Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Do you think he tried to get this pulled once he saw the columns of Bradleys and Leopards abandoned before they even reached the Russian trenches?

quote:

As a former tank commander, I can say one thing for certain: Putin’s demoralised conscripts are utterly unprepared for the shock action now hitting their lines. Ukrainian armoured formations are beginning to meet Russian forces in battle, and they are going to pulverise Russia’s defensive lines. I am confident for one simple reason: Ukraine will follow the Western ideology of manoeuvre warfare in a combined arms context, while the Russians will follow Soviet doctrine, relying on attrition and numbers. The Russians will find that the armour of Western tanks is far more resilient than flesh and bone, they will die in great numbers, and they will lose.

The core idea of manoeuvre warfare is mission command. Commanders at all levels understand the top-level end state, and are given the flexibility to conduct the battle as they see fit to achieve victory. The Ukrainians are well-versed in this style of warfare, which allows them to be agile and adapt their plan to the situation on the battlefield as it unfolds and changes. The Russians do not follow this doctrine. They are given strict roles in the execution of plans drawn up at the top, and cannot change them even when things are going badly wrong. This has been made evident time and time again in Ukraine, where Moscow’s tanks have all too often been blown to pieces without firing a round.

On top of this, we can add the simple fact that Kyiv’s forces have proved far superior in their adoption of combined arms warfare. This means using tanks, infantry, artillery and air power in harmony to achieve their objectives. Each element brings its own capabilities, and together they are far greater than the sum of their parts. The effect is devastating. Nearly 4,000 Russian tanks have been destroyed because they were not properly protected by infantry and air defence. Tens of thousands of Russian soldiers have died because they were not properly supported by artillery and tanks.

Getting this form of warfare right takes intelligence and training. You need the right equipment, and effective doctrine. The Ukrainians have this. I estimate that their tank brigades have had around eight weeks to perfect combined arms warfare, around the same time I would have allocated to train the Royal Tank Regiment under my command to be an effective combined arms fighting force. And they certainly have the right equipment. The Challenger and Leopard tanks leading the spearhead vastly outmatch what’s left of Russia’s heavy armour, while sophisticated precision artillery is providing withering fire for the advance.

Conversely, Russian recruits appear to be given a few days of training, a little ammunition and are then thrown into the meat-grinder with a life expectancy surely measured in days. They might as well be gunning them down on the training fields; it would be faster, cheaper and about as combat effective.

There will certainly be no rescue from the air. The Russian air force should be a massive operational threat, but it seems that its pilots have opted to hide in the confines of the officers’ mess rather than face the excellent Ukrainian air defences. Sometimes, cowardice is the most sensible option.

The final and perhaps the most important element of an effective armoured fighting force is morale. The Ukrainians have this in spades. The Russian conscripts have virtually none. From personal experience, having fought a number of battles, I know you need to really want to get out of the trench to fight the enemy. It’s certainly not an easy or natural act.

With Ukrainian canniness, Western intelligence and equipment and a smattering of good fortune, I expect what’s left of the Russian army to be nothing more than a speed bump on the way to liberating Crimea, pushing to the Russian border and chucking Putin’s war criminals out of Ukraine once and for all.

Much like Adolf Hitler at the end of his war, Putin appears to be holed up in his bunker, being fed lies, making the wrong decisions while the sharks circle. What’s unfolding in Ukraine now could go down in history as one of the great tank actions, alongside Cambrai, Kursk and the Arras counterattack. It will certainly go down as the end of Moscow’s illegal invasion – and perhaps the beginning of the end of Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

Ukraine was widely considered the most corrupt nation in Europe prior to be canonized as the bravest saints

I can't stress how much I wish Russia hadn't started the SMO when it did for precisely this reason.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

sum posted:

Do you think he tried to get this pulled once he saw the columns of Bradleys and Leopards abandoned before they even reached the Russian trenches?

NAFO crew looks like they're doubling down on invoking Kharkiv so the guy probably does believe all that spilled ink.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Chillgamesh posted:

Catching up on the thread and I gotta say it's pretty loving incredible that Ukraine drove their Gundam into a loving minefield and lost it instantly

And in the process immediately throwing a wet blanket on the long held belief that western tanks are vastly superior to their Russian counterparts. Soon the Leopard's reputation is going to be just as damaged as the T-72's.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Gresh posted:

And in the process immediately throwing a wet blanket on the long held belief that western tanks are vastly superior to their Russian counterparts. Soon the Leopard's reputation is going to be just as damaged as the T-72's.

starting to think tanks are all just kinda like....vehicles, man

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

speng31b posted:

starting to think tanks are all just kinda like....vehicles, man

all hail the god of war thy name is artillery

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Everything is a tank. :gifttank:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Lol someone wasted $30 on this poo poo :utruck:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sum posted:

Getting this form of warfare right takes intelligence and training. You need the right equipment, and effective doctrine. The Ukrainians have this. I estimate that their tank brigades have had around eight weeks to perfect combined arms warfare, around the same time I would have allocated to train the Royal Tank Regiment under my command to be an effective combined arms fighting force.

What the gently caress? Does RTR really only have an eight week training cycle? Brits weight in please.

I'll spare you a thousand words on the training cycle, other than lol nobody is sending a regiment into combat with 8 weeks training, it's 18th months ideally for a unit with a high volume of newly recruited troops.

I understand Ukraine loving this up. Hell, they were trained by RCR, who went from loving up their training, to deployment, where they trained the hosed up Ukrainians. But a British armoured regiment? What the gently caress?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Why are tanks not just round and slippery? That way all the rounds would simply slide off of them.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ytlaya posted:

Why are tanks not just round and slippery? That way all the rounds would simply slide off of them.

okay leonardo da vinci

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol iron front.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

three white arrows pointing down and to the left is a little on the nose, c'mon that isn't real, is it?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

okay leonardo da vinci

If only I was born in a different era, I would have been a genius polymath

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Futanari Damacy posted:

gbs must be crushed

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

c. "VT fuzes shall not be fired short of GOAT HERD";

Is this a real life example?

SplitSoul posted:

Slavacadabra.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

three white arrows pointing down and to the left is a little on the nose, c'mon that isn't real, is it?

militant centrism

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The piece of poo poo that shot up Christchurch has azov ties. :)

yeah and its loving annoying because everyone here is still slava ukrainianing

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Its actually possible MonkeylibFront wrote this

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

the fields of sunflowers will be nice after this war is finished, well as long as you avoid the landmines

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

One of the substack guys pointed out something I'd been thinking about today and even came up in the ISW report, that the Ukrainians had clearly been trained along the lines of the doctrine paper Defeating the Russian Battalion Tactical Group and imo are paying for it now that there's been a return to a more recognizable Motor Rifle and Tank doctrine.

I had forgotten how much loving editorializing they intersperse, goddamn.

But, generally,

Motor Rifles are back, and all of the guys who trained to be light infantry and literally overwhelm Russian FOOs by presenting too many targets are in for a tough time.

How the hell did landmines, trenches, fortifications, obstacles, and prepared artillery become a surprise? Even the NAFO freaks were sharing pictures of the extensive Russian earthworks. You don't need to assume very much to say that landmines and prepared defensive plans go along with those.

"The enemy defeated us by a novel strategy: using bigger and more guns." WTF.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i naively assume the bulk of nato planning is written with the assumption the opponent's forces are on the offense and having to cross minefields

why would our good boys be on the offensive? they can't even call this an offensive and have settled on 'counter' to make it seem less egregious

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

defeated by landmines and shovels. how should I have known?!?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Motor Rifles are back, and all of the guys who trained to be light infantry and literally overwhelm Russian FOOs by presenting too many targets are in for a tough time.

Human wave tactics you say?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the Challengers equipped with the Dozer Blades make short work of any Ork defences

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

bedpan posted:

How the hell did landmines, trenches, fortifications, obstacles, and prepared artillery become a surprise? Even the NAFO freaks were sharing pictures of the extensive Russian earthworks. You don't need to assume very much to say that landmines and prepared defensive plans go along with those.

"The enemy defeated us by a novel strategy: using bigger and more guns." WTF.

Everyone knows the Maginot Line failed and therefore fortifications are obsolete. Ukraine can just drive around them and fight where the mines aren't. Also the orks ran out of artillery shells last year, everyone knows this.

Its a case of falling for their own propaganda. The dumbshits thought the Russians really were green recruits cowering in shallow pits and clutching shovels, without any ammo for their guns. They've been saying it for over a year now, its burned in too deep to remember it was always just propaganda

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

Is this a real life example?

GOAT HERD would be either a signal or line on the map, but yeah, on your board you have a laminated map that you draw on with wax pencil that looks like this

and a white board with all of the signals and orders like that one. These are all of the things you have to keep track of on the fly. Briefly:

Fire Support Coordination Line (FSCL). It's always a solid black line on the map, usually at the top, as all of our work happens within it. It's set by the overall ground commander, behind which all artillery, air and naval gunfire support missions must be coordinated. That's to prevent incidents like in WW2 where 8th Airforce or Bomber Command did not fully coordinate with ground commanders and their ordnance dropped short.

No Fire Line (NFL). A line short of which which indirect fire systems do not fire except on request or approval of the commander who established the line—indirect fire systems may fire beyond the NFL at any time without danger to friendly troops. The NFL is set by Div- or Bde commanders. A Battalion commander can ask that one be established as well. The idea is to create a demarkation between where higher echelon guns are free to work - ahead of it - and where they need to be coordinated - short of it. The idea is to prevent Corps artillery from landing in the middle of the area of operations, while remaining free to hammer enemy concentrations beyond that without running everything through our (by then overworked) artillery staff or having to find out where the manoeuvre units are so shells don't land on them.

If you are planning out an advance you determine a series of NFLs and give them code names, so for example, until manoeuvre units radio to say they've reached Goat Herd, don't fire VT.

Sidebar, Americans call this the Coordinated Fire Line (CFL) and so it's a bit of a joke between us because theirs is the name of the Canadian football league and ours is the name of the American football league.

Airspace Coordination Area. This is particularly relevant for restricting VT as aircraft and helicopters will set them off, on top of the already dire consequences of a 155mm shell hitting a Blackhawk or whatever. There's a bunch more stuff that goes into it, including RCAF guys attached to staff, but that's the gist. It would be more relevant if we had Air Defence.

Free Fire Area (FFA). What it sounds like. You can even fire into the FFA to empty guns (rather than unloading), and tac air might jettison their bombs there too.

No Fire Area (NFA). The opposite, you need the overall commander to approve any fire whatsoever.

Restricted Fire Area. The RFA is established by manoeuvre battalion establishing HQ. The purpose is to regulate fire into an area according to restrictions that are imposed and in which fire that exceeds those will not be delivered without the HQ that issued it signing off. So, for example, infantry battalion commander wants to create craters or something, he could prohibit VT missions in his RFA.

Restrictive Fire Line (RFL). It's your "lane", so a buffer to prevent friendly fire into adjacent units and vice versa.

So, you can imagine that map, and then as I said a whiteboard with the timings and issuing HQs for all of these lines, as well as restrictions for each, and code names.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Fell Mood posted:

Yes. Because that's literally what the nazis told us at the end of WW2 when we asked them about how to fight the Soviets. And we believed them and based doctrine on it for 50 year's.

"Hey that guy who just kicked your rear end? How do I beat him?"

"Well first you have to understand he's a complete dipshit who just got lucky. I was superior in every way and he only won because blah blah blah slavs are orks"

nazi germany is totally that guy that just got his rear end whooped at the bar going "i totally would've won but i was wearing my flip flops"

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

What the gently caress? Does RTR really only have an eight week training cycle? Brits weight in please.

this seems ludicrous looking at it from the point of view of... working a job requiring any complex task at all.

quote:

Training Every Owner/Operator for Success

Through intensive, hands-on training programs, McDonald’s shows each Owner/Operator how to run a successful business and build a bright future. Our franchising system is built on the premise that McDonald’s can be successful only if our Owner/Operators are successful. We believe in a partnering relationship with our Owner/Operators, Suppliers and Employees. Through our world-class training program, you may become a restaurant franchise operational expert focused on providing an outstanding experience for our customers every day.

