Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

What does gently caress up the paragon board mean? Only take white nodes? Just take stuff that does the same thing so you don't spread your damage, it's not that complicated. Like I took the minion necro board first and beelined for all those rare nodes.

You can mess up late game by choosing worthless Paragon boards just for its unique, not taking the shortest paths to magic/rare nodes that aren't useless for your current build while also making your way towards attaching the next one. Their attachment order matters in how much of each stat the rare node Bonus prerequsite costs. Some unrelated boards might even have a few nodes in the corner that augment your build, so its attachment orientation very much matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

You can mess up late game by choosing worthless Paragon boards just for its unique, not taking the shortest paths to magic/rare nodes that aren't useless for your current build while also making your way towards attaching the next one. Their attachment order matters in how much of each stat the rare node Bonus prerequsite costs. Some unrelated boards might even have a few nodes in the corner that augment your build, so its attachment orientation very much matters.

Can't you respec paragon boards? Is it like hundreds of thousands of gold at high levels to do that?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Is there any reason to not just drop to WT1 to run around the map and hoover up all the Altars of Lilith, etc really quickly?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

DaveKap posted:

I think Diablo 4 might be my favorite of them all at this point but one thing, one really awful thing is a sticking point for me right now.

https://i.imgur.com/T7LSciU.mp4

The aggro as a necromancer is completely hosed. If you want to prevent snipes like this from happening, you have to let your skeles fight offscreen, which is lame. Call me crazy but minion builds should only be this deadly (for the player) if you position yourself poorly or your minions get melted from poor defenses or simply too-powerful enemies. Instead it's deadly if I happen to face an elite who decides minions don't exist and I'm the only dude in the room worth killing. That enemy wouldn't be wrong but that doesn't make for a fun experience.

I've definitely noticed this from particular enemies, yeah. Elite zombies and all of my two Butcher encounters have looked like that, although I'm not so high level that I get one shot yet. I think some of the enemies are just programmed to beeline the player regardless of minions.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
What weapon should a necro be using? I'm specced into summoner/ blight DoT, but I'm not a huge fan of it. How's a blood necro these days?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

Can't you respec paragon boards? Is it like hundreds of thousands of gold at high levels to do that?

Well I recently got a chievi for spending 100 points and it's about non-decreasing 4.5k gold to refund a single point, so do the math.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Well I recently got a chievi for spending 100 points and it's about non-decreasing 4.5k gold to refund a single point, so do the math.

Yeah it doesn't seem that bad, but you definitely want to think about what you're doing because it's not literally free. Selling one yellow nets you 10 respec points sooooooooooooooooooooooo yeah

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

bobtheconqueror posted:

I've definitely noticed this from particular enemies, yeah. Elite zombies and all of my two Butcher encounters have looked like that, although I'm not so high level that I get one shot yet. I think some of the enemies are just programmed to beeline the player regardless of minions.

Every time I encounter the Butcher he just acts like minions don't exist and bee lines my emo necro rear end until I run out of resources and die. It's kind of silly.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

You don't need to learn the lingo to run the T1 cinematic leveling experience and hitting the imps with any random stick will finish the campaign. Afterwards if you want to get on the current endgame treadmill, there are only a few viable skill combos that 95% of the gold farmers and internet beggars run because the majority of skills in this game are so anemic they can be considered cosmetic.

I'm really surprised Flurry's only 5% of rogues. I solo'd the level 70 capstone dungeon at 58, been holding my own on T4 content, kill stuff pretty quick, don't die too often. It's a good kit.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Valicious posted:

What weapon should a necro be using? I'm specced into summoner/ blight DoT, but I'm not a huge fan of it. How's a blood necro these days?

Personally I've had a real hard time using anything other than a two-hander effectively. DoTs in particular don't seem to scale at all with attack speed so you want a slower weapon with higher per-hit damage to make your numbers as big as possible. I'm currently doing a blood build, which doesn't rely on DoTs, and I really enjoy the overpower mechanics that it uses. Still using big two-handers but I'm not sure if it's as ideal there, as attack speed could be useful for more frequent overpower procs.

