Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BigFactory posted:

What would you be trying to avoid? I usually buy from the label or artist online unless some place is running a great sale.

Same.

The big trick for ordering from Amazon is ALWAYS select it as "send as a gift" so they have to put it in a box. Even if it is in a mailer they will put it in another box. It is a simple way to ensure your vinyl has a high chance of not being damaged.

Unless it is a new pressing of something undone or unobtainium I generally do a bit of research on pressings and find the best sounding one that I can afford. There is a LOT of catalog stuff getting repressed that you can get an original pressing for less than half the price used that sounds much better. Unless you live somewhere with a good shop Discogs is going to be your friend there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Pretty sure that there's something wrong with either the stylus and/or cartridge on my AT-LP120. The left channel is almost completely dead.

Haven't troubleshot it thoroughly yet, but assuming that there's a problem with one/both how stupid should I get with spending money on replacements?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ephori posted:

Drove three hours today each way to pick up a personal grail:

Altec voice of the theatre cabinets. They’re empty, but I’ve been collecting the components over the last couple years and the proper cabinets were that thing I needed. They’re superficially trashed, but structurally good with no water damage or anything. I’m beyond stoked.

The goal:

Just to follow up on my earlier post in the thread, I finished the speakers.

That Works posted:

Where do folks here generally buy their vinyl from (online)? Just curious as to what's good / what to avoid for sourcing particular stuff.

I get lots through Bandcamp.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

olives black posted:

Pretty sure that there's something wrong with either the stylus and/or cartridge on my AT-LP120. The left channel is almost completely dead.

Haven't troubleshot it thoroughly yet, but assuming that there's a problem with one/both how stupid should I get with spending money on replacements?

Update: The right channel is noticeably louder than the left, but this happens across multiple albums. I just tried it on another record and the levels were a lot closer (although the left channel was a lot quieter).

Assuming that this isn't a problem with my stylus/cartridge, is it normal for vinyl masters to favor the right channel or is the left channel just usually quieter?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

olives black posted:

Update: The right channel is noticeably louder than the left, but this happens across multiple albums. I just tried it on another record and the levels were a lot closer (although the left channel was a lot quieter).

Assuming that this isn't a problem with my stylus/cartridge, is it normal for vinyl masters to favor the right channel or is the left channel just usually quieter?

No, if it isn’t an issue with anti-skate then it’s probably your stylus, or something to do with the cartridge wires or output.

Fortunately, replacement styli for your AT cartridge (assuming it’s some generation of 95e) are cheap and easy to replace.

I’d check Anti skate and stylus, in that order. Then I’d start swapping the headshell wires around.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ok Comboomer posted:

No, if it isn’t an issue with anti-skate then it’s probably your stylus, or something to do with the cartridge wires or output.

Fortunately, replacement styli for your AT cartridge (assuming it’s some generation of 95e) are cheap and easy to replace.

I’d check Anti skate and stylus, in that order. Then I’d start swapping the headshell wires around.

The anti-skate is set to about .25 less than the counter-weight. The manual for the turntable suggests that I set that to the same setting as the counter-weight. Does that sound right, or should I set it to more/less?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

olives black posted:

The anti-skate is set to about .25 less than the counter-weight. The manual for the turntable suggests that I set that to the same setting as the counter-weight. Does that sound right, or should I set it to more/less?

Just play around with it and see if you can make it sound better. And realign your cartridge

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

olives black posted:

BigFactory posted:

Just play around with it and see if you can make it sound better. And realign your cartridge

Did you change the cartridge alignment at all? Is it the same cartridge that came with the turntable? It should be aligned from the factory

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Did you change the cartridge alignment at all? Is it the same cartridge that came with the turntable? It should be aligned from the factory

I have not messed with the cartridge in the 6 years since I bought it. It's the same one that came with the turntable.

Actually I take that back, I think I took it out to replace the stylus several months ago.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I should probably also mention that I'm basing this on the meters on my tape deck (both a 2-head Sony and a 2-head Nakamichi atm) and they both seem to do this, both with playback from the turntable and from professionally duplicated cassettes.

The difference is slight on most records, but I have a newer album where it's much greater.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

olives black posted:

I have not messed with the cartridge in the 6 years since I bought it. It's the same one that came with the turntable.

Actually I take that back, I think I took it out to replace the stylus several months ago.

Styluses get out of alignment sometimes. Break out the protractor and see if it’s off

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

olives black posted:

I should probably also mention that I'm basing this on the meters on my tape deck (both a 2-head Sony and a 2-head Nakamichi atm) and they both seem to do this, both with playback from the turntable and from professionally duplicated cassettes.

The difference is slight on most records, but I have a newer album where it's much greater.