Training Program Highlights
12-18 months training in a restaurant
Self-directed, part-time training for 20 hours per week
Seminars, conferences and one-on-one training sessions
Success based on competency
Operator training classes conducted by local training professionals

If your average soldier can perfect combined arms warfare in 8 weeks I assume myself and every other clueless goon can become an elite operator in, say, 12 months

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
you advance under fire through a minefield with the army you have, not the army you want

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nix Panicus posted:

Human wave tactics you say?

"Initiate contact at multiple locations to dissipate the BTG's fire superiority and overload their fire-direction centre"

"BTGs field a brigade complement of artillery that outrange and outgun U.S. BCTs, but the BTGs only have a reinforced battalion of maneuver detectors. This is important because a BTG does not have the normal complement of mounted and dismounted personnel that would normally serve as forward observers. The ISR platforms must either serve double duty as forward observers, or maneuver personnel must move forward to the line of contact (LoC) to coordinate indirect fires. BTGs assume that fires and air-defense superiority gives them the freedom to employ long-range strikes whenever visual or electronic contact is made, regardless of infrastructure and civilian damage. Local fires superiority gives BTG artillery the confidence to remain in place, and it provides the BTG with constantly available indirect-fire support."

"Before shots are fired on the battlefield, a key task is to shape the battlefield by overloading the BTG’s critical systems. The BTG will attempt to defeat a BCT by concentrating effects on individual U.S. sub-units in sequence. Although several of the BTG’s high-end systems are technologically superior to the corresponding U.S. equipment, the BTG doesn’t have the capacity to observe, target and attack the BCT simultaneously across a broad front. Not only can a BCT maneuver three times as many formations, the decentralized nature of U.S. mission command allows each formation to maneuver simultaneously and independent of brigade-level direction. Therefore, the BTG must track, analyze and counter each movement. Unfortunately, the BTG is not resourced for a burden of that magnitude, and it doesn’t have formal reachback protocols to use higher levels of analysis."

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

everyone needs to discover for themselves that explosions really hurt

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
it's kind of weird that they telegraphed the offensive in the south for so long before actually launching it. If that was the plan all along, why not announce an imminent invasion of Belarus or something other than what you were actually going to do? The western press is completely subordinate to their governments at this point so it's not like they didn't have the means.

There, I've said it. Watch for news of a sudden Ukrainian blitzkreig into Belarus on Monday I guess.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I knew the killbots had a preset targeting limit, so I threw waves of my men at them until their sensors were overwhelmed and the dominos fell like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

it's kind of weird that they telegraphed the offensive in the south for so long before actually launching it. If that was the plan all along, why not announce an imminent invasion of Belarus or something other than what you were actually going to do? The western press is completely subordinate to their governments at this point so it's not like they didn't have the means.

There, I've said it. Watch for news of a sudden Ukrainian blitzkreig into Belarus on Monday I guess.

Its funny because that weird ad campaign of 'don't talk about the offensive' was like a week ago and everyone hailed it as next level genius, and then they immediately launched the offensive

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Throatwarbler posted:

Generating social media hype is a key part of Ukraine's strategy of getting the West to give them more guns

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

CNN posted:

Ukrainian forces have suffered losses in heavy equipment and soldiers as they met greater than expected resistance from Russian forces in their first attempt to breach Russian lines in the east of the country in recent days, two senior US officials tell CNN.

One US official described the losses – which include US supplied MRAP armored personnel vehicles as “significant.”

Ukrainian forces managed to overrun some Russian forces in the east around Bakhmut. However, Russian forces, armed with anti-tank missiles, grenades and mortars, have put up “stiff resistance,” with their forces dug into defensive lines that are several layers deep in some areas and marked by minefields that have taken a heavy toll on Ukrainian armored vehicles.

must be bad if that's what CNN is going with

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

hmmmmm, sounds like you're going to lose some men and equipment when you're on the offensive.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

hmmmmm, sounds like you're going to lose some men and equipment when you're on the offensive.

You're also supposed to achieve something in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
when russian tanks advance in columns and are destroyed in a minefield, its human wave tactics by incompetent commanders

when ukrainian tanks advance in columns and are destroyed in minefields, well offensive operations are just really tough and theyre doing the best they can