Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are three ways to Orb: DMO, LoD, or the weird Reverse Archon Vyr’s variant. Delseres’s has high damage but is the squishiest, LoD the least but is super tough, and Vyr’s is theoretically the highest DPS but requires a super finicky and specific way to play. It’s a pretty well-studied build and they all have entries on maxroll if you wanna read more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

A Hydra Wiz should be able to do the T20 dungeon needed to get their full set with just the 4pc bonus, especially if you already have a Frag.

I watched someone struggle through this, so I had to go back and try it. It's JUST BARELY possible for a fresh 70 with no paragon points and a 4-piece hydra set bonus, and a couple crafted pieces to clear GR 20. It's a loving grind. I don't know if any other class has been done this dirty.

Your best option is to farm up another set, or level LoD and throw on whatever garbage legendaries you find.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

exquisite tea posted:

There are three ways to Orb: DMO, LoD, or the weird Reverse Archon Vyr’s variant. Delseres’s has high damage but is the squishiest, LoD the least but is super tough, and Vyr’s is theoretically the highest DPS but requires a super finicky and specific way to play. It’s a pretty well-studied build and they all have entries on maxroll if you wanna read more.

OK thanks. I see I'm a long way from being setup for any specific build, but I did just manage a lvl 30 rift. Almost ate it to a wall of green barbs from those bug bastards, but none of my oh-poo poo cooldowns went off so maybe I can push it further still.

Edit
Doing torment 7-8 level bounties and rifts, got triumvirate (sig spell increases orb dmg) and put on the final passive (+% damage from each element). Using the fire bolt on crit rune for electrocute, orb familiar, and the frozen orb setup. I just step/zap/step/zap and it throws deadly frozen orbs all by itself. Which is great cuz I got... aquillas cuirass (? Huge incoming dmg reduction at high resource), so just shutterstep around zapping.

But my death is still always a moment away! I worry about bounties because they are more chaotic than rifts. Still afraid of malthael.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 8, 2023

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there any way to play campaign with the at-release scaling? The flat difficulty feels really bland if people wanna run the campaign to refresh themselves on story and lore for D4.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

Silly question, got the game on Switch but idk what class to play. Which class do you all think feels best on controller? I am leaning towards Barb, but it is just a hunch.

I think Wizard is the worst on controller - careful aiming just matters too much for the class. You absolutely can make it work (Tal Rasha Meteor is pretty good, and Ice Snakes are reasonable), but I can't think of a single build where I don't find myself wishing I could place spells more precisely. Truthfully, all the other classes have at least a build or two that feel just right on a controller whereas Wizard is more "well, this is okay."

Witch Doctor is pretty great on the controller - Mundunugu Spirit Barrage, Zunimassa Poison Dart, Helltooth Gargantuan, Jade Harvester Soul Harvest, Arachyr Firebats all are pretty dang fun without precision aiming. The only real drag is aiming Piranhado, which to be fair you will be using a lot, but you'd get used to it.

Necromancer builds that work great on controller are Rathma Mages (and LoD Rat Mages), Rathma Army of the Dead, Trag'Oul Blood Nova, and even Masquerade Bone Spear is pretty solid.

I've played a ton of Barbarian on console, and everything works really well except for a few builds - HotNS Frenzy is just okay, Raekor Boulder Toss is pretty meh. Otherwise it's great. I particularly enjoy IK HotA and Wastes Whirlwind/Rend.

Demon Hunter's Gear of the Dreadlands Hungering Arrow build plays very similarly to Whirlrend and works great on a controller.

Inna's Mystic Ally has already been mentioned, but Patters of Justice Tempest Rush is another very strong console build for Monk.

For Crusader, I like Blessed Hammer on the controller quite a lot, and Bombardment plays well too. Crusader probably has the absolute worst build for console though, which is Akkhan Condemn. It's been probably two years since I last tried to make it work with a controller, but it remained loving dreadful. Haven't played the S27 Akkhan rework though so who knows!?!

tl;dr - Every class has something that's at least very playable, and most of them have a few builds that are absolutely great on a controller.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Wizard is the best class to ever exist in a Diablo

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Is there any way to play campaign with the at-release scaling? The flat difficulty feels really bland if people wanna run the campaign to refresh themselves on story and lore for D4.

Not really. But if all you want to do is cruise control through the campaign then set it to the lowest difficulty. If you want a challenge, then just ramp it up as high as you can until it is the desired effort. Without prior gear that you bring to the campaign, you'll not really be able to play on Torment 6 at all so you have plenty of granularity to work with.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

becoming posted:

tl;dr - Every class has something that's at least very playable, and most of them have a few builds that are absolutely great on a controller.