Wait a second, your playback of cassettes is also low in one channel? If that's the case, it's clearly not a problem with the turntable. Or am I misunderstanding?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

wa27 posted:

Wait a second, your playback of cassettes is also low in one channel? If that's the case, it's clearly not a problem with the turntable. Or am I misunderstanding?

Yeah, on two different decks, across different tapes. Which is why I'm wondering if this is just a thing with cassettes/cassette decks.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Wait, I'm confused. Can you hear a channel imbalance, or are you feeding your turntable output to 2 different tape decks and inferring the channel imbalance from what you're seeing on the tape deck Vu meters? Or does your amplifier have its own Vu meters and you're seeing this on that? Do other albums on cassette also show this imbalance, or just the turntable output?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

olives black posted:

Yeah, on two different decks, across different tapes. Which is why I'm wondering if this is just a thing with cassettes/cassette decks.

So your phono is fine, but when you switch to tape one channel is low?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Mederlock posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Can you hear a channel imbalance, or are you feeding your turntable output to 2 different tape decks and inferring the channel imbalance from what you're seeing on the tape deck Vu meters? Or does your amplifier have its own Vu meters and you're seeing this on that? Do other albums on cassette also show this imbalance, or just the turntable output?

All cassettes appear to show at least a slightly lower left channel volume on the two cassette decks' vu meters.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

There's a lot going on here.

You can just swap the L+R RCA cables going from the turntable to the cassette deck and see if the problem flips. If it doesn't, then the turntable is fine.

You really should try a commercially released cassette if you have one. This talk of "professionally duplicated cassettes" sounds like you have a batch from one source, and it's entirely possible that his machine could be slightly low in one channel. If that's not the case and you're actually using commercial releases, then my apologies.

Lastly, what's your setup even look like? Is there an amp being used here? Typically you wouldn't go directly from a turntable into a cassette deck, unless you don't have speakers in this setup. Are you recording vinyl to cassettes?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

wa27 posted:

There's a lot going on here.

You can just swap the L+R RCA cables going from the turntable to the cassette deck and see if the problem flips. If it doesn't, then the turntable is fine.

I can try this.

wa27 posted:

You really should try a commercially released cassette if you have one. This talk of "professionally duplicated cassettes" sounds like you have a batch from one source, and it's entirely possible that his machine could be slightly low in one channel. If that's not the case and you're actually using commercial releases, then my apologies.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. Commercially released. Different bands and genres (HEALTH, Imperial Triumphant, some others).

wa27 posted:

Lastly, what's your setup even look like? Is there an amp being used here? Typically you wouldn't go directly from a turntable into a cassette deck, unless you don't have speakers in this setup. Are you recording vinyl to cassettes?

I'm using a turntable with an onboard pre-amp (Audio-Technica AT-LP120). It's switched to Line (rather than Phono) and being run directly into the cassette deck. (Not at the same time - I switched to another deck this morning to see if the behavior persisted, and it did). The recording level faders were dead even.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

ephori posted:

Just to follow up on my earlier post in the thread, I finished the speakers.

they turned out great

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

wa27 posted:

Just did this on my Nakamichi BX-100. Still seeing the volume meter on the right being a little higher than the left one.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Buy a 3000 hz testing tape from eBay. Your tape decks have pots inside them where you can adjust playback and record levels and speed. Get a frequency counter app for your phone to check and adjust the speed, use the volume meters to check that you have adjusted playback on both channels to the same level. Look up a reference signal on youtube, feed it to your tape decks through your phone, and adjust the record levels so that they are even.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

evobatman posted:

Buy a 3000 hz testing tape from eBay. Your tape decks have pots inside them where you can adjust playback and record levels and speed. Get a frequency counter app for your phone to check and adjust the speed, use the volume meters to check that you have adjusted playback on both channels to the same level. Look up a reference signal on youtube, feed it to your tape decks through your phone, and adjust the record levels so that they are even.

Thank you, this is the next step. Just strange to see this on 2 different decks from two different sellers using both commercially available tapes and turntable input.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Update: Just got the test tape and threw it in the Nakamichi BX-100. Yeah, the left channel is WAY off.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

olives black posted:

Update: Just got the test tape and threw it in the Nakamichi BX-100. Yeah, the left channel is WAY off.

Do you just need to adjust the balance on your receiver?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

BigFactory posted:

Do you just need to adjust the balance on your receiver?

No, I'm talking about the tape deck itself. The volume meters on the tape deck should be dead even.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

olives black posted:

No, I'm talking about the tape deck itself. The volume meters on the tape deck should be dead even.

Does the tape deck have balance? It might be in back. It’s just weird that two different tape decks have the same problem.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

BigFactory posted:

Does the tape deck have balance? It might be in back. It’s just weird that two different tape decks have the same problem.

