Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
are zombie skittles capable of causing a gas leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

There is a lot of variety in durian flavor, too. I eat a lot of durians, I actually think they're amazing.

Some are just very sweet, some are very oniony (I think the ones from SE Asia tend to be more oniony? That's just my experience) some, especially when they're not fully ripened, have a hard to describe (like describing watermelon flavor to a person who's never eaten a watermelon) fresh flavor, where they get a little closer to jackfruit.

I think the sweet ones have basically none of what makes durian famously bad for a lot of people it's just that they cant get over the idea of durian because of the strong smell and, I think, social factors making everyone think it's disgusting before they even try.

Durian candies are good too, it's a flavor that matches candy really well.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I just adore that in SE Asia that it has its own signage from time to time

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Strategic Tea posted:

I just adore that in SE Asia that it has its own signage from time to time

It's weird how they didn't go with the theme and make a little black durian icon but they just took a picture of a durian. It would bug me if I was the guy who had no make signs in places where it's illegal to be a durian.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I guess it's hard to stylize a durian without making it indistinguishable from a jackfruit.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
It's telling that durian isn't considered a food included in the "no eating" part

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Darkest Auer posted:

It's telling that durian isn't considered a food included in the "no eating" part

I think the issue is that you don't have to eat the Durian itself to leave behind its smelly stink.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ban on durian existing there, yes

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Saoshyant posted:

I think the issue is that you don't have to eat the Durian itself to leave behind its smelly stink.

Is it the stink or its literal killing power in the event of an emergency stop or something?

Probably both, but I'm absolutely certain there are at least a handful of durian related deaths a year.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
god what a way to go, it's like the punchline to some joke

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I vaguely recall a henchman getting beaten to death with a durian in one of the Police Story movies. Come to think of it, wasn't there also a fight scene on a train cargo car filled with durians?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Durian trees have a similar capacity for killing to coconut palms, albeit funnier and spikier.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hmm, yeah, they are pretty comparable. they cracked artificial durian flavoring a long time ago, its just that theres little demand in america

a lot of the durian is the custardy texture, tho, and the skittles obvs dont have that

thats kind of cool. i dont like zombie skittles but i thought man what a wierd answer. he did say the texture is great and like a thick pudding so i still kinda wanna try one the texture sounds great.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I snuck a durian lolly into a kids sandwich once, we all looked on as he ate it and said the butter had gone bad.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Kharnifex posted:

I snuck a durian lolly into a kids sandwich once, we all looked on as he ate it and said the butter had gone bad.

mother in law has a power move she'll pull out where she demands durian ice cream and then has two bites and makes my father in law finish it (he hates durian).

i like durian, so i volunteered to help out once and she shoo'd me away. apparently baba had pissed her off the day before over something stupid.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tupperwarez posted:

I vaguely recall a henchman getting beaten to death with a durian in one of the Police Story movies. Come to think of it, wasn't there also a fight scene on a train cargo car filled with durians?

one of the guys i do movie nights with is a total mark for jackie chan movies and i distinctly remember this scene, but i cannot remember which movie it was from. my gut says 3 but my head says that's wrong.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

NoiseAnnoys posted:

mother in law has a power move she'll pull out where she demands durian ice cream and then has two bites and makes my father in law finish it (he hates durian).

i like durian, so i volunteered to help out once and she shoo'd me away. apparently baba had pissed her off the day before over something stupid.

I really love durian icecream, top stuff. I just wish I could get the fruit fresh in my country, but it's all been frozen at some point I think.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The fruit I would miss fresh the most if I left would be lychees. Frozen lychees (and longan, and rambutan) lose a ton of their flavor frozen and they do not stay fresh for very long. I love lychees. One of my cats is named Lychee.

I have been on an (impossible) quest to eat and document every variety of lychee and lychee like fruit

etc.

Edit: Also grapes, I dont know if China is even outside the norm here and America just sucks for grapes. Hell, I dont know if it's just my state that sucks for grapes. There really werent a lot of different varieties of grapes back where I was in America, or in Korea from what I remember.

In China though there are so many different varieties of grapes. They taste way different from what you'd expect, they're like completely different fruits with completely different flavors.

