Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
turchin has been saying everythings gonna go to poo poo in this this and this way for like 8 years, being mostly right about it the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/overexposed-us-regional-banks-could-sell-commercial-property-loans-2023-05-17/ | https://archive.is/Ceand

quote:

21% of all commercial mortgages will default

A quick glance at St Louis fed shows about 10% delinquency rate in the early 1990s coasting down to about 1% right before 2007, and has been under 2% since 2014. Most recent peak was 8.9% in 2010

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DRCRELEXFACBS

I don't think this is doomerism since it's not speculation but instead actual facts

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/more-trouble-for-downtown-sf-as-owner-of-hilton-parc-55-cease-payments-on-hotel-properties/

quote:

the investment firm that owns two of the city’s major hotels announced it would cease paying the loans and surrender the properties to the bank. Payments toward the $725 million non-recourse loan ceased in June, according to a news release from Park Hotels & Resorts Inc., which operates the Hilton San Francisco Union Square and the Parc 55 San Francisco.

The Hilton has 1,921 rooms, while the Parc has 1,024 rooms.

For additional context, these are two of the larger hotels in the primary downtown SF tourist district, although kind of at the edge of it. It's still pretty incredible to see someone walk away from what ought to be a blue chip trophy property. Not one but two trophy hotels

Double edit: these two hotels represent 10% of the hotel rooms in San Francisco proper

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 6, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Double edit: these two hotels represent 10% of the hotel rooms in San Francisco proper

Crazy, those are nice hotels. But I guess it's all a function of how much debt they were running (apparently a lot).

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Anecdotal, but I stayed in a Hilton in SF a few months ago and it was dirt cheap. Around $130 including taxes and fees for a Friday night. Occupancy must be way, way down.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Baddog posted:

Crazy, those are nice hotels. But I guess it's all a function of how much debt they were running (apparently a lot).

Most commercial real estate is highly leveraged. CRE financing and how it works is why you drive by buildings with tons of empty offices with above market rates per sq/foot.

Tbh it’s a bit doomer but I could see how CRE essentially collapsing due to more wfh and fully remote jobs could cascade into a recession as CRE gets downgraded and lenders try to liquidate pricing will drop meaning even more lenders will want the loans off their books. Especially in a rising rate environment where the original loans are negotiated at like 1.5-2% they could become “toxic assets” if they are forced to mark them to market.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I looked into this some more, the two hotels were bought using a "Non-Recourse CMBS Loan". So they didn't even have to look for a buyer and sell it at a(n additional) loss. They can just walk away and the underwriter can't go after their assets

Apparently this link shows they discussed how this will improve their balance sheet, but it won't open on my phone

https://www.pkhotelsandresorts.com/~/media/Files/P/Park-Hotels/reports-and-presentations/investor-presentation-june-2023.pdf

Strong Sauce posted:

SA didn't attach my image

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 6, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

So I looked into this some more, the two hotels were bought using a "Non-Recourse CMBS Loan". So they didn't even have to look for a buyer and sell it at a(n additional) loss. They can just walk away and the underwriter can't go after their assets

I don't know piss all about how this stuff works, but the whole situation surrounding some of these big corporate loans right now smells like people were getting dumb when money was cheap and everyone was chasing insane poo poo for whatever returns they could get, and a whole lot of poo poo is going to tighten up as lenders realize "oh holy poo poo sometimes people don't pay back their loans and that's bad for us."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

At the beginning of the pandemic people were worried about another credit crisis driven by collateralized loan obligations (CLOs), which are basically structured like collateralized debt obligations (CDOs) but involve commercial loans rather than residential mortgages. It seemed like we'd gotten through that unscathed, but I guess it's still early.

edit:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know piss all about how this stuff works, but the whole situation surrounding some of these big corporate loans right now smells like people were getting dumb when money was cheap and everyone was chasing insane poo poo for whatever returns they could get, and a whole lot of poo poo is going to tighten up as lenders realize "oh holy poo poo sometimes people don't pay back their loans and that's bad for us."

It's basically this, with the added bonus that (IIRC) some of the regulation coming out of the 2008 crisis was pretty specific to CDOs so investing in CLOs was a way to get around it.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 6, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah couple posts up thread I quoted myself about the FRED statistic for commercial real estate default rates. They've been extremely low since like 2010

ultrafilter posted:

At the beginning of the pandemic people were worried about another credit crisis driven by collateralized loan obligations (CLOs), which are basically structured like collateralized debt obligations (CDOs) but involve commercial loans rather than residential mortgages.