I do not see a balance control anywhere on the tape deck.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m so loving confused

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m so loving confused

According to the tape seller, the 3000 Hz tone is recorded at the same level on the left and right channels.

This is the Nakamichi BX-100.

https://youtu.be/9Z--QaDdfb8

See the volume meters on the front there, to the right of the cassette well? The left channel is lower than the one on the right when I play the test tape.

Unless I'm missing something about how tape decks work, That Should Not Be Happening. The meters should be dead even.

olives black fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 10, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

How much lower? Can you hear the difference?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

wa27 posted:

How much lower? Can you hear the difference?

I hear a slight difference between when I hold my ear up to the left speaker and when I hold it up to the right speaker.

With the test tone playing, the left channel's level holds at one mark below the 0 line, and the right channel's level holds at one mark above the +5 line.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

olives black posted:

According to the tape seller, the 3000 Hz tone is recorded at the same level on the left and right channels.

This is the Nakamichi BX-100.

https://youtu.be/9Z--QaDdfb8

See the volume meters on the front there, to the right of the cassette well? The left channel is lower than the one on the right when I play the test tape.

Unless I'm missing something about how tape decks work, That Should Not Be Happening. The meters should be dead even.

yeah but….wasn’t this originally about your turntable stylus? And like something about two different tape decks having the same problem? I’m still not any less confused

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but….wasn’t this originally about your turntable stylus? And like something about two different tape decks having the same problem? I’m still not any less confused

It was originally about the turntable stylus. After swapping the left and right cables going from the turntable to the Line In ports on the deck, I found that there was still a difference between the left and right channels when I played the same song on the turntable.

So... what I did was get a 3000hz test tone tape (which, according to the tape seller, was recorded in mono, so both the left and right channels have the same volume as far as I know). I then stuck that tape into the Nakamichi BX-100, shown in the video above.

Again, unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how tape decks work, I should see equal measurements on the tape deck's volume meters when I hit Play on the test tape. I do not see that. The left channel's volume measurement holds at one mark below the 0 line, and the right channel's volume measurement holds at one mark above the +5 line.

olives black fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 10, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

olives black posted:

It was originally about the turntable stylus. After swapping the left and right cables going from the turntable to the Line In ports on the deck, I found that there was still a difference between the left and right channels when I played the same song on the turntable.

So... what I did was get a 3000hz test tone tape (which, according to the tape seller, was recorded in mono, so both the left and right channels have the same volume as far as I know). I then stuck that tape into the Nakamichi BX-100, shown in the video above.

Again, unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how tape decks work, I should see equal measurements on the tape deck's volume meters when I hit Play on the test tape. I do not see that. The left channel's volume measurement holds at one mark below the 0 line, and the right channel's volume measurement holds at one mark above the +5 line.

If there is an issue with volume when you’re using your turntable and 2 different tape decks, I’d be looking at your receiver. Other than that, I have no idea what’s going on. What are the two faders to the right of the VU meters?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

BigFactory posted:

If there is an issue with volume when you’re using your turntable and 2 different tape decks, I’d be looking at your receiver. Other than that, I have no idea what’s going on. What are the two faders to the right of the VU meters?

Those are for recording levels. AFAIK those only come into play when Record is pressed.

I don't think that the receiver has anything to do with the measurements on the VU meters. Those are measuring one of two things:

1. The levels of a tape being played back
2. The levels of a source that's connected to Line In

The turntable has only ever been plugged directly into the tape deck. It has an onboard phono pre-amp that's switched to Line In. It's not going through the receiver or some other chain.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

olives black posted:

I dunno sounds like you have an old cap or something sapping current inside the tape deck or something

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Mederlock posted:

I dunno sounds like you have an old cap or something sapping current inside the tape deck or something

Great. Sounds like I'm taking this thing back in.

Thanks for the info!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

1st time getting into Vinyl, bought a AT-LPW30 off of Amazon.

it shows up with the speed selector dial broken (cover wasn't glued, spins around without moving the switch, comes right off. Drive belt seemingly was stretched out, after setting everything up it played very slow and at inconsistent speed then after 20-30 seconds of playing just could not even turn the turntable even without the tonearm / needle on the record.

Just sent it all back for a refund, ordered a replacement directly from the AT website instead of Amazon... fun start to this so far.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

olives black posted:

There are level adjustment pots inside your tape deck. Google a service manual to find them. That's where you adjust the output volume of each channel to make them even,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

evobatman posted:

There are level adjustment pots inside your tape deck. Google a service manual to find them. That's where you adjust the output volume of each channel to make them even,

Gonna give this a shot. Thanks!