Edit: I still haven't found a good use for shields. The +80% main hand damage means you effectively have 90% damage compared to having two weapons or a two-hander equipped. That they have inherent thorns is something that intrigues me because I love a thorns build and minions inherit at least 30% thorns, but compared to just hitting like a truck with a two-hander I'm not sure if it's optimal at all.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 11, 2023

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This track, Descent, is so good, drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSHN5p-ZOQ&t=7719s

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does anybody know if the windwall effect from elites that slows down projectile speed also reduces their damage? I have this one unique that makes bone spear leave trails of explosions behind it, and the wind wall makes all the explosions happen on top of each other, which is funny. But would suck if it also made it do less damage.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah it doesn't seem that bad, but you definitely want to think about what you're doing because it's not literally free. Selling one yellow nets you 10 respec points sooooooooooooooooooooooo yeah

The cost of refund scales depending on how many total points you have earned. I'm level 54 right now and the cost to switch paragon points on my only board is 4 gold. Between 50 and 54 it was free.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gently caress i need the storm wolf unique helm, these just dropped and dang

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Propaganda Hour posted:

The cost of refund scales depending on how many total points you have earned. I'm level 54 right now and the cost to switch paragon points on my only board is 4 gold. Between 50 and 54 it was free.

Yeah I'm level 70 and its 3500 to take out a node. If it goes up to 10 times that by level 100 then yeah it could be a little prohibitive to reset all of your paragon points.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I said come in! posted:

Just getting one shot like this is an issue right now regardless of builds. What is silly about this is that it happens from just normal mobs, not even bosses do it. it’s something blizzard needs to fix because it’s not intentional.
Can I get a source on "it's not intentional" because unless I see otherwise, the passive that prevents your minions from dying instantly at certain percentages of health makes me think it is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh neat, the palm trees in Kehjistan react to being Arc Lashed. It's not Crysis-level tree destruction physics, but still cool nonetheless.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Can I get a source on "it's not intentional" because unless I see otherwise, the passive that prevents your minions from dying instantly at certain percentages of health makes me think it is.

I only get chased down by monsters every so often. And I think I recognize the one that did it to you as one that has done it to me.

edit: nevermind that's just a bandit

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Ytlaya posted:

The game should have a special legendary that you can only get if you never kill wildlife.

Or it has some ability that acts as a debuff based on the number of critters you've murdered.

when i saw two turtles crawling up a sand dune i stopped to watch them cause it looked cool. then i had to kill some poo poo nearby and my chain lightning flew across the screen and zapped both of them, i felt bad

sorcs care nothing for lesser beings

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Agreed. I dig the soundtrack as a whole. Each region has its own identity. Helltide's music is properly spooky. And there are enough callbacks/similarities to the series music

Along with other elements, it feels somewhat like The WItcher III's soundtrack. Has a similar Weird vibe without being derivative

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

I only get chased down by monsters every so often. And I think I recognize the one that did it to you as one that has done it to me.

edit: nevermind that's just a bandit

Yeah I think it's just some enemies are like, focused attackers, and go after the player to the exclusion of minions. Getting one shot by a random elite seems like the sort of thing that typically happens in ARPGs once the difficulty gets higher, but yeah it's frustrating. I would say the bone golem's taunt is kind of useful for those enemies, or the iron golem's stun attack if you're able to aim it well.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I may have complained about instant death from bad aggro but I do wanna say having moments like this in PvP just makes it feel so fun.

https://i.imgur.com/BUPLc1a.mp4

I uhh... think that's a level 74 Barb. Man I wish I could timg mp4s.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 11, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Man that cinematic in act 6 was fuckin' rad.

