Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Anony Mouse posted:

Why do some buttons make a continuous sound when you hover them?

You have an accessibility feature turned on for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there anything in the game that can boost item level, like in Destiny 2 though I forget what it is called? I got this ring and I am wondering if I can keep using it.

EDIT: I know there is Upgrade but that tops out. That said, it would make sense if that is the point and I just answered my own question.

This is exactly the reason the Aspects system exists. When the rest of the stats on that are holding you back then you find a good rare, extract the orange text, and imprint it onto the new item. You can only do this once before needing to find another, but it's really good.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Uhhhh, something is wrong with my "Upgrade" here, why is it lowering my Lucky Hit chance by a lot

The current roll is at the high end of its range and the new roll is at the low end. The ranges overlap so it's possible an upgrade might be a downgrade. These values are all seeded when it dropped so that item may be a dead end.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

You don't need to learn the lingo to run the T1 cinematic leveling experience and hitting the imps with any random stick will finish the campaign. Afterwards if you want to get on the current endgame treadmill, there are only a few viable skill combos that 95% of the gold farmers and internet beggars run because the majority of skills in this game are so anemic they can be considered cosmetic.

That mostly seems right but I'm surprised rend is so much lower than hota, what's this data come from?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm at P73 and starting to feel myself drop off a little so I'll just post my thoughts now. This is me having played D2 and D3 for thousands of hours each over the course of my lifetime and having seen pretty much everything those games have to offer at the highest possible level (never found a Zod rune though :argh:). I was pretty down on Diablo IV from the start, wasn't a huge fan of anything during the beta, and after having taken an Arclash Sorc through a few NM30s and experiencing most of the content with a proper endgame setup... well unsurprisingly I'm still pretty eh about the entire experience. It has some good ideas like the Paragon boards and legendary aspects, but for every potentially interesting system, it's bogged down by lethargic game design that feels like it belongs in an MMO instead of an ARPG. Which honestly shoudn't be surprising to anyone, since I believe most of the developers who ended up shipping D4 initially started on WoW. And this lethargy extends to absolutely everything from class design to spell effects to the slowness of movement in a way that just gradually wears on me. The mounts, the "live events," the world bosses and such do absolutely nothing for me and kind of ruin the whole distillation of ARPGs that I absolutely love, which is getting into a flow state of endlessly killing monsters at lightspeed for the eternal promise of phat loot. Here everything is so restrained, so calculated, and ultimately kinda dull. Having to slowly walk around town with no teleport and the vendors all spaced out with no consistency to their arrangement per zone, having to trudge to the instance for almost a minute just to start an NM dungeon, all these little things might seem unimportant (they are, really) but they seriously interrupt the way I like to play these games.

I think it doesn't help that I started with Sorc, who I'm sorry to say is a pale imitation of the D2 Sorc and especially the D3 Wizard, two of my favorite classes ever. I loved my Nova Sorc from D2, the bold class silhouette and galaxy-bending magic of the D3 Wiz, and right now that class fantasy is totally lacking at the higher levels of the game. Slam all four defensive skills on your bars and feebly cast Arc Lash while trying not to fall asleep in between Frost Novas. That kind of thing is fixable with patches, but the wisdom in making her go OOM after like 3 casts and all her Core Skills super sucking makes you wonder where Blizzard's heads are at. It's like they kept the Wizard's high resource costs from D3 but forgot to give her Arcane Power instead of mana. Sorc needs a lot of work in pretty much every aspect of her design.

I recognize that I play these games at a different frequency and intensity than most people who just want to make their way through the story and be done with it, and for those players, I think D4 is a good time. The story isn't too bad and the environments are very nice to look at -- Scosglen and Kehjistan in particular. But it quickly falls apart after the campaign and I don't really feel any intense desire to level up another character or try out a new build in the same way that kept me coming back to each new D3 season for over 10 years. Blizzard hardly needs my endorsement though, and it seems like most people are enjoying it, so I'm happy for them. :) It's just not working for me right now.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Uhhhh, something is wrong with my "Upgrade" here, why is it lowering my Lucky Hit chance by a lot

You hit an item level breakpoint where the range changes so everything gets rerolled

CBD Corndog fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 11, 2023

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

II don't really feel any intense desire to level up another character or try out a new build in the same way that kept me coming back to each new D3 season for over 10 years.

I honestly think its because there just arent enough viable skills to try out at the moment. There is a reason that the list posted earlier in the thread shows about 70% of players using the same build. You have one or two outliers among three to four absolute poo poo abilities with no synergy and no good aspects backing them up. So if you make a rogue you have either twisting blades or penetrating shot to choose from and if you try to get fancy with it you'll encounter massive resistance in later NM dungeons.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Clocks posted:

You have an accessibility feature turned on for some reason.

