Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lucifunk posted:

I don't think I've ever read a bad Kelly Thompson book. I believe she may be the only writer in comics that understands people in New Orleans don't speakbl like Pepe Le Pew as well.

Gambit say you must be kidding, cher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Changing how gambit speaks is a literal war crime

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
In Heroes In Crisis she was holding her own against Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, so I guess that's her power level now.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

He could use a mustache like Batroc's. Just lean into it.

New Orleans is a total homer town. Gambit is beloved, as well as his Mississippi wife. They should be part of a Krewe in a story. Gambit tossing exploding plastic beads, coins, and cups at drunk tourists from Ohio.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thranguy posted:

In Heroes In Crisis she was holding her own against Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, so I guess that's her power level now.

At the same time? What?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Darth Nat posted:

The one question I always have when Harley shows up on teams like this is why anyone would actually want to recruit her. I don't even really understand why Waller would want her on the Suicide Squad. Like, I understand from a business perspective--she's a popular character--and I understand from a team dynamics standpoint--you want the "Howling Mad" Murdoch archetype--but I don't understand why someone like Black Canary would willingly add her to their team. She's not particularly strong or skilled. She's reasonably smart and clever, but not more so than a dozen other characters that aren't crazy loose cannons.

I guess I'll just have to see. I'm still excited for the title, I just hope it doesn't turn into the "Harley Quinn and her four babysitters" book.

WILDCARD BITCHES!! YEEEEHAAWWWW!!!

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Air Skwirl posted:

At the same time? What?

It was a Tom King comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darth Nat posted:

It was a Tom King comic.

I know, but still? I get her out smarting Batman, she did that in the Timm/Dini cartoon and they invented her, and I kinda get her crazy and Superman's moral code leading her to escape him, but I feel like Wonder Woman just wouldn't have time for her nonsense and body her immediately. Not kill her, but just slam her down and lasso her.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Man, imagine going back 30 years and telling folks the goofy jester sidekick gal in this new cartoon is gonna end up on practically every other DC superteam, be the star of several films, and one of DC’s most popular characters after Bats. They’d think you were out of your fuckin’ mind.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Sentinel Red posted:

Man, imagine going back 30 years and telling folks the goofy jester sidekick gal in this new cartoon is gonna end up on practically every other DC superteam, be the star of several films, and one of DC’s most popular characters after Bats. They’d think you were out of your fuckin’ mind.

90s BTAS Fan: “I really love Joker’s girlfriend. She’s so fun and wacky!”

Jaded Modern Person: “Ugh, Harley Quinn. She’s everywhere now. She’s basically DC’s Deadpool.”

90s Fan: “…Rob Liefeld’s Deathstroke knockoff?”

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Harley Quinn is a character I normally enjoy in a comedy focused solo title, but it is such an uninspired choice for a team book. Honestly I was hoping for Red Canary but maybe that character has run her course like every other plot thread from Dark Crisis Requiem For All Worlds 3: The New Generation Rises (or whatever it ended up being called).

Someone like Red Canary or heck even Naomi not written by Bendis would be way more interesting. A good POV character learning the super hero ropes is a great addition, and it just isn't as exciting if it is a character who has been around for 30 years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

thetoughestbean posted:

90s BTAS Fan: “I really love Joker’s girlfriend. She’s so fun and wacky!”

Jaded Modern Person: “Ugh, Harley Quinn. She’s everywhere now. She’s basically DC’s Deadpool.”

90s Fan: “…Rob Liefeld’s Deathstroke knockoff?”

What’s really funny is when’s the last time you saw Deadpool.

He was everywhere and then just completely disappeared

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He just got a new monthly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Started watching the Harley Quinn cartoon show and it is genuinely great.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Azubah posted:

He just got a new monthly.

And he’s in X-Force recently

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Joe Fisto posted:

And he’s in X-Force recently

And in the new Uncanny Avengers run coming up.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Robin vol 2 #25 aged liked milk

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you gonna explain what that means or...?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Google says Robin failed to stop a school shooting.

quote:

Tim Drake becomes acutely aware of a gun problem in his school and tries to solve it in both his civilian guise and as Robin. He, Spoiler and Green Arrow take down some gun runners, and as Tim Drake he informs the principal of the situation, but he is too late. Before long, Karl Ranck is dead, killed by a bullet from Young El's gun in a pointless gunfight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Illegal gun running has absolutely nothing to do with school shootings.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Considering the comic came.out in 1996 and was probably tied school shootings (or teens shooting other teens) with gang violence I can see how they came to that conclusion. There were shootings before Columbine but it seems like before Columbine people were more afraid of gangs than anything else.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There is a "school shooting" subplot in Robin Vol. 2 that begins at the end of issue #24 and runs until #26. It is full of racism and American centrist pablum.

