Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Just tried steam deck on treadmill for first time. Used to do a lot of Switch where I would take the joycons off, put the screen on the little lip that is meant for like magazines or books, and use a controller while doing max incline walking. Well the deck's grip part makes that not fit in the same way but it rested on the lip, and since I was just going like 3.5 MPH it didn't really shake much and worked OK actually.

I know 3.5 MPH doesn't sound like a lot but at max incline it gets tiring fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!
I use mine on my indoor bike all the time, it sits absolutely perfectly on top of the display. It's so good

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Chin Strap posted:

Just tried steam deck on treadmill for first time. Used to do a lot of Switch where I would take the joycons off, put the screen on the little lip that is meant for like magazines or books, and use a controller while doing max incline walking. Well the deck's grip part makes that not fit in the same way but it rested on the lip, and since I was just going like 3.5 MPH it didn't really shake much and worked OK actually.

I know 3.5 MPH doesn't sound like a lot but at max incline it gets tiring fast.

Not to fitnesschat but 3.5 is perfectly fine if it gets your heart rate up. Long walks at 3.5 is better than a sprint for a short period at 6 mph for cardio 100%. I've been thinking of seeing if I can perch my deck on my treadmill and use an Xbox controller to play it while I'm walking, since it's pretty bulky.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not to fitnesschat but 3.5 is perfectly fine if it gets your heart rate up. Long walks at 3.5 is better than a sprint for a short period at 6 mph for cardio 100%. I've been thinking of seeing if I can perch my deck on my treadmill and use an Xbox controller to play it while I'm walking, since it's pretty bulky.

Yeah I wouldn't do it holding it up, 100% controller only.

You could maybe rig up something with a universal clamp meant for like tablets or whatever like this:

Maybe check on weight for those but any one that says it can hold up a 12.9" ipad should be able to hold on to a steam deck.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Chin Strap posted:

You could maybe rig up something with a universal clamp meant for like tablets or whatever like this:

Maybe check on weight for those but any one that says it can hold up a 12.9" ipad should be able to hold on to a steam deck.

These need a deckmate part to allow clamping.

The stretchy c-clamp style pictured doesn’t have arms either deep enough, wide enough, or both for the steam deck. What you should get instead is the deckmate and the wall mount and then attach the deck to the wall mount on your fitness machine of choice.

Edit: and if you want an articulated arm like that, I recommend going with the deckmate vesa mount and a ball joint to vesa adapter. https://a.co/d/bJTRN6v

tuyop fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 9, 2023

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

tuyop posted:

These need a deckmate part to allow clamping.

The stretchy c-clamp style pictured doesn’t have arms either deep enough, wide enough, or both for the steam deck. What you should get instead is the deckmate and the wall mount and then attach the deck to the wall mount on your fitness machine of choice.

Edit: and if you want an articulated arm like that, I recommend going with the deckmate vesa mount and a ball joint to vesa adapter. https://a.co/d/bJTRN6v

What arms work with that? I have a Killswitch case on my deck and am printing out the deckmate adapter for it today, but if I got the vesa adapter I don't really see any tablet sized arms that work with vesa or with the ball adapter, just monitor arms for the vesa and I was hoping for something a little less bulky.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

I love articulated clamps

njsykora posted:

If you don't want to get the official dock, get this Anker hub. I use it for my Macbook and sometimes put the Deck on it too. The HDMI port isn't 4K60 but you also shouldn't be running your Deck at 4K anyway.
https://www.anker.com/products/a8346

I forgot to mentioned I wanted an ethernet port; I got this one. It has a 1/8' audio out! I'm plugged directly from the dock into my audio mixer, It saves me a passthrough and a cable. This makes me happy. It has card readers and even a fkn VGA out, which would actually be cool for my purposes if it could output HDMI and VGA simultaneously, which it can't. Don't buy it if you plan to charge a Kindle with it: it complains and says it disabled its port. I'm skeptical of its sturdiness so I bought a warranty.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Chin Strap posted:

What arms work with that? I have a Killswitch case on my deck and am printing out the deckmate adapter for it today, but if I got the vesa adapter I don't really see any tablet sized arms that work with vesa or with the ball adapter, just monitor arms for the vesa and I was hoping for something a little less bulky.

That 20mm ball socket is pretty standard. Any of the arms with a C-clamp usually have a similar sized ball socket on them.

I did forget that you need something to convert the ball to a socket, since the clamp tends to be the female part. Arkon mounts has a bunch of solutions for this kind of thing. This thing will let that vesa mount work with any 20mm ball joint afaik. Arkon Robust Mount Shaft Black Retail https://a.co/d/bIIUxXp

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Joycons + Deck + Treadmill is a great combo. Been playing a ton of jrpgs this way for a while now. The joycons allow a lot more freedom of movement.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thank you both (CuddleCryptid and nitauga)! Will check those out.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
What's the way to report issue with a deck verified title? I tried playing system shock classic(not the remake) and it's unplayable. I didn't see a way to report that this title doesn't work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t know how to report it, but do you have DeckyLoader installed? ProtonDB Badges is a more accurate way of gauging Deck compatibility, and there’s user posts with issues and known fixes/workarounds.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

lostleaf posted:

What's the way to report issue with a deck verified title? I tried playing system shock classic(not the remake) and it's unplayable. I didn't see a way to report that this title doesn't work.

