Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

ughhhh posted:

If the Russians are going back to the military structure they had during the USSR and ditching the new BTG structure, I hope they do the same for their economic and political structure too :pray:

Just lol that Putin's biggest political opponent is the still the Communist Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just as a pointless hypothetical how do you think this war might have turned out if NATO had given all the poo poo they eventually gave Ukraine in March 2022 instead of drip-feeding it over a year and change

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Just lol that Putin's biggest political opponent is the still the Communist Party.

I keep telling Westerners about this and it blows their minds because they think it's Navalny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Danann posted:

Between the OG discord leaks demonstrating that intelligence uses OSINT and the UKR government as sources, doctrine people being on reddit, and this video of presumably a rehearsal for breaching:
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1661670760459431937

The planners may legitimately have incorporated NAFO assumptions that a show of force with their great western wunderwaffen (super nightvision/thermals, LEOPARDS, and FPV drones) would cause the demoralized and ill-equipped orks to flee before them and put the Crimean land bridge in jeopardy.

More proof for my understanding of these people as viewing war as a sort of fever dream of classic rock playing while people vibe to Freedom

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Chillgamesh posted:

Just as a pointless hypothetical how do you think this war might have turned out if NATO had given all the poo poo they eventually gave Ukraine in March 2022 instead of drip-feeding it over a year and change

Russia probably would have carpet bombed Kiev imo. That kind of escalation would have provoked an existential threat response.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Captioning "Ukraine is exhausted" over General Revil and then being hunted down in the woods like a dog

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Actually it's much funnier than that, because the abstracted model for infantry attacking prepared positions requires you have superiority of artillery, in addition to that, to even work out how the attack might succeed. The reason being that your 3:1 advantage in infantry will be negated as your infantry is engaged by artillery prior to contact:

Now, the math elaborating this is a bit insane, but those 7 steps encompass the whole theory

and this is of course supported in both of the foundational manuals all artillery officers must know, Land Operations and Field Artillery Doctrine

Which is a very long way of saying, you couldn't even proceed with all of the staff planning, at least as it's laid out doctrinally, without enough of an artillery concentration to achieve at least a local, temporary superiority. You couldn't plan breaching obstacles, the break-in phase, exploitation etc. if the expectation is that you're outgunned the whole time

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Chad Jihad posted:

Captioning "Ukraine is exhausted" over General Revil and then being hunted down in the woods like a dog

Do the crime, do the time

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

tazjin posted:

I keep telling Westerners about this and it blows their minds because they think it's Navalny.

Lol yes, all the coverage we get about Russia paints him as Putin's biggest opponent. His party doesn't even have seats in the Duma.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I guess that also works in his favor since he can claim to the west he's being suppressed, and get more USAID money.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

sleep with the vicious posted:

When was the last time zelenskyy was even in Ukraine. Isnt it really bizarre that he hasn't been there in forever and is just going around begging for support.

It's a humorous contrast to Poroshenko who is not in any way permitted to leave the country

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1667224504035160065

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Optics rear end war.

Not a good look if true!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

lol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Рыбарь posted:

❗️🇷🇺🇺🇦 Map of AFU losses in Zaporizhzhya direction over the last week

Having analyzed the photos and videos posted in the Net, Rybar's team made a map of losses of the AFU equipment in the Zaporizhzhia direction over the past few days.

A total of 77 tanks, BMPs, APCs, and armored vehicles of the enemy in the areas near Orekhovo and Vremievka were taken out of action by Russian servicemen. The list includes only those vehicles whose destruction or destruction is confirmed by open sources: in reality there are clearly more.

The map does not show vehicles whose location could not be unambiguously geolocated. In particular, one of the AMX-10RC wheeled tanks abandoned by the AFU, three Leopard 2A4s knocked out by FPV drones, one M2A2 ODS Bradley, and about a dozen other vehicles are missing on it.

Much of the enemy's vehicles were hit on the approach to Russian positions, which is the result of tight mines and good cooperation with aviation and artillery. The latter is also supported by the complex defeat of the advancing columns: the detected and uprun vehicles were destroyed by artillery, helicopters, APCs and FPV drones.

📌 All this clearly confirms the high losses of the AFU and refutes the reports about the alleged "insignificant damage". Although by no means all of the equipment was destroyed, a significant portion of it is in the firing range and cannot be evacuated by the enemy to the rear.

At the same time, it is not worth getting overconfident: the Ukrainian formations still have considerable reserves and have not yet carried out a major strike by the 9th and 10th Corps. Nevertheless, over the course of a few days, Russian forces have clearly inflicted substantial damage on them.