Awesome! Thank you for so much great info :unsmith:!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wheeee posted:

Wizard is the best class to ever exist in a Diablo

Shame they didn't make a male version.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

As far as I know there is no Wizard appearance in D4, which means they must be saving her as the final DLC endboss.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

exquisite tea posted:

As far as I know there is no Wizard appearance in D4, which means they must be saving her as the final DLC endboss.

D3 Wizard + D2 Assassin DLC
This time its personal

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
D4 DLC2 end boss: 4 monks at the monastery set piece:
Innas Monk
WoL Monk
Shen Long Monk
zDPS Monk

Summons are R6 monks that have an interrupt.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Diablo 4 couldn’t handle the Wizard

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I finally get endgame Diablo 3. Only just realizing the key is how your legendary effects interact with your skills and runes, or rather how much more important that is than number values on items. I haven't gotten close to optimizing the modifiers on my items, nevermind maxing their values. I'm not using a single ancient. But I'm finally doing high level torment content. Valuing armor and vitality was not ever going to keep my wizard alive, even in low torment, but a build built around generating shields and using ashnagar blood bracers (double value of generated shields) was a monumental step forward in survivability. Throw in unity, ice climbers, stone gauntlets, and Aquila cuiras... imagine needing to use a potion.

I'm so used to itemization in other games I spent way too long worrying about the numbers, not realizing the gimmicky interactions were far more important. Also was lucky to find enough necessary items early on to somewhat intuit my way into this frozen orb build. Now I'm on torment 13 and I kill everything instantly and never take any damage, as long as I spectral blade every couple seconds. Might skip straight to the highest torment level.

Also happy to finally understand the crafting/legendary/cube stuff. All that time I spent enchanting for specific better rolls on generic legendaries was a complete waste! I want a ring? Kadala it up til I'm out of blood shards, then use the bounty mats to make the rares legendaries. BAM!

Given my newfound confidence, look for me to return later today with news of Exploderella's death.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you're playing Orb on seasons it helps to save your cube primal for a Triumvirate since it's almost impossible to get one of those to roll perfectly.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

If you're playing Orb on seasons it helps to save your cube primal for a Triumvirate since it's almost impossible to get one of those to roll perfectly.

Thanks for the tip. Also lol nearly died right after posting, act 2 keywarden did some slow projectile/ reflect projectile combo that smashed a bunch of orbs into my face.

Will the enchantress completely prevent my death in the face of a huge devastating attack? I've got her fates lapse, my unstable anomaly, and leorics pauldrons. I've never seen anomaly or pauldrons proc though. Is it possible for me to just explode and die instantly even if those should all proc (well not the pauldrons I guess).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unstable Anomaly and Time Lapse will each give you a few seconds of immunity, although Leo's Pauldrons will not. I don't usually play HC but the correct protocol is try to find someplace to TP out when that happens. Homing Pads on your Enchantress helps with this.

Those spinning dune dervish guys are a real pain and honestly the biggest weakness of Frozen Orb builds in higher GR. 1/4 chance to own yourself on every pylon.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Unstable Anomaly and Time Lapse will each give you a few seconds of immunity, although Leo's Pauldrons will not. I don't usually play HC but the correct protocol is try to find someplace to TP out when that happens. Homing Pads on your Enchantress helps with this.

Those spinning dune dervish guys are a real pain and honestly the biggest weakness of Frozen Orb builds in higher GR. 1/4 chance to own yourself on every pylon.

Luckily have the homing pads, not using nemesis bracers though for that very reason (too chaotic for hardcore).

I noticed just going from torment 13 to 14 I'm suddenly having to potion/run away and let fates lapse re-up. I'd been doing rifts and greater rifts mostly before, but now that I'm on bounties the world feels more dangerous. Wondering if it's less/no uptime on nephalem orbs and pylons compared to rifts (got flavor of time on enchantress), or if single torment increases bring significantly more challenge. I was going to work up to GR70 from 60, but I need more bounty mats for the altar. Hell, I need more to extract legendary powers. Trying to get every legendary effect in the cube.

I know I need to run a gr70 to find primals, but do I need to be on t16 for them to drop? Once I've cleared a 70, could I find a primal in a t14 nephalem rift?

And goddamnit where is my replacement ring of granduer tyrael?!?!?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Once you unlock primals they can drop from anywhere while doing anything on any difficulty.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Finally I'm effortlessly zooming through t16 bounties and Nehalem rifts. Just haven't tried malthael yet, i remember him being very dangerous.
I've done some gr90+ without trouble, had amazing luck and found two additional primals after the guaranteed one (one from kadala :O ), and one of them was triumvirate! (Im lod frozen orb). I even found my radalahni's gift!

I foresee a few problems. One, there's a very rare place called frost caves and sometimes a very rare cat named Chiltara is there and if she even is there she drops gold and a rare and that's it jack. Stone cold bitch that one.

Echoing nightmare is very intimidating, as I've never tried it and I understand death there plays by hardcore rules. But I'll need that gem for my altar and it seems by far the most efficient way to augment.