After you've played a verified game on Deck for a while it'll pop up a thing on the game page asking if you think its status is correct.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My gaming friend group is rolling around the idea of starting Diablo 4. We generally all talk over discord.

Is there a way I can do discord AND diablo 4 in gaming mode or do I have to go into desktop mode?

My experience with trying to run music on Spotify with a game is that gaming mode kills Spotify before it opens the game and it seems hard to do both at once.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

njsykora posted:

After you've played a verified game on Deck for a while it'll pop up a thing on the game page asking if you think its status is correct.

if its still within the refund period refund it saying it doesnt work on deck

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

im redownloading miles morales from scratch because this loving game hasnt worked once and my deck is basically stock for all intents and purposes

no wait it DID work at some point and then it never worked again :(

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Beve Stuscemi posted:

My gaming friend group is rolling around the idea of starting Diablo 4. We generally all talk over discord.

Is there a way I can do discord AND diablo 4 in gaming mode or do I have to go into desktop mode?

My experience with trying to run music on Spotify with a game is that gaming mode kills Spotify before it opens the game and it seems hard to do both at once.
Haven’t tried Discord but I did this with Mumble by just opening Mumble first then launching the game I’m playing as normal.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t know how to report it, but do you have DeckyLoader installed? ProtonDB Badges is a more accurate way of gauging Deck compatibility, and there’s user posts with issues and known fixes/workarounds.

njsykora posted:

Thanks for the tip. I'll try both.

I also installed emudeck and I can't believe how slick this thing is. I was expecting at least an hour of configuring but it was very painless. I do need help with one thing though. The left trackpad shows a menu with save states/load state/etc when moved but I can't seem to click on any of the options there. How do I actually click on it? I even tried using the touchscreen but that didn't work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I've been using discord while playing games since maybe a week after I first got my steam deck last October, and it's smooth and seamless, almost no issues.

There used to be a great plugin that allowed you to have quick access to a volume mixer, but the dev of that not only gave it up, but also removed it from the decky plugin store.

My only issue, so far, is specific to GTA V/online; quick switching out of that game is very difficult and the game does not like giving up access to the Steam deck controls, so I always have to start discord BEFORE loading that game up specifically (which currently is like the only game I've been playing, it's so good with friends).

I haven't run up against this weird issue with any other title. Even stuff like Doom Eternal, Sea of Thieves (which is always online, like GTA Online), Resident Evil 4 HD (at least the demo) are a-ok switching out controls if I have to go between it and discord.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Any reason to think Mortal Kombat 1 and Tekken 8 won’t run as well as Street Fighter 6 does on Steam Deck?

I know MK1 has a Switch version scheduled but gently caress knows what that will even look like..

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Could always use discord on your phone?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Masonity posted:

Diablo players try not to acknowledge that they have phones.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bumhead posted:

Any reason to think Mortal Kombat 1 and Tekken 8 won’t run as well as Street Fighter 6 does on Steam Deck?

I know MK1 has a Switch version scheduled but gently caress knows what that will even look like..

Took me a minute to realize that you're referring to the.... latest? MK release, because proper naming means absolutely nothing to these publishers, holy poo poo.

I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure any port of MK 1 (1993) would run properly on the deck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Tekken 8 is UE5 so will probably run like poo poo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Masonity posted:

Yeah but then I have to finagle some sort of audio splice between the deck and my phone.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Isn’t there a decky loader plug-in for discord?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah but then I have to finagle some sort of audio splice between the deck and my phone.
Fwiw that's already built in, you just connect to the deck via bluetooth

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Fwiw that's already built in, you just connect to the deck via bluetooth

Oh, I didnt know that was a possibility! I'll check that out

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Best Buy just delivered my ally this afternoon, so that's cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TwoDice posted:

Man. Wtf mine won’t be here till Tuesday

Lame

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Traitors

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

TwoDice posted:

Nice. You've been randomly* selected to do a full write up with your experiences!

*: Not random.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Have a fire extinguisher nearby. Just in case.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Trip report: windows 11 set up process continues to be rear end. So many ads and check boxes and nonsense, but hopefully that's all done with.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Does the Ally have like a custom launcher or do you load it up and there's just a standard windows desktop

Oddly enough the Win8 pseudotablet UI might be better for this use-case

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's got a custom ui that seems decent.

I'm playing software update games before doing anything else.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Oh, I didnt know that was a possibility! I'll check that out

I thought about pointing that out also but it won’t help with you sending out voice via the deck. You’d have to connect your mic to your phone directly, but then connect your headphones to your deck. Depending on your setup, that may be hard/impossible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

rafikki posted:

Isn’t there a decky loader plug-in for discord?

I was browsing the plugin library last night in vain hopes of finding another volume mixer, and saw that there was one that put the title of the game you're playing in your discord status. Which seemed weird to me, because doesn't that happen anyway, when you link your discord and steam accounts?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

If anyone is looking for a steam deck compatible power bank, this 65W 25,000 mAh one is coming up as $30 for me after coupons
https://www.amazon.com/INIU-Charging-25000mAh-Ultimate-Compatible/dp/B08VDJP7WN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

ihatepants posted:

If anyone is looking for a steam deck compatible power bank, this 65W 25,000 mAh one is coming up as $30 for me after coupons
https://www.amazon.com/INIU-Charging-25000mAh-Ultimate-Compatible/dp/B08VDJP7WN

This is a good deal. Been looking for a pack that’s close to try TSA max size (27000mah) and that’s a steal for one. Thanks fellow Goon.