Walk us through the difference between CLO and CDO again please

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CLO vs CDO has a pretty high-level overview. The tl;dr is that there are some minor differences beyond the underlying securities, but they're both securitized bundles of loans (and CLOs maybe aren't as closely tied to commercial mortgages as I originally remembered). But in terms of how investors can get mired in good-looking crappy debt and what could happen if they do, the two classes of securities are pretty similar.

In looking for an overview, I found a few sources arguing that CLOs and CDOs are different because CLOs have never defaulted and I just kinda want to scream a little bit now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Interesting take

Voodoofly posted:

Almost every commercial loan is non recourse to the borrower. Especially a CMBS loan which requires a bankruptcy remote SPE as a borrower. This isn’t some sort of special situation. It looks like the loan was maturing in November so presumably there is a large balloon payment and the borrower decided it wasn’t worth finding new financing to pay off the existing loan. Probably because the debt service for such new loan would be unfeasible.

In reality they will almost certainly do a workout or deed in lieu to pass it to a new operator. The real issue is going to be whether this causes a default under the franchise agreement and whether they will have to rebrand or possibly pay back some key money or other incentives under the franchise agreement. Considering the CMBS loan is near maturity I would bet they are past any milestone dates under the franchise agreement but maybe not.

This is going to happen a lot in the next couple years. CMBS loans are going to come due and most are amortized at least twice the actual term (ie 20 year amo for a 10 year loan) so expect a lot of people walking away when that balloon payment hits. It sucks but it’s how the system is meant to work: borrowers lose their only asset but otherwise walk away free, and the lender already sold the loan on the CMBS market so they got paid years ago. Now it’s just pension plans and mutual funds who bought the CMBS shares holding a loss and theoretically the b note buyer who eats the rest but yeah b note buyers are often the same people who receive these poo poo loans to begin with so buying your own risk at Pennie’s on the dollar isn’t really a losing game.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ultrafilter posted:

CLO vs CDO has a pretty high-level overview. The tl;dr is that there are some minor differences beyond the underlying securities, but they're both securitized bundles of loans (and CLOs maybe aren't as closely tied to commercial mortgages as I originally remembered). But in terms of how investors can get mired in good-looking crappy debt and what could happen if they do, the two classes of securities are pretty similar.

In looking for an overview, I found a few sources arguing that CLOs and CDOs are different because CLOs have never defaulted and I just kinda want to scream a little bit now.

If you read a few of those articles it’s eerily similar to pre 2008. They make a big point of the fact that CLOs don’t use credit default swaps (cds) except synthetic CLOs can include cds. And they really focus on leverage cds and derivatives and claim that’s what drove losses in CDOs during 2008.

And that’s just… a lie. The problem was in the underlying asset, and eventually in that smart firms realized they could profit off of CDOs failing.

And they’re claiming that oh those initial loans get rated by analysts so…

I’m really baffled the SEC continues to allow secularization like this. I mean I guess not baffled just frustrated and angry.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Very brief piece at Bloomberg where Marc Rowan of Apollo is coining the term "non-recession recession" to describe the coming time of a strong main economy while the financial sector takes a loving bath. I still prefer Matt Yglesias's term for it, "the liquidation of the rentier".

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I don't think this is doomerism since it's not speculation but instead actual facts

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/more-trouble-for-downtown-sf-as-owner-of-hilton-parc-55-cease-payments-on-hotel-properties/

For additional context, these are two of the larger hotels in the primary downtown SF tourist district, although kind of at the edge of it. It's still pretty incredible to see someone walk away from what ought to be a blue chip trophy property. Not one but two trophy hotels

I came into the thread to post this because yeah this is pretty wild man I don't think I've really seen something like this and boy it sure Does Not Feel Great to read it.

quote:

“Now more than ever, we believe San Francisco’s path to recovery remains clouded and elongated by major challenges — both old and new,” the press release read. “Record high vacancy; concerns over street conditions; lower return to office than peer cities; and a weaker than expected citywide convention calendar through 2027 that will negatively impact business and leisure demand and will likely significantly reduce compression in the city for the foreseeable future.”