Also I heard there is a hard to find secret location with rose petals and it's just Lilith taking a big ol' poo poo

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry, another question about unlockable aspects: Does it mean that items with that aspect will start to drop, or is it purely for your Codex of Power?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Sorry, another question about unlockable aspects: Does it mean that items with that aspect will start to drop, or is it purely for your Codex of Power?

I don't think the unlocks are related to possible affixes on drops. They just let you add them using the enchanting stuff at the occultist.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

Codex of Power aspects are also drops - and can roll higher. But not every drop is a Codex of Power aspect. Codex of Power is only there to give players access to good aspects for various builds at a baseline.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
i need to get to lvl 100 faster currwently about to hit 81, send me a request if u wanna run iron hold and blind burrows or whatever other dungeon is meta for exp: kappa#1266

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you feel like you hit a wall at 70, it's cause there is one

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

goferchan posted:

I'm really surprised Flurry's only 5% of rogues. I solo'd the level 70 capstone dungeon at 58, been holding my own on T4 content, kill stuff pretty quick, don't die too often. It's a good kit.

Word.

I think I settled on a rogue build for most of the game and with fury I'm not even taking an ultimate

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

the wall at 70 is real, but a little less bad than the graph implies because you also jump to T4 by then, and get another 100% bonus xp

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So is there no level scaling/caps in the PvP areas? Twice now in two separate areas I've just been instakilled by somebody 10 levels over me.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

So is there no level scaling/caps in the PvP areas? Twice now in two separate areas I've just been instakilled by somebody 10 levels over me.

They pretty much said they have no plans to balance PvP

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I mean, people played poo poo other then WW in D3 when it was strong enough, the main problem right now is that WW has about a million different ways to scale on top of being the easiest "buzzsaw goes *brrrrrrrrzzzzz*" skill to use. I'm pretty sure WW has the most aspects dedicated to it as well, while stuff like Upheaval has... one? And it's technically a WW aspect as well.

Remember when people said that not having sets would let them open up builds more? Lmao. Instead you just equip every "make WW good" legendary and call it a day.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Ytlaya posted:

Jeez, the (Act 1, pretty much the first boss in the game) Vhenard fight was miserable on this Barbarian I created, and that's with the 6 potions I have unlocked from my other characters. Just doing piddly damage while having to get into melee range. From what I understand this class is good at higher levels, but it's really dire early on. Took me 4 tries to beat this fight that wasn't very difficult on my Sorcerer or Rogue.

Just wanted to mention I'm only in the 30's for level but that first boss fight was so loving hard for me with my barbarian also. I think the fact that their attack pattern really punished close attacks really made it hell on earth for me. But it got a lot better once I broke about level 20 or so.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I got clowned in the PVP area trying to unlock shrines.
One day I will be the clown-er and not the clown-ee.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

They pretty much said they have no plans to balance PvP

I know they said they weren't going to do much but letting somebody who's level 66 camp a PvP zone filled with level 53 players is even less than I expected I guess. It might actually be a little interesting if they enforced a level range for the instances.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Just wanted to mention I'm only in the 30's for level but that first boss fight was so loving hard for me with my barbarian also. I think the fact that their attack pattern really punished close attacks really made it hell on earth for me. But it got a lot better once I broke about level 20 or so.

Yeah, I'm in the mid-20s and it's basically fine now (only problems I've had were a Butcher fight - that just killed me instantly - and that spider dungeon boss where I kept getting immobilized by its web). That fight was just really tough because it filled the screen with enemies/attacks and I wasn't high enough level to mitigate/avoid the damage for long enough to kill stuff (which also took long due to being low-level).

I think the biggest problem was Barbarian relying on attacks to build its resource. I needed to stay in melee range to do non-triviwl damage.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can’t even tell what level does for people in pvp because I have killed way higher people than me and also been killed by lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Barb starting levels seem very hard imo, don't let it bury you as the class picks up a ton of steam after 30.

Druids seem unbeatAble in PVP, just unending sustain and chase down.