Issue #24

Issue #25

So then the white kid ends up dead.

Issue #27 is about Karl's funeral while spoiler and Robin track down Karl's "killer" who is from and hiding out in the city. Here is the ending after the capture.

It feels like a very American subplot. The problems are only real when they enter you safespace. The problems are caused by invaders. The system is incapable of dealing with the problem. Americans need to take justice into their own hands. Responsibly.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The robin subplot is a fine example of why doing a "very special story" about real world problems really doesn't work with Batman and Robin. The characters themselves are frequently protryaed as very out of touch rich people whose only idea to combat societal problems is to lock them up.

In the 70s and some of the 80s, Batman while as Bruce Wayne would try to dump Wayne money into community projects to help with poverty which was acknowledged as a prime reason crime exists. That went away when the Reagen revolution happened.

It really is fascinating reading these stories and watching America politics change through the lens of batman.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 11, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Air Skwirl posted:

Illegal gun running has absolutely nothing to do with school shootings.
I think it speaks to how hosed up the US is that you can mention School Shooting and it's not "someone shot a gun in school" and instead like "someone did the North Hollywood Shootout in a school!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah this isn’t really about a school shooting it’s more about a shooting at a school

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I do love Dana and Tim both explaining to Tim's dad that Tim ain't no snitch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be honest reading those panels I don’t have anything against them they seem fine.

If your problem is that super heroes are doing super hero things then I don’t know why this particular story is being shown. Just continue to do the lame Batman is actually the bad guy blah blah stuff for the last two decades

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest reading those panels I don’t have anything against them they seem fine.
Youre ok with the jockboy going "Tim, yours is ok, she's one of the good ones" while dropping dogwhistles so loud that ears on OA were ringing?

E:// i'm not even sure what Batman's whole speech was about.

"He saw something beyond the courts and laws, Robin. HE SAW MEEEEE!"

Like, uh, does that mean anything to a pastiche that implies their day-to-day is some B-plot from Boyz In The Hood? Dude sees and lives through poo poo outside of the commonalities of law every day.

Also guns are bad.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 11, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Youre ok with the jockboy going "Tim, yours is ok, she's one of the good ones" while dropping dogwhistles so loud that ears on OA were ringing?

I mean yes the white family is being pretty openly racist but I assume that’s the point. He isn’t exactly being subtle about it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also, that Black kid would absolutely be charged as an adult and you'd have a 15 year old in adult jail for over a decade. It would not be a short stint in juvie.

Hillary Clinton in 1996 posted:

They are often connected to big drug cartels, they are not just gangs of kids anymore. They are often the kinds of kids that are called superpredators — no conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first, we have to bring them to heel.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 11, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, that whole thing is very much not good, but it is also of its pre-Columbine time for, uh... mostly worse.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Air Skwirl posted:

Also, that Black kid would absolutely be charged as an adult and you'd have a 15 year old in adult jail for over a decade. It would not be a short stint in juvie.

Yeah that rhetoric was pretty common—a lot of the black community supported the crime bill at the time, too.

Reading what was presented, it didn’t seem super awful? Like, the white kid with the gun is clearly presented as deeply in the wrong

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Narratively the onus seems to be sitting here on the white kid, and if Karl von Hitler here hadn't "started none," there would have "been none." I would agree it is pretty loud and brassy but the message of "Do not take guns to school" seems sound, even if nowadays the concern would be that Karl there shows up with an AR-15 and starts blasting as the GCPD huddles outside.

e: Clayface, working as a substitute teacher in a B-plot over the last seven issues, reveals himself to stop Karl, either ruining his cover and reputation OR getting killed anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What is Clayface up to lately? Last I read with him was the JT4's Detective run where he was helping Cass with her language skills through Shakespeare.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Reading the "Contagion" crossover for the Batman titles and this thing could have been about half the length it was.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
At least Contagion was a focussed event. Wait til you get to Legacy (ie the unnecessary sequel)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

At least Contagion was a focussed event. Wait til you get to Legacy (ie the unnecessary sequel)

Maybe it will turn out like the weird unnecessary knightsend sequel "Prodigal" and be good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Maybe it will turn out like the weird unnecessary knightsend sequel "Prodigal" and be good.

Remember this post for when you finish Legacy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao the deus ex machina ending of Contagion. Dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So I'm reading this "New Champion of Shazam" volume and it is uh...
A bit on the nose?