Инфографика в высоком разрешении

English version

#Запорожье #Россия #Украина
@rybar

Поддержать нас
(from t.me/rybar/48359, via tgsa)

Rybar infographic of where the Ukrainian vehicle losses have been geolocated to relative to Russian lines.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol I wish I got paid that much

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Remembering that video of all the Ukrainian soldiers going "shh"

Also that recent AI image of the leopards (cats) in front of the army.

They're so loving dumb lol. Like dumb in a "some random 50 year old guy posting on Facebook" sort of way.

If I had to guess who runs that account, I'd go with Reznikov. He definitely gives those vibes.

It's because they're alcoholics.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's because they're alcoholics.

who isn't an alcoholic

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the west's gonna impose some more terms on its investment
The United States Funds Economic Survey of Ukraine for Sustainable Recovery

www.state.gov posted:

At the 2023 Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Ministerial Council Meeting in Paris, France, Under Secretary of State for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment Jose W. Fernandez announced the United States fully supports the OECD Country Program for Ukraine and is pleased to commit $437,000 for its implementation. The OECD country program will support Ukraine’s agenda for reform, recovery, and reconstruction.

The U.S. donation will fund an economic survey of Ukraine to identify gaps and prioritize reforms needed to ensure broader recovery efforts. The United States has thus far contributed $19.25 billion in budget support to enable the Government of Ukraine to pay salaries of first responders and government officials, meet pension obligations, and operate hospitals. The United States and the OECD continue to further deepen and strengthen our cooperation with Ukraine to support its recovery.

Learn more about the OECD’s launch of a four-year country program for Ukraine.

To stay updated, follow Under Secretary Fernandez on Twitter: @State_E, Facebook: @StateDeptE, and LinkedIn: @State-E.

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

Well it turns out these new wundertanks are just like other tanks: lovely steel boxes on tracks that can be disabled pretty easily. Who would've thunk it.

lmao

speng31b
May 8, 2010

antipattern posted:

Well it turns out these new wundertanks are just like other tanks: lovely steel boxes on tracks that can be disabled pretty easily. Who would've thunk it.

careful someone is going to show up to defend the honor of tanks

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol the US has bought the entire country out at this point

the only thing protecting them from the US coming in and taking everything, bolted down or not, is the war and Russian presence. What a disaster. They're fighting the good fight militarily but they were powerless to stop their 'allies' mercilessly destroying them economically.

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012
You know things are going well for Ukraine when western media is already blaming any failures on a lack of F-16s.
https://twitter.com/insidermildef/status/1667542237205393412

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Alpha 1 posted:

You know things are going well for Ukraine when western media is already blaming any failures on a lack of F-16s.

of course, the single new wunderwaffe that ukraine only needs 3 of to win the war

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Alpha 1 posted:

lol please tell me what difference F-16s would have made.

Someone already tried using dive bombers as flying artillery against entrenched Russian positions. Just like they already tried running headlong into them with heavy tanks.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
The whole F16 saga is just rear end covering in case the offensive fails

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Raskolnikov38 posted:

just going to breakthrough to a depth of several kilometers entirely without tanks lmao

you could do it with dirtbikes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

cncgnxcg posted:

goverment approval at all time lows

nazis at 18% federally

hmm what to do

Well, don't worry. Those 18% are going to NAFO the gently caress out if ever required. They first appeared as a fake opposition under the banner of "Merkel shouldn't save the Greeks".

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Frosted Flake posted:

Someone already tried using dive bombers as flying artillery against entrenched Russian positions. Just like they already tried running headlong into them with heavy tanks.

Same insignias and everything

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

genericnick posted:

Well, don't worry. Those 18% are going to NAFO the gently caress out if ever required. They first appeared as a fake opposition under the banner of "Merkel shouldn't save the Greeks".

They would probably be pushing for an all out war on Russia and the retaking of Königsberg if they were in power right now lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I did not expect NAFO to react this way.

https://twitter.com/RedDawn141/status/1667226630870257664?s=20
https://twitter.com/PKazandzhii/status/1667219866556743696?s=20
https://twitter.com/larrykim/status/1667277383181664256?s=20

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Literal cult mentality.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

im taking heavy moral damage, send help

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A counter-argument for the counter-offensive's progress

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1667648741740892161

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

A counter-argument for the counter-offensive's progress

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1667648741740892161

IS that the defense line? I thought that was all no mans land and the defense lines were further back?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/business/status/1667650625318821892?s=20

War in Ukraine is SO 2022.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The forward defense lines got wiped out in the battle of Kursk too. Imo its still too early to call the outcome of the offensive but attacking into fortified areas with less artillery than the defenders and no air support vs. air support, was never going to be promising even if they delivered the entirety of what Zaluzhny asked for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

IS that the defense line? I thought that was all no mans land and the defense lines were further back?

It means after 4-ish days of fighting they've actually reached the skirmish line: