Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Vegas are one of eleven teams who have never won a Stanley Cup. It’s gotta be hard to root for such a storied franchise and see them come so close again, having never made it all the way. I’m sure there are a lot of cross-generational bonds in Las Vegas. Parents who hope their kids finally get to see what they never got to see growing up. Cubbies 2016 vibes, if I’m being honest. You gotta cut Lessail some slack here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vegas will be fine, they never trotted out Imagine Dragons, they learned their lesson.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If Pitbull shows up tomorrow, it’s on.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

waffle enthusiast posted:

Vegas are one of eleven teams who have never won a Stanley Cup. It’s gotta be hard to root for such a storied franchise and see them come so close again, having never made it all the way. I’m sure there are a lot of cross-generational bonds in Las Vegas. Parents who hope their kids finally get to see what they never got to see growing up. Cubbies 2016 vibes, if I’m being honest. You gotta cut Lessail some slack here.
ive been a fan of vegas hockey since we had the thunder and we had manon rheaum in the net

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

STONE COLD 64 posted:

ive been a fan of vegas hockey since we had the thunder and we had manon rheaum in the net

Didn’t even start her in the nhl. Cowards

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
The thread drama is going way over my head, I watched the game on mute because I had some work to do, and other than what seemed like Bobrovsky playing better, what did Florida do differently? And was the game actually chippy or were the refs just calling more penalties to keep things from getting spicy again?

IMO nothing would better break Florida's back than a home loss in the next game. It would be awesome to see Vegas win the cup in Vegas.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

waffle enthusiast posted:

:)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Huggybear posted:

The thread drama is going way over my head, I watched the game on mute because I had some work to do, and other than what seemed like Bobrovsky playing better, what did Florida do differently?

- Tkachuk scored

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Huggybear posted:

The thread drama is going way over my head, I watched the game on mute because I had some work to do, and other than what seemed like Bobrovsky playing better, what did Florida do differently? And was the game actually chippy or were the refs just calling more penalties to keep things from getting spicy again?

IMO nothing would better break Florida's back than a home loss in the next game. It would be awesome to see Vegas win the cup in Vegas.

It wasn't super chippy, but the penalties called were pretty clear. I'm sure there will be some arguing about one tripping call where they pulled the wrong guy to the box, but it was still a penalty if a bit soft. Vegas didn't put it away when they had the chances and Florida put it in the net when they finally did. Bob played better than he did in game 2 and that did make a difference.

Florida needs to stop taking so many stupid penalties, and so does William Carrier. Only Florida is getting punished for it though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Huggybear posted:

refs were kinda overboard

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Florida def needs to stop taking that many penalties, you know you’re taking too many when NHL refs keep calling your team versus balancing the game.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They could also just call some of the things the Knights are doing too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're onto flailing whataboutism. The Panthers finally have real fans.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
lol if the Panthers don't want to kill penalties they should try not committing extremely obvious penalties. Which they are doing at like 3 times the rate Vegas is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No doubt we’re committing more, doesn’t mean the Knights haven’t gotten away with some absolute howlers. Not saying games we lost were winnable through penalties (they weren’t) but that trip end of third compared to cheap shots in front of the refs the other way is kinda lame. Calling retaliations after missed calls over and over again, and they wonder why they lose control of the game.

Hell even commentary were talking about how the Knights should immediately just smash Tkachuk once he came back onto the ice after probably barely passing a concussion test, didn’t hear anything remotely like that saying we should test Eichel in period 3 the previous game after their horror that he might never play again, just to return after a short break.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I did.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Panthers have also gotten away with more obvious-but-uncalled penalties than the Knights have.

The Panthers' strategy is to play dirty. Just own it. It's a good strategy, especially in the playoffs, especially in the playoffs when your opponent is better than you. They just didn't execute the strategy very well in game 3. They went too far and were too obvious.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I think the panthers are dirty and it owns. Owns!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

wonderllama is not right but he's Correct - if your team is dirty and lovely, embrace it and love it. sports is for the joy. look at how all of the rangers fans treat jacob trouba. be like that to your favorite team

cats fans, embracing being the bad guy:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh I enjoy and own the dirt, we learned from the last few playoff runs that being submissive ain’t the way, and hell that first round series against the Bolts the other year was just both teams going for it and was easily *the* series that year. Great for everyone (except the outcome for us, ha) and built up the rivalry between us that wasn’t quite there yeah.

But everyone acts like VGK are this all skill no dirt team while watching their goalie throw punches multiple times, and it’s just lol. I mean our PP stinks anyway so we don’t really want penalties called to tell the truth. Panthers have two very different modes, when we’re in sync it’s just beautiful to watch the passing but when they’re flustered it completely falls apart. Hoping for more of the former tonight, everything coming together and Tkachuk playing close to a full game and giving us an actual chance. Obviously need G3 Bob to turn up too.

