirdos out there who love the small talk. From both sides of the employee/customer dynamic. But me, eternal back of house guy, nah. If I'm off the clock I want to eat my food and talk to the people I came here with. On the clock, christ on a cracker the customer is always wrong and stupid, please do not make me talk to it and does Greg over on fry side have any more weed, I swear I can hit him back next paycheck

e: a second eternal peeve: got called a "tryhard" in Age of Empires today while "co-op" playing with my niece. Immediately after we destroyed the other team natch. It grinds my gears when people adopt that attitude in multiplayer games. There was no trying. Y'all got demolished by a brainless cancer patient and a six year old killing time and caring for infants. It's called Age of Empires, not Age of Several Towns Peacefully Co-existing

I don't get people who think "trying to win" is opposed to "having fun" in games where the entire conceit is that there is a win condition and a lose condition. Nobody would have fun playing chess against an opponent who just went "hahahah horsey make L" and then flipped the table when they lost

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Jun 7, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I tell the waiter that them talking at me is making me uncomfortable and if they keep doing it I will leave and it usually works.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
For real, put some money down on the table and walk out.

E: I always tip my waiter because I know they are paid nothing and are forced to do their bullshit speil, but leaving without touching my meal has happened a lot.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Jun 7, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Being presented with the options "Yes" and "Not now". No; not loving ever. I do not, as it happens, want you to ask me this question every time I use this app from now until the end of time. I want to say "no" to your bullshit once, and mean it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't get people who think "trying to win" is opposed to "having fun" in games where the entire conceit is that there is a win condition and a lose condition. Nobody would have fun playing chess against an opponent who just went "hahahah horsey make L" and then flipped the table when they lost
I swept a buddy who is actually a (junior high) chess coach earlier tonight.

My girlfriend then insisted she could beat me. I kinda took it easy on her until she was like "wait what do you mean you get a new queen for getting a pawn across the board??"

Turns out she was also unfamiliar with the concept of conceding and completely rejected the idea so it went to the bitter end. It was not fun for anyone at that point.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Who hasn't already looked at the menu and reviews, and picked out your whole meal before you even leave the house to go out to eat? We live in the future and you rubes want physical menus and human servers? Gross.

Except a lot of the time you look at the online menu, then go to the restaurant to order a specific item only to find out that you were looking at last year's menu and they no longer serve that item.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FFT posted:

Turns out she was also unfamiliar with the concept of conceding and completely rejected the idea so it went to the bitter end. It was not fun for anyone at that point.
Worse than people who won't concede when they've lost are people who won't let anyone else concede either.

:v: Well, I can't recover from that. I concede. Well played.
:mad: No; finish the game.
:v: The game is over. You've won.
:mad: No I haven't. We haven't finished yet.
:v: I'm conceding though.
:mad: No. Don't be a spoilsport. Finish the game!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tiggum posted:

Being presented with the options "Yes" and "Not now". No; not loving ever. I do not, as it happens, want you to ask me this question every time I use this app from now until the end of time. I want to say "no" to your bullshit once, and mean it.

This, but also website notifications. Have anyone in the history of Accuweather ever chosen to enable their notifications without straight up signing for the site (if that's even possible)?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

YeahTubaMike posted:

This, but also website notifications. Have anyone in the history of Accuweather ever chosen to enable their notifications without straight up signing for the site (if that's even possible)?

All website notifications need to die. I've implored the desktop engineering team at my job to globally disallow them via GPO, because we (deskside support) get frequent tickets for people thinking they have a "virus" because they click "Allow" on every website asking to send a notification, and most of those notifications are ads, and plenty of the ads are those scammy "your computer is already infected!" ones.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Do you want this app to make changes to your device?

What? Changes? No. Wait, but I can't open the app unless I allow this? What changes? Why isn't this worded better??

e: What is a "notification"?

credburn has a new favorite as of 00:31 on Jun 8, 2023

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
First thing I do when I install a new browser is get uBlock Origin, second thing is to turn notifications off for all sites.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The store didn't have my usual brand of coffee filters so I had to get a pack of some different brand. The filters are a good half an inch shorter than my usual brand, which means grounds get splashed the gently caress over the edge if I make a pot larger than six cups. And I feel compelled to use them all before I replace them, because my brain is hosed

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

credburn posted:

e: What is a "notification"?

Pop-ups in all but name.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

E: what the gently caress

oldpainless has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Jun 9, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

After the 3.1kHz tone sounded continuously over the Memorial Day weekend, it was silent for over a week. I actually thought it was gone. I can't tell you how much my mental health improved with that poo poo gone.

It's BACK, BABY! Hell yeah, I wanna die

Edit: Finally got a response about it, turns out it's a boiler and they're working on a permanent fix for it? Not sure 100% what that means but here's hoping

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Jun 9, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Across years and cities I have been peeves at people who don't pick up dog crap

Now for a month or two someone is leaving it almost directly at the bottom of the exit stairs, about 2 metres/6 feet from the nearest free poo poo bag dispenser and poop drop off

Who does this

Why

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Brawnfire posted:

After the 3.1kHz tone sounded continuously over the Memorial Day weekend, it was silent for over a week. I actually thought it was gone. I can't tell you how much my mental health improved with that poo poo gone.

Edit: Finally got a response about it, turns out it's a boiler and they're working on a permanent fix for it? Not sure 100% what that means but here's hoping

Does knowing what it is help with the stress? I always find that I rest a little easier when I actually understand what the source of a noise is.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It really weirdly does. The idea that someone has identified the problem and that there's a possible fix and that I'm not the only loving nutjob getting the air loom treatment takes a lot off my mind as well.