Nah it’s something else, very rarely a button will make a continuous hover sound effect when hovered.

BombiTheZombie posted:

I honestly think its because there just arent enough viable skills to try out at the moment. There is a reason that the list posted earlier in the thread shows about 70% of players using the same build. You have one or two outliers among three to four absolute poo poo abilities with no synergy and no good aspects backing them up. So if you make a rogue you have either twisting blades or penetrating shot to choose from and if you try to get fancy with it you'll encounter massive resistance in later NM dungeons.

So this poo poo doesn’t get much better? Most of the skills and aspects seem super lame and don’t work together well at all. Sorc has a skill that adds 1% damage for each active conjugation, capped at 3%. Um, what? How am I supposed to break the game completely with this useless bullshit?

Also, cooldowns are out of control. The default CD on frost nova is what, 23 seconds? Ice armor is 20 seconds and only gives a 33% barrier? Everything just feels underpowered or overpriced in terms of cost/CD.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 11, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fighting Ashava as a world boss again in release was really different than in the "beta". Everyone really was under leveled for that fight there. On Tier III we melted the thing under 5 minutes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People herd towards skills that influences highlight regardless of “viability” so you always have to see if there is nuance

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I kind of wish they would streamline item stats a bit, I do not even bother to search for upgrades mid-dungeon because it takes too long to try and go through everything and see what is an upgrade or not. Is 7% overpower damage better than 2% increased damage to ranged vs 20 int (this is rhetorical, I don't care about the actual math)? Why are there so many stats that behave similarly, whether it is conditional damage or overpower as a separate crit stat?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I put like 80% of my resources into minion related buffs, and have like a few items that buff bone spear and it still does the majority of my damage. Though I just got a weapon that buffed corpse explosion as well and it's doing good work now too.

So like, some skills are just great. Bone spear is great. If I dedicated myself to bone spear I would probably be flying through the game way faster. Lvl 70 right now.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

I'm at P73 and starting to feel myself drop off a little so I'll just post my thoughts now. This is me having played D2 and D3 for thousands of hours each over the course of my lifetime and having seen pretty much everything those games have to offer at the highest possible level (never found a Zod rune though :argh:). I was pretty down on Diablo IV from the start, wasn't a huge fan of anything during the beta, and after having taken an Arclash Sorc through a few NM30s and experiencing most of the content with a proper endgame setup... well unsurprisingly I'm still pretty eh about the entire experience. It has some good ideas like the Paragon boards and legendary aspects, but for every potentially interesting system, it's bogged down by lethargic game design that feels like it belongs in an MMO instead of an ARPG. Which honestly shoudn't be surprising to anyone, since I believe most of the developers who ended up shipping D4 initially started on WoW. And this lethargy extends to absolutely everything from class design to spell effects to the slowness of movement in a way that just gradually wears on me. The mounts, the "live events," the world bosses and such do absolutely nothing for me and kind of ruin the whole distillation of ARPGs that I absolutely love, which is getting into a flow state of endlessly killing monsters at lightspeed for the eternal promise of phat loot. Here everything is so restrained, so calculated, and ultimately kinda dull. Having to slowly walk around town with no teleport and the vendors all spaced out with no consistency to their arrangement per zone, having to trudge to the instance for almost a minute just to start an NM dungeon, all these little things might seem unimportant (they are, really) but they seriously interrupt the way I like to play these games.

I think it doesn't help that I started with Sorc, who I'm sorry to say is a pale imitation of the D2 Sorc and especially the D3 Wizard, two of my favorite classes ever. I loved my Nova Sorc from D2, the bold class silhouette and galaxy-bending magic of the D3 Wiz, and right now that class fantasy is totally lacking at the higher levels of the game. Slam all four defensive skills on your bars and feebly cast Arc Lash while trying not to fall asleep in between Frost Novas. That kind of thing is fixable with patches, but the wisdom in making her go OOM after like 3 casts and all her Core Skills super sucking makes you wonder where Blizzard's heads are at. It's like they kept the Wizard's high resource costs from D3 but forgot to give her Arcane Power instead of mana. Sorc needs a lot of work in pretty much every aspect of her design.

I recognize that I play these games at a different frequency and intensity than most people who just want to make their way through the story and be done with it, and for those players, I think D4 is a good time. The story isn't too bad and the environments are very nice to look at -- Scosglen and Kehjistan in particular. But it quickly falls apart after the campaign and I don't really feel any intense desire to level up another character or try out a new build in the same way that kept me coming back to each new D3 season for over 10 years. Blizzard hardly needs my endorsement though, and it seems like most people are enjoying it, so I'm happy for them. :) It's just not working for me right now.

Outside of the story, it gives me formulaic ubisoft game vibes. The MMO influence def makes me like the game less. I'm very much enjoying parts of the game, but the more I play, the less I like certain things.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

euphronius posted:

People herd towards skills that influences highlight regardless of “viability” so you always have to see if there is nuance

It's always possible but I don't think there's any super forbidden Sorc tech to be discovered. Frost Nova makes you do damage and none of her actual skills do, meanwhile she gets like 40 different ways to increase DPS with barriers on. So it doesn't take a genius to realize you can spam defensive skills to give yourself barriers all the time so that your abilities actually have a chance to kill monsters.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Zotix posted:

The build only wants CDR on the amulet, and "3 to envenom" if you can get it. Not sure if which amulet you're talking about or which build.

There’s a stormwolf build on icy veins that uses the melted heart of selig amulet. It seems hard to get. I guess yours is like a poison shred thing?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’m just starting to dip my toes into the post-campaign wt3 content and so far, it’s very enjoyable. Things hurt, loot’s dropping, got my first unique. Honeymoon period? Maybe. But I like it so far.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

At wow launch (back in 2004 or whatever) their concern was that every class has at least one viable build

Maybe that is their strategy on release

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

euphronius posted:

At wow launch (back in 2004 or whatever) their concern was that every class has at least one viable build

That also meant if you could heal you had to heal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sadly it did

I think bear tank had a bit of play

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

euphronius posted:

Sadly it did

I think bear tank had a bit of play

As a feral druid before it was cool, bear tank did not have much play. Pre-BC I mostly just farmed LW mats once I hit 60.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I agree even though I don't have too much experience playing these types of games. Both poe and d3 made it pretty dang easy to go in and out of dungeons where you could kill monsters. I think that's something very important that they fix in d4. Just let us teleport to the entrance.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

I feel like in the year 2023 they should know how to make video games at this point. Ofc this is blizzard we're talking about, I can't imagine how much talent they've hemorrhaged over the years.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It’s interesting because like 70% of barb’s kit is lifted straight from d3. They should have a wealth of player data to pull from about what works and what doesn’t.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They literally cut an entire act to get the game out the door, hopefully they get things together with patches going forward once they have time to breath and the suits see that money rolling in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well they had an A+ release so i don’t know what lessons are being learned

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm most of the way through the campaign and I'm finding all the boss/miniboss fights insanely tedious. Way too much health. I had one fort boss get bugged out and stuck on a pillar with maybe 2/3hp left and it still took me nearly two minutes of uninterrupted dps to kill it. These bosses just aren't interesting enough to be stuck fighting for this long.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

There’s a stormwolf build on icy veins that uses the melted heart of selig amulet. It seems hard to get. I guess yours is like a poison shred thing?

Dunno about icy veins. I'm using the one off of the sanctuary discord made by Sanctum. The poison is just a more damage multiplier activated by toxic claws and amped by envenom.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kaddish posted:

I don't care about the cosmetics for sale. I'm sorry I have disappointed you. I hope we can heal from this.

It isn't about how you don't care. It's about the people who clearly do care, who do want the silly hat, who do gamble on lootboxes or whatever. My selfish reason is I just have very little tolerance towards ads. Hate them. Don't want it anywhere near games I play. Unless it's the razer footprints in POE that poo poo is dope.

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

It’s in the game because they know some whale will spend a paycheck on cosmetics. Any company that makes games would be an idiot not to monetize. Do I think it’s a morally good thing to do? No. Will I ever spend a dollar on Diablo skins? No. But I get why they do it.

Whether we like it or not, this is a thing that will always happen now. As consumers it is our job to not pay for that bullshit. That way they will at least only try to monetize cosmetics.

It's not just whales. They want whales of course but it's not just whales. Consumers can not pay for that bullshit, but they'll still play games with that bullshit, which is really just paying with their time (and/or you know money in case of not f2p) so nothing changes.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 11, 2023

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

SettingSun posted:

It’s interesting because like 70% of barb’s kit is lifted straight from d3. They should have a wealth of player data to pull from about what works and what doesn’t.

I mean, people played poo poo other then WW in D3 when it was strong enough, the main problem right now is that WW has about a million different ways to scale on top of being the easiest "buzzsaw goes *brrrrrrrrzzzzz*" skill to use. I'm pretty sure WW has the most aspects dedicated to it as well, while stuff like Upheaval has... one? And it's technically a WW aspect as well.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

i like the mmo aspects and i’m just level 50 / fresh wt3 sorc but otherwise i agree with a lot of this post. game needs lots of work to be a good arpg instead of whatever it is right now

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

You don't need to learn the lingo to run the T1 cinematic leveling experience and hitting the imps with any random stick will finish the campaign. Afterwards if you want to get on the current endgame treadmill, there are only a few viable skill combos that 95% of the gold farmers and internet beggars run because the majority of skills in this game are so anemic they can be considered cosmetic.

Interesting; thanks for signal boosting this! I've stayed out of meta research for now, just feeling things out.

I will say it's amazing how much my 77 Barb's build is not this. I've started thinking of it as the Unbothered build:

- Significant damage reduction through Armor, Frenzy, and Fortify
- Ridiculous Thorns (with a high chance to AoE proc)
- Broad AoE through HotA
- Mobility/Fury gen through Leap
- Berserker via Wrath and Death Blow
- 3 Unstoppables with reasonable cooldowns (1 of which is auto)
- Adequate self-heals thru Fury consumption

Totally possible it falls down at 90+, and I'm probably not in the speed records, but it seems fast enough, it's virtually immortal, and it's fairly chill to play (much of the dmg output is passive). Gap closers are less important when pretty much every ranged enemy one-shots themselves on Thorns. And most importantly, I'm having a ton of fun with it.

The only central Unique is Razorplate. Battle Trance is nice but not necessary.

isk fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 11, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

I mean, people played poo poo other then WW in D3 when it was strong enough, the main problem right now is that WW has about a million different ways to scale on top of being the easiest "buzzsaw goes *brrrrrrrrzzzzz*" skill to use. I'm pretty sure WW has the most aspects dedicated to it as well, while stuff like Upheaval has... one? And it's technically a WW aspect as well.

I've only found one thing aspect that interacts with Hammer of the Ancients too. Most of the barb gear I find thinks I'm either running bleeds or WW. Kinda sucks.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I am willing to bet that most of the issues around build variety will shake out clean in six months to a year. I agree with the sentiment that its pretty clear the skills didn't get the balance passes they deserved, and that building out, while interesting on its own, just isn't as rewarding as it could be because of the mentioned bad numbers on skills.

I'm still so confused about the game in some ways. Deliberate combat in this type of game is mostly an improvement, and even cooldown management doesn't bother me all that much, but if cds and resource generation are actually supposed to be meaningful bottlenecks then the skills need some buffing to compensate for that. If I have to build up resource or frantically dodge poo poo to stay in the game, make my power spikes huge to compensate. Right now it's waiting with a flaccid reward at the end of the wait.

But the good thing is all the issues are solvable by numbers tweaking and, as said above, broadening the aspect options to cover more skills. That's all on the level of seasonal changes or patches and I think it's realistic to think we'd see some substantial change within a year. As to whether it'll be the changes people want, who the gently caress knows? But variety in builds is what keeps games like this interesting for me, so I'd like to see at minimum a couple possible aspects per individual skill.

Incidentally for those of you with more hours than me, are there any core spenders that straight don't have one at all? Are there any interesting aspects for basics? Most basics are pretty flimsy but some are neat, the melee ones especially so that could be pretty interesting.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Caidin posted:

I've only found one thing aspect that interacts with Hammer of the Ancients too. Most of the barb gear I find thinks I'm either running bleeds or WW. Kinda sucks.

I'm pretty sure there is the only one HoTA aspect. Mind you, it's pretty great (the quake one, which can double it's range) but still. Also HoTA has the problem of forcing you to use your 2H Bludgeon when the Technique for it kind of sucks compared to 2H Swords/Axes

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

bobtheconqueror posted:

As a feral druid before it was cool, bear tank did not have much play. Pre-BC I mostly just farmed LW mats once I hit 60.

The one thing I remember using a druid tank for in vanilla was 4 horsemen, because we were running on fumes by the time we finished naxx and didn't have 8 raid geared warriors

feller
Jul 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I played wizard at d3 launch and it sucked a lot. The whole time, IIRC, was just spamming hydra and running away because literally everything one shot you. I'm disappointed but not surprised that blizzard screwed up in the same way, but at least they'll probably fix it eventually. But who knows how long that will be though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

gotta admit this mostly makes me want to figure out use cases for the least used skills. I'll never hit gold in the face of people sho spend 18 hours a day running combos over and over, but it sure beats being a slave to the meta.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

Ringing the bell on this post lmfao

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Unbelievably grim

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Hashy posted:

Unbelievably grim

It is if you are a fextralife guide reader to be sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

isk posted:

The only central Unique is Razorplate. Battle Trance is nice but not necessary.

If I unironically decide to take up one of my armor slots with the single-affix Razorplate, is it a requirement to make porcupine noises the entire time things are skewering thenselves on me?