Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I get the sense that everyone sort of likes Starchman and this isn't nearly as big of a deal as Suzy thinks it would be.

Unfortunately she doesn't appreciate that her dad uses a pool noodle to exact violence against his students and rollerskates like he's an Xtreme sports athlete. Her loss. I for one welcome all the cringe she feels this update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Absolutely amazing update. A+

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I get the sense that everyone sort of likes Starchman and this isn't nearly as big of a deal as Suzy thinks it would be.

Suzy is also 12 and getting horrifically embarrassed to learn her crush knows who she is.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Don't you realize? If Suzy is a Starchman...that means she has access to Starchman Stars.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Starchman would never compromise the integrity of the stars with that kind of favouritism!

Honestly if Suzy's able to keep their relation a secret he must actually be pretty good about that. He respects that his daughter doesn't want to be known as the teacher's kid. He's a good dad. :unsmith:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Brought To You By posted:

Unfortunately she doesn't appreciate that her dad uses a pool noodle to exact violence against his students and rollerskates like he's an Xtreme sports athlete. Her loss. I for one welcome all the cringe she feels this update.

i wish mr starchman was my dad

Tenebrais posted:

Suzy is also 12 and getting horrifically embarrassed to learn her crush knows who she is.

Is that explicitly a thing? The crush, I mean. I almost think that's less funny than inexplicable burning enmity over basically nothing, personally.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Is that explicitly a thing? The crush, I mean. I almost think that's less funny than inexplicable burning enmity over basically nothing, personally.

They both get increasingly blushy with their back and forth. Then Starchman notices their blushing and comments that he might have stepped into a romantic moment. Then Zack signs off the page with "Happy Pride". It's as legit as you can get without literally stating it outright.

Adds a lot of context to Suzy's obsession with the Activity Club too. Especially since as far as I can tell every time she's got weird about interacting with a member of the Club it's been Isabel specifically.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Tenebrais posted:

They both get increasingly blushy with their back and forth. Then Starchman notices their blushing and comments that he might have stepped into a romantic moment. Then Zack signs off the page with "Happy Pride". It's as legit as you can get without literally stating it outright.

Adds a lot of context to Suzy's obsession with the Activity Club too. Especially since as far as I can tell every time she's got weird about interacting with a member of the Club it's been Isabel specifically.

On top of that, Suzy's having the same reaction Mina did when she was on her date with Day.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Fair enough, I was just wondering if it was something stated outright on twitter or some other place I didn't know about, honestly.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
God drat this is good, as good as it was back when it was a comic honestly

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GlyphGryph posted:

God drat this is good, as good as it was back when it was a comic honestly

It helps so much that Zack has vastly improved their writing, and it's so much better-paced than when we took 4 years to finish a dodgeball game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wait... their lockers are in the same hallway.

So that's how Suzy learned about kicking doors.

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

It helps so much that Zack has vastly improved their writing, and it's so much better-paced than when we took 4 years to finish a dodgeball game.

Honestly, it's been so long since Hitball that I've kind of grown to appreciate it a bit more upon rereading the whole arc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kaliedoscope posted:

Honestly, it's been so long since Hitball that I've kind of grown to appreciate it a bit more upon rereading the whole arc.

The Hitball chapter definitely comes off much better on a reread, once you know that virtually everyone involved is actually very important to the plot. At the time, it felt like a ton of pointless distraction that kept dragging on and on and bloating the story for seemingly no good reason.

But in the aftermath we learned:
  • Cody is Davy's son and the class president, Lisa is likely related to DuNacht, and Johnny is going to be involved with the The Angel plotline because of Forge possessing him
  • The previous generation (Rick, Mina, Jean) constantly got into issues because they didn't communicate well with each other, and this problem persists to the day of the game, right up to Rick having a communication breakdown with Lucifer, and Isaac stalking Mr. Garcia because he didn't know about his involvement with Mr. Spender. The current generation (Activity Club et al) struggled with this same problem for most of Chapter 5 before actually resolving it by talking through their issues (Isabel-Isaac, Ed-Isabel, etc), and the rest of the story is likely going to heavily feature this specific theme
    • Hijack!Spender being a better Spender towards Isabel than actual Spender has also become probably the best example of this theme, with Isabel no longer trusting her mentor because of it
  • Hijack wasn't a one-off villain-of-the-week, he's very important because of his existence's significance (Mina's ability to create artificial spirits), and because he's literally still around (in Hi & Jack form) and hanging out with Cody
  • The school itself is actually crucial to the overall plot because that's where a bunch of weapons and spirits are being stored, as well as being ground zero of a territory/power struggle between the Witch, Davy Jones, and Mr. Spender

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm still hype for Hitball.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

SKULL.GIF posted:

"Suzy made a sound like wet bagpipes being sucked into a black hole" is definitely S tier simile work and erases any lingering doubts I had about the format shift. I had faith they would get there but it was choppy seas for a while during the flashbacks.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well, if you wanted confirmation it's a crush

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Kinda disappointing tbh. It was more fun when Suzy was simply a neurotic loon.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

These have been fun pages but I'm about ready to move on from Dimitri's moping. Darkness just hit Mayview -- and as per the chapter title, we should see some exciting stuff happen before "daybreak".

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

This is just peak the kate beaton "keep a picture of my rival on my bed at night" comic

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kinda disappointing tbh. It was more fun when Suzy was simply a neurotic loon.

i mean, she still is,

shes just also gay. suzy rocks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Scene change!!! https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-30

Comic is going on hiatus until July 13.

