Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
About Miguel, What's the deal with him being a vampire? Between the shot of his fangs at the beginning of the movie, and the brief mention of him being a vampire I thought that would come into play but it just sort of doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He's not spiders have fangs too, him being kinda a vampire is just a joke. He just has a paralytic bite it might also come up in the second movie since it was written as one.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I realize that ties into the larger MCU are sorta eye-roll worthy considering how good this movie is standing on its own (well, standing with the other Spider-Verses, anyway), but my theatre had a great moment of "oh hey" when Miguel drew up what the multiverse looks like, before it turns into the Web.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was happy that Tobey and Andrew made it in the movie

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Feels weird seeing people who haven't watched Into the Spiderverse share the tiktok canon event meme

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s how things spread. The term and concept just clicks.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

About Miguel, What's the deal with him being a vampire? Between the shot of his fangs at the beginning of the movie, and the brief mention of him being a vampire I thought that would come into play but it just sort of doesn't?

He's a little more spider than man in his comics.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

That’s how things spread. The term and concept just clicks.

ya but then the need to explain the joke kicks in and then you are in spoiler territory

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i don’t know, it’s pretty self explanatory.

I just checked insta and now I have a ton of canon event videos running through my algorithms.

“Watching your sibling be awkward in middle school but can’t do anything bc it’s a canon event.”

You get the idea through context

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't get Miguel's point that Miles is a mistake and not meant to be Spiderman. If that's the case, then why will he have a canon event, and why is Miguel worried?

That's probably a contradiction that's meant to be easy to miss and also very deliberate. Miguel's ideas of 'canon events' may well be basically superstition
that he's drawn from correlation, not causation, and even the anomaly we see... well, the Spot seems to have transcended dimensions, space and time at this point. Miguel's a badly damaged person flailing for order and control, and also possibly an analogy for capitalism.

Short version, Spider-Punk is probably right about everything.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Saw this today with my wife and 3 year old daughter and finally caught up on the thread. ItSV is one of my daughter and I's favorite movies and we both loved this. She got very concerned several times and shouted out to Gwen or Miles when they were in trouble. :3:

I can't wait to watch his a bunch more times.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Can we get a whole Andy Samberg Ben Reilly movie? Because I'm down for that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My favourite detail I found out today.

When Rio snaps her fingers at Miles after learning his Spanish grade, it’s a little Puerto Rican flag!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I actually did notice that even though it was very fast. Nice little touch. I'm sure there's way more of that kind of thing in the movie because at certain points there is just so much going on.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I actually did notice that even though it was very fast. Nice little touch. I'm sure there's way more of that kind of thing in the movie because at certain points there is just so much going on.

it was in the trailer! that specific moment was actually when I decided I had to watch it in the theater

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best joke in the movie imo is the cough at the logos. I was the only one who laughed

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm rewatching into the spiderverse and I feel like I definitely should have done this before seeing across the spiderverse because there's all this small stuff I forgot that's referenced

Like the fact that miles ties peter b parker to a punching bag after capturing him lol

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Just saw this movie, it ruled. The animation is stunning, the use of color to convey emotions was inspired. Hell of a cliff hanger though, and apparently the sequel isn't coming out for like five years?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 11, 2023

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

The best joke in the movie imo is the cough at the logos. I was the only one who laughed

Soda! It's a generic brand!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Just saw this movie, it ruled. The animation is stunning, the use of color to convey emotions was inspired. Hell of a cliff hanger though, and apparently the sequel isn't coming out for like five years?
No the release window was next spring, but that's probably going to get pushed back because of the writers' strike

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

My favourite detail I found out today.

When Rio snaps her fingers at Miles after learning his Spanish grade, it’s a little Puerto Rican flag!

This movie is just so drat good

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mystes posted:

I'm rewatching into the spiderverse and I feel like I definitely should have done this before seeing across the spiderverse because there's all this small stuff I forgot that's referenced

Like the fact that miles ties peter b parker to a punching bag after capturing him lol

Ghost Leviathan posted:

"Don't watch the mouth, watch the hands."

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

What I like even with how Miguel is acting, I think its totally in line with being a spider-man. The conviction to hold true to your beliefs. Great Power, comes responsibility etc.
Like from his perspective, if the whole canon events stuff is true, its makes total sense why he acts the way he does.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mystes posted:

I'm rewatching into the spiderverse and I feel like I definitely should have done this before seeing across the spiderverse

yes also because its truly amazing how much more they pushed the animation into the storytelling in Across and you can really appreciate that difference. and also also how much better Into's soundtrack is..

that said, what a brilliant way to show a particular style of grandma couch:

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
reading through Renew Your Vows (comic run about Peter, MJ, and their daughter fighting crime together) and it would make the perfect standalone movie for Peter B if we ever get such a thing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I will admit, now having seen the movie 3 times, that the soundtrack is growing on me. It still never reaches the highs that the firsts did, but it's good for vibes. Granted I also think the vibification of music isn't great for the rap genre as a whole, but for a movie soundtrack it's probably fine

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Gaius Marius posted:

I will admit, now having seen the movie 3 times, that the soundtrack is growing on me. It still never reaches the highs that the firsts did, but it's good for vibes. Granted I also think the vibification of music isn't great for the rap genre as a whole, but for a movie soundtrack it's probably fine

its a frankly disappointing end credits compared to DJ Khalil and those recursive spider mans

to be clear every other composition element is better executed in Across, but wow Into's soundtrack was just stunning

fosborb fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 11, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

the soundtrack was consistantly good and found myself being aware of it more than the first movie.

but doesn't reach the heights of the whats up danger climax scene

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

fosborb posted:

its a frankly disappointing end credits compared to DJ Khalil and those recursive spider mans

to be clear every other composition element is better executed in Across, but wow Into's soundtrack was just stunning

While I don't think the visual sequence compares at all to the first movie's, I like the song itself a lot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, a lot of the music just became background noise for me compared to the first actually having iconic songs.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Sure the soundtrack may not be as iconic, but I would say the score is better.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah I love Gwen and Miguel’s themes. They’re both really good. Weirdly my favourite song from ATSV isn’t on the soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/9gv3_zHJHQ4

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I smoked some hash and went to see this thing yesterday. IT was a good choice.

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that this is the most visually stunnning movie I think I have ever seen - animated, live action, CGI or otherwise. To simply call it a painting or a comic book come to life doesn't really do it justice. It feels like an art style all it's own and you never EVER get tired of looking at it. It's loving incredible.

Reading the thread, I think I spaced out on one or two plot elements but it didn't effect my enjoyment of it at all. Often, it's almost sensory overload and threatens to be too much but it never is. Just a total joy to watch from beginning to end and with several lol moments that really tickled me.

Go see this movie.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 11, 2023

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The score is incredible. It’s got callbacks and motifs all over the drat place.

Spot’s theme is a remix of the collider theme from the first, for example.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wittgen posted:

Sure the soundtrack may not be as iconic, but I would say the score is better.

The score is way higher energy than the originals, with a lot more weaving of motifs and character specific stings into every song, often multiple characters at the same time. Genuinely been listening to it non stop for days.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

10 Beers posted:

Saw this today with my wife and 3 year old daughter and finally caught up on the thread. ItSV is one of my daughter and I's favorite movies and we both loved this. She got very concerned several times and shouted out to Gwen or Miles when they were in trouble. :3:

I can't wait to watch his a bunch more times.

The movies aren't too heavy for your kid? Peter dying at the start of the first one and Fisk being so scary at the end is why I haven't shown it to my son, and he's a lot older than your 3 year old

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You should show it to your son

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I just finished Miles Morales on PS and I wish he would have made it into the movie. I'll take the bodega cat being an actual spider counting as a shout out to hum.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

I just finished Miles Morales on PS and I wish he would have made it into the movie. I'll take the bodega cat being an actual spider counting as a shout out to hum.

I think they didn't want to undercut Prowler Miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
There's a shot of Miles' roommate playing Spiderman on a PS4 or PS5 so seems like the games exist in-universe.