Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dark secret of FF16 is that it is only 2 hours long. The demo is the entirety of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If the demo is released tomorrow, I wonder what time it will be released. Hopefully at a time when I can actually play it before going to bed.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I remember playing the FF7 demo that came with Tobal No. 1 like a million times while waiting for the full game to be released. That was like a nine month wait.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1667638409920380928?t=XqnGMWl2HpU6Rf9CkMUY7g&s=19

They showed this live action ad during a UEFA match.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Terper posted:

an Experienced Gamer wiĺl have a fairly easy time the first time through with maybe a bump in the road here and there to let everyone have a smooth ride and enjoy the story, NG+ is then far more challenging and changes enemy groups, placement and AI, is what they've said. It also unlocks other additional challenges for the leaderboards, as well as new ways to upgrade your equipment.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1667339992258199552

Are there difficulty settings? Can we put it on Hard? Because this is the kinda game where I’m probably gonna play it once and be done forever, I would rather it have a good difficulty curve the one time than have to do New Game+ just for that.

All of the combat videos so far heavily featuring Clive running amok completely unopposed makes me a little nervous.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are there difficulty settings? Can we put it on Hard? Because this is the kinda game where I’m probably gonna play it once and be done forever, I would rather it have a good difficulty curve the one time than have to do New Game+ just for that.

All of the combat videos so far heavily featuring Clive running amok completely unopposed makes me a little nervous.

No, unequip your armor if you feel the need to be more challenged I suppose.

If you wanna see the level of challenge the game has in some optional fights, you can see a more inexperienced player doing a fight here and a more experienced player doing the same fight here, both on a first playthrough.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ytlaya posted:

If the demo is released tomorrow, I wonder what time it will be released. Hopefully at a time when I can actually play it before going to bed.

Zero chance it comes out before the end of the six hour stream imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

There is an ultrahard mode for ng+ that switches up monster placement among other things, so yes

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Asides from the harder difficulties, you can replay stages and boss fights in arcade mode to compete on global leaderboards. Being able to bring your current loadout into an earlier fight is still fun if you don't care about the score.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gently caress this game is going to own so hard

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

gently caress this game is going to own so hard

It really does seem like its going to be amazing. So excited.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I did not call off of work on the 22nd and 23rd but lmao if they think I’m actually going to be productive those days.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I don't follow many big releases closely, but what seems striking about this one is how supremely confident the devs are that they have a smash hit on their hands.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the last few years are probably the best shape the FF series has been since 1998 and I see that trending upward for the rest of this decade

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

There is an ultrahard mode for ng+ that switches up monster placement among other things, so yes

So that’s a no then per the question. Disappointing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

the last few years are probably the best shape the FF series has been since 1998 and I see that trending upward for the rest of this decade

Honestly I’d say peak FF was about 2004-ish. The franchise still had a ton of goodwill from VII-XI, X-2 was a pretty successful experiment, and there were the first rumblings over XII and Advent Children. Everyone was loving hype over Final Fantasy around then.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Peak FF was when they released FF7

Then they peaked again at FF7R

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

There are two settings, story focused and action focused. The only difference is whether the assistance accessories are on or not. As for the difficulty curve, it is probably going to be similar to FFXIV, the things on the main story will likely be relatively gentle difficulty curve, and it is going to be optional stuff like hunts, side quests and such that will be somewhat difficult, and the ‘Clive must die’ stuff will be clearly marked as such and not needed for any story progression.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 11, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i haven't really been taken in by the combat/monster lore heavy advertising for this, and the lack of a proper party, but it occurred to me that really there hasn't been a 'proper' final fantasy at this point since 10, maybe 12 counts (i like it), but man it's been a long time. over 20 years. you'd think at some point they'd realise they'd strayed too far and make one which gets back to the core of the experience people loved, like what capcom did when they started their recent remakes and back to basics before building up again, but square just doesn't really work like that. they're always experimenting in different directions, there's no real core identity or feel to final fantasy beyond mainstream japanese.

i'm not really saying that positively or negatively it's just like - what even is final fantasy, anyway.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 11, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Even when FF7 released, there were things about the SNES games that were better. I like the expressions that were possible in the sprites of the 16-bit games. You couldn’t do that in the PS1 games.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

No, unequip your armor if you feel the need to be more challenged I suppose.

If you wanna see the level of challenge the game has in some optional fights, you can see a more inexperienced player doing a fight here and a more experienced player doing the same fight here, both on a first playthrough.

The impression I get is that you can probably make things very easy on yourself if you're willing to just spend ages plinking at a boss with your ranged magic, but that there's risk in getting up close.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

roomtone posted:

i haven't really been taken in by the combat/monster lore heavy advertising for this, and the lack of a proper party, but it occurred to me that really there hasn't been a 'proper' final fantasy at this point since 10, maybe 12 counts (i like it), but man it's been a long time. over 20 years. you'd think at some point they'd realise they'd strayed too far and make one which gets back to the core of the experience people loved, like what capcom did when they started their recent remakes and back to basics before building up again, but square just doesn't really work like that. they're always experimenting in different directions, there's no real core identity or feel to final fantasy beyond mainstream japanese.

i'm not really saying that positively or negatively it's just like - what even is final fantasy, anyway.

I’ve made my peace with the fact that Final Fantasy has drastically changed directions since the PS3 era and isnt coming back. I would love a return to the series going back to parties and multiple characters joining you through most of the game, but it just isnt going to happen anymore. Xenoblade Chronicles is the game series youre looking for.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm lucky because this game seems to basically be embracing the stuff I like (cool visuals, good music, melodramatic plot) and getting rid of the things I don't really care about.

The only downside is that I prefer the weirder settings (and accompanying aesthetics) like FF8's or FF10's to "standard fantasy."

It seems like, aesthetics aside, 16 will be the most similar to FF10 in general structure, which is good since that's my favorite FF game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am happy about the return to standard fantasy setting of the earliest FF games, but I hope for FF17, they go back to the more strange setting again. FF10 is my favorite as well. Both for setting, and characters. Now will FF16 have characters that I love as much as I do in FF10, remains to be seen. I am leaning towards no, but I am positive I’m still going to love FF16 either way for its own merits.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I was iffy about the combat style in this game until after I played about an hour or so of the FF7 Remake, which was enough to sell me on it 100%. Starting Octopath Traveler up right afterwards was enough to convince me that I am totally over menu combat with random encounters and I never want to see it again.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

I’ve made my peace with the fact that Final Fantasy has drastically changed directions since the PS3 era and isnt coming back. I would love a return to the series going back to parties and multiple characters joining you through most of the game, but it just isnt going to happen anymore. Xenoblade Chronicles is the game series youre looking for.

Seconding Xenoblade Chronicles if you need to scratch that particular itch. All three are extremely good games with great (and sometimes wacky) party-based mechanics, amazing open environments, and really good stories. Bonus if you love getting lost in Side-Quest Hell.

I feel like they’ve carried the torch on that particular style Final Fantasy used to dominate, while FF proper has been continuing to reinvent itself from the ground up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like trying to define FF is more about tone than anything else. They are melodramatic action storied where even at the darkest friendship and courage can triumph over anything with a heavy emphesis on big world shaking stories.

Ff12 is probably the most 'grounded' one and it still involves a race of ancient supergods manipulating humanity.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Ben Starr is talking about the game on Giant Bomb right now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-c3yrD3yM

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

jokes posted:

Peak FF was when they released FF7

Then they peaked again at FF7R

The best time to get into FF was 1987. The second best time is RIGHT NOW

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Mainwaring posted:

I don't follow many big releases closely, but what seems striking about this one is how supremely confident the devs are that they have a smash hit on their hands.

if you put stock in random rumors, SE is "panicking" because XVI preorders are pretty down from past releases. But this game was going to carry from word of mouth and reception anyway, plus the devs seem to expect this to be a slow but steady burn for a FF game. Plus, if they play things right in the next two weeks, that preorder count could end up exploding last minute

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm 100% going to play this and haven't preordered it yet because I have no incentive to spend the money until I actually need to

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I haven't pre-ordered the game because there doesn't seem to be any benefit. I'll probably preorder it for preload later.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JBP posted:

I haven't pre-ordered the game because there doesn't seem to be any benefit. I'll probably preorder it for preload later.

Yeah, waiting for pre-load to be available.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You guys will regret it when Square changes their mind and announces that only people who pre-ordered the game prior to June 11 will be able to finish the game.

Everyone else will encounter a door that can't be opened near the end, like one of those old anti-piracy measures.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MechaX posted:

if you put stock in random rumors, SE is "panicking" because XVI preorders are pretty down from past releases.

this only relates to japan, where PS5 is still rather uncommon and the action-heavy FF16 will probably not go over well, thus it isn't the target market

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gologle posted:

The best time to get into FF was 1987. The second best time is RIGHT NOW

:hmmyes:

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

JBP posted:

I preordered the disc and baby, im getting a poster, character art cards, items and everythibg on disc no day 1 patch :cool:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

I preordered the disc and baby, im getting a poster, character art cards, items and everythibg on disc no day 1 patch :cool:

which version

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Standard. Shopto uk exclusive extras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Standard. Shopto uk exclusive extras

How is Shopto with day one delivery these days? They're a tenner cheaper than Amazon but last time I used them it took a few days after launch to show up.