Too hot to party outside the arena so biding my time before going in, lol at the $100 parking fee gently caress that.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if you've watched a lot of vgk games there have definitely been moments where the opposing team is very much gloves-off trying to instigate poo poo and vgk just sits there like :geno:. it's not an unearned reputation

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I thought the Knights were dirty in 2018 when they swept the Kings in the first round. But I haven't seen too much dirtyness from them this season.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN8YQChijGA

Haula literally starts to get up with his free hand then changes his mind so that he can butt-end Kopitar with his stick.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh I enjoy and own the dirt, we learned from the last few playoff runs that being submissive ain’t the way, and hell that first round series against the Bolts the other year was just both teams going for it and was easily *the* series that year. Great for everyone (except the outcome for us, ha) and built up the rivalry between us that wasn’t quite there yeah.

But everyone acts like VGK are this all skill no dirt team while watching their goalie throw punches multiple times, and it’s just lol. I mean our PP stinks anyway so we don’t really want penalties called to tell the truth. Panthers have two very different modes, when we’re in sync it’s just beautiful to watch the passing but when they’re flustered it completely falls apart. Hoping for more of the former tonight, everything coming together and Tkachuk playing close to a full game and giving us an actual chance. Obviously need G3 Bob to turn up too.

Too hot to party outside the arena so biding my time before going in, lol at the $100 parking fee gently caress that.

Gee I wonder why Hill is throwing those punches. There cannot be any good reason why.
More goalies should throw hands against shithead rats gooning up their paint imo :colbert: it's one of many reasons why I love Gibson so much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

QuasiQuack posted:

Gee I wonder why Hill is throwing those punches. There cannot be any good reason why.

Yeah he should probably tell his guys not to push people into his goal if he doesn’t want to get a shove when they get back out ;)

And hey if we can get a goalie fight out of all this I’ll be all up for that, so keep at it!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

goalie fights kick rear end

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hextall may have been a trash GM but he is still my favorite player, and I wish more goalies acted batshit like he did, because goalies fighting and getting pissed off is the best thing

Just watching people get bodied or see him get so mad he would just start fighting or chasing people down was fun as hell

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s like 4 Vegas fans at the game tonight and one of them managed to get arrested. Incredible.

https://twitter.com/david954fla/status/1667731804000796673?s=46&t=c0gactqXNUS6mwc1ykXaXQ

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 'k/night' call during the anthem was pretty loud so probably not.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s like 4 Vegas fans at the game tonight and one of them managed to get arrested. Incredible.

https://twitter.com/david954fla/status/1667731804000796673?s=46&t=c0gactqXNUS6mwc1ykXaXQ

But did he throw trash on the ice like the Florida fans?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lol

If/when the knights win, are any NHL gms going to be the "copycats" they supposedly are and go all in and start making big trades and try to make a winning team every year. This is pretty unprecedented in modern sports.

I feel for tkachuk also

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

There were a lot of vegas fans at the game

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

sleep with the vicious posted:

If/when the knights win, are any NHL gms going to be the "copycats" they supposedly are and go all in and start making big trades and try to make a winning team every year. This is pretty unprecedented in modern sports.

I hope so. This applies even if the Panthers win too. GMs need to trade more. I don't necessarily want NBA levels of superstar movement, but it seems NHL GMs are pretty boring and risk-averse compared to the other major leagues. Maybe this will shake things up.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

everyones going to copycat the vegas formula. simply fold your franchise then restart it from scratch

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

secret volcano lair posted:

everyones going to copycat the vegas formula. simply fold your franchise then restart it from scratch

Well they copied the Tampa strategy of "guy is 'injured' and happens to come back for game 1 of the playoffs, therefore also freeing up money" so I think others will copy that as well.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
sadly nearly all NHL GMs have terminal loser brain where they are terrified of making a trade for fear that they’ll see a D+ by their name in one trade grade article on TSN

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 11, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

The 'k/night' call during the anthem was pretty loud so probably not.

We shout Knight for Spencer Knight, it’s not road fans ;)

And the trash throwing people suck and I hope they all get banned. Obviously didn’t see how that worked out for Dallas, embarrassing for sure.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pathetic, Florida, another ratshit cup finals.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

And the trash throwing people suck and I hope they all get banned. Obviously didn’t see how that worked out for Dallas, embarrassing for sure.

Lol won't someone think of the :decorum:?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

EL BROMANCE posted:

Who cares

Throw trash eat hamburgers live mas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

sleep with the vicious posted:

Lol

I feel for tkachuk also

the thing that people are seizing on is having big rangy defenseman as being the key to victory. Basically the thing that matches the old school peoples pre-conceived notion of what is most important to have on a hockey team.

I mean the big rangy defenseman didn't help Vegas win any other year. But now they are the key to victory and all the bad teams will try to re-make their blueline in the image of Vegas's.