Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqe6VVdK4c8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I had a funny thought yesterday. I wonder if zelenskyy testified before any grand juries while he was in the US for his visit recently

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

lol please tell me what difference F-16s would have made.

Someone already tried using dive bombers as flying artillery against entrenched Russian positions. Just like they already tried running headlong into them with heavy tanks.

It's even more funny when you consider the amount of flight hours they seem to "expect" out of them. How many units would be required to run air support, SEAD and air superiority missions?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

" im sooo tired cant we just loving move on????"

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Shan't be clicking this

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

paul_soccer12 posted:

Shan't be clicking this

good move. it was pretty rotten.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

I had a funny thought yesterday. I wonder if zelenskyy testified before any grand juries while he was in the US for his visit recently

he probably has diplomatic immunity to subpoenas

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

tazjin posted:

it's like a game of hot potato

Nice try to get Poland to take the blame.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Anyone know why Ukraine seemed to run their tanks forward without any smoke cover or artillery for support and counter battery?

I can't figure out why except either the Ukrainian artillery are too low on munitions to properly support an advance, or the genuinely believed the constant rumours that Russia used up the remaining 2 weeks of munitions that had left.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Spergin Morlock posted:

Quoting this for future reference, it’s not on Twitter.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Marenghi posted:

Anyone know why Ukraine seemed to run their tanks forward without any smoke cover or artillery for support and counter battery?

I can't figure out why except either the Ukrainian artillery are too low on munitions to properly support an advance, or the genuinely believed the constant rumours that Russia used up the remaining 2 weeks of munitions that had left.

Do we know that they didn't? Not asking for any videos, but I've only seen the picture after they got stuck in a mine field. Which, I guess, neither artillery support nor smoke screens is really going to prevent.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Marenghi posted:

it sounds like there actually were quite extensive artillery exchanges that happened prior to the offensive.. but it's being reported that for whatever reason the Ukrainians were incredibly short of anti-air capabilities and the attacking forces got routed by Russian aviation who had a free hand as well as the drones and the artillery.

It's pretty loving grim whatever is going on.. Best wishes for those Ukrainians who are caught up in this unfolding debacle

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

euphronius posted:

he probably has diplomatic immunity to subpoenas

I meant voluntarily. About the "perfect phone call" where Trump tried to extort him

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

"Seven people familiar with the situation"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Marenghi posted:

You need to support a breach at the decisive point with overwhelming firepower, direct or indirect, as well as concentrate mass, which is used to generate shock at the break-in point. Since they only had one way to produce firepower, direct firepower from tanks, the tanks had to be all things to all people.

Which is particularly, funny isn't the right word, but NATO doesn't have a 120mm HE round so their best case scenario still wasn't very good, unless the Brits came through with some HESH.

Starsfan posted:

it sounds like there actually were quite extensive artillery exchanges that happened prior to the offensive.. but it's being reported that for whatever reason the Ukrainians were incredibly short of anti-air capabilities and the attacking forces got routed by Russian aviation who had a free hand as well as the drones and the artillery.

It's pretty loving grim whatever is going on.. Best wishes for those Ukrainians who are caught up in this unfolding debacle

It's a tasking problem.

The artillery plan needs to do all of these things.

Stretched too thin, some of these tasks have to be abandoned. For example, the planning for breaching operations mentions that you want more artillery, in both tubes and units, than you would for normal offensive operations because they need to produce a smoke screen and provide illumination in addition to other missions, and guns so assigned aren't available for support or CB.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:49 on Jun 11, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Is there any pics or footage showing Ukrainian forces are within sight of a dragons tooth yet?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The logistical planning for the preparatory fires can be a Corps effort because you might have to expend weeks of ammunition in hours to achieve your tasks.

The Ukrainians have a shortage of guns and a shortage of ammunition generally, which is only exacerbated in their shortage relative the Russians, and this means that the Ukrainian artillery could only provide their first task, one for which they had the element of surprise, before their capabilities would rapidly diminish. They would have to split this between suppressing as much of the Russian artillery as possible and suppressing pre-plotted forward Russian positions as much as possible. They didn't have enough guns to complete either, particularly with divided efforts, but they would have to create as favourable local conditions as they could for as long as they could.

They certainly didn't have enough to isolate the battlefield, fire harassing missions, evidently to fire smoke, and so you can see how their artillery staff was given an impossible task.

I'm surprised the infantry's organic mortars weren't screening for that breach attempt though.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1667650252587843584

thank u paul krugman

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is it possible they have no idea what they are doing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1667628470619328513

its happening!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Also from the genius of Paul:

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1667563208008187907?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The comparisons to D-Day are egregious considering what side of the war the Ukrainians calls back to with every vehicle marking and patch.

