Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Worst Spot of the Year: Fred Rosser forces a kiss on Toni Storm (Fred Rosser vs. Juice Robinson at NJPW STRONG Resurgence - May 22nd, 2023)

Just incredibly weird and uncomfortable. The crowd thankfully booed as it was happening and Riccaboni repeatedly stated how hosed up it was for Fred to go there, but those small mercies alone don't wash away the stain on what was otherwise a great match.

i saw a clip of this and it sucked. nth. dont do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Worst Spot of the Year: Fred Rosser forces a kiss on Toni Storm (Fred Rosser vs. Juice Robinson at NJPW STRONG Resurgence - May 22nd, 2023)

Just incredibly weird and uncomfortable. The crowd thankfully booed as it was happening and Riccaboni repeatedly stated how hosed up it was for Fred to go there, but those small mercies alone don't wash away the stain on what was otherwise a great match.

Oh yeah jumping in to agree, it absolutely ruined the match and completely turned me against Rosser. Just a loving stupid, tone-deaf, pointless and gross thing that completely took me out of the match.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Segment of the year - Mahiro Kiryu travels through space and time - TJPW Presents HYPE! A Hyper Misao Produce Show May 25th

This was loving incredible, a must see for any TJPW fan. Year of Kiryu baby, never wavered

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

SG Bamboo posted:

Segment of the year - Mahiro Kiryu travels through space and time - TJPW Presents HYPE! A Hyper Misao Produce Show May 25th

This was loving incredible, a must see for any TJPW fan. Year of Kiryu baby, never wavered

Nth, it was superb.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

SG Bamboo posted:

Nth, it went from one of the funniest things I've ever seen in wrestling to a genuinely powerful and emotional character arc with an incredible ending. I want the world to see this show.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

weapon spot of the year: karen jarrett and aubrey edwards, aew Double or nothing ‘23

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Nuclear Heat of the Year: Don Callis saying anything (Dynamite, 5/31)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PlasticAutomaton posted:

nth

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PlasticAutomaton posted:

nth

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Nth.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Nth

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Christian watching from the back like "drat that guy's good"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Kiryu's never really stood out all that much to me in TJPW, and I didn't understand a word of what she and Misao and the other assorted characters were saying during that whole (very long!) segment, but by the end of it I was ready to kill for her. That was loving incredible pro-wrestling nonsense with a shockingly emotional climax.

So yeah... nth!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

PlasticAutomaton posted:

nth, simply amazing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah that Callis heat was loving incredible, big Nth.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Kiryu's never really stood out all that much to me in TJPW, and I didn't understand a word of what she and Misao and the other assorted characters were saying during that whole (very long!) segment, but by the end of it I was ready to kill for her. That was loving incredible pro-wrestling nonsense with a shockingly emotional climax.

So yeah... nth!

The Dramatic DDT writeup is well worth the read, if only to reinforce that Mahiro Kiryu is your new favourite wrestler

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Came across even crazier in the arena. At least on tv, you could still hear what he was saying, I couldn't hear him at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

The Dramatic DDT writeup is well worth the read, if only to reinforce that Mahiro Kiryu is your new favourite wrestler

Thank you, drat that was really quite sweet :shobon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Betrayal of the Year Candidate: Dan Maloney, NJPW Dominion, 04/06

:argh:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Best Match Announcement of the Year Candidate: Okada vs Danielson - NJPW Dominion, 04/06

You wanna wrestle Bryan Danielson? You call yourself the Rainmaker, but you step in the ring with me, and you're getting into the loving DESERT, and there ain't gonna be no rain."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hoss Corncave posted:

Best Match Announcement of the Year Candidate: Okada vs Danielson - NJPW Dominion, 04/06

You wanna wrestle Bryan Danielson? You call yourself the Rainmaker, but you step in the ring with me, and you're getting into the loving DESERT, and there ain't gonna be no rain."