It really is aimed directly at my house, though. I walked the length of my street and the sound was effectively blocked by buffering structures on either side of the source, effectively channeling the sound waves into the front of my house.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s alien greys loving with you. You’ll be probed soon sorry

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CelticPredator posted:

Aliens aren't real. It's obviously the CIA loving with him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

CelticPredator posted:

And I said, "PROMISE?"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

FFT posted:

I'd rather they cut the breathing than have that weird vocal fry-esque affectation where the last syllable of every sentence is three times longer than any other. Some dude's videos keep occasionally showing up as recommended and they seem right up my alley until I get a few sentences in and go "oh, it's this guy again."
Update: I'm still seeing this pop up elsewhere, and I think I've cracked it.

I think they're using software that automatically cuts out pauses of more than a specific length, and they've intentionally or uninentionally trained themselves to extend the tails at the end of sentences and phrases to make pacing seem more natural.

gently caress you! It sounds awful! Stop it! Do the work yourself!

an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8nrzI8p7Hk

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

I had something similar while in college, but it happened every couple weeks at 4 AM.

Turns out it was a protein recycler for a dogfood company draining the used grease tanks of the mcdonalds across the street

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I still have loads of canadian change turning up and it's been years since I was in the country

Should probably just spend it, idk that the person manning the register at Arby's is going to notice or care if some of the quarters are commemorative "Queen Liz and a Caribou" instead of being a state or a park or whatever infinite variants go on US quarters

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I still have loads of canadian change turning up and it's been years since I was in the country

Should probably just spend it, idk that the person manning the register at Arby's is going to notice or care if some of the quarters are commemorative "Queen Liz and a Caribou" instead of being a state or a park or whatever infinite variants go on US quarters

I work at a 7-Eleven and we accept Canadian coins. My boss says, "if someone notices, give them a real nickel, otherwise nobody notices or cares."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"Queen Liz and a Caribou"

Is this a catherine the great thing

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Am I wrong, or did it used to be the case that you could set a computer to boot from a USB and it would do so whenever a bootable USB was present at startup, keeping that option set until you changed it?

Because it seems like every computer now has this process whereby it sees that the bootable USB is no longer present and removes it from the boot priority list, meaning that if you plug it back in and want to boot from it again you have to go back into the BIOS settings and move it to the top of the list again. It wasn't always like that, was it? Why can't I just set it to "boot from USB if available, otherwise boot from HD" once and have it remember that forever?

Also, modern monitors take those few seconds to actually turn on so you can't see the screen that tells you what key to press (or when to press it) to get to the BIOS, so you just have to mash Esc or Del (or occasionally F2 or something) and hope you got it right.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dear summer likers: it is way too hot and summer isn't even officially started yet. You are wrong. That is all.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dear summer likers: it is way too hot and summer isn't even officially started yet. You are wrong. That is all.

Good, outspokenly correct people like us need a support group. gently caress summer, and gently caress weather that is reminiscent of summer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

why is there always so much noise all the time

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

aggressively air conditioned buildings are the worst. like i'm grateful to have it in a place where it gets hot enough for everything to break but having to wear scarves and sweaters inside when it's 95 outside is loving ridiculous. and not only that, but there's the environmental impact as well. ugh!!!!!!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

We moved into a new apartment and we have our AC completely off but the AC from the halls and surrounding units keep it at 22C at all times. It's stupid

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Killingyouguy! posted:

We moved into a new apartment and we have our AC completely off but the AC from the halls and surrounding units keep it at 22C at all times. It's stupid

Man, that sounds just perfect for me.
Low 70's F, but I also never have to use any of my OWN electricity to achieve that? Sold!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

But it's 30 out. The air feels unnatural.

Tbf, my previous place only had a window AC that I barely ever used.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Sounds like my old apartments only with heat - never had to turn the furnace on in winter because I lived on the 3rd floor & the heat from everyone else rose up. Had to open my windows a few times because I'd get home from work or wake up in the middle of the night to an 80+ degree sweatbox. Sucked in the summer though since it felt like my AC was constantly running & drove my electricity bill up.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Count me in with the summer haters. I was surely a polar bear in a past life.

Killingyouguy! posted:

But it's 30 out. The air feels unnatural.

Tbf, my previous place only had a window AC that I barely ever used.
Hold on, let me google something...

quote:

30 degrees Celsius = 86 Fahrenheit
Hell yes, I'm putting the AC on. Good god, man! Is this an actual picture of you? - :tif:

To be fair, I live in a 3rd floor one-room apartment with four 9'x5' (2.75 m x 1.5 m) windows facing west, in an area of the US with humid summers. 4 times in the past 9 years, my AC has broken (not my fault! it's an old building!). Even when it happened in the spring when it was a beautiful 70 F/21 C outside, my apartment became a sweatbox when that afternoon sun hit. ("You run your AC when it's only 70??" Yes! This is why!)

The other 3 times were in the summer, and I don't know exactly how hot it got, but my thermostat hit its 100F/38C maximum register and stayed there even at night. My will to live was tested, I tell you what.

On the plus side, my heating bills are really low in the winter.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I was a polar bear too

At boy scout camp

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Also, modern monitors take those few seconds to actually turn on so you can't see the screen that tells you what key to press (or when to press it) to get to the BIOS, so you just have to mash Esc or Del (or occasionally F2 or something) and hope you got it right.
Just hold any button, it'll bring up the "hey your keyboard might be busted" screen where you can hit a hotkey to go to startup options etc.

Or at least that's what always worked for me, haven't needed to in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've never felt annoyed by being a manlet until today, where as the heightiest man of the household at a lofty 165cm we had to deal with a chirping smoke alarm and not owning a stepstool to deal with these exact situations

Why does this diminutive hobbit hole not own a stepladder, you may say

Good rear end question

The horrible screeching god above is my only answer now