Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Gil Thorp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Does Blind Alley actually have a story? Would these make more sense if I read them all together in a book? I feel like we get a series of tantalizing scenes but there are huge chunks of information missing.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Drimble Wedge posted:

Does Blind Alley actually have a story? Would these make more sense if I read them all together in a book? I feel like we get a series of tantalizing scenes but there are huge chunks of information missing.

There is a story but we're not allowed to know what it is.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Giant Ethicist posted:

I think it's just the it's completely obvious to everyone but Rie that it's a date, and Miss Haru knows it'd be pretty much impossible to convince her otherwise thanks. I mean, she led the conversation with "A date, eh?"
Haraiso Days

Dress made out of curtains huh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8wVvGQ0P4Y&t=878s

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

CzarChasm posted:

Shame on you. You're better than this Marciuliano. This is just lazy.

:siren: NERD ALERT :siren:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Drimble Wedge posted:

Tendales posted:

There is a story but we're not allowed to know what it is.

Pretty sure the author admitted recently that he gave up on the overall story so it can just be enjoyed as a slice of life. Which is great since it was at 100-200+ strips without committing to a thing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what happened to the women's football/soccer strip? sorry, I'm bad at titles, but i liked it

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Doomykins posted:

Pretty sure the author admitted recently that he gave up on the overall story so it can just be enjoyed as a slice of life. Which is great since it was at 100-200+ strips without committing to a thing.

Is that true? I haven't seen him say anything like that on my end. Plus he still seems to be slowly introducing/moving around plot elements in a purposeful manner. Granted, BA never really had a "plot" in a traditional sense but the author does seem to be going somewhere (albeit in a very slow and laid back manner which might not be everyone's cup of tea).

Drimble Wedge posted:

It definitely reads better in a dedicated sitting but even then there's still a lot that doesn't make sense yet. Keep in mind that the comic's primary focus is more on little slice of life emotional moments rather than a traditional three act structure. You're supposed to read it more like you would Peanuts than you would something like, I don't know, Broodhollow.

(Damnit, now I miss Broodhollow)

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

readingatwork posted:

(Damnit, now I miss Broodhollow)

I hope Straub is doing okay now, I think he dropped Broodhollow after some health issues.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

"I'm not owned! I'm... I'm not..."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Breadmaster posted:

I hope Straub is doing okay now, I think he dropped Broodhollow after some health issues.

Yeah it was a good comic.

Like Cucumber Quest :0(

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

hexwren posted:

what happened to the women's football/soccer strip? sorry, I'm bad at titles, but i liked it

New strips are maybe coming up.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Impressive work by the colorist here.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

~Coxy posted:

Gil Thorp

:golfclap:

Next strip, Gil dies of an aneurysm.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I hope May and that dude at the end hit it off because Planck sure does have the "I'm madly in love with your sister and stringing you along again" look in his eyes when dealing with her!

Wow Copper is such a loving dick to his team, can't wait to see him burn all his bridges, quit the Meteors and realize too late he's blacklisted by the industry. :allears: Get owned harder you bastard.

readingatwork posted:

Is that true? I haven't seen him say anything like that on my end.

I'm remembering it as another poster mentioning it in thread. :shrug:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 08, 1957)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy Comics that go hard

Spoiler for Asian stereotypes

Pluggers are.. ah gently caress!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

~Coxy posted:

Gil Thorp

Oh god, I laughed so hard at this.

manero posted:

gently caress you, Bob Goldmann of Gainesville, GA! They are not and you can't make me believe otherwise!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

And that wraps up the dinner arc! Back to the regular two-a-day tomorrow.

Popcom

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/9/03

Stephen Collins

Suella Braverman.

Brenda Starr 2/22-24/51

Hank is a pretty laid-back mom, to no one's surprise.

Smokey Stover 2/27/55

Everyday Movies 7/1/36

"No, let's not pretend we're at the beach. We did that all last summer. Let's pretend we're in the country."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/21-23/41

That's a very dramatic first panel.

I wonder if the whole business with the duplicate Floggin was to ensure there was someone benevolent to take over the orphanage once Scourer and Wort got theirs.

And, as predicted, there will be no explanation for why there's a secret prison cell under the orphanage.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 10, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Scarlet rules, emptyquote.

Jucika "70 - Jucika at the Zoo"

Just an amazing lion, every time I see him.

"71 - Jucika's Sunday Lunch"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Storefri

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1labg6_380

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Doomykins posted:

Scarlet rules, emptyquote.

Jucika "70 - Jucika at the Zoo"

Just an amazing lion, every time I see him.

I choose to believe he's not even a lewd lion, he's just seen enough slapstick movies and its waiting for his cue to roar when she turns around and sees him. He really looks forward to it!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
https://twitter.com/RealHeathcliffs/status/1667562368992247811

https://twitter.com/Tiny_cliff/status/1667543376219054080

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hippocrass posted:

Krazy Kat(February 4, 1917) timged for light Mexican stereotyping but it;s mostly just cops being cops.

I was just reading somewhere yesterday about how the backgrounds of Krazy Kat are deliberately not kept consistent panel-to-panel in order to maintain the vibe and wow is that hard to unnotice.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

manero posted:

Nancy Comics that go hard

Spoiler for Asian stereotypes

These Nancy strips are definitely racist in an absolute sense, but I have to wonder whether, in their historical context, they humanize a hated racial category by presenting an Asian boy as an equal to and friend of Nancy and the gang.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

]
I wonder if the whole business with the duplicate Floggin was to ensure there was someone benevolent to take over the orphanage once Scourer and Wort got theirs.

And, as predicted, there will be no explanation for why there's a secret prison cell under the orphanage.

My theory is that depicting a rightfully-appointed orphaneer being a wrong-un raises questions about who appointed him, why did they never check, is this sort of thing going on all the time and how can we stop it... but there's no accounting for doppelgangers with underground cells.
Also, cutting away from a combination car chase gun fight to a man sitting on a park bench is very funny.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

If a man really wants to cheat he will find a way to make it happen. The real question is why you are dating a person you think wants to cheat on you.

Gil Thorp

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I have to admit, up to this point I've been assuming they were gonna hit us with the twist that something went fucky and they ended up back on Earth, just shrunk down.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Chofu is a suburb of Tokyo.

Hwurmp posted:

gonna be extremely salty if Cthu-Pin interrupts
Cthulhu and Girl

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GOD DAMMIT

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

thisusedyet posted:

Wait a poo poo minute? I don't think this guy understands cursing
I didn't even realize he did that. I'm impressed he got that in.

manero posted:

I know it from 80s music collection advertisement I saw on TV.

Granted that was a long time ago and I'm certainly older than I was then but...oh, dammit.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/20-22/50