Culture warriors with an axe to grind might focus on the "street conditions" here and blame the soft leftie policies for all this but IMO no that is a distraction and the bigger issue is simply that SF's downtown is dramatically too oriented toward commercial real estate. The troubling thing is that this is common for many (most?) US cities. It may be that SF is suffering more than most because tech has been more likely to continue to enable WFH whereas other sectors have more forced a return to office.

In Canada the office vacancy in Calgary is so insanely bad that the city is mulling over how to convert office into residential and talking about tearing office buildings down. In contrast in Vancouver, which in the mid 2000s was concerned they'd built too much residential and not enough commercial in their downtown, has one of the lowest office vacancies in North America and seems to be in a better situation than most.

I find this all troubling because if we're seeing a real secular shift in demand for office, the built form of our cities are not things that can be changed quickly and there will be a lot of pain.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I think that San Francisco in particular is going to be a more extreme example of this effect, so they probably shouldn't be taken as the exemplar of what is coming for everyone. They're basically being hoisted on their own petard here, being hurt by the fact that their economy is so heavily tech-focused (when that was what made them so rich for the last few decades).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I think there's enough commercial real estate issues on the horizon it might warrant it's own thread. That said, was thumbing through this article, had some real zingers

https://www.thestreet.com/real-estate/which-cities-have-the-most-empty-offices

kobeissi letter posted:

Office Vacancy Rates by City:

1. San Francisco: 31%
2. Los Angeles: 26%
3. Chicago: 24%
4. Phoenix: 24%
5. Cleveland: 23%
6. Denver: 22%
7. Philadelphia: 19%
8. Boston: 19%
9. Houston: 19%
10. Austin: 19%
11. New York: 17%
12. Dallas: 17%
13. Miami: 16%
14. Detroit: 13%
15. Seattle: 11%

Currently, 17% of all office space in the US is vacant.

Meanwhile, over $1.5 trillion of commercial real estate debt is coming due by 2025.

Most of this debt is held by regional banks and vacant properties are struggling to pay the debt.

And then nested quoting the Atlantic

quote:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/06/commercial-real-estate-crisis-empty-offices/674310/

"With a third of all office leases expiring by 2026, we can expect higher vacancies, significantly lower rents, or both," Dror Poleg writes in an extensive piece for The Atlantic. "

Poleg points toward the recent collapse of Silicon Valley Bank and Signature as a precursor for what can happen to a number of others for real estate-related reason.

While Poleg calls some developers' choice to default now "partly a game of chicken," too many doing it will cause a massive hit to the U.S. economy.

"Most commercial loans were issued before the pandemic, when offices were full and interest rates were low," Poleg wrote. "The current landscape is drastically different: high vacancy rates, doubled interest rates, and nearly $1.5 trillion in loans due for repayment by 2025. By defaulting now, landlords leverage their remaining influence to advocate for loan extensions or a bailout."

Yesterday on Cramer some guy called in and was like, "invest in regional banks for the dividend?" and the reply was a polite "absolutely not". Trying to figure out how to short regional banks for 18-24 months out

Anybody know why regional banks hold so much CRE debt and JP Morgan does not?

Edit: also also, agree that SF and it's economy with 30% vacancy is definitely singularly purpose built almost for this kind of downturn in CRE demand, they literally built the tools that allowed this to happen.

That said, NYC is sitting at seventeen percent vacancy rate

Pretty much every small to mid size office building in my suburb and the drive to my local urban center has vacant parking lots and a "FOR RENT" sign out front

More edit: apparently most/many CRE loans are interest only, and as a result it's fairly risk free to just walk away from an underperforming no-recourse loan

Seems like a really good time to start forming a new regional bank. By the time it's approved there will be a bunch of CRE assets for sale at market adjusted prices to loan on

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 8, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm hoping that some of that vacant office space gets converted to apartments. It's not trivial, but every city on that list that I'm familiar with badly needs more housing downtown.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

would thousands of CRE loan defaults put an upward, or downward, pressure on interest rates for CRE loans? I feel like the answer is downward but I'm not confident.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a lot of why residential housing is hosed everywhere is because of the differentially increased profitability of commercial to cities. but now that we have seen this is picking up pennies in front of a steamroller, there will necessarily be structural changes wrt mispricing of risk

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
knowing basically nothing about commercial real estate what is a normal vacancy rate