There are these green ones called "阳光玫瑰", which are a variety of muscat grapes. Are muscat grapes just what almost all grapes are? Is that a common breed? I have no loving clue, all I know is these ones are pretty common here (though, expensive compared to other grapes), I've never had them in America, and they're loving incredible.

double edit: They seem to be an Asian variety

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 10, 2023

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

I've only seen palm sized lychees once,

We were loading goats onto a baggage vehicle for the El Thani Qatar royal household jet, has a cool ibex? Or goaty thing on its tail.

And they had a yard of goods to put on, everything from goats, live bees, those silly Segways, bulls sperm in frozen goods containers, cows ovums, meats, cheese etc

But the huge lychees were something I've never seen before, I'm not sure if they were from New Zealand or Australia

Edit - one thing I miss from Japan is the mangosteen liquor I got there.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Whoah you found the mystical mega-lychee

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

The lychee on the left of those 3 is what I’m familiar with in Australia.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Nam Taf posted:

The lychee on the left of those 3 is what I’m familiar with in Australia.

Same, these were definitely from Oz or NZ tho.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mainland country girls make do

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I used to think lychees were vaguely unpleasant until I came to China and had them fresh.

Now they are life.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lychee candies are great.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i'm lukewarm on lychee. i've had it fresh all my life so, it's good but also it's like what ever :v:

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Speaking of fruit candy. Tamarind balls own.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Tinned lychees are lovely with custard

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Mangos are still goat. Never not amazing.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
can't beat a good dragon fruit

one day i will learn to tell by looking on the outside which ones are red or white inside

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I had soju. Not a fan.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Soju sucks, so in line with p much everything else from korea. Lychees fucken rule however.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Booty Pageant posted:

one day i will learn to tell by looking on the outside which ones are red or white inside

The inside can vary within species. You can't tell from the outside.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

BrassRoots posted:

Mangos are still goat. Never not amazing.

I am one of those people who are super allergic to them (it's not that rare!)

Mangos contain urushiol, the stuff in poison ivy that makes it poison. Almost entirely in the skin though which is why most people can eat the fruit just not the skin and be fine. Some people can even eat the skin, they're just not sensitive to it.

Then there are people like me who look at a poison ivy plant from across the street and break out in a rash. The trace amounts left in a peeled mango are enough to close my throat and make my face swell up into a horrifying pus balloon.

One time my wife brought a bag of mangos home her mom gave her. The idea was, just keep them in the bag I don't touch them. But then, just somehow from being around them or being around where she prepared them, broke out in rashes.

I wouldnt be surprised if some day it's a mango that kills me.

So there's your mango fact for the day.

Booty Pageant posted:

You ever have the yellow one? It's stupid expensive for what it is but they are good.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I also just had what wikipedia tells me is a "sugar apple" which seems like a lovely name. I bought it on Taobao and wasn't paying attention, thought I bought a small box of them for 60rmb. It comes and it's one loving fruit. Just a single small fruit, 60rmb.

But, it was incredibly good. A kind of very sweet vanilla flavor. I've seen them in stores before and bought one and it wasn't too good, I think they just gotta get perfectly ripe to be good but, kinda worth it.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

BrainDance posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if some day it's a mango that kills me.
This sounds like the story of Baldur, except with mangoes instead of mistletoe.

Now I'm imagining like, a circle of dwarven smiths carving and shaping a giant mango pit into the head of a warhammer.
It is Manggurtikkullinender, the weapon fated to slay you.
Thus it is written in the Produce Eddas, thus it shall come to pass.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Booty Pageant posted:

I've always found them almost flavorless. Like a distant memory of a kiwi.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

I had soju. Not a fan.

Green bottle soju is not actually soju

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dandywalken posted:

I had soju. Not a fan.

Congratulations on having The Soju Experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BrainDance posted:

I also just had what wikipedia tells me is a "sugar apple" which seems like a lovely name. I bought it on Taobao and wasn't paying attention, thought I bought a small box of them for 60rmb. It comes and it's one loving fruit. Just a single small fruit, 60rmb.

But, it was incredibly good. A kind of very sweet vanilla flavor. I've seen them in stores before and bought one and it wasn't too good, I think they just gotta get perfectly ripe to be good but, kinda worth it.

They're called cherimoyas or custard apples here in Canada. And yes, they are good, even shipped halfway across the world.

Brutal Garcon posted:

I've always found them almost flavorless. Like a distant memory of a kiwi.

You need to try the yellow ones.