Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Swore this game off due to the monetization but that Diablo itch is burning hard inside me.

Just curious - I know Blizzard’s been doing those famous Blizzard “balance patches” but how is class balance now, genuinely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

You don't need to learn the lingo to run the T1 cinematic leveling experience and hitting the imps with any random stick will finish the campaign. Afterwards if you want to get on the current endgame treadmill, there are only a few viable skill combos that 95% of the gold farmers and internet beggars run because the majority of skills in this game are so anemic they can be considered cosmetic.

this is super interesting

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

You don't need to learn the lingo to run the T1 cinematic leveling experience and hitting the imps with any random stick will finish the campaign. Afterwards if you want to get on the current endgame treadmill, there are only a few viable skill combos that 95% of the gold farmers and internet beggars run because the majority of skills in this game are so anemic they can be considered cosmetic.

for rogue I really prefer flurry over twisting blades

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Game threw me 2 unique pants on what is probably my final dungeon run, too bad all the uniques seem to suck and aren't worth using.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I feel so bad when I accidentally explode a deer.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There are many very good uniques

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

impressively lopsided. streamer/youtube/guide meta is definitely skewing that, but even still that's very lopsided

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

BULBASAUR posted:

I do too but twisting blades just feels like it hits so much harder especially in a single target situation where flurry's key trait (spreading vulnerability around) doesn't matter

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

katkillad2 posted:

Game threw me 2 unique pants on what is probably my final dungeon run, too bad all the uniques seem to suck and aren't worth using.

lol what the uniques are amazing

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

0.00% people running boulder or incinerate, gj blizzard

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Congratulations to Boulder and Incinerate for not being taken by even a single person in the top 1000! Incinerate has great sound design and plenty of skill and legendary support, but standing still is death after world tier 2, and even in it sometimes, I'm guessing.

The conjuration skills are all just awful. Hydra was apparently broken in beta or something but they smashed it so hard nobody runs it in live. Ice Blades feels awful to cast and has poor visual feedback even if it's doing something. Lightning Spear is literally not even worth a button press it does so little, and the percentages on the supporting legendary and skill effects are hilariously low. They could be 100% and I still think nobody would really run it. Ice Shards is fun and has a lot of synergy but it's pretty clear Blizzard is going to smash all of the top-performing stuff with massive nerfs before they consider buffing the stuff people are ignoring. Lol at Barbs just always taking Whirlwind...nobody wants to play with anything new. Spin to win go brrrr

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 10, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Psyker posted:

Swore this game off due to the monetization but that Diablo itch is burning hard inside me.

Just curious - I know Blizzard’s been doing those famous Blizzard “balance patches” but how is class balance now, genuinely?

I don't know why you'd target this game for monetization unless you refuse to play anything with any monetization at all. It's minor, cosmetic only—lots of cool armor in the game for free.

It's rare I see anyone with paid cosmetics, not that I'd necessarily notice anyway.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Darke GBF posted:

Congratulations to Boulder and Incinerate for not being taken by even a single person in the top 1000!

my wife who is a complete casual, whos only game played before this was D3 which she loves, and only played sorceress incinerate, completely hates sorceress now and especially incinerate. gg blizz

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Every guide recommends lunging strike for barb I think entirely for its gap closing capability. It's kinda lame so I run frenzy.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

I've discovered some enemies which eliminate your resource and it's the least fun thing ever.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The thing is you don't need to be a guide reader or meta humping streamer to try skills out and realize that some feel OK and some are three times as strong and useful. Invigorating Strike was my first builder. Went to Shifting Blade soon, then tried Bow Rogue in Acts 2-3. I tried Puncture in Act 4 on. Puncture does more damage, multi-hits to trigger more things and spreads slow and vuln much more easily. It even does it better than trying to spread Flurry Vulns, which is OK but.. eh. Also Twisting Blades utterly deletes targets if you stack any other conditions on it(i.e. vuln damage) so yeah, basic experimentation is gonna tell you which top 1/3 of skills to use.

So even as a dude who didn't look at a single guide I found the meta, apparently.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

Did you get the amulet to drop? I thought it was going to be like shako level rare. I have everything else but haven't bothered trying to put it together since I figure I'd never see the amulet.

The build only wants CDR on the amulet, and "3 to envenom" if you can get it. Not sure if which amulet you're talking about or which build.

Doomykins posted:

The thing is you don't need to be a guide reader or meta humping streamer to try skills out and realize that some feel OK and some are three times as strong and useful. Invigorating Strike was my first builder. Went to Shifting Blade soon, then tried Bow Rogue in Acts 2-3. I tried Puncture in Act 4 on. Puncture does more damage, multi-hits to trigger more things and spreads slow and vuln much more easily. It even does it better than trying to spread Flurry Vulns, which is OK but.. eh. Also Twisting Blades utterly deletes targets if you stack any other conditions on it(i.e. vuln damage) so yeah, basic experimentation is gonna tell you which top 1/3 of skills to use.

So even as a dude who didn't look at a single guide I found the meta, apparently.

The game had zero balancing and QoL work in the past year. It feels like everything went into the campaign and then it more or less falls apart shortly after.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 10, 2023

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

I've discovered some enemies which eliminate your resource and it's the least fun thing ever.

which ones? wraiths had mana burn in d2 and i hated them forever because of it, but i haven't seen anything like that in this game yet

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

thats not candy posted:

which ones? wraiths had mana burn in d2 and i hated them forever because of it, but i haven't seen anything like that in this game yet

In shadowed plunge dungeon but i think it's my nightmare sigil affix. In which case I guess I'm avoiding those sigils forever

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

In shadowed plunge dungeon but i think it's my nightmare sigil affix. In which case I guess I'm avoiding those sigils forever

ah that makes sense as a nightmare modifier. another point for resourceless builds i guess

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kaddish posted:

I don't know why you'd target this game for monetization unless you refuse to play anything with any monetization at all. It's minor, cosmetic only—lots of cool armor in the game for free.

It's rare I see anyone with paid cosmetics, not that I'd necessarily notice anyway.

If isn't a big deal why is it in the game? I mean it couldn't possibly be because they know that to many people cosmetics are part of the experience, part of the enjoyment of the game. They are paying AAA price, and getting a worse experience. That's bad. You shouldn't be handwaving that poo poo away.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

Wtf is this marketing? This is the company that bullied a woman to death and had the Cosby suite right?

They need to get normal, red blooded american men who play madden on xbox to buy this game too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SettingSun posted:

Every guide recommends lunging strike for barb I think entirely for its gap closing capability. It's kinda lame so I run frenzy.

I initially resisted and went with a frenzy build too; It reminds me of D2 dual wield barb, and sounded like fun. That was a mistake. With LS, your primary attack is a mobility skill, and it’s loving amazing. Reminds me of stance dancing prot warrior from WoW, except you can actually kill things.

I would reconsider this opinion if Blizz does the needful and buffs frenzy.

:hai:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I got an almost perfectly rolled crystal greatsword with a sick whirlwind bonus (increased crit chance per second), so I immediately switched from a bleed build to lungey, stompy, jumpy, shouty build and it's wonderful to just get at the enemy and hurt them. No waiting for the Rupture cooldown or whatever, just here comes the helicopter open up and die.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, I'm surprised that number is so low, I respecced into the flurry build on icey veins and it kicks rear end

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat farming the loot cave and my wife gets the bloody sacred unique sorc pants that frozen things have a 20% chance to explode when killed. we're blasting now.

it works with my klils on frozen things, along with her fireball enchant causing enemies to explode for 50% of life when killed, I can be 2 screens away and enemies are still popping with the fire explosions, seems to work on any party members kills

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

World boss spawning in 18 minutes in Seared Basin. I dunno how it's handled in the game but for me the timer is there.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

I got an almost perfectly rolled crystal greatsword with a sick whirlwind bonus (increased crit chance per second), so I immediately switched from a bleed build to lungey, stompy, jumpy, shouty build and it's wonderful to just get at the enemy and hurt them. No waiting for the Rupture cooldown or whatever, just here comes the helicopter open up and die.