Finally, I suck with black hole. I know I'll need the rather large bonus to orbs damage to push greater rifts, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm on a controller and I think that's part of the problem. With familiar up instead I can just spectral blade - orb over and over and never even lose my aquilla cuirras buff, but I'll have to switch if I want to raise my blood shard maximum. (By the way so annoying you don't fill up on shards unless you pick up the exact amount needed.)

Oh, and conquests. Goddamnit. I might be able to do a tX rift in 2 minutes now that I've got more altar powers... with a lot of tries... maybe I should try the vyr archon set? I seem to remember it let me Teleport around and explode everything in one hit, with basically no cooldown. For the third conquest though I'm pretty sure I'd need to make a new character. I've never even gotten close to 350 cursed chest kills, and the gr50 set clear one requires another class. The boss rush sounds immensely frustrating.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

BRJurgis posted:

I foresee a few problems. One, there's a very rare place called frost caves and sometimes a very rare cat named Chiltara is there and if she even is there she drops gold and a rare and that's it jack. Stone cold bitch that one.

It's time-consuming, but if you know how to look through the area (guide here) it's at least something you can do efficiently.

BRJurgis posted:

Echoing nightmare is very intimidating, as I've never tried it and I understand death there plays by hardcore rules. But I'll need that gem for my altar and it seems by far the most efficient way to augment.

No idea on your build, but in general you just want to live. Your damage will be fine, conduit at ~100 will clean up the rest, and it's more just trying not to get hit by meteors while teleporting around. Swap in some defensive options (familiar, etc) and just make sure to live and nuke the bomb-producing things and the rest will just tick over on its own.

BRJurgis posted:

Oh, and conquests. Goddamnit.

I'm not on a controller or playing your build, so ymmv, but I found the easiest to do were the two minute rift (farm set with ingeom and pray for a good one) and killing all the bosses within 20 minutes. Since you're on console and I don't know if load times apply the latter might be impossible for you, in which case yeah rolling a new class and gambling up their set might be the way to go. I planned to do that but it turns out 20 minutes is a pretty sufficient time for killing the world.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BRJurgis posted:

I don't know what you mean by "death plays by hardcore rules" but if you die it just ends the event at that wave, you don't lose your character.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't know what you mean by "death plays by hardcore rules" but if you die it just ends the event at that wave, you don't lose your character.

This is 100% incorrect, if you die in an Echoing Nightmare in Hardcore then your character is gone just like anywhere* else. You have to force an overwhelm situation by running away and not killing stuff in order for it to end safely.

*The only place where dying doesn't count is Set Dungeons, and that is very clearly spelled out on the interface when you open one.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Mailer posted:

It's time-consuming, but if you know how to look through the area (guide here) it's at least something you can do efficiently.

No idea on your build, but in general you just want to live. Your damage will be fine, conduit at ~100 will clean up the rest, and it's more just trying not to get hit by meteors while teleporting around. Swap in some defensive options (familiar, etc) and just make sure to live and nuke the bomb-producing things and the rest will just tick over on its own.

I'm not on a controller or playing your build, so ymmv, but I found the easiest to do were the two minute rift (farm set with ingeom and pray for a good one) and killing all the bosses within 20 minutes. Since you're on console and I don't know if load times apply the latter might be impossible for you, in which case yeah rolling a new class and gambling up their set might be the way to go. I planned to do that but it turns out 20 minutes is a pretty sufficient time for killing the world.

Thanks. I'm LoD Frozen Orb Hardcore (so I utilize unity and most shields & oh-poo poo-procs). Considering how quickly I could likely replicate this character I'm probably far too afraid of dying, and its taken much longer for me to get this far than I'd like to admit. Only just yesterday I got my altar past rhaladadnis gift and reached the echoing nightmare requirement. I've been stacking vitality because I believe it greatly benefits my shield, but I'm wondering if more intelligence would eliminate threats more efficiently.

I also like extracting every power, and keeping the best instance of every set item and legendary (the ones with special effects), so I have to get two of every legendary before I can cube one down. Why yes, my stash is full. I know many of them are worthless, but I might want em for gimmick builds or niche achievement stuff. I've almost cubed every power a wizard can use!

IcePhoenix posted:

That was my initial assumption, but when I looked it up I found several people complaining about hardcore characters dying for real if they die before they are overwhelmed. I'd thought it would be like the set dungeons where death just failed the event. Do you know for sure? Perhaps they changed it and the information I read was out of date.

Also curious if difficulty has any effect on echoing nightmare. This is kind of the next challenge for me, as I suppose I should start augmenting and it takes a long time to max level a gem.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 8, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Swilo posted:

This is 100% incorrect, if you die in an Echoing Nightmare in Hardcore then your character is gone just like anywhere* else. You have to force an overwhelm situation by running away and not killing stuff in order for it to end safely.

*The only place where dying doesn't count is Set Dungeons, and that is very clearly spelled out on the interface when you open one.

You're misreading what I'm saying. OP made it sound like you lose your character if you're not playing on hardcore. Obviously you would on hardcore.

If I misread then that's my mistake.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Swilo posted:

IcePhoenix posted:

You're misreading what I'm saying. OP made it sound like you lose your character if you're not playing on hardcore. Obviously you would on hardcore.

Yeah I imagined it would be a set dungeon type event, glad I didn't just assume. Thanks for clearing that up folks.

I'm unsure what my balance of vit to int should be. As I said before I've gone big on vit (or %health if I have to) to benefit my big shields playstyle, but loving up procs the oh-poo poo cooldown regardless and then I have to wait in town, so maybe more int would kill things faster before they can become a problem. I've just got this sense intelligence isn't nearly as impactful to my damage as all the legendary modifiers and gems.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

IcePhoenix posted:

I didn't realize you were interpreting his statements from a softcore perspective when he's has been talking about hardcore the whole time :)

BRJurgis posted:

I'm unsure what my balance of vit to int should be. As I said before I've gone big on vit (or %health if I have to) to benefit my big shields playstyle, but loving up procs the oh-poo poo cooldown regardless and then I have to wait in town, so maybe more int would kill things faster before they can become a problem. I've just got this sense intelligence isn't nearly as impactful to my damage as all the legendary modifiers and gems.

What's your paragon level? After 800 all your points will go into the Primary tab and you can dump them into either mainstat or vitality. It's a great way to tweak between runs if you want to experiment. You can also overwrite augments on your gear instead of messing around with rerolls if you've got some spare gems or build up a stack of Whispers.

It won't be entirely comparable because of differences between classes but for reference my two HC characters (a WD I've taken to GR75 and a Monk to GR90 which easily clears 125 Echoing Nightmares with proper pylon strats) have more mainstat than vit to the tune of ~1.5x. IMO the doubled shields you're using with Ashnagarr's are an insane value and you're right to build around them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Swilo posted:

I didn't realize you were interpreting his statements from a softcore perspective when he's has been talking about hardcore the whole time :)

He didn't mention hardcore at all in the post :shrug:

If it was before then, well the post directly before the new one was from a month ago so it seemed like it was just a new poster.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i hope they do a new season at some point in the next few months. im loving diablo 4 a lot but part of me missing every class having an insane source of mobility.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
August will be 6 months of the current season and fall in the middle/end of D4's first season, that's my hopeful guess. They said a while back in interviews that there would be a Season 29 with new content before the great recycling starts, but nothing about a firm schedule or if they intend D3 seasons to be quarterly or annual or what.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think they said they want diablo 4 seasons to last 3 months each? Or maybe 4? So if they're just going to recycle old seasons then they can hopefully spin them up in between new d4 seasons.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Swilo posted:

August will be 6 months of the current season and fall in the middle/end of D4's first season, that's my hopeful guess. They said a while back in interviews that there would be a Season 29 with new content before the great recycling starts, but nothing about a firm schedule or if they intend D3 seasons to be quarterly or annual or what.

Really hope they don't just do seasons 1-29 in order cycling every 4 months. Some of the seasons are real yawners.

Need salvage pets to stay.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i didn't play d3 at all until I wanna say s23? so I dont mind repeats but tbh if it was anything like D4 I assume the first few were a bit underwhelming

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Keep altar as baseline. Then do 4th cube power, the one with the special legendary gems, ethereals, sanctified items, and uhhh the one where sometimes you’d just kill an RG in 2 seconds for no reason.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i didn't play d3 at all until I wanna say s23? so I dont mind repeats but tbh if it was anything like D4 I assume the first few were a bit underwhelming

Some were cool, some were awesome, some were "errr uhhh I guess I'll do the seasonal journey for the portrait?"

(I can see D4 repeating this cycle)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The only reason to be wary of Malthael when you can do GR90+ is in Hardcore, that parsed pretty obviously

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

followers having a full loadout was maybe my third season and its crazy it wasnt the standard for so much of the games lifespan

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If anything they didn't go hard enough with the concept. I want to dress up all my followers and send them out to do their own GR90s while I sit in town admiring my loot.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

If anything they didn't go hard enough with the concept. I want to dress up all my followers and send them out to do their own GR90s while I sit in town admiring my loot.

Finish this dungeon now for only 65 gems!

Seems like it would fit perfectly in Diablo Immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
poo poo! poo poo! poo poo! Put down that monkey's paw before the finger bends :unsmigghh:

Between games and other things, so I've been running a few GRs here and there. Still doubt I can clear higher than maybe GR145 on my Tal Wiz, so now I just casually gather some paragons and quickly quit out.