POLITICO This is Ukraine’s D-Day
WaPo D-Day dawns for Ukraine
CNN US defense secretary points to parallels with Ukraine war at D-Day anniversary ceremony

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol trump is literally the most democratic American politician

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Prune602/status/1667656958101299200

its true the avengers and the x men are getting all the credit but its actually the inhumans who are behind ukraines most decisive victories

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

krugman is left wing in America

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

where the gently caress is your chin @ the guy on the right

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

smdh at uzbekistan stealing ukraines valor by pretending like legendary ukrainian hero alexander the great was actually uzbeki

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Can't start a counteroffensive without the Ceremonial Sniffing of the Flag

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Some Guy TT posted:

smdh at uzbekistan stealing ukraines valor by pretending like legendary ukrainian hero alexander the great was actually uzbeki

uhh about that 'greek' alexander...

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

HiroProtagonist posted:

where the gently caress is your chin @ the guy on the right

smokin on frog-tek

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

paul_soccer12 posted:

Shan't be clicking this

Polandballs narrated by an obese British guy

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Fuligin posted:

uhh about that 'greek' alexander...

alexander was albanian

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/benpershing/status/1667502575791341570

why would poland do this

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Slavyangrad posted:

❗️ An urgent update on the operational situation on the Zaporozhye Front.

Heavy losses forced the enemy to subject plans to drastic adjustments:
The reserves deployed in the Krivoy Rog, Sumy, Kharkov directions are transferred to the directions:

1). settlements Gornyak, Kurakhovka, Krasnogorovka, Staromikhaylovka, Marinka;

2) settlements of Nevelskoye, Pervomayskoye, Vodyanoye;

3) n.p. Dzerzhinskoye, at least 2 brigades were deployed in the direction of Mayorsk and Gorlovka.
The reserves go through the Kramatorsk-Slavyansk transport hub, entering each direction in the Zaporozhye and Donetsk regions to reinforce the existing groupings.
For the current groupings, it is currently established:
According to the strategic plan of the enemy, it is planned to push through the front line of defense along the Nesteryanka-Novoselovka line and to the south, with the forces of four brigades: 65 Ombr, 128 Obr, 108 Obr, 15 Obr NSU), and provide a bridgehead for the introduction of the main forces of the strike force.

The main strike force is aimed at the direction of Orekhov - Tokmak - Melitopol, it is planned to ensure the advance with the forces of 10 AC, the main shock fist should be: 115, 116, 117, 118 ombr, which we talked about earlier.

Task: access to Melitopol to the north.

A flank attack is planned in the direction Malaya Tokmachka - Berdyansk, with the forces of 82 odshbr, 71 oembr, and 46 oambr, with the task of seizing control on the line of the settlement of Urozhaynoye, Novopoltavka, Semyonovka.

Task: Covering the left flank of the main group.

In the future, it is planned to conduct raid operations as part of battalion-tactical groups with the forces of: 46 detachments and 1 Special Forces "Azov" in the directions of the settlement of Mordvinovka, Novovasilevka, Botieva.

Objective: to capture the frontier along the coast of the Sea of ​​Azov Stepanovka the first, Botievo and prevent the landing of amphibious assault forces of the RF Armed Forces.

The forces of the main offensive grouping up to 12 brigades (47, 66, 115, 116, 117, 118 OMBR, 128 OGSHBR, 108 OBTR, 15 OBRON NGU, 82 ODSHBR, 71 OEBR, 46 OEMBR)

In total, for the offensive operation, including reserves (including brigades of marines, as well as units located in the Kryvyi Rih direction, included in the single plan of the operation in the Zaporozhye direction), at the moment the enemy has prepared:
Manpower - up to 56 thousand people (68 battalions)
Tanks - up to 350.
AFV of all types - up to 1000
Field artillery guns and mortars - up to 500.
MLRS - up to 140 units.
(From these figures it is necessary to subtract the number of those destroyed in recent days)

IMPORTANT. The Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine is carrying out information sabotage, spreading information that the Armed Forces of Ukraine are finally bogged down due to lack of funds to continue the offensive operation.
Under no circumstances can you trust this information, it is designed to weaken the vigilance of the RF Armed Forces, the enemy has more than enough forces.

The enemy will throw everything he has into battle, regardless of losses, you must use this to inflict critical damage on him.

https://t.me/SLGmaps/328

#source
(from t.me/Slavyangrad/50300, via tgsa)

tl;dr Ukraine's sending in reinforcements.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

they've never been great at saying "no" to the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

im taking heavy moral damage, send help

Here have a plastic 1:48 F16, some assembly & painting required.