I had a similar experience with my necro where I was switching off and on the minion build and had a pretty tanky healbot setup for my sizeable posse with +2 mages and +2 warriors on the dagger and shield, then found a +78% Overpower damage on a two-hander scythe and into the sacrificial pit went all my minions. Finding new items can really make you spend a shitload of gold on respeccing to entire new builds.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

What is this chart? I’m running super lighting everything Druid and it basically looks like nothing on this chart haha.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there anything in the game that can boost item level, like in Destiny 2 though I forget what it is called? I got this ring and I am wondering if I can keep using it.

EDIT: I know there is Upgrade but that tops out. That said, it would make sense if that is the point and I just answered my own question.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 10, 2023

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Uhhhh, something is wrong with my "Upgrade" here, why is it lowering my Lucky Hit chance by a lot

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

If isn't a big deal why is it in the game? I mean it couldn't possibly be because they know that to many people cosmetics are part of the experience, part of the enjoyment of the game. They are paying AAA price, and getting a worse experience. That's bad. You shouldn't be handwaving that poo poo away.

I don't care about the cosmetics for sale. I'm sorry I have disappointed you. I hope we can heal from this.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Duck and Cover posted:

It’s in the game because they know some whale will spend a paycheck on cosmetics. Any company that makes games would be an idiot not to monetize. Do I think it’s a morally good thing to do? No. Will I ever spend a dollar on Diablo skins? No. But I get why they do it.

Whether we like it or not, this is a thing that will always happen now. As consumers it is our job to not pay for that bullshit. That way they will at least only try to monetize cosmetics.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m a filthy casual so don’t get mad at me but how do less than half of sorcerers use a basic attack? Do you just have infinite mana at some point?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah ice shards can eventually get enough mana Regen to not need a generator.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For Barbarians, is does Fury not deplete over time anymore? I noticed that it wasn't depleting and I remember that being the case in D3.

I will say, I do kind of miss the Runed system for abilities from D3, where you can have modifiers that drastically affected how the skill acts. I mean, they kind of have that with the binary modifiers but then that only makes two meaningful versions. Would have like to see more options like that for a skill.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not even sure how I feel about cosmetics for this game yet. Like you can't really even see them like you can in like Fortnite.

I feel the same way about the CoD cosmetics.

The cool PoE cosmetics are skins for your skill effects or silly gimmicky stuff like a magic ring that causes two ghostly hands to fist bump in the air over your heads when you trade with another player. Skill effects are the big one, you see those way more than you do your characters gloves or whatever in this kind of game

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there anything in the game that can boost item level, like in Destiny 2 though I forget what it is called? I got this ring and I am wondering if I can keep using it.

EDIT: I know there is Upgrade but that tops out. That said, it would make sense if that is the point and I just answered my own question.

You can extract the legendary power from it and slap it on a higher ilvl rare item with good rolls later

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

For Barbarians, is does Fury not deplete over time anymore? I noticed that it wasn't depleting and I remember that being the case in D3.

I will say, I do kind of miss the Runed system for abilities from D3, where you can have modifiers that drastically affected how the skill acts. I mean, they kind of have that with the binary modifiers but then that only makes two meaningful versions. Would have like to see more options like that for a skill.

It does deplete over time, but the timer on it is in my experience pretty generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Up to level 23 on a frost sorc and I am suitably whelmed. I assume the game gets a lot better after you beat it, which is pretty much expected but also an incredibly dated and contrived gameplay concept in TYOOL 2023 and makes it feel like a bit of a grind. Mostly I’m annoyed by the bugs. Why does the game freeze if I interact with anything within 3 seconds of completing a quest? Why does the open inventory hot key not work half the time unless you press it a second time? Why do some buttons make a continuous sound when you hover them? Why can some conversations be advanced/skipped but not others? The one thing that gives me hope that maybe the devs know what they’re doing more than I give them credit for is when I missed picking up a quest reward cache and later found it helpfully sitting in my stash as a “missed item”. Tell me it gets better?

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 11, 2023