Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s not always true, hogwarts legacy was not a very good game but that boycott still failed horribly
Something I noticed about it is that when it came out, at least online, it got shouted down in a good number of places and folks were 'scared' to talk about it, but even in RL meat space it seemed to disappear off of people's tongues quite fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I know of a few people who bought it and tried it out but I can’t think of anyone who stuck with it.

I had the Sorcerer’s Stone game for GBA when I was a kid, and it was atrocious for a game based off an IP. The Jimmy Neutron game was more balanced for fucks sake.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

You're a loving billionaire techbro and you've never had a good piece of Pacific chinook? How is that even possible? You can get it at SEA-TAC airport for Christ's sake you utter goober.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Croccers posted:

Something I noticed about it is that when it came out, at least online, it got shouted down in a good number of places and folks were 'scared' to talk about it, but even in RL meat space it seemed to disappear off of people's tongues quite fast.

Well yeah because at the end of the day it was a big budget IP shovelware.

It’s just IP shovelware sells especially for Harry Potter which doesn’t have a ton of games relative to what it was and apparently still is

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elon's the kind of guy who will eat nothing but bacon because it was "le epic" on reddit 10 years ago

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/colynelliott/status/1666812324320256002?t=V_RX8dRXkQ0R2vpQ-EIltg&s=19

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
they

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, the decision to show young actors doing the thing is questionable. But like, even on the left it got specific criticism for choosing to have 3/4 titular Cuties be not-white-french while ignoring that it’s a semi-autobiography and who Maïnamoura Doucouré is.

Luckily she already had some accolades and she’s working on a biopic on Josephine Baker (first black woman in a studio film, american born french immigrée) so it’s not like her career was tanked

Seeing a poor choice blown into “netflix is selling softcore cp by a racist” was real dumb

e: the bullshit also helped kill her second film Hava, just sayin

Curious what this means. Why would it be criticized for having non-white people in it?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

PhazonLink posted:

The Cuties discouse is certainly slightly complicated, but maybe use the fact you might be on the same side as Ted Cruz or Rush, or some other massive pos regressive.

Worrying about which side you’d be on more than the actual issue is more of a Republican thing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jen heir rick posted:

Curious what this means. Why would it be criticized for having non-white people in it?

Because people(mostly US and Canada) saw the bad parts and assumed it having french immigrant kids was racism by the the director, and not, you know, reality? Because the story was focused on racism in France, and it would be nonsense if all the kids were white french?

It was left idiots criticizing a black, muslim, sénégalaise award winning director, that they didn't know was from that background, they had never heard of, for racism, because she portrayed reality using black kids. Yeah, the criticicism is often more racist than the actual film

especially because they can't even speak french so it's more often angry about a translation, or an angry right right wing lunatic on about sick wokies

If you are calling me a racist because I actually understand why it was that, well, gently caress you idiot

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote:

I have 3 little boys and I can recognize a boys piss....

I mean.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
If I remember the "Cuties" controversy right, what also didn't help was that when Netflix presented the movie to English-speaking audiences they chose a different poster than in France, one that was, uh, a lot more sexualizing of the girls.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lol where did you find a piss sommelier?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/PBeefz/status/1666886152652201984?t=3kGsG99KdnXcYLVKoozgIQ&s=19

"Do not defame me by saying I was charged with cruelty to a child! It was just domestic violence!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Read After Burning posted:

What caught my eye was this comment on a drive-in movie theater:

Maybe with enough wildfire smoke it will be impossible to see gore on the adjacent screen.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Henchman of Santa posted:

https://twitter.com/PBeefz/status/1666886152652201984?t=3kGsG99KdnXcYLVKoozgIQ&s=19

"Do not defame me by saying I was charged with cruelty to a child! It was just domestic violence!"

And yet:
https://twitter.com/noesecarino/status/1666901917904310274?t=wCEI3BxJdZB4e3CD2CF9EA&s=19

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

teen witch posted:

I know of a few people who bought it and tried it out but I can’t think of anyone who stuck with it.

I had the Sorcerer’s Stone game for GBA when I was a kid, and it was atrocious for a game based off an IP. The Jimmy Neutron game was more balanced for fucks sake.

Once upon a time movie license games were expected to be "ok, but forgettable" at best and that was just the law of the land and everyone was okay with it. When did that change? What game was the turning point?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mak0rz posted:

Once upon a time movie license games were expected to be "ok, but forgettable" at best and that was just the law of the land and everyone was okay with it. When did that change? What game was the turning point?

The LotR gauntlet clones were the best if you ask my tiny class

After that, garbage

Yeah claiming domestic violence but not willful cruelty to a child was your court deal

idk, in 99% of cases you did both

especially when you're wearing the no domestic violence t-shirt

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Jun 10, 2023

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Breakfast Burrito posted:

that article has a pretty misogynistic view of women "scary stuff is for boys, not being TOO scary is for girls" like, just because you use the word "coded" does not actually make it an academic point and ignores the rich history of women creating real good uncozy horror

The Mary Sue has been a proponent of the most simplistic, consumerist version feminism since it’s creation, and seeing so many women poo poo on that article is honestly satisfying.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

kazil posted:

my online name is Sephiroth420 please don't steal

I'm pretty sure it's kazil, actually

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Discord made him fight all the other sephiroths420 for the name and he lost in quarterfinals.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You're a loving billionaire techbro and you've never had a good piece of Pacific chinook? How is that even possible? You can get it at SEA-TAC airport for Christ's sake you utter goober.