2nd. It was so loving cool.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Moment of the Year: Bully Ray shouting "MY BALLS!" after being on the receiving end of a Wazzup Headbutt, Impact Wrestling Against All Odds 6/9

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Moment of the Year: Bully Ray shouting "MY BALLS!" after being on the receiving end of a Wazzup Headbutt, Impact Wrestling Against All Odds 6/9

WHERE WAS TAZ?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Edward Mass posted:

Sounds like he just ripped off everyone's favourite Nia Jax moment, when she screamed "MY BUTT! MY HOLE"

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Sounds like he just ripped off everyone's favourite Nia Jax moment, when she screamed "MY BUTT! MY HOLE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37JQ1YQrGV0

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
HM: Worst Promo of the Year:

Storytime with Adam Cole & MJF Dynamite 6/7/23

I'm not an MJF guy, but he gets a C+ on this one. Cole however, gets an F.

Both guys broke the cardinal rule of wrestling by severely downplaying the other's ability:

Cole states that MJF isn't good on the mic and is juicing. So, if he loses to MJF (and he will), he'll have lost to a roided out loser, who nobody in the back respects.

MJF at least said that he said Cole USED to be great, but has fallen off since arriving in AEW. Meaning that if Cole beats MJF (he won't); that Max lost to an out of shape, balding, declining Cole.

There were a couple of good shots that kinda fell into the low-hanging fruit category, but this was not the original Punk/MJF confrontation. There was some good character continuity for both guys, as Cole seemed to get a bit more serious when Britt was brought up, and that Max loses his poo poo when someone turns their back on him.

There's so much that could have been said here.

Cole should have focused on Max's path to the title, and how he only defends when required to, and focused on how his own passion would make him a better champ.

Max should have retorted that he based a lot of his career on Cole's; especially the part of using others as a ladder to get what he wants, and the only difference between them is that he's better. Could have planted some intrigue with how Cole used Strong to get at Jericho, or brought up how Kyle O'Reilly is a distant memory now that Cole can't use him anymore.

But, alas.

After this and that feud with Jericho, I'm ready for Cole to be a tag team guy, or focus on Twitch.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Cole wasn't saying that MJF lacks ability, he was saying he takes shortcuts, which is a recurring theme with MJF.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/dragongatentwk/status/1667810940044341248
Cutest Segment of the Year:

Natural Vibes sing Happy Birthday to a little girl who was picked to be the gong kid (opening bell ringer). Around 1:10 they ask who her favorite Dragongate wrestler is. She says it's Susumu, who hasn't been in their stable since a year ago and is a Toryumon veteran, so it's kind of wild that he'd be a 5 year old's favorite. :3:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Kid appreciates his consistent workrate

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

NutShellBill posted:

Could have planted some intrigue with how Cole used Strong to get at Jericho, or brought up how Kyle O'Reilly is a distant memory now that Cole can't use him anymore.

Kyle is out injured. It would be profoundly weird to bring him up unless he was about to return.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Clusterfuck of the Year: The end of AEW Dynamite 6/14

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Came in here to post these exact words, goddamn that was great stuff.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

PlasticAutomaton posted:

That is like, the essence of wrestling television at its best. So good

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Line of the Year - ZSJ telling Daniel Garcia to Pack it in Daniel - AEW Dynamite 6/14

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PlasticAutomaton posted:

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Line of the Year - ZSJ telling Daniel Garcia to Pack it in Daniel - AEW Dynamite 6/14

Nth

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Nth.

Line of the Year - Darby tells Jericho he's lost the magic - AEW Dynamite 6/14

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PlasticAutomaton posted:

nth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Biggest Explosions of the Year (in wrestling, there's probably bigger ones in warfare)
11th June
All Japan Dynamite Series Night 1
All Asia Tag Team Title
Barbed Wire Double Barricade Mat Megaton Current Blast Deathmatch

Atsushi Onita & Yoshitatsu(c) vs Hikaru Sato & Ryo Kawamura
Skip to 38 minutes to watch

Rarely have their been a more appropriately named show than the Dynamite Series tour kicking off with this match on the card as Atsushi Onita brings his circus to the promotion he got his start in. And holy loving poo poo am I glad I'm not in the ring when those explosives go off because they sounded loud enough to blow out eardrums. It's really cool & I hope Tony Khan takes notes if he ever does another explosion deathmatch. Less is more? No, more is definitely more.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Biggest Explosions of the Year (in wrestling, there's probably bigger ones in warfare)

And this is why Onita won't retire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
watch Onita start a loving war