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

would thousands of CRE loan defaults put an upward, or downward, pressure on interest rates for CRE loans? I feel like the answer is downward but I'm not confident.

up

(this is why debt is a gently caress)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

knowing basically nothing about commercial real estate what is a normal vacancy rate

see top chart on article

https://www.axios.com/2023/04/13/office-vacancy-rate-remote-work-hybrid-work

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 8, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My city is interesting because it was already hemorrhaging office occupancy prior to COVID, and had been changing into a more liveable downtown with more apartments, condos, shops, and restaurants. Obviously that aspect took a big hit with COVID, but I wonder if we're now primed to rebound with the demand for housing and social events and a path to converting office space to living space already in place.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The other number I can't place from another article, said that approximately 30% of CRE can be "easily" converted to residential, so that's a plus :yaycloud:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think generally accepted 10%, 7% is better than average, like NYC Manhattan, and if you have +20 to real estate with a lawful evil alignment you can occasionally see under 5%

So not only are we averaging 17% but I guess analysts universally think that number will continue to trend upwards through at least 2026.

Probably need to do a flow chart but not only are people becoming mildly panicked about CRE but most cities are highly dependent, like more than 30% of their revenue, on CRE taxes. If we bulldozed all the unnecessary office space tomorrow they'd lose about 7% of their overall income based on their numbers, and then probably another 15% devaluation of other CRE (wild guess) which means huge cuts to public transit, social services etc. I hate to use the term but "doom loop" is pretty accurate. Blackrock etc al buying up SFH in the suburbs at the beginning of the pandemic was a :master: I bet if you look at the homes they bought, they were overwhelmingly 4 and 5 bedroom houses (2 offices, master bedroom, kids room/s)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Vancouver just finally jumped above 10% and I feel like I'd read before that they had amongst the lowest vacancy in North America.

quote:

Downtown Vancouver office vacancy rate jumps above 10 per cent
With many people wanting to continue working at home post-pandemic, more space could hit the lease market.

The office vacancy rate in downtown Vancouver has eclipsed 10 per cent for the first time in almost two decades, a trend driven by tech and other companies giving up leased space as they cut head count or let people continue working from home.

The rate is in keeping with the trend of double-digit figures in other cities.

In Toronto, the downtown office vacancy rate during the first quarter of 2023 was 15.3 per cent, which is the highest it has been since 1995. In Ottawa, at 13.2 per cent, and in Montreal, at 16.5 per cent, the rates recorded are all-time highs, according to CBRE.

Meanwhile, in San Francisco, the downtown office vacancy rate is at the highest recorded, at over 30 per cent of total space available for either lease or sublease. That is higher than the city experienced just after the dot-com crash in 2002 when it was at about 20 per cent.

The last time the vacancy rate in downtown Vancouver was over 10 per cent was in 2004 after the dot- com crash when start-up technology and online companies went bust.

We've been broadly talking about "commercial" real estate here but my sense is that this is really an office real estate problem. Am I wrong?

I'm not imagining the same sort of headwinds for retail or industrial in the same way. Anyone feel differently?

I suppose dying downtowns may force some realignment and adjustment to downtown retailers (again seems like something we're already seeing in SF) but not sure suburban strip malls are seeing the same sort of disruption to their business. (eg. I'm assuming some strip mall by the highway with a walgreens, wendys and autoparts store is going to be a fine investment for whatever REIT holds that?)

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 8, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think retail's been under a harsh headwind for 25 years now, and amazon's share of the entire retail market is sobering.
I think industrial's been under a harsh headwind for 50+ years now, and the global shipping crisis is a small tailwind that will right itself; but rising costs of oil could gradually improve things for shifting manufacturing back to domestic, maybe, depending on just how expensive it winds up being to get containers from asia in a world where we actually try to do something about climate change vs. one where we don't.

But the long-term trend is still one of modest population growth, and as the whole economy grows, I think the demand for all three types of commercial real estate will eventually catch up with supply. So my long-term take is that cities will continue to grow, and that means we'll need both more housing and more CRE, highly market-dependently. We could see another Detroit style collapse at the same time that we see another silicon valley style boom.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There's a ton of domestic manufacturing it just doesn't require so many people anymore. the industrial production index is at 2007 levels despite the great recession (that was very bad for manufacturing) and COVID disruptions. the death of American manufacturing is as always widely overstated; the death of American manufacturing jobs is real.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

What I've been hearing is that there's a staggering shortage of industrial land (and I posted about this a while back in the stock thread).

I'm a bit nervous about how much of that may be demand for giant dot com distribution hubs of which demand may evaporate, but in general, looking around at how cities have been so eager to pillage industrial land to turn into shiny new residential condos, I would definitely believe there's a shortage, and where there's a shortage there is money to be made.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

What I've been hearing is that there's a staggering shortage of industrial land (and I posted about this a while back in the stock thread).

I'm a bit nervous about how much of that may be demand for giant dot com distribution hubs of which demand may evaporate, but in general, looking around at how cities have been so eager to pillage industrial land to turn into shiny new residential condos, I would definitely believe there's a shortage, and where there's a shortage there is money to be made.

Blackstone REITs (among others) have had great success in industrial/logistics facilities over the last decade. From what I understand, you're right--increasing demand for industrial land near city-centers is outpacing new supply.

Speaking of which, I find this related chart very interesting:

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I think retail's been under a harsh headwind for 25 years now, and amazon's share of the entire retail market is sobering.

This is true, though I've seen a lot of new retail shifting to be less places to buy stuff and more places to eat / drink / do things. Obviously that doesnt work everywhere, rural Alabama isnt getting any $23 salad places or natural wine bars.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

I'm hoping that some of that vacant office space gets converted to apartments. It's not trivial, but every city on that list that I'm familiar with badly needs more housing downtown.

The problem is that the standards on commercial vs residential real estate are very very different.

Residential needs individual plumbing and more importantly every residential needs a window. Think about how much they don’t have to worry about windows in something like a cubical setup.

There was a really really good article showing this that I can’t find, but long story short it def CAN be done but there is def a lot lot more to it than I would have anticipated for sure.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Numbers I'm seeing are around 30% of CRE is viable for conversation

quote:

Using a proprietary tool, Gensler evaluated the physical factors that make for a good residential
building, including the building shape and size, ceiling heights, availability of elevators, neighborhood
context, proximity to transit, and other criteria. It found that only 20% of the buildings it evaluated across North America scored high for conversion. In downtown San Francisco, Gensler deemed 40% of the evaluated buildings to be good candidates. The best candidates were high-rise buildings with
floor plates of between 12,000 and 20,000 square feet.

https://www.spur.org/sites/default/files/2023-05/SPUR_Office-to-Residential_Conversion_in_SF.pdf

https://www.spur.org/publications/research/2023-03-28/office-residential-conversion-san-franciscos-changing-real-estate

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vanguard is using "machine learning" to predict federal reserve interest rate decisions:
https://advisors.vanguard.com/insights/article/whythefedwillnotcutratesthisyear

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pmchem posted:

Vanguard is using "machine learning" to predict federal reserve interest rate decisions:
https://advisors.vanguard.com/insights/article/whythefedwillnotcutratesthisyear

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

:lol: I am going to print this and hang it up at work

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Get that poo poo on etsy lol

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Just want to say I really like the no Twitter vibe. Good idea and good thread.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

I wish I could make this the thread title.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

The problem is that the standards on commercial vs residential real estate are very very different.

Residential needs individual plumbing and more importantly every residential needs a window. Think about how much they don’t have to worry about windows in something like a cubical setup.

There was a really really good article showing this that I can’t find, but long story short it def CAN be done but there is def a lot lot more to it than I would have anticipated for sure.

There was this article in the times, but there have been a couple like it. It definitely can be done - the ~20 floor office building my parents worked at in the nineties is now a "luxury" apartment tower.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 10, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It is very rarely physically, let alone financially, viable to do a commercial to residential refit. There's a reason each building that does it winds up getting standalone coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It is very rarely physically, let alone financially, viable to do a commercial to residential refit. There's a reason each building that does it winds up getting standalone coverage.

This is also very city dependent. Seattle and Philadelphia, for example, both have very narrow block layouts so almost none of those thick rectangle buildings get built. Washington DC on the other end of the spectrum has a lot of mega buildings that I don't know how you would convert. One of the prime examples there was Philadelphia and I've definitely seen others that have been converted or converted to mixed use.

Estimates I've seen are that the average city is about 30% practical to convert which is fine because only about 10% needs to be converted to take up the slack in commercial rentals. Some cities are going to be doing a lot better or worse than the average numbers but for most it's not a long term disaster.