I think he's bragging that he only likes raw or smoked salmon; like the way people are about the "correct" way to cook steak, but for a less popular and therefore higher status food?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tiggum posted:

I think he's bragging that he only likes raw or smoked salmon; like the way people are about the "correct" way to cook steak, but for a less popular and therefore higher status food?

I just assumed it's that he has the palette of a giant babby nerdlinger incel and an ego that means if he doesn't like it he doesn't understand how anyone else could.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
when he invited the wrong music lady for a threesome, the Music Lady said that musk and grimes where like feral kids left home alone and only eating peanut butter and cereal, they were amazed she knew how to cook eggs and make a hot breakfast.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PhazonLink posted:

when he invited the wrong music lady for a threesome, the Music Lady said that musk and grimes where like feral kids left home alone and only eating peanut butter and cereal, they were amazed she knew how to cook eggs and make a hot breakfast.

My favorite part of this story is that she said Grimes "smells like a roll of nickels"

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Oh my God I forgot about that whole incident

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Breakfast Burrito posted:

that article has a pretty misogynistic view of women "scary stuff is for boys, not being TOO scary is for girls" like, just because you use the word "coded" does not actually make it an academic point and ignores the rich history of women creating real good uncozy horror
Yeah, the weird sexism about "see, women like THIS kind of horror" stood out. And as some people have pointed out the article is also written like someone has just discovered horror and now thinks they have wild truths no one else has thought of, spitting "insights" many decades old, but also worse and less informed.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

My favorite part of this story is that she said Grimes "smells like a roll of nickels"

going by a nilered video, metal smells like us / human skin oil reacting with metal.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, the weird sexism about "see, women like THIS kind of horror" stood out. And as some people have pointed out the article is also written like someone has just discovered horror and now thinks they have wild truths no one else has thought of, spitting "insights" many decades old, but also worse and less informed.

As a woman who loves horror this poo poo is unfortunately common. I love the new haute, A24 horror but Christ some of the dumbest intellectual takes have stemmed from it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PhazonLink posted:

going by a nilered video, metal smells like us / human skin oil reacting with metal.

Alright fine, rolls of nickels smell like Grimes.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

The only great game I can think of that was based on a movie is Goldeneye.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ambitious Spider posted:

I also hate the lodge gently caress those kids. Stole her meds and killed her dog, and then I'm supposed to feel bad for them? hard no
I've not seen it, but I read the plot synopsis and... what the gently caress? They tormented a traumatized woman, gaslit her (traumatically!) to make her think she was going crazy/relive her horrific cult childhood, and killed her dog? Are they not just the villains?? Surely they're just the villains.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Khizan posted:

Spider-Man 2

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Khizan posted:

The Warriors.
That Spider-man game where Bruce Campbell is Mysterio.
Jedi Knight.
Super Mario Brothers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mak0rz posted:

I don't even think that ever did change, there were just rare exceptions. Most of which weren't actually games licensed to movies coming out right then, but were usually just games that happened to share the IP. (As mentioned, Goldeneye, The Warriors, technically most Star Wars games.)

What changed was that eventually studios just stopped making movie tie-in games for goddamn everything, probably around when HD gaming started coming around and suddenly the cost of making a game spiked up higher than the budget-to-profit ratio allowed. The last ones like that I can think of were the early MCU games Sega put out. After that point, the tie-ins stopped being the default and so the few licensed IPs you saw were the stuff that used to be the 'rare exceptions', where they clearly made a game in that property because they had an idea for that property, rather than just for the sake of it. A lot of it still sucks (see: Hogwarts Legacy, that Fast and the Furious game that came and went and nobody noticed), but it's got a higher hit rate.

And of course, throughout all this the Lego games are off doing their own thing and not really fitting any of those molds super clearly.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Jun 10, 2023

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Khizan posted:

Heard good things about escape from butcher bay?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The Mummy is a good metroidvania

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Amazing Spider-Man 1 was pretty good, but it doesn't really count cause they've been building on the Spidey game formula since the PS1.

X-Men Origins Wolverine was surprisingly good.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arkham Asylum felt like the turning point for me, a random Batman game from a relatively unknown studio? I had no expectations for it, then I played the demo and it was loving incredible.

Also the PS3/360 era was around the point where games got expensive enough to make that just making a crappy game to tie-in for a new movie release stopped being worth it. Look at how big the MCU got, and they stopped making games based on those movies after the first Captain America, there was no game for The Avengers movie, and nothing after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I found a lot of games even of the ps2 era that were not BAD, some of them had interesting ideas and were quite fun even if they weren't their generations Bayonetta. I think it's because a lot of them rip off successful games even if they don't do them as well, so something like Chicken LIttle: Ace in Action may not be brilliant but it borrows a lot from Ratchet and Clank so it has strong bones and some pretty funny writing too. On the other hand, I have a VERY high tolerance for poor gameplay, so I find a lot of games fun that other people hate.