What do you bet the "overgrown house" is the Slanted Manse?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So is the sphinx the reason why Davy's left hand is now a self aware ghost? Or is this something to do with the vampirism? Maybe both?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oh

PJ

P. Jones

Lefty is probably protecting a deceased son

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"What kind of ghost would haunt a place like that?"

I wonder if Doorman used to be the doorman for the Jones family in their previously-unexploded mansion.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No update for another couple weeks but I think I'm onto something after rereading the chapter.

In last week's update, PJ says he was killed in his sleep by a "meteor" and that he awoke underground, as a ghost, before he was "fished" out by Lefty. He described his now-exploded mansion as "overgrown and spooky", and says that Lefty has been moving him around for whatever reason.

There's an extremely high probability that this is the Slanted Manse, which has not only been prominently featured in each single chapter it's shown up, it also qualifies as "overgrown and spooky", with numerous holes in its floors and walls, ruined furniture, and wild growth everywhere.

In Cherub's flashback with Ángel, we learn that the Great Sphinx was confronted by Davy, the Witch, Francisco Guerra, and Doorman, along with three other spectrals and/or spirits (the blue, emerald, and frosty pink auras near Doorman), and subsequently "sundered". From Doorman's flashback we can deduce that the gap in the shadow on Francisco's chest is the gap in the Great Sphinx's body being severed by Davy's sword, and that this flashback panel takes place mere moments after Cherub's recollection of the confrontation.

I speculate that sundering the Great Sphinx, and the subsequent explosion when a Wight dies and is instantly reborn, is exactly what blew off Davy's left hand and vamped him. How Francisco/Doorman survived we don't know yet, but it's possibly related to Doorman's teleportation power. We know the Witch survived to be "defeated" by a young Mina Zarei, and that Francisco didn't die for at least a span of time it took for him to become completely bald and his hair to whiten.

The next page has Doorman explain that he has a personal history with the spirit possessing Max. If this spirit is a fragment of the Great Sphinx, then it explains precisely why Doorman was reminiscing on the sundering while in the middle of his conversation with Isaac concerning the prophecy, Max, and Isabel's plan to talk with Francisco Guerra.

Going back to the nature of the Slanted Manse, in Chapter 3 Max informs us via inference that the Slanted Manse is at the bottom of the valley between the two peaks of Mayview. This is a very interesting locale for it to be in, given in 8.30 JP says he woke up deep underground, and given that there appears to be a lake at the bottom of Mayview -- the same lake, perhaps, that Rick Spender nearly drowned in before he was possessed by the black spirit and "fished out" by Lucifer. The Slanted Manse is likely a lakefront mansion, we just haven't yet been shown that angle. The lake in Mayview/Clayview also appears very important to the research the Burgers are doing, and when Rick sees that the spirit is attacking he immediately thinks of when he was drowning in the same/a similar lake.

When King Catnine attacks he's situated exactly above the lake, and when he's slain by Spender, his spirit drifts directly downwards to possess Isaac, whose family is leaving ... a recently-interrupted fishing trip.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Back to see an old friend: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-31

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I notice that a similar dynamic seems to be happening here between Fangstapler and Scrapdragon's bat, and what Spender accuses King C9 of suffering from.

"You've been duped ... there's no power here, just something that wants yours."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No update this week thanks to the miracle of modern medicine:

https://twitter.com/enenkay/status/1682081329436061696

Max's probably not going to be devoured right?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Excitement in the realm today. https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-32

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think Scrapdragon is being set up here to be a lot of bark but no bite. It especially interests me that its reaction to Max flailing around is to twist around so Max's resting on its body.

I wonder if Scrapdragon eating Max in one bite isn't actually to move him down from its body onto the ground.

e: it also seems very important that spectrals can pass through physical barriers while in spirit trance.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 28, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Are you suggesting that going into a spirit trance could get them through the barrier around the city?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

pik_d posted:

Are you suggesting that going into a spirit trance could get them through the barrier around the city?

Possibly. We know Forge got through the barrier by possessing Johnny, so there are workarounds. They're still spectral though, even in spirit trance, so I don't think they can just simply walk through it by activating trance. (Spender was in trance while fighting King Catnine and was still propped up by the barrier.) Maybe the bubble only extends for a little bit underground, and they can dip under the barrier while in spirit trance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I doubt you can game it with standard-issue spectral powers, ones like that seem basic enough that they'd have thought to check it.

I do wonder if Izzy could flip through.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

When did this whole incorporeal-during-trance thing happen? That feels like a big thing I missed.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Malpais Legate posted:

When did this whole incorporeal-during-trance thing happen? That feels like a big thing I missed.

I forget where it was answered, but the basic answer was that certain spirits change the look of the landscape around them to match their theme or whatever it is, and so if you go into a spirit trance, and there's a big hole in the wall, while you're in that trance, that hole is your subjective reality. If you wanted to, you could walk right through the hole in the wall. Meanwhile, anyone not in a trance would see you jerkily skitter straight through a solid wall and probably be rightfully freaked out by that. Conversely, if your spirit partner decides to, say, eat you, or whatever, because that is your subjective reality at the time, you'd die and the people around you would see you get chewed to paste by whatever invisible monster thought you looked tasty.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The barrier is explicitly not a physical barrier but a spiritual one so I don't think spirit trancing would let you get around it. Also, it is an actual bubble, full 3d sphere if I remember correctly, so you can't go underneath either (especially since that would make it useless against most spirits)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Time to play fetch. https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-33

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Scrapdragon immediately turning out to be a big playful, but scary dog after all these years wondering how Max